*Unofficial* Mitsubishi HC3800 Thread - Page 220 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 10Likes

post #6571 of 6597 Old 07-22-2017, 12:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 657 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Is anyone using a 4k ready A/V receiver with your HC3800? Because I cannot get my new Denon AVR-S530BT to play nice with my HC3800, using HDMI. I also tried doing it with a composite cable, and that wouldn't work either. I just get a blue screen, so I cannot do the Setup Assistant with the receiver. I already checked the HDMI cable from receiver to projector and it is good.

I just tried the receiver upstairs with my TV and it does work using composite, but will not work with HDMI.

Thanks.

Last edited by Jim McC; 07-22-2017 at 02:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6572 of 6597 Old 07-22-2017, 04:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1427 Post(s)
Liked: 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC View Post
Is anyone using a 4k ready A/V receiver with your HC3800? Because I cannot get my new Denon AVR-S530BT to play nice with my HC3800, using HDMI. I also tried doing it with a composite cable, and that wouldn't work either. I just get a blue screen, so I cannot do the Setup Assistant with the receiver. I already checked the HDMI cable from receiver to projector and it is good.

I just tried the receiver upstairs with my TV and it does work using composite, but will not work with HDMI.

Thanks.
Looking at the manual it's seems pretty straight forward. Connect HDMI cable to monitor out on the receiver and then to the projector. Then just hit Setup on the remote to get into the menu system. Since the cables are fine and the receiver's HDMI doesn't work on either the TV or the projector it's seems like a problem with the receiver.

Can you take it back and exchange it for the same model? Maybe you just got a bad one.

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
Dedicated ARC Genesis Thread
post #6573 of 6597 Old 07-22-2017, 09:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks Legairre. I appreciate all the help you've given me. I'm just fed up. I may just return it and forget about a 4k receiver until I get a 4k projector.

The manual says I can also use a composite cable for the setup, but that doesn't work with the projector either. I currently have my old receiver hooked up again, using the digital optical cables (since the HDMI audio no longer works.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6574 of 6597 Old 07-23-2017, 08:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks Legairre. I appreciate all the help you've given me. I'm just fed up. I may just return it and forget about a 4k receiver until I get a 4k projector.

The manual says I can also use a composite cable for the setup, but that doesn't work with the projector either. I currently have my old receiver hooked up again, using the digital optical cables (since the HDMI audio no longer works.
Hey Jim no problem at all. Glad to help. Since the Denon is HDCP 2.2 and the HC3800 isn't it's possible that the Denon requires an HDCP 2.2 display. Since the receiver worked on your TV is the TV a 4K TV which would mean it's HDCP 2.2.

post #6575 of 6597 Old 07-23-2017, 11:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legairre View Post
Hey Jim no problem at all. Glad to help. Since the Denon is HDCP 2.2 and the HC3800 isn't it's possible that the Denon requires an HDCP 2.2 display. Since the receiver worked on your TV is the TV a 4K TV which would mean it's HDCP 2.2.
The TV is not. It's a Toshiba LCD about 6 years old. It worked with the composite input but not HDMI.

I'm returning the Denon today, and I'm going to wait to buy a 4k receiver until I buy a 4k projector.
post #6576 of 6597 Old 07-23-2017, 04:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The TV is not. It's a Toshiba LCD about 6 years old. It worked with the composite input but not HDMI.

I'm returning the Denon today, and I'm going to wait to buy a 4k receiver until I buy a 4k projector.
Ah ok then maybe it was an HDCP 2.2 issue since neither the TV or projector are HDCP 2.2 compliant and neither worked over HDMI.

Have you decided which other receiver to buy?

post #6577 of 6597 Old 07-23-2017, 08:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legairre View Post
Ah ok then maybe it was an HDCP 2.2 issue since neither the TV or projector are HDCP 2.2 compliant and neither worked over HDMI.

Have you decided which other receiver to buy?
I'm not buying one until I get a 4k projector. I'm using the one I had hooked up before this whole fiasco. The lightning apparently ruined the HDMI audio, so I'm using it with digital optical.
post #6578 of 6597 Old 08-17-2018, 12:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Thumbs up

Quote:

Thanks.

I only use an HTPC (GeForce 1050) feeding a 4K compatible DHCP 2.2 Denon receiver into a HC3800 without problems. Have never tried connecting a bluray or xbox or whatever. I am using 4K certified HDMI cables.

