Official Epson Home Cinema 3020 Thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8Likes

post #31 of 1222 Old 10-17-2012, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Interesting... I'm gonna double check on a few more sources tonight, but I'm pretty sure I would have noticed something that drastic. I don't know if this is an option on the 3010 or not, but the 3020 does have a depth slider, that seems to change the convergence of the 3D. I played around with it when I noticed some cross-talk on Hugo, and it seem like you could dial in the 3D pretty well. Now correcting it for one scene might cause more or less cross-talk in another scene. That makes me believe that it is not always the projector that has the convergence issue but sometimes the disc itself? I'm very new at this but I'm wondering if it's even possible to design a 3D standard that works perfectly across all displays and glasses. All I can say is I'm very happy with the purchase. 2D is amazing and 3D is way better than I expected.
SoloForce likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 1222 Old 10-17-2012, 09:00 AM

Liked: 15
that's great news, glad to hear you are happy.

So, the ghosting/crosstalk is not noticeable in every scene, but only shows up in certain scenes, every once in a while?

(or is it in fact noticeable in all scenes but not bothersome?)
post #33 of 1222 Old 10-17-2012, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman69 View Post

that's great news, glad to hear you are happy.
So, the ghosting/crosstalk is not noticeable in every scene, but only shows up in certain scenes, every once in a while?
(or is it in fact noticeable in all scenes but not bothersome?)

It's only noticeable in certain scenes, in i certain areas of the screen, every once in a while. Seemed to be more noticeable on Hugo but I've read that disc seems to have problems with that specifically. Didn't notice it at all in Prometheus. Noticed it badly anytime there were subtitles in Avatar.
SoloForce likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 1222 Old 10-17-2012, 11:12 AM

Liked: 12
Depth adjustment is excellent to have. I also believe that some 3D Content is better then others. But I do believe that the bottom line in 3D Active. Is the Shutter Glasses and the Projector Sync.
Both Epsons IR, and RF glasses had great sync. But I believe the issue is in the projector itself, and recognizing the SYNC correctly. That's why I tested the same 3 DISCS, in 3 different Epson Projectors, and experienced (IN A PARTICULAR TEST SCENE) 1 Machine had very bad ghosting, and the other 2 had almost, ALMOST none. Same DISC, Same MACHINE, 3 Different Projectors.
Have an adjustment for SYNC would be great but I believe it could possibly mess with peoples units. Other wise they might have put one in. Thanks again Doompatrol.

These things can drive me insane. But in the end. My equipment works like it's suppose to. What we pay for. smile.gif
post #35 of 1222 Old 10-17-2012, 11:20 AM

Doompatrol..

Did you have a hard time setting the 3020 up? Since, it doesn't have lens shift..
zoey67 likes this.
post #36 of 1222 Old 10-17-2012, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter

Not a hard time setting up at all. Centered the projector in the room. Centered the screen on the wall. Made sure the top of the screen was just about where the center of the lens was from the ceiling and boom. Done. I was lucky to be working in a lower ceiling room, dedicated to the projector. If I was at all concerned about a challenging install I might have considered waiting for the 5020.
zoey67 likes this.
post #37 of 1222 Old 10-17-2012, 12:20 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloForce View Post

Here's a sample imagine of what can happen, or appear on some Epson 3010 models.
unfortunly it also hapenned to me frown.gif
post #38 of 1222 Old 10-17-2012, 01:19 PM

here's what I'm struggling with.

For about $1500 or so, I can get an "entry" level projector like the 3020, the 8350 or the Optoma HD33.

on the other hand, for the same money I can get a top of the line, highly rated 60" tv (whether it is plasma, LCD, etc).

Many of the entry level projectors seem to get less than stellar reviews....at least by the "expert reviewer snobs", and it seems like they all claim you have to spend about $2,000 plus (more like $2,500) to get really solid projector choices like the 5020, the BenQ W7000 etc etc.

What are your thoughts on this?

i am definitely leaning towards the $1599 3020 but wonder if it is "too cheap", has too many issues, and that in order to get a really solid projector you have to spend more like $2,500...

Isnt' the 3020 plenty good enough for my average joe blow home theater? I'm not some reference quality THX snob, I just want a big, bright detailed picture without spending many thousands.

