*Official* Epson Home Cinema 8100 owners thread! - Page 66 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 7Likes

post #1951 of 1963 Old 02-26-2016, 02:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello people, I have a brief question regarding the 8100. I was looking for a projector for the living room for a few months now (only for movie watching, about 5-6 hrs a week in total, mostly in the evenings) and I ended up at the Benq 1070+ as good value for money option, until the possibility of getting a hardly used 8100 with a new lamp installed for 300 euros (I guess about 320 bucks) came about. Now that the dust has settled, do you owners still think it's s good deal for this money? I've been reading about all these issues (strange colors/ lamp life etc) that have been plaguing owners lately and got a bit concerned.

Many thanks in advance!

Andy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1952 of 1963 Old 02-26-2016, 12:04 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I'm not convinced the percentage of users reporting issues here or other forums are indicative of the average owner of the 8100, particularly in regards to lamp life. Predominantly, the lamp life issues I've seen noted are from folks that use the projector in an atypical fashion, such as a replacement for a general use TV. Due to frequent lamp strikes using the projector in this manner, this can/will drastically shorten the life span of the projector bulb, Projector Central has a couple notes on this here.

As for other reliability issues noted, the number of users encountering these problems will typically be very vocal, which is often a small percentage. That is in no way discounting the problems these particular owners faced and issues they've had to deal with, but the reliability of Epson home theater projectors is overall extremely positive. I had my 8100 in use for a couple of years in a similar capacity that you described, kept the filter clean, had it ceiling mounted with plenty of ventilation in a dedicated home theater environment with no issues to speak of in approximately 800+ hrs of use. The only reason it's not currently in use is I upgraded to an 8700, so the 8100 has been relegated to backup duty.

Unless the unit has mechanical or convergence issues, an 8100 with a new bulb for that price is a heck of a deal. I think you'd be hard pressed to find a better price/performance ratio.
wunderhund likes this.

Emotiva XPA-5, UPA-7 | Yamaha CX-A5000 | Mitsubishi WD-73742 | Epson 5040UB
Boston Acoustics VS 336s, VS 325c, Emotiva ERD-1s (x2) | 15" TC-2000 DIY Sub
Dish Hopper with Sling | Oppo BDP-93 | AppleTV v4 | Roku Ultra
post #1953 of 1963 Old 02-26-2016, 12:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 46
I sold my 8100 a while back when I upgraded projectors but the 8100 was and is a very nice projector, especially for that price. If that is your budget, you can't go wrong for that price.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1954 of 1963 Old 02-26-2016, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgerpilot View Post
I sold my 8100 a while back when I upgraded projectors but the 8100 was and is a very nice projector, especially for that price. If that is your budget, you can't go wrong for that price.
Thanks so much guys, I was heading a new budget Benq for around 800 but if the older 8100 is not much worse in terms of performance and is only a fraction of that price I'll go for it. I'll be happy if it lasts for a couple of years and then I will reconsider, given my experience, whether to further invest in a newer projector or roll back to the TV solution.
post #1955 of 1963 Old 07-30-2016, 11:14 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Hi guys, hoping someone would know this, my tw3500(8100) suddenly stopped working, after I turn it on there's a usual motor noise and lens noise then the fan comes on then gets slightly louder, power button flashing blue gently then lamp light flashing red and fan gets really loud.
Nothing projected and lamp only about 1450 hours.

Is this just a matter of replacing the bulb or something like the motor issue that some people had?
post #1956 of 1963 Old 03-29-2017, 12:19 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi everyone, I'd sure love to get a little more brightness out of my projector, how dumb of an idea would it be to use the 2000 Lumens lamp that is used in the PowerLite Home Cinema 8350 for the 8100? From everything I have read the bodies and lamp casings are identical. Would I break my projector if I did this? Would I get the extra 200 lumens or does the power come from the projector so it wouldn't use the lamp to its full potential? Has anyone tried this or seen another member talking about their experience?

Thanks y'all!
post #1957 of 1963 Old 03-02-2018, 11:51 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephron View Post
So, I have an Epson Home Cinema 8100 that I've had since launch day. I've since been through one projector with Epson support in 2012, making this projector 3 years old almost on the dot.

Epson bulb @ 2606 hours.

I left my projector sitting for about 5 months in my apartment while I hid out at a friends with A/C over the summer. Coming back to it I turned it on once and didn't notice any green bluring/haloing around white text near the center of the screen when I powered the projector off and turned it on a short time later.

The issue seems to be in the center of the screen. Changing the focus ring or position doesn't seem to make a difference, the blurry spot seems to track wherever the projector is pointing.

Prior to this issue I had slight blurring on the outside of the screen. Please see the attached images below for a demonstration. The test pattern seems to be magenta over the white area near the center, moving to the correct color further out.

I am comfortable working on small electronics. Before I tare into the internals, does anyone have any insight on what might be tried first or looked at in more detail?

Thanks!
Eph
Any updates on this? Reviving this old post. My HC2045 has a more mild case of this issue and I have no idea how to fix it or what it is. I just picked it up from OfferUp for a killer deal. Thanks!
post #1958 of 1963 Old 04-25-2018, 07:49 PM

Liked: 1
Lightbulb EH-TW8100 Dip Switch Menu and how to turn on LCD Calibration

Pulled my EH-TW8100 out of the box where its been for the past 2 years due to moving house .