But the reason I actually came back to this thread (and saw your question) was to sing some more praises to the people still rocking the HC3800. It's a shame Mitsubishi stopped making projectors. I just tried out an Optoma UHD60, and a Vivitek 2299, obviously both 4K, and they're both going back. I'm keeping my HC3800 till either the more high end stuff comes down in price, or new generations show up. My HC3800 had an overall more realistic and pleasing image than either of these 4K projectors I tried. Maybe I'm too used to it, or I'm getting too old, maybe I expected too big of a change from a 10 year old projector going to a new 4K, but it is what it is .

Last edited by Quirky; 08-17-2018 at 09:10 AM.
post #6579 of 6597 Old 08-18-2018, 07:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quirky View Post
But the reason I actually came back to this thread (and saw your question) was to sing some more praises to the people still rocking the HC3800. It's a shame Mitsubishi stopped making projectors. I just tried out an Optoma UHD60, and a Vivitek 2299, obviously both 4K, and they're both going back. I'm keeping my HC3800 till either the more high end stuff comes down in price, or new generations show up. My HC3800 had an overall more realistic and pleasing image than either of these 4K projectors I tried. Maybe I'm too used to it, or I'm getting too old, maybe I expected too big of a change from a 10 year old projector going to a new 4K, but it is what it is .
Your not gonna see much of an advancement with current DLP's over the HC3800/4000....unless your running a big screen and need the lumens, or you're 4K gaming.

I moved on from my HC3800 a year and a half ago via a used JVC RS57/X700 via ebay....
post #6580 of 6597 Old 10-31-2018, 08:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Still love my HC3800 after all these years. I simply can't find anything to replace it that combines the small size and 1 button support for lens-free CIH. If that ever comes along I'll happily upgrade but for now the Mits keeps on ticking...
post #6581 of 6597 Old 12-23-2018, 05:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I have a HC3800 that came with the house we bought. Recently, there is some intermittent snow/static that comes on while watching movies. I have a single HDMI cable that comes from the projector, and I manually switch between plugging in devices (no switch yet). It happens both with my Samsung Blu Ray, as well as my Apple TV. Sometimes it is minor snow/static in the video, and sometimes a major snowstorm. Nothing specific triggers it, and nothing specific makes it go away. Other than this, I love the HC3800 and would prefer to not have to replace it! Thoughts/suggestions? Thanks in advance!
post #6582 of 6597 Old 12-24-2018, 05:15 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 4823 Post(s)
Liked: 2874
Quote:
Originally Posted by moose.ca View Post
I have a HC3800 that came with the house we bought. Recently, there is some intermittent snow/static that comes on while watching movies. I have a single HDMI cable that comes from the projector, and I manually switch between plugging in devices (no switch yet). It happens both with my Samsung Blu Ray, as well as my Apple TV. Sometimes it is minor snow/static in the video, and sometimes a major snowstorm. Nothing specific triggers it, and nothing specific makes it go away. Other than this, I love the HC3800 and would prefer to not have to replace it! Thoughts/suggestions? Thanks in advance!
Other than electronics starting to fail in the projector, snow in an HDMI video signal often is caused by a signal with marginal amplitude, so that random pixels are not decoded properly. Signal attenuation can be caused by a cable that's "too long" for the data bitrate involved or by a poor connection at either end.

Check to make sure that both ends of the HDMI cable are fully seated. Press firmly, perhaps wiggling it just a little.

Also, try configuring the Blu-ray disc player's output signal to be a fixed 1080i just to see if that helps. If it does, then the cable probably needs to be replaced and upgraded because it's attenuating the signal too much at the higher frequencies used by 1080p.

Another issue is that frequent plug-unplug cycles with a connector can gradually (or abruptly) damage it, resulting in poor contact and causing this type of symptom, so a short male-to-female extension cable often is used in this type of situation. Short extension cables usually are much less expensive and much easier to replace than long cables. One end of the extension would get a lot of reuse while plugging in different devices, but the end of the long cable wouldn't. (This dual-cable technique often is used in conference rooms where visitors plug in their laptops to do presentations. The HDMI cable connector is subject to frequent damage in that situation.)

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
post #6583 of 6597 Old 06-12-2019, 01:19 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Question Mitsubishi HC3800 has horizontal strips/bars in picture...