WIll the 3020 do this for me?
post #39 of 1222 Old 10-17-2012, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

here's what I'm struggling with.
For about $1500 or so, I can get an "entry" level projector like the 3020, the 8350 or the Optoma HD33.
on the other hand, for the same money I can get a top of the line, highly rated 60" tv (whether it is plasma, LCD, etc).
Many of the entry level projectors seem to get less than stellar reviews....at least by the "expert reviewer snobs", and it seems like they all claim you have to spend about $2,000 plus (more like $2,500) to get really solid projector choices like the 5020, the BenQ W7000 etc etc.
What are your thoughts on this?
i am definitely leaning towards the $1599 3020 but wonder if it is "too cheap", has too many issues, and that in order to get a really solid projector you have to spend more like $2,500...
Isnt' the 3020 plenty good enough for my average joe blow home theater? I'm not some reference quality THX snob, I just want a big, bright detailed picture without spending many thousands.
WIll the 3020 do this for me?

I'm blown away by the 2D image quality from the 3020. I'm projecting a 130" image and it is clear, bright and in my opinion well worth the money. The projector doesn't feel cheap, has tons of options to tweak for calibration types. Myself, I'm running it in Eco Cinema mode and haven't felt the need to tweak much at all. As far as 3D goes it's not for everyone. I personally love having it and can deal with the few issues that the projector exhibits once in a while. I think it's the best entertainment investment one can make if you have the space. No TV is gonna give you this kind of impact for the same money.
post #40 of 1222 Old 10-17-2012, 02:32 PM

In my opinion. And I've done CRAZY Research.

LG TV PASSIVE TECHNOLOGY IS THE BEST 3D EXPERIENCE. But it's best to go with 240 mhz. Glasses are cheap. There more comfortable then the ones handed out at the theatre.
EVERY single other TV (And I'm a huge SONY / SAMSUNG Fan) Will have ghosting.

But if you have the space and enjoy BIG SCREEN Entertainment. The Epson HD Projectors are the way to go. You can't get the 2D Image as big for the price of these projectors,
and there's a reason why EPSON is a leader in projection. There's just some bugs sometimes. But the people at Epson will help. One way or another.

I've checked out HD33. If you have never seen DLP projection. It's really clear. BUT you might see the RAINBOW EFFECT. If not you and you entertain. Then someone else will.
If you have no problem with RAINBOW effect. It's an excellent unit and the 3D is very good. BUT if you suffer from RAINBOW effect. It will give you headaches, and drive you up the wall!

I've taken a look at HIGHLY rated and more expensive projectors, including the AE7000. But unfortunately after viewing the EPSON 3010. You got to be kidding. You can't believe some
of the reviews these PROFESSIONAL sites give out sometimes. There DOUBLE THE PRICE, with not nearly enough BRIGHTNESS in 3D Mode. And if you don't have a bright 3D mode and you still
see ghosting. That's bad. But then again maybe it was a bad unit I looked at. I don't think so. Over all even in certain site reviews. EPSON beats them out in brightness when compared side by side, and
all 3D projection enthusiast want time and time again, is a brighter picture. And I believe the EPSON products have that covered.

I agree with DOOMPATROL, and even in ECO mode DOOMPATROL is still satisfied and correct in saying "No TV is gonna give you this kind of impact for the same money" He's right!!!

I would like to add that REAL'D' even signed a few deals with companies. But have only seen prototypes of the ultimate projection in 3D but still a year or two later. No models have come out
into the public. Although the trademark REAL 'D' can be seen on certain models of projectors selling in stores. There not even using that technology.

I want, and am planning on getting the 3020.
post #41 of 1222 Old 10-17-2012, 02:45 PM

shiseido

What did you end up doing when this happened to you?
post #42 of 1222 Old 10-17-2012, 03:36 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I'm certainly not trying to offend anyone..but I could never
imagine spending $1600 on the 3010 or 3020 when the benqw7000 is only $1750.I have had the 3010 and it doesnt compare to the benq.Te benq 7000 is brighter calibrated in 2d..has the cleanest 3d with zero ghosting/crosstalk..the only way I could see doing this is if you needed the better zoom ratio on the 30x0 series..I had the 3010 and cant believe for another $150 I didnt get the benq... but I spent the $$ and have a 5010 that will soon be a 5020..but if your budget is the sub $2k pj's the benq w7000 is the best buy imo..and again I'm certainly not trying to offend anyone...this is just my 2cents
post #43 of 1222 Old 10-17-2012, 05:19 PM

dagameballa,

Where did you find BenQ W7000 for $1750? Is it new or refurbished? The lowest price new i have seen was $1950.
post #44 of 1222 Old 10-17-2012, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagameballa View Post

