Official Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 5010 / 6010 thread - Page 121 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 33Likes

post #3601 of 3699 Old 02-28-2016, 08:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by xplorar View Post
I too have noticed dust inside lens of my 2 year old 5010 but it doesn't seem to be affecting the image quality. Maybe its affecting contrast a bit, I can't tell. Of late, I can see faint smudge on a corner on the screen when screen is completely dark. It isn't noticeable when picture is on. I have read that this may be dust on one of 3 LCD panels inside the lens assembly. No idea how to clean it.
If you do photography, you learn very quickly that dust inside lenses is unavoidable, especially in a zoom lens. Fortunately, it has no effect on image quality as the dust is not within the field of focus. Even a large scratch on a lens will rarely be noticeable in photos.

As for dust on the LCD panel causing a blob, a similar thing happens in photography with dust on the sensor causing blobs in photos. On a camera, you can usually remove the large dust blobs by using a squeezable air pump to shoot some air at it. This model is very popular, and it's the one I use:

http://www.amazon.com/Giottos-Rocket.../dp/B00017LSPI

So if it's possible to get access to the LCD panels, then you could try blowing it off. Please note that I have no idea how accessible the panels are on the 5010!
xplorar likes this.

__________________________________________________ ___________________________
My home theater gallery Epson 5010 Projector, 133" Cinemascope Screen, Klipsch RF-7, Tuba HT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3602 of 3699 Old 02-28-2016, 11:13 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalister View Post

how can i press the power switch ON when i should press this button together with enter as well????)
Seems perfectly logical to me.
Hold buttons POWER ON + ENTER together then turn the rear POWER switch to ON.

What's difficult about that?
post #3603 of 3699 Old 02-29-2016, 12:54 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashyt16 View Post
Seems perfectly logical to me.
Hold buttons POWER ON + ENTER together then turn the rear POWER switch to ON.

What's difficult about that?
@ashyt16

Oh yes, the magic REAR Power switch I was not aware that the update-manual referes to that switch....
TTANKS for the hint, FW 1.09 is up and running - thank you very much!!!

By the way, what is the latest known firmware for the 5010 (9000 in europe) - 1.09, 1.10 or even 1.11? And how can i get it, if not the 1.09 is the latest?
The 1.09 is the only one i was able to fond in the net for download.

kalister
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3604 of 3699 Old 02-29-2016, 06:12 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I haven't read the whole thread, but most of the last half. My Epson 5010 has is about 4 years old and I've only had one issue about a year into the 2 year which was rectified by a firmware update. So about a month or so ago it started shutting off randomly and the fan is clicking pretty loudly. Once it shuts off I can turn it back on and it works fine. Over time the fan starts getting loud again and will eventually shut off. I started timing it, and it literally turns off an hour, almost literally 1 hour to the minute.

The strange part is it only seems to do this when I'm using my TiVo as the source. If I switch to the Apple TV it will go for hours without shutting off. The fan may still get loud, but it doesn't shut off on me. I'm using a single HDMI cable into the projector with a surround receiver to switch between devices.

I did change out the lamp about a year ago with a unit that uses a genuine bulb in an aftermarket housing. I'm not sure if this could be part of the problem or not.

Also, I did remove the surge protector with no change. Does anyone have any suggestions? Could the fan be bad and need to be replaced? Maybe the bulb? Maybe a firmware update is needed? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
post #3605 of 3699 Old 03-02-2016, 08:55 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Question for those who have changed their projector bulbs -
How many hours did your bulb last? My Epson 5010 bulb has had around 1450 hours on normal mode and picture already has begun to look a little dim. Officially the bulb is supposed to last 4000 hrs on normal mode. Projector itself is running well with no problems except for a very faint smudge on a corner of the screen (which is visible only when screen is completely dark).
So I cant decide whether to buy a new bulb or not. Maybe the projector itself will go bad before I even get the opportunity to replace the bulb? (This has actually already happened with me in the past on a Sony RPTV).
Any advice?
post #3606 of 3699 Old 03-03-2016, 04:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
How many hours did your bulb last?
Any advice?