Hi,

I have my Mitsubishi HC3800 for a few years now and never had any problems with the unit before. I am roughly at 1k hours on my first (original) bulb and we bought the projector in 2007 or 2008 (don’t remember in detail).

Since about 2 weeks, the projector starts to show horizontal strips/bars with discoloration (“negative colors”) to total black stripes.

These horizontal bars only occur after a while (once the projector is “warm”) after about 45 to 90 minutes. At first I thought that my HDMI cable was the culprit and when working the HDMI cable connector to the projector the stripes - sometimes - go away (for like 10 - 15 minutes). However, the last time I saw these horizontal stripes I completely disconnected the HDMI cable I noticed that the blue “default” screen also shows these bars (not good... so it is likely the projector itself and not the cable...)!

I have attached two pictures that show the stripes. They are always at the same place, sometimes with minimal discolorations sometimes nearly totally black (as in the attached pictures).

Does anyone know from the pictures what could be wrong and if I can fix it myself? I am out of warranty and would be willing to perform some fixes myself (e.g., opening up the projector and checking connections). Given that the projector works „cold“ makes me wonder if some contact fluid applied to the correct parts would help here?

Thanks a lot,
Simon

Click image for larger version

Name:	0E967D19-4DA0-472B-B59D-A48B360271A0.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	2579200

Name:	5BB002F9-C6D3-411A-AFE7-CA2BFF87FAF6.jpeg
Views:	21
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	2579202
post #6584 of 6597 Old 06-13-2019, 07:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 524 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by chize View Post
Hi,

I have my Mitsubishi HC3800 for a few years now and never had any problems with the unit before. I am roughly at 1k hours on my first (original) bulb and we bought the projector in 2007 or 2008 (don’t remember in detail).

Since about 2 weeks, the projector starts to show horizontal strips/bars with discoloration (“negative colors”) to total black stripes.

These horizontal bars only occur after a while (once the projector is “warm”) after about 45 to 90 minutes. At first I thought that my HDMI cable was the culprit and when working the HDMI cable connector to the projector the stripes - sometimes - go away (for like 10 - 15 minutes). However, the last time I saw these horizontal stripes I completely disconnected the HDMI cable I noticed that the blue “default” screen also shows these bars (not good... so it is likely the projector itself and not the cable...)!

I have attached two pictures that show the stripes. They are always at the same place, sometimes with minimal discolorations sometimes nearly totally black (as in the attached pictures).

Does anyone know from the pictures what could be wrong and if I can fix it myself? I am out of warranty and would be willing to perform some fixes myself (e.g., opening up the projector and checking connections). Given that the projector works „cold“ makes me wonder if some contact fluid applied to the correct parts would help here?

Thanks a lot,
Simon

Attachment 2579200

Attachment 2579202
Hi,

this is just a guess, but there may be something wrong in the connection between the DMD (image) chip and the main board. You can try to open the projector and look for the nearest wide cable to the DMD chip, then unplug that cable and plug it back. Avoid getting dust anywhere near the chip, avoid touching the contacts of that cable/board with your bare hands, and avoid doing this at all if you feel it's going to be too much to handle. Also, even after re-plugging the cable, the problem may remain if the issue is in the main board itself.

4,3 x 2,8m semi-blacked out media room | 2010 MacMini > Pioneer VSX-520-K > JVC RS50 (X7) > 107", 1.1 gain, white screen | JVC X30 (RS45)
post #6585 of 6597 Old 06-13-2019, 03:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked: 281
[QUOTE=chize;58173908]Hi,

Thanks a lot,
Simon

/QUOTE]

Looks like ransomware, your projector has been hacked and is in projector jail!
post #6586 of 6597 Old 06-19-2019, 10:53 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by descalabro View Post
Hi,

this is just a guess, but there may be something wrong in the connection between the DMD (image) chip and the main board. You can try to open the projector and look for the nearest wide cable to the DMD chip, then unplug that cable and plug it back. Avoid getting dust anywhere near the chip, avoid touching the contacts of that cable/board with your bare hands, and avoid doing this at all if you feel it's going to be too much to handle. Also, even after re-plugging the cable, the problem may remain if the issue is in the main board itself.
Hi,

I opened up my HC3800 as shown in [1], checked all connections and pushed them in place if they were loose (I didn't think any were, but I did it anyway). The projector now works again as intended. The horizontal bars are gone. I am not entirely sure if me opening the projector and checking the connections did anything to solve the issue or if it was just the simple fact that I un- and re-mounted the projector (I have read that squeezing the hc3800 in specific places helps to bridge faulty connections between DMD and motherboard, but is only a temporary solution, which I could have also triggered by fastening the screws of the casing more than they were before).

