Any help on where to get servicing? 300 hours on plv-z4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 12-24-2011, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,

I bought a Sanyo PLV-Z4 a few years back, brand new, from visual apex, after much research on here. It's served me pretty well for occasional movies and PS3, but relatively low usage overall. After 100 hours or so, it was hit with what seemed to be somewhat common, flashing replace lamp yellow LED + red power, and the PJ would shut down, or not light the lamp and turn off. Solution was to open it up and press the thermal switch back in. I suspect a design or component problem, as the filters were always clean, etc., but 'lived with it.' Loved the PJ, but always annoyed about having to reset the thermal switch monthly or so.

Now, with ~300-350 hours total lamp time, same behavior but the thermal switch isn't 'popped,' so can't be reset. I probably should have sent it off for servicing while it was still under warrantee, but of course, it's now out. Considering what I spent on this thing vs time used, it's cost me ~$7/hour so I'd like to get it repaired vs discarding.

It seems possible that the thermistor switch needs to be replaced. I did remove the lamp which seems to be ok - if anyone knows the proper testing process for the lamp, please enlighten me; I'm assuming it's simply testing as not open = good?

If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears, otherwise I'd gladly take recommendations on repair places, preferably one that won't rob me blind. :-/ Any suggestions? (I'm on the east coast, would prefer to ship it along the coast but other/any recommended options are worthwhile..)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-24-2011, 05:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 16
Lamps cannot be tested, there is no filament. So there is nothing to meter.

I can't advise you you on a repair facility other than the mfr. But know this, most places, including the mfr, replace assemblies, not individual components. So it is very likely that you will be hit with a repair estimate that makes buying a new one more reasonable.
post #3 of 4 Old 12-25-2011, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Yeah, sadly I'm aware of the replace major component vs on board single defective item, it's been that way in electronics for quite some time, just really hoping I didn't spend ~$7/hour for usage on this thing, a $2k+ purchase should not die in 300 hours of use.

I made another quick attempt, to bypass the thermistor switch, but no good, some blue light in the same area, perhaps trying to ignite the lamp, then the door shuts again..perhaps a ballast issue?

Will call Sanyo next week unless someone has suggestions for reasonably competent repair shops, and see what happens. Definitely going to be my last Sanyo PJ at this point..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 12-25-2011, 03:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 16
There is always the possibility that the lamp has failed (even though it LOOKS okay). Lamps can fail at any time, regardless of hours.

Unfortunately, the only way to test that theory is to buy a new lamp. So that's a gamble.

The next likely candidate is, as you questioned, a bad ballast. But again, there is no good way to test it. And any attempt to do so could be hazardous as the ballast generates a high voltage to strike the lamp.

Sorry, wish I had a better answer for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Sanyo Plv Z4

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page