My PJ went well beyond 4K Hours and then I bought a new PJ,
just in case mine died. I can not tell the difference in Brightness,
and I doubt you can. Perception is reality
xplorar likes this.
post #3607 of 3699 Old 03-03-2016, 08:12 AM

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post
My PJ went well beyond 4K Hours and then I bought a new PJ,
just in case mine died. I can not tell the difference in Brightness,
and I doubt you can. Perception is reality
The 5010 has brightness to spare for most applications. I guess the flip side of the bulb gradually dimming is that the blacks levels should also be reduced by a corresponding amount, so maybe it's a wash?

__________________________________________________ ___________________________
My home theater gallery Epson 5010 Projector, 133" Cinemascope Screen, Klipsch RF-7, Tuba HT
post #3608 of 3699 Old 03-11-2016, 05:55 PM

Liked: 0
Need help with instructions on how to change bare bulb in Epson HC 5010

Anyone change the bare bulb from the housing on the Epson HC 5010? I have the bulb coming and want to be prepared..

Thanks for any help.

post #3609 of 3699 Old 03-12-2016, 10:53 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
This just popped on Epson refurbished website for $950. Is it worth it for the price ? Assume warranty is 3 years from today.

Got the HC2045 but I love the lens shift flexibility on this one. Decisions decisions. I am losing WiDi and MHL HDMI which I don't really care per se. 3D performance would be a wash but 2D will shine over HC2045. Any suggestions ? How is Epson in warranty department ?
post #3610 of 3699 Old 04-25-2016, 09:01 AM

Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Fw 1.10

If anyone is looking for fw 1.10 please send me your email to [email protected]
post #3611 of 3699 Old 04-25-2016, 10:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by erik333 View Post
Anyone change the bare bulb from the housing on the Epson HC 5010? I have the bulb coming and want to be prepared..

Thanks for any help.

Easy.
1) Open the package.
2) Throw the bulb in the garbage.
3) Order a real bulb. ProjectorPeople only sell oem bulbs, so I will only buy from them.
Yes, it costs three times as much, but is 10 times better. I got an aftermarket bulb for my 5010. My lamp had like 5k hours on it. I put the aftermarket bulb in and it was dimmer. Look at reviews on aftermarket bulbs, they are all bad. I really recommend returning it.
sparky7 likes this.
post #3612 of 3699 Old 04-25-2016, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricwhite View Post
My 6010 has gotten a noisy fan (slight ticking sound). Has anyone tried to replace a fan in a 5010/6010 themselves? Tips?

Rick
Anyone else have the ticking fan noise and fixed it?

Mine started about a month ago.
It's quiet when first turned on then in about 5 minutes the ticking slowly starts.

Changing between ECO and Normal mode makes the ticking faster when set to the latter.

post #3613 of 3699 Old 05-01-2016, 03:53 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Guys,
does anybody know if our HC5100/6100/TW9000 projectors support 4:4:4 color/chroma sub-sampling when fed with HDMI from a PC?
I think I had this one working 3-4 years ago when I bought mine but recently after I've updated my PC I'm not able to do it.
I've tried using both my GTX960's DVI, HDMI and DisplayPort outputs and also my motherboard's HDMI and DVI outputs and it doesn't seem to be working. At the same time all of these work just fine with my Samsung TV so my guess is that it's something in the projector that's preventing me from achieving the best color fidelity ... and all I get is 4:2:2.
So am I going crazy or were our projectors never capable of showing full color?
post #3614 of 3699 Old 05-05-2016, 09:25 AM

Quote:
How many hours did your bulb last? My Epson 5010 bulb has had around 1450 hours on normal mode and picture already has begun to look a little dim. Officially the bulb is supposed to last 4000 hrs on normal mode. Projector itself is running well with no problems except for a very faint smudge on a corner of the screen (which is visible only when screen is completely dark).
So I cant decide whether to buy a new bulb or not. Maybe the projector itself will go bad before I even get the opportunity to replace the bulb? (This has actually already happened with me in the past on a Sony RPTV).
Any advice?
Well, it so happens that my projector has now gotten very dim (1540 hours) as of last night. Its impossible to see things properly on "Cinema" mode on my 120 inch screen. Picture is now bearably bright only on Vivid mode.
Colors also look bad - Whites are dirty. I don't see deep reds and deep greens.
Does it all sounds like bulb problem? I hope its not optical block problem.
post #3615 of 3699 Old 05-05-2016, 10:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Probably a bulb issue. Sounds like an aftermarket bulb. Of course any bulb can fail early, hence no long warranty on them.
post #3616 of 3699 Old 05-05-2016, 10:48 AM

Well, I checked just now. Projector is now not turning on - Lens shutter opens, I get a blue blink for several minutes and then lens shuts down and I finally get "Lamp Failure" RED blink. As per manual, this means that lamp has gone bad.
I was thinking of trying re-seat the lamp. Can it help? I don't want the lamp to explode for futile efforts.
I thought that a new projector comes with an original lamp? I will be very surprised if the bulb turns out to be aftermarket.

