Originally Posted by nickels55
Damn dude, 8 years later and this tip is still helping people. I just had some vertical pinstripes on my screen so I searched to see if there was an easy fix. Your description of how to squeeze the unit and where had me laughing to my wife. I was sure it was BS and wouldn't do a thing. One hard squeeze and the problem disappeared like that. I am amazed. Thanks so much for your help!
I just happened to get a notification from my old email address about you quoting me on here. I had absolutely no idea that anyone had ever used my little trick until today! I'm glad that I decided to make that comment 8 years ago.
That said: SEVERAL YEARS AGO, I FOUND A PERMANENT SOLUTION!!!
Eventually, the trick I used (putting pressure on the shell) stopped working. At that point, I decided to take the projector apart to see if I could see an obvious issue inside the guts. By the grace of god, I did indeed find an obvious issue!
It must have been easy to take apart to this level, otherwise I wouldn't have attempted it, if you find yourself having to removing a bunch of components besides the lamp thing, you've gone too far. Once you're able to see the guts of the machine, start checking all of the cables/ribbons/connections in there. Eventually you'll find a connection that is loose, and you will need to securely fasten that connection.
I don't remember specifically which connection it was, but I am pretty sure that there was a ribbon attached to it (not a single round wire). I also remember that it wasn't extremely wide, and that the fastener was pretty small, but not hard to locate. I don't think this connection is hidden in a hard to reach spot or anything like that. This next detail is even more fuzzy for me, but for some reason I remember the cable having something to do with "color". I must have looked up a diagram of the projector guts after I was done, and saw that it had "...color... in the description of that connection. ****EDIT - I looked it up, to try to job my memory, and I think it was the cable that connects to the color wheel. I have added a picture that shows that white cable connection (ignore the circles on the picture, i'm referring to the cable, not the screws). I'm only about 60% sure that this was the loose connection, if not then it was a smaller connection somewhere else. **** All you need to do is re-fasten that connection and put the thing back together, 1 screw driver and 4-10 screws and you're inside the guts.
Let everyone know if you find it! Also, if you have a better way to make this post more visible, please take care of that for me! Thanks!
**EDIT** I see now that someone else above me has mentioned oxidation on one of the connections. I can't say for sure whether or not he's talking about the same connection, or if that guy was even dealing with the same issue as all of us. I can say that there was zero visible oxidation or debris on this connection for me. The connection was quite clearly loosened and barely hanging on (the squeezing solution was simply moving that connection into place temporarily, I'm certain). I was able to push it back in, and the projector ran like new for 3 years after that, with no additional maintenance required.