Is 2500:1 contrast ratio good? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 06-25-2009, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am considering ordering the new optoma hd200x dlp projector today.

the website says it has a 2500:1 contrast ratio and 1500 lumen brightness.

Is this pretty adequate for a 1080p dlp projector?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 06-25-2009, 10:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 319
It'll be fine. Getting it from costco canada?

Sounds like a good deal. If I didn't have a HD70, I'd pick it up.

Proud Member of "Bass-a-holic Anonymous" - Dual Bottle of Choice: SVS PC-13 Ultra + SVS PC-12 NSD. Drink of Choice: Ready Player One Delorean Race
DaLite 0.9 Grey 110" screen. Epson 3000 1080P Projection. 7.2 SVS and Energy Reference + Parasound THX Ultra Amplification system.
post #3 of 12 Old 06-26-2009, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter

yes I`m getting it from the unmentionable place.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 06-26-2009, 04:03 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 20
2500.1 is a respectable contrast for a non DI projector. DI projectors most of them when you turn it off the native CR could be 1000.1 like the benq 1080p machine is. Optoma's DC2 H77 was 2200.1 and the H79 3000.1 both of those had very fine images.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
http://www.videodementia.com/sales/TomWithWires.jpg
post #5 of 12 Old 06-28-2009, 04:02 PM

I am very disappointed with the HD200X. The image is way too grainy (images always appear slightly out of focus), dark scenes have a lot of noise and the fan ON/OFF modulation noise when DI is enabled will drive you insane (so essentially a useless feature).

I'm projecting 12ft away to 100" elite screen using Sony PS3, HDMI connection and BD disk.

The Infocus X10 image is far superior and crisp/sharp. I had purchased the X10 and returned it for this projector due to the extended life rating of the lamp 3-4k hours instead of 2-2.5k hours for the Infocus. I regret it.

The good news for the HD200X is that the image is brighter, more colorful (better contrast) has a shorter throw (not that I care) and the projector is substantially smaller in size (not that the Infocus size bothered me but I could see it being an issue for some). Fan noise is comparable (with DI and high altitude turned OFF on the Optoma). I also owned the HD65 and sold it to upgrade to a 1080P projector due to the screen door effect.

I may keep it since I use the projector mostly for gaming and as such may get more mileage out of this projector. But if you intend on watching mostly movies, go for the X10 (both projectors carry the same price tag at CDN $1,400) and skin tones / faces appear remarkably real-life and natural.

Papagus
post #6 of 12 Old 06-29-2009, 12:22 PM

I just ordered one today from the same place. I am returning an Epson HC 720 because Epson decided to play games on their rebate deal. I'm new to projectors but I loved the picture of the Epson. I hope the Optoma is as good.
post #7 of 12 Old 06-29-2009, 12:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by papagus View Post

I am very disappointed with the HD200X. The image is way too grainy (images always appear slightly out of focus), dark scenes have a lot of noise and the fan ON/OFF modulation noise when DI is enabled will drive you insane (so essentially a useless feature).

I'm projecting 12ft away to 100" elite screen using Sony PS3, HDMI connection and BD disk.

The Infocus X10 image is far superior and crisp/sharp. I had purchased the X10 and returned it for this projector due to the extended life rating of the lamp 3-4k hours instead of 2-2.5k hours for the Infocus. I regret it.

The good news for the HD200X is that the image is brighter, more colorful (better contrast) has a shorter throw (not that I care) and the projector is substantially smaller in size (not that the Infocus size bothered me but I could see it being an issue for some). Fan noise is comparable (with DI and high altitude turned OFF on the Optoma). I also owned the HD65 and sold it to upgrade to a 1080P projector due to the screen door effect.

I may keep it since I use the projector mostly for gaming and as such may get more mileage out of this projector. But if you intend on watching mostly movies, go for the X10 (both projectors carry the same price tag at CDN $1,400) and skin tones / faces appear remarkably real-life and natural.

Papagus

Please tell us about your setup for the HD200X besides distance and screen size.