In any case, we already watched a few tv shows and movies with the projector in several sessions that lasted >2 - 3h and the horizontal bars did not come back yet !

Thanks for the answer! Just replying to let anyone who stumbles upon this thread know that this did the trick for me!

[1]: I am not allowed to post links before my post count is >5... Just go to youtube and search for "Mitsubishi HC3800 Projector Repair No Light Part 1"
Legairre and descalabro like this.
post #6587 of 6597 Old 12-30-2019, 08:06 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Unhappy Mitsubishi HC3800 - vertical pixelizations?

I have a Mitsubishi HC3800 project that has served me well for going on 10 years. Can't believe it's been that long. At the end of a movie tonight I went back to the main disk menu and the projector started displaying vertical pixelized bars as shown in the attached pictures. They are most prominent on the left and right sides of the picture and less noticeable across the middle of the picture. Seems odd that the movie played fine, and the problem appeared afterward. I thought it might be the source blu-ray player, but see the the same with other sources.

I powered off/on the projector and it displayed the same behavior. Is this an indicator of a bad bulb or processor or something else?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Not sure why the pictures appear rotated??
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20191230_210809.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	612.6 KB
ID:	2661574   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191230_210802.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	467.8 KB
ID:	2661576  
post #6588 of 6597 Old 12-30-2019, 10:19 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I have a Mitsubishi hc5500 and I had some artifacts show up on mine. I was able to take it apart and reseat all the cables and when i started it back up it was fixed. You could prob find my post on the forums. Also I would suggest bringing up the projector menu and see if the issue shows in that menu also as that tells you where the issue is as a different chipset is usually used for OSD. Hope this helps some. I would start with shutting down the projector then unplug power. Then plug back in and see where things are at.
post #6589 of 6597 Old 12-31-2019, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob79 View Post
I have a Mitsubishi hc5500 and I had some artifacts show up on mine. I was able to take it apart and reseat all the cables and when i started it back up it was fixed. You could prob find my post on the forums. Also I would suggest bringing up the projector menu and see if the issue shows in that menu also as that tells you where the issue is as a different chipset is usually used for OSD. Hope this helps some. I would start with shutting down the projector then unplug power. Then plug back in and see where things are at.
Thanks Rob79. I fired it up this morning and don't see the artifacts. Perhaps it happens after it's been running for a few hours? I'll see how it does after a longer session. One change I did make was to add a short flex HDMI M/F cable at the receiver connector since the large diameter HDMI cable that runs to the projector was stressing the receiver's HDMI port.

If the artifacts return, I'll remove that flex cable and see if that was the cause.

Thanks again for your input.
post #6590 of 6597 Old 12-31-2019, 09:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeaton View Post
I powered off/on the projector and it displayed the same behavior. Is this an indicator of a bad bulb or processor or something else?
Make sure (next time) you actually disconnect the pwr cable for a few mins (vs just rebooting).

Also, very unlikely that artifact is related to the lamp.
post #6591 of 6597 Old 12-31-2019, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleaman View Post
Make sure (next time) you actually disconnect the pwr cable for a few mins (vs just rebooting).

Also, very unlikely that artifact is related to the lamp.

Thanks fleaman. Will also unplug the power cable for sure.

When realistically should I change my lamp/bulb? The lamp timer is 2241 hours, so still a long way from 4000, but I wonder how much brightness a new lamp would provide? If it is significant, I'll go ahead and replace it since I have a new one. I'd like to upgrade to a 4K projector sometime over the next year or two so I'm thinking I can use the new lamp if it would help. Thoughts?

Last edited by jeaton; 12-31-2019 at 10:48 AM.
post #6592 of 6597 Old 12-31-2019, 12:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

When realistically should I change my lamp/bulb? The lamp timer is 2241 hours, so still a long way from 4000, but I wonder how much brightness a new lamp would provide? If it is significant, I'll go ahead and replace it since I have a new one. I'd like to upgrade to a 4K projector sometime over the next year or two so I'm thinking I can use the new lamp if it would help. Thoughts?
Mine blew up at about 3,000. It was really difficult to find a genuine bulb. I got an osram and put it in the cage and probably put a couple of hundred hours on it.