Last edited by xplorar; 05-06-2016 at 09:58 AM. Reason: Corrected LED light color
post #3617 of 3699 Old 05-05-2016, 10:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Oh, didn't know it was the orig bulb. Just bad luck then. Sorry.
post #3618 of 3699 Old 05-05-2016, 11:16 AM

I always used projector in 'Normal' mode (never Eco). Saw a lot of 3D in Dynamic mode. Maybe all that contributed to early failure.
So I am now in market for new bulb. I am guessing that my best bet for original bulb & best price is B&H? Correct?
post #3619 of 3699 Old 05-05-2016, 05:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I get my bulbs from projectorpeople as they ONLY sell OEM. B&H is a good company, but make sure it is really oem. So many deceptive ads.
sparky7 likes this.
post #3620 of 3699 Old 05-05-2016, 11:32 PM

I checked projectorpeople last night. Unfortunately they do not have lamp for 5010. They are selling 5030 lamps.
I will also try re-seating the lamp today.
post #3621 of 3699 Old 05-06-2016, 09:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

They are the same lamp. V13H010L69. Good luck with the reseating. Also pull the power plug for a minute too.
xplorar likes this.
post #3622 of 3699 Old 05-06-2016, 09:46 AM

Re-seating and power cycles didn't help. I also took apart and cleaned the lamp. That didn't help either. However I could then confirm that the glass bulb had Epson printed on it. So I guess it was original after all. So it seems that my all time 'Normal' mode viewing and a lot of 3D might have killed my original Epson lamp at 1500 hrs.

Its a fantastic news for me that 5030 lamp is same as 5010. I will now order from ProjectorPeople. Thanks wnielsenbb!!

By the way, a local vendor is offering me "original Epson" 5010 lamp for $100. Sounds too good to be true. Seems to me that its one of several Chinese fakes listed in Amazon.

EDIT:
By the way, the glass surface of lamp did have a slight crack in it, though the glass was intact.

Last edited by xplorar; 05-06-2016 at 09:53 AM.
post #3623 of 3699 Old 05-23-2016, 11:13 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvanslooten View Post
Where is the best place to buy OEM replacement bulbs for the 5010 - that is cheaper than what Epson is selling them for (currently $299). I found some OEM stuff on eBay but I'm always leery I'll buy one and it will be a dud. Maybe I should just pony up and pay the $300.

On another note, I thought I would update my earlier post. My local repair center ended up trying to make several repairs as the cinema filter fix didn't work. After 4 weeks of trying to get it fixed (and failing), they gave up and sent it to Epson. 4 weeks later Epson sent the projector back to the repair center all fixed and ready to go. Apparently it was multiple things...the power supply, the cinema filter, and some other part had to replaced. It sounded like they basically rebuilt the projector.

I complained to the repair center that I shouldn't have had to wait 2 months to get my projector fixed when they promised me it would "only" be 4 weeks and that it was specifically the cinema filter. They agreed and ate all the costs I literally didn't have to pay for anything. While I was very pleased with that it was a long 2 months to go without a projector. It was painful but all is good (for now at least). If this machine dies this time around I may jump up to a JVC and be done with upgrading to projectors for a while.

Travis
tvanslooten / Travis,

My epson 6010 just started with the "yellow" stripe problem you have mentioned. I followed through all your issues with getting it fixed. Before I start that process, can you tell me if your Epson projector is still working since you had it fixed? I'm debating just getting a new one and not dealing with the hassle. I'm also on my second 6010, the first one broke and was replaced with a refurbished unit.