What content did you view?
What source and resolution?
What cabling and cable maker?
What other equipment in the video signal path?
What menu settings were used? Include advanced settings.

What is your PJ history and experience level. Please cite with details.

// Front Projection Enthusiast //
BenQ W1070 - 103" EasyFlex Painted Screen
Onkyo TX-NR646 - JBL Northridge 5.1 - SVS PB-1000
Roku Ultra - Amazon FireTv - Sony BDPS5500 - Kangaroo PC
post #8 of 12 Old 06-30-2009, 07:04 PM

[=reconlabtech;16740482]Please tell us about your setup for the HD200X besides distance and screen size.

What content did you view?
What source and resolution?
What cabling and cable maker?
What other equipment in the video signal path?
What menu settings were used? Include advanced settings.

What is your PJ history and experience level. Please cite with details.[/quote]

I tried mostly BD disks using a PS3 and played COD4 from my XBOX.360
Gaming using the XBOX was good (not that it was better than the X10 - going by memory of course since I returned both projectors).

The only resolution I tried was 1080P. Consequently I can not provide feedback for standard definition or HD-ready definition capabilities of the HD200X.

The projector is wired from the PS3 via the SONY STRDG-820 via 25ft HDMI cable. I tried bypassing the SONY receiver thinking it may reduce the noise in the image and used a 6ft cable instead... but no improvement. I only tried the HDMI connections.

The projector was ceiling mounted in my basement (lightning is not an issue). Neither the size of the projector was ever an issue for me.

My experience with projectors is very limited. As I mentioned earlier, I bought the HD65 in March (my first projector) and the kids and I fell in love with the big screen. We since decided to upgrade to 1080P and bought the X10 and we were impressed with the clarity and sharpness of the image. BD images looked real-life. I mistakenly thought that the Optoma HD200X, being a new release, would be a superior projector with greater lamp life. I was greatly mistaken about the former!

I found the dark scenes on the HD200X to be noisy-grainy and very distracting for watching a movie. Daytime movie scenes were good but not better than the X10. I tried some setting (AI on/off, various gamma and modes, contrast, sharpness etc..) nothing overly scientific, and I do not own a calibration disk either. So my experience is limited to trial and error settings. My two biggest gripes with the HD200X are the image noise on dark scenes and the grainy / lack of sharpness of images which, no matter what the settings, would not disappear. The AI feature also caused the fan to go from full speed to normal speed quite often which will drive you insane even if the projector is not directly above you.

Apologies if I disappointed potential buyers but perhaps some other owners too can share their findings as well and compare.

Although I prefer the X10 overall, I am still trying to find a projector (affordable) that limits motion blur. Since big screen gaming is my primary interest, I am trying to find a projector that has minimal blur. It is noticeable when my kids play Rock Band and the lyrics scroll on the screen on fast songs, the words get blurry. The blur also becomes dizzying when playing first person shooter like COD4. All three projectors were comparable on motion blur. I know LCD projectors are worst, so I'm still on the lookout for a better gaming projector>

Let me know if you personally have experience with low blur DLP projectors.

Papagus
post #9 of 12 Old 06-30-2009, 07:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by papagus View Post

I tried mostly BD disks using a PS3 and played COD4 from my XBOX.360
Gaming using the XBOX was good (not that it was better than the X10 - going by memory of course since I returned both projectors).

The only resolution I tried was 1080P. Consequently I can not provide feedback for standard definition or HD-ready definition capabilities of the HD200X.

The projector is wired from the PS3 via the SONY STRDG-820 via 25ft HDMI cable. I tried bypassing the SONY receiver thinking it may reduce the noise in the image and used a 6ft cable instead... but no improvement. I only tried the HDMI connections.

The projector was ceiling mounted in my basement (lightning is not an issue). Neither the size of the projector was ever an issue for me.

My experience with projectors is very limited. As I mentioned earlier, I bought the HD65 in March (my first projector) and the kids and I fell in love with the big screen. We since decided to upgrade to 1080P and bought the X10 and we were impressed with the clarity and sharpness of the image. BD images looked real-life. I mistakenly thought that the Optoma HD200X, being a new release, would be a superior projector with greater lamp life. I was greatly mistaken about the former!