I think it always had a slight issue with the red panel being shifted too high but after turning it on and wairing for a warmup , it was a whole pixel too high . and was giving me headaches looking at text on screen.

So searching for panel alignment .. mine had the panel alignment menu disabled . so how do I enable it .

This is a longish process .. but works ..

<dip switch menu>
Turn on projector and press menu once to bring up the menu ..
hold <MENU> for 8 secs , (this removes the menu from the screen .)
press <esc> <esc> <right> (not too fast , about half a sec for each button)

(this will being up an information screen , with counters etc , you can move left and right through them if you want .. but you will need to start again if you do .)
repeat above steps
hold <MENU> for 8 secs (removes info screen)
press <esc><esc> <right>

you should get the dip switch menu now (see image below , sorry lights were on)

go down to dip-sw 6 <ENTER>
then down to Bit 5 (change to ON - 1)

press <esc> <esc> to get out of the menus , then shutdown the projector and restart it ..
(the dip switch changes dont take effect until you restart)

you should now have the alignment option in the extended menu

you can align each corner , for red and blue , and then go to each individual cross point in the pattern that is displayed and align it (~100 points ).. so its quite detailed and comprehensive.

hope this helps others with this projector as I have been searching for hours . The timing of the esc esc right was throwing me off too , I was pressing too fast ..and a lot of the other epson projectors had esc esc right left .

Carl
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dipswitch.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	19.4 KB
ID:	2395656  
tomd51 likes this.
post #1959 of 1963 Old 03-12-2019, 01:28 AM

Liked: 10
Hello!

I have an problem with my 4-years old TW8100. In the last months a faint blue light spot appeared in the middle of the screen.
At first I thought something was wrong with the bulb so I had it replaced, but the blue spot remained.

Does anyone know what is it, and how to get rid of it?

Thanks!
Lior
post #1960 of 1963 Old 03-14-2019, 05:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 468 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by liorreem View Post
Hello!

I have an problem with my 4-years old TW8100. In the last months a faint blue light spot appeared in the middle of the screen.
At first I thought something was wrong with the bulb so I had it replaced, but the blue spot remained.

Does anyone know what is it, and how to get rid of it?

Thanks!
Lior
Hi,

From the description, it is likely a worn-out polarizer filter. Is it like a haze that seems to spread or more like a tiny and more opaque dot? Is there any particular situation where it is more visible?

4,3 x 2,8m semi-blacked out media room | 2010 MacMini > Pioneer VSX-520-K > JVC RS50 (X7) > 107", 1.1 gain, white screen | Planar PD7150
post #1961 of 1963 Old 11-23-2019, 08:22 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
hello guys
i have epson eh-tw8100 its start up properly in random time like sometimes it work like 12-15 min then lamp & temp light blink continuous or sometime it turn off within sec then lamp & temp light blink or 4 -5 min randomly time max its works for 15min then turn off and lamp & temp light blink dont know whats the issue can you guys help me out with it [its the lamp issue or something else]
thank you
post #1962 of 1963 Old 11-24-2019, 11:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 468 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by raj dutta View Post
hello guys

i have epson eh-tw8100 its start up properly in random time like sometimes it work like 12-15 min then lamp & temp light blink continuous or sometime it turn off within sec then lamp & temp light blink or 4 -5 min randomly time max its works for 15min then turn off and lamp & temp light blink dont know whats the issue can you guys help me out with it [its the lamp issue or something else]

thank you

Probably some overheating problem. Do you also hear the fans going into high speed mode? In the manual you may find the interpretation for those blinking light codes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4,3 x 2,8m semi-blacked out media room | 2010 MacMini > Pioneer VSX-520-K > JVC RS50 (X7) > 107", 1.1 gain, white screen | Planar PD7150
post #1963 of 1963 Old 11-30-2019, 08:26 PM

Liked: 10
Hi all,
I bought my HC8100 in October 2009, and it has worked nearly flawlessley right up to now. Original bulb, just went over 2900 hours. We don't watch much broadcast TV, mostly streaming movies, DVD/ BluRay "bingewatching", and of course the Army Navy game.

In the last two weeks, the projector picture has begun to flicker. Seems to do it only when playing video, not on a still screen, for example, when we're trying to decide on a movie and we're looking thru the thumbnails. But when we watch the preview, or the movie, the screen flickers. We use a Roku Ultimate for most streaming, and an LG BluRay player for the discs and sometimes to stream Vudu. The only video source that doesn't do this is if we're watching something on the Comcast cable tv box, like the Thanksgiving parade or the recent Lions Bears game. I even have a cast app for iPhone, and when I display pictures from my photos on the phone, the picture is fine, but if I select a video, it flickers.

My video sources are HDMI, routed through a 4-into-1 HDMI switch from Monoprice. That seems to be the only common component - I've tried reseating (but not swapping) HDMI cables at the 4-1 switch

Haven't noticed any dimming, no warning lamps lit on the unit itself, no change in the cooling fans, no polarization or filter problems. I have run the pj mostly in ECO mode all this time, and for the last two days I've been running it for 5-6 hrs a day in normal mode (I read some earlier discussion on arc wander on the bulb...)

Any ideas?

GAC

Last edited by gac1982; 11-30-2019 at 08:37 PM. Reason: additional info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page