I'm certainly not trying to offend anyone..but I could never
imagine spending $1600 on the 3010 or 3020 when the benqw7000 is only $1750.I have had the 3010 and it doesnt compare to the benq.Te benq 7000 is brighter calibrated in 2d..has the cleanest 3d with zero ghosting/crosstalk..the only way I could see doing this is if you needed the better zoom ratio on the 30x0 series..I had the 3010 and cant believe for another $150 I didnt get the benq... but I spent the $$ and have a 5010 that will soon be a 5020..but if your budget is the sub $2k pj's the benq w7000 is the best buy imo..and again I'm certainly not trying to offend anyone...this is just my 2cents

I hear good things about the Benq 7000. But it is DLP. And with DLP there's the huge risk of RAINBOW Effect. If you can't notice or don't mind the RAINBOW effect.
Then there's plenty of great choices to choose from including the Optoma HD33.

It's always best to give anything a try. Or view. Everyone preferences are different.
If you can purchase one with a return policy.
I would do that. I've done it enough and have come to my own decisions.
post #45 of 1222 Old 10-17-2012, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter

I removed all DLP projectors from my search when I started projector research. I see rainbows on every set and single chip projector I've viewed so it wasn't an option. Also didn't want to spend 3 chip DLP money.
post #46 of 1222 Old 10-18-2012, 01:03 PM

Have you notice any lag issues with the 3020? I am ready to buy but the lag time was a deal breaker to me with the 3010...
post #47 of 1222 Old 10-18-2012, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter

I'll try to play around with the ps3 tonight and see if I notice anything. Haven't done enough gaming on it yet to notice.
post #48 of 1222 Old 10-18-2012, 01:40 PM

I have the 8350 and I think i'll be upgrading to the 3020E. Is yours the wireless version? It would make my life much easier with the wireless HDMI. I haven't finished my theatre room, currently I have the 8350 sitting on a table with a 30ft HDMI wire running to it. Here's a pic not really relevant to the topic but its a cool pic hahahah thats a 50" plasma the cost more then the projector, i'll never do that again rolleyes.gif
post #49 of 1222 Old 10-18-2012, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter

I don't have the E model. Didn't need it since the house I moved into already had an HDMI run built into the ceiling. I got lucky there. I'm not sure I want a wireless version just cause I like the idea of keeping all of the equipment out of site and I know the E model requires line of site to the projector. I'd think that the wireless HDMI would add lag?
post #50 of 1222 Old 10-18-2012, 01:53 PM

why would you consider moving from an 8350 to a 3020 an "upgrade"?

By virtually all accounts, reviews, etc. the 8350 is going to offer a better 2D picture, and much better blacks.

I suppose the only reason would be that you really want 3D.....because the 3010 and 3020 are entry level projectors and don't offer anywhere near the contrast level and blacks of the 8350.

Plus, the 3020 is testing at pretty badly at lag...one poster here measured it around 80ms or greater, very very slow.

I'm also looking at a refurbished 8700UB which, by most accounts, is still one of the best looking 2d pictures around with super dark blacks.

the ghosting/crosstalk in LCD 3d, especially the 3010 (and it sounds like the 3020 too, doompatrol is already noticing it) is troubling.

My local dealer is putting up a 3020 next week and I will demo it hard core.

Are you not happy with your 8350 or are you just really looking for 3d?

The 5010 (and hopefully 5020) is in a whole different ballpark, a very solid midrange with blacks similar to the 8350.
post #51 of 1222 Old 10-18-2012, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter

According to a comparison at ProjectorReviews.com
Quote:
Epson Home Cinema 3010 vs. Epson Home Cinema 8350

The Home Cinema 8350 was introduced late in 2010, and remains in the Epson lineup for a second year. With a price point of $1299, it is essentially $300 less than the new Home Cinema 3010 reviewed in these pages. So, who should by which one? This is pretty straightforward. The Home Cinema 8350, first of all, is 2D only, unlike the 3010. In addition, it is more designed as a lower cost projector for a dedicated room/theater. In that regard, it has the placement flexibility advantage, with more range to the zoom (so it can be rear shelf placed in most rooms) and lens shift.