I found the dark scenes on the HD200X to be noisy-grainy and very distracting for watching a movie. Daytime movie scenes were good but not better than the X10. I tried some setting (AI on/off, various gamma and modes, contrast, sharpness etc..) nothing overly scientific, and I do not own a calibration disk either. So my experience is limited to trial and error settings. My two biggest gripes with the HD200X are the image noise on dark scenes and the grainy / lack of sharpness of images which, no matter what the settings, would not disappear. The AI feature also caused the fan to go from full speed to normal speed quite often which will drive you insane even if the projector is not directly above you.

Apologies if I disappointed potential buyers but perhaps some other owners too can share their findings as well and compare.

Although I prefer the X10 overall, I am still trying to find a projector (affordable) that limits motion blur. Since big screen gaming is my primary interest, I am trying to find a projector that has minimal blur. It is noticeable when my kids play Rock Band and the lyrics scroll on the screen on fast songs, the words get blurry. The blur also becomes dizzying when playing first person shooter like COD4. All three projectors were comparable on motion blur. I know LCD projectors are worst, so I'm still on the lookout for a better gaming projector>

Let me know if you personally have experience with low blur DLP projectors.

Papagus

Thanks for providing the added detail. It helps to see what's going on and what was tried.

What would really help is if you provided all the settings from the menu options. grainy dark scenes can be from using things like edge enhancement controls and other settings most new users have no idea what they do. Motion blur could be due to frame rate, resolution conversion and other features that would also need to be looked at on the game machines, the receiver, and the PJ.

DLP is usually pretty good about motion blur and sharpness.

I'd like to hear more HD200x owners and their reports to see whether you got a bad PJ, a misconfigured PJ, or whether this is what you get from an HD200x.

// Front Projection Enthusiast //
BenQ W1070 - 103" EasyFlex Painted Screen
Onkyo TX-NR646 - JBL Northridge 5.1 - SVS PB-1000
Roku Ultra - Amazon FireTv - Sony BDPS5500 - Kangaroo PC
post #10 of 12 Old 07-01-2009, 07:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 307
And pictures!

post #11 of 12 Old 07-04-2009, 09:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

My 3 hour long experience with the HD200X is the opposite from papagus'.

We have a similar setup: 1080p image over 25ft HDMI cable on a white screen.
But I run an HTPC and don't have anything in between (receiver).

I spent some 2 minutes to adjust brightness/contrast and played The Day the Earth Stood Still blu-ray (ripped to hard drive).

The movie has enough dark scenes but I haven't noticed any excessive noise.
And I've seen the Infocus X10 as well and think it is barely as good as this one for 50%+ more $$ and half the lamp life.

Diogen.
post #12 of 12 Old 07-06-2009, 06:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked: 642
Just a quick note regarding the " Life" of these bulbs...

I would NOT let it be THE draw that gets me to buy a certain PJ, I see the claims just like everyone else.......

I had a Sharp DT-500, and the bulb literally blew up at 650 hrs, for no reason...
I have the Panny AX100, and the PJ has 9544 hrs, and is still on it's 2nd bulb, I was swapping out between the 2 bulbs as they aged,so I'm not sure which bulb this is, but I can say that they each have over 4K on them, and one of these bulbs lived through 6 months of the Iris issue, which seriously beat the crap out of that bulb(that was my 2nd bulb) turning it on a bunch of times.

Alot of the Hrs on the AX100 bulbs is on the "Normal" or Dynamic" settings, because I host alot of times, and that requires brightness....I also have the PJ on while I'm working on my laptop alot, so I usually have lights on (like now)...

I'm not saying these new bulbs with the big claims aren't better, just that I've seen bulbs go well past their "Ratings", and I've seen bulbs not even make their rating.

Why waste $ on more cheap stuff, it's like challenging a dragon with a pocket knife.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page