That was 2 projectors ago, I have a JVC 4k now, I just grab things when I find deals. The Mitsubishi will eventually go somewhere, it's better than the one that replaced it, an LG LED projector. What I loved about the LG was the instant on and would turn it on and off multiple times a day. I'd never do that with a bulb based projector. The JVC bulb costs more than I paid for the LG.
post #6593 of 6597 Old 01-03-2020, 09:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I'd say you might want to wait a bit to see if your issue pops up again---becomes permanent, etc. You wouldn't want a new lamp for a broken projector
post #6594 of 6597 Old 06-28-2020, 03:03 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I have this strange issue with my hc3800 where if I have the pc main screen running in 4k or 2k, non mirroring, extended display on the projector set to 1080p , then my hc3800 shuts down after about 5 minutes.

if I duplicate the display in 1080p or extend the displays with the primary set at 1080p as well as the projector set at 1080p, then the projector runs fine forever. Latest firmware. Anyone encounter anything like this?
post #6595 of 6597 Old 06-29-2020, 02:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 2023 Post(s)
Liked: 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by willpower102 View Post
I have this strange issue with my hc3800 where if I have the pc main screen running in 4k or 2k, non mirroring, extended display on the projector set to 1080p , then my hc3800 shuts down after about 5 minutes.

if I duplicate the display in 1080p or extend the displays with the primary set at 1080p as well as the projector set at 1080p, then the projector runs fine forever. Latest firmware. Anyone encounter anything like this?

If there's nothing happening on the projector when it's extended maybe there's a shutdown option. Probably from the projector.
post #6596 of 6597 Old 06-29-2020, 04:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by willpower102 View Post

Very strange. Do you think it's a thermal shutdown? Did it work before? Maybe the filter needs to be cleaned (if that can even be done).

Just curious, how do you use the projector as an extended display, or is it just something you do from time to time?
post #6597 of 6597 Old 06-29-2020, 08:22 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by noob00224 View Post
If there's nothing happening on the projector when it's extended maybe there's a shutdown option. Probably from the projector.
Not sure what you mean about a shutdown option. Do you mean the auto-off timer for no signal? The desktop is always being displayed, however, it is happening while we are watching movies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoryperkins View Post
Very strange. Do you think it's a thermal shutdown? Did it work before? Maybe the filter needs to be cleaned (if that can even be done).
It acts like thermal shutdown. It shuts off at random time intervals, once at five minutes, once at 2 minutes. Sometimes at 30 seconds.

The plastic to the left of the bulb near the exhaust is definitely searing, but I thought that was just normal for these projectors (they both do that, my other one needs the fuse fix and fw update.)

I can record the dev menu before shutdown a couple times to see if it's thermal shutdown. I assume that will tell us right? I really want to overvolt these internal fans. I do not feel like they move enough air AT all.

It works 100% for hours on end as long as my primary display is set to 1080p. Even if I set my projector to 1080p, if I set my primary display to a higher resolution, the projector will shut off. Almost like it's not getting a signal, but the time is never consistent, almost like it's overheating somehow because of this. I don't know what to think. I would really like to use my monitor in 4k and the projector in 1080p. Right now I have to switch the resolution on my monitor to 1080p every time I want to use the projector.

I've only own these two hc3800 projectors (one with the bad resistor problem) for a month, bought off marketplace for less than a hundred bucks for the pair from someone upgrading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoryperkins View Post
Just curious, how do you use the projector as an extended display, or is it just something you do from time to time?
Like this ->
(ugh, excuse the mess, haven't cleaned from the weekend yet)
https://imgur.com/T6ceYLw

Unfortunately in this apartment I have a vaulted ceiling, but it works well enough. Normally the second monitor to my left shows a clone of whatever is on my projector. So my gf or visitors can watch something there from the couch while I'm on the desk (Sometimes watching each other stream, or a game) or simply throw a movie up there.

That's a 110" screen. It looks kind of small because that's a 40" 4k tv as a monitor below it . The mouse on the desk is a good reference for size.

Last edited by willpower102; 06-29-2020 at 08:28 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Mitsubishi Hc3800 1080p Home Theater Dlp Projector , mitsubishi hc3800 pixelization

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page