From an image quality standpoint there shouldn't be much difference, with the 8350 having a slight advantage in black levels. Far more significant is the brightness difference, so if you are looking for a larger screen, a brighter room, or 3D, then the 3010 makes good sense. If budget it tight, you are fitting a dedicated theater or room, then save a few hundred dollars and stick with the 8350. It is, by just a tad, the slightly better 2D projector unless you need the extra brightness.

Brightness was a BIG factor in my decision since I was wanting to project a 130" screen. I also don't do much gaming anymore so lag was not an issue in my purchase choice.

As far as ghosting / crosstalk. I haven't noticed any more or less than I have on any other 3D TV or projector (or the movie theater for that matter) and I'm very pleased with the 3D performance.

I was very tempted to make the jump to the 5020 but just couldn't justify the extra $1000 for my first projector purchase.
post #52 of 1222 Old 10-18-2012, 08:15 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doompatrol View Post

All 5 speaker are in the ceiling. Purchased a new house about two months ago and the previous owner had a home theater room. He left the speakers and the wiring for them so it made the surround part of the equation easy enough.
I think the ceiling is around 9 foot? I'll have to measure. You can see in the photo that there is a large structural beam running side to side in the room, and that limited how far back I could place the projector.
As far as fan noise I'm running on Eco and with even medium volume on the surround I can't hear it at all. Same goes for the auto iris.

Cool. Thanks for the feedback. my setup is similar to yours with the beam running side to side. I have 10 foot ceilings , but due to throw distance, we have to mount the projector from the bottom of the boxed beam, which puts it about 9 feet, to get the minimum throw distance from lens to screen (119" Screen)
post #53 of 1222 Old 10-19-2012, 06:04 AM

Quote:

By virtually all accounts, reviews, etc. the 8350 is going to offer a better 2D picture, and much better blacks.
I suppose the only reason would be that you really want 3D.....because the 3010 and 3020 are entry level projectors and don't offer anywhere near the contrast level and blacks of the 8350.
Plus, the 3020 is testing at pretty badly at lag...one poster here measured it around 80ms or greater, very very slow.
I'm also looking at a refurbished 8700UB which, by most accounts, is still one of the best looking 2d pictures around with super dark blacks.
the ghosting/crosstalk in LCD 3d, especially the 3010 (and it sounds like the 3020 too, doompatrol is already noticing it) is troubling.
The 5010 (and hopefully 5020) is in a whole different ballpark, a very solid midrange with blacks similar to the 8350.

8350 has "much" better blacks than 3020? from what I read they are in the same class (in terms of contrast ratio/black level), and 5010/5020 should be compared to 8700UB (not 8350). 8350 maybe a bit better in black compared to 3020, but it can't compare with 5010/5020.
post #54 of 1222 Old 10-19-2012, 08:06 AM

Quote:

When you said "Plus, the 3020 is testing at pretty badly at lag...one poster here measured it around 80ms or greater, very very slow." where was this post? Maybe you are confusing the 3010 with 3020. ´Cus I just read that the lag was reduc under 50ms and will be arround 30ms average.
post #55 of 1222 Old 10-19-2012, 08:52 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
I have the 3010 with the newest firmware installed. I do not play any FPS, but I have been playing Final Fantasy Xiii, Darksiders ii, Dead Space etc.. And I have noticed no lag at all. 3D crosstalk seems only related to different movies.. Some movies have none, and other like Promethius have lots? So I am not sure what is the cause of the crosstalk. I have 1.0 gain 106" screen and I am sitting about 13' away. My room is light conrolled and I find the blacks are really good in 2D and 3D.. The only issues I have are the auto iris has got extremely loud, even during a loud movie it sounds like a bad hard drive scraping for its life... Second it the Infrared 3D... whe it is active, it is nearly impossible to send and remote commands to the projector due to the interference. i am glad the 3020 resolves that issue with RF glasses.