Thanks in advance.
post #3624 of 3699 Old 05-23-2016, 11:56 AM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jschwartz73 View Post
tvanslooten / Travis,

My epson 6010 just started with the "yellow" stripe problem you have mentioned. I followed through all your issues with getting it fixed. Before I start that process, can you tell me if your Epson projector is still working since you had it fixed? I'm debating just getting a new one and not dealing with the hassle. I'm also on my second 6010, the first one broke and was replaced with a refurbished unit.

Thanks in advance.
@jschwartz73 - I no longer own the projector as I recently sold it. After all the fixes, it worked like new and I had no issues. I had it for over a year after the fixes before I sold it. I only sold it because I was tired of watching TV and movies in a bat cave. I converted my home theater room to a general TV/reading room. I'm now own a 65" TV. No more projectors for me

Travis
post #3625 of 3699 Old 05-23-2016, 06:56 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvanslooten View Post
@jschwartz73 - I no longer own the projector as I recently sold it. After all the fixes, it worked like new and I had no issues. I had it for over a year after the fixes before I sold it. I only sold it because I was tired of watching TV and movies in a bat cave. I converted my home theater room to a general TV/reading room. I'm now own a 65" TV. No more projectors for me

Travis
@tvanslooten - Thanks for the information. I just unmounted my projector and am bringing it to the service center tomorrow. Hopefully it won't take 2+ months to fix like yours did. Thanks again for the followup. Fingers crossed mine will come out smelling like roses
post #3626 of 3699 Old 06-02-2016, 05:48 PM

Liked: 10
I have a 5010 that has been rock solid for three years. I started noticing the picture was getting a little darker and boosted the output to dynamic mode which helped a lot. After a week the lamp seems to have failed. I start the projector and everything seems to go normally. The blue light starts to blink the fan starts up and I see faint light from the projector. The EPSON logo starts to show on the screen faintly then fades away and the projector never shows another picture. The fan sounds normal and the blue light is steady.

I order another bulb thinking that would solve the problem. Tonight I installed it and the projector is acting exactly the same with this bulb.

Tried all the suggestions for no picture in the manual with no change.

Any suggestions on what to do next?

Thanks
post #3627 of 3699 Old 06-02-2016, 05:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by swatkins View Post
I have a 5010 that has been rock solid for three years. I started noticing the picture was getting a little darker and boosted the output to dynamic mode which helped a lot. After a week the lamp seems to have failed. I start the projector and everything seems to go normally. The blue light starts to blink the fan starts up and I see faint light from the projector. The EPSON logo starts to show on the screen faintly then fades away and the projector never shows another picture. The fan sounds normal and the blue light is steady.

I order another bulb thinking that would solve the problem. Tonight I installed it and the projector is acting exactly the same with this bulb.

Tried all the suggestions for no picture in the manual with no change.

Any suggestions on what to do next?

Thanks

Have you tried changing the filter? Mine did something similar and it ended up needing a new filter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Epson Home Cinema 3010 Projector____Paradigm 9SE MK II Main LR
Yamaha RX-V667 AVR_______________Paradigm CC-270 V.3 Center
Emotiva UPA-5 Amplifier______________Dual Stereo Integrity 18" Infinite Baffle
Sony BDP-570 Blu Ray_______________DIY Sound Group Volt 10
post #3628 of 3699 Old 06-02-2016, 06:07 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by action_jackson View Post
Have you tried changing the filter? Mine did something similar and it ended up needing a new filter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I pulled the filter and it was shocking clean... MY old Sony HS10 went through filters... I'll try reseating it..

Just now I was letting it run and after about 5 minutes it shut itself off..

I unplugged the unit and let it sit for 10 minutes. Just restarted it and the lamp still will not fire and go bright.
post #3629 of 3699 Old 06-03-2016, 05:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

This is the same symptoms all of us had that Epson replaced under warranty. Yours is probably outside the Warranty period, but they have been covering them anyway due to the large number of people with problems. I would call them up.
post #3630 of 3699 Old 06-04-2016, 12:43 AM

I will be getting my new projector bulb on Monday. Bitten by early failure of my previous lamp (1450 hrs); this time, I will -
1) Use Eco mode
2) Use 'Natural' setting instead of 'Cinema' (to get maximum light out in Eco mode)
3) Do calibration only after about 50 hrs, when bulb has "settled".

Anything else you would like to suggest? Should I keep my Iris off too?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Cpu Fan , Epson 5010 Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 8350 , Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 6010 Projector , Projectors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page