Either way the Epson warranty is EXCEPTIONAL! I have had them express ship 4 different projectors at their expense due to the Iris issue.
post #56 of 1222 Old 10-19-2012, 10:46 AM

Quote:

Well i'll wait until I read more reviews on the 3020 but from what i've read about the 3020 its something i would be interested in. I've had the 8350 for a yr and a bit so far and its fine, i love it actually. But the one thing i don't like is the set up from my source to the projector the 3020e will solve those issues for me and although i'm not huge on 3D i do like that it has 3D where the 8350 does not. They say that the lag isnt that bad on the 3020 but once there are more owners reporting on how it is then I will take that into account. The 5020 will just be too $$$ for me. I won't be jumping on the 3020 anytime soon but from what i've read so far i like it. My mind changes fast so next week i could want something different hahahah
post #57 of 1222 Old 10-19-2012, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikentosh View Post

When you said "Plus, the 3020 is testing at pretty badly at lag...one poster here measured it around 80ms or greater, very very slow." where was this post? Maybe you are confusing the 3010 with 3020. ´Cus I just read that the lag was reduc under 50ms and will be arround 30ms average.

see this thread, and Ian C's post (I think its number 139)

He tested it first hand, ordered a 3020 and tested it, and it was really slow on lag for videogaming so he returned it.

Are you referring to the various posts by Art on Projector Reviews? Sounds like Epson was giving out bad information to me. Doesn't sound like the lag is improved at all. Unless Ian's test is wrong...but he seems knowledagble and hardcore gamer.
post #58 of 1222 Old 10-19-2012, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cripsy666 View Post

I have the 3010 with the newest firmware installed. I do not play any FPS, but I have been playing Final Fantasy Xiii, Darksiders ii, Dead Space etc.. And I have noticed no lag at all. 3D crosstalk seems only related to different movies.. Some movies have none, and other like Promethius have lots? So I am not sure what is the cause of the crosstalk. I have 1.0 gain 106" screen and I am sitting about 13' away. My room is light conrolled and I find the blacks are really good in 2D and 3D.. The only issues I have are the auto iris has got extremely loud, even during a loud movie it sounds like a bad hard drive scraping for its life... Second it the Infrared 3D... whe it is active, it is nearly impossible to send and remote commands to the projector due to the interference. i am glad the 3020 resolves that issue with RF glasses.
Either way the Epson warranty is EXCEPTIONAL! I have had them express ship 4 different projectors at their expense due to the Iris issue.

This concerns me....if the warranty is so great, why have you had to return your projector 4 times already for repair/replacement?

That's pretty scary.

I thought Epson was reliable....wtf?
post #59 of 1222 Old 10-19-2012, 12:17 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Quote:

This concerns me....if the warranty is so great, why have you had to return your projector 4 times already for repair/replacement?
That's pretty scary.
I thought Epson was reliable....wtf?

I had 2 that had focusing issues, and 2 with the loud auto Iris. If you search through some other threads, these are/were common issues with this model. Every company has issues, however the one with the best warranty usually wins.
This is a recent response from Epson.

"Thank you for contacting Epson.

There are improvements for the Auto Iris errors. The next step is to have the unit checked out prior to shipping to you. With this, we will make sure the projector has the latest firmware as well. If you would like to set up for another exchange and have the unit checked out, please reply back with the best time to call you.

Also, we do know that the Auto Iris is louder than the 2D theater projector models."
post #60 of 1222 Old 10-19-2012, 12:40 PM

that is great service, I agree.

Glad to hear Epson is so good. I guess they have to be, otherwise people won't be paying thousands of dollars for projectors that fail after 1-2 years.

Why not buy a TV instead, they have better reliability.

All of this is making me lean more towards the 3020....and away from the refurb 8700UB from Visual Apex (exact same price, very high end, but getting old, super deep blacks and THX mode with perfect color, but only 2d).....

and apparently a lot of these earlier models suffered from premature bulb failures, like the 8350 and the 8700.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Epson , Epson Projector , Epson V11h501020 Powerlite Home Cinema 3020 2d And 3d Home Theater Projector , Epson V11h502020 Powerlite Home Cinema 3020e 2d And 3d 1080p Wireless Home Theater Projector

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page