BenQ W1070 : DLP Full HD, 3D Ready with lens-shift for 1000$ - Page 368 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3464Likes

post #11011 of 12131 Old 03-10-2015, 11:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobdude View Post
The mosquito noise is called dithering.
So it is normal thing for a DLP PJ and i should not be worried, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluer101 View Post
What is the brightness and contrast setting on the benq?
brightness 50 contrast 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post
With video I believe it's actually called false contouring.

But, mosquito noise isn't always an issue of false contouring. It could just be the video card trying to resolve highlights through the processing engine and not getting things accurate. Cheap projectors with cheap processing that still look darn good. Works for me.
I have the PJ hooked to Sapphire R290 TriX, had the PJ few days ago connected to my notebook through different HDMI, i think the colors were a bit different, maybe it was only me, maybe it was different processing? So anyway this ,,mosquito noise'' or whatever it is is normal thing for a DLP PJ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11012 of 12131 Old 03-10-2015, 11:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked: 770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abadaman View Post
So it is normal thing for a DLP PJ and i should not be worried, right?

brightness 50 contrast 50

I have the PJ hooked to Sapphire R290 TriX, had the PJ few days ago connected to my notebook through different HDMI, i think the colors were a bit different, maybe it was only me, maybe it was different processing? So anyway this ,,mosquito noise'' or whatever it is is normal thing for a DLP PJ?

Ok , never mind. I know that if I adjust the brightness above 50 even 51 I get black area sparkles or noise but that might be different then what you are experiencing.
post #11013 of 12131 Old 03-11-2015, 06:05 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Ive just received a new W1070 to try. One thing i've found is the sharpness is poor. If its well focused at the bottom of the image, its noticeably blury/unconverged at the top. Adjusting the tilt of the projector did not help. It was the same with a computer image and with the inbuilt 'test' grid. I don't know if its just this unit.

The other thing is the fan noise is very noticeable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11014 of 12131 Old 03-11-2015, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexx View Post
Ive just received a new W1070 to try. One thing i've found is the sharpness is poor. If its well focused at the bottom of the image, its noticeably blury/unconverged at the top. Adjusting the tilt of the projector did not help. It was the same with a computer image and with the inbuilt 'test' grid. I don't know if its just this unit.

The other thing is the fan noise is very noticeable.
My first unit had rattling fan, exchanged it, second one had poor focus in one corner, third one is a little bit better in terms of focus compared to the second one, fan is not rattling, down left corner cannot be focused 100percent, it is 5-10percent off from the center(i have the pj ceiling mounted), not that noticeable at all. I believe that none of these projectors have 100percent focus on the whole screen, maybe im wrong, id like to see one that has 100percent sharpness in all corners and middle
post #11015 of 12131 Old 03-11-2015, 08:46 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Mine too, 95% focus clear. Bottom left corner is out just a touch, I do not notice it while watching movies, which are more fun than the grid pattern.
I've noticed that if the screen or wall, is not plumb and square to the lens this will throw the clarity off. When I originally installed my projector it was off center by ~1 inch (best guess) relocating it solved MOST of the focus clarity issues. For the price it's damn near perfect. I hear the fan when I'm listening for it and there is no sound in a scene, but I cannot hear it during a movie. Sorta like the RBE, if your looking, your going to see it. Other wise maybe not.
Ron
fredxr2d2 likes this.

"New Member" since 2007....
post #11016 of 12131 Old 03-11-2015, 10:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renron View Post
Mine too, 95% focus clear. Bottom left corner is out just a touch, I do not notice it while watching movies, which are more fun than the grid pattern.
I've noticed that if the screen or wall, is not plumb and square to the lens this will throw the clarity off. When I originally installed my projector it was off center by ~1 inch (best guess) relocating it solved MOST of the focus clarity issues. For the price it's damn near perfect. I hear the fan when I'm listening for it and there is no sound in a scene, but I cannot hear it during a movie. Sorta like the RBE, if your looking, your going to see it. Other wise maybe not.
Ron
Mine is like yours with left bottom corner.

Like you said, perfect for the price.
post #11017 of 12131 Old 03-11-2015, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renron View Post
Ron
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluer101 View Post
Mine is like yours with left bottom corner.

Like you said, perfect for the price.
Same here, left bottom corner is 5-10percent softer than the rest, for the price it is totally acceptable, anyway, i noticed it only with small icons in corners in windows, after pedant inspection, two of mine friends havent even noticed it. This is my third unit tho, first one had rattling fan, third one has good fan, but has 1 stuck dust particle at the top of the screen, only visible on pure black screen, dont know if it is worth it exchanging for another one, im glad that the fan is not rattling in the first place. Any advice guys?
post #11018 of 12131 Old 03-15-2015, 12:06 PM

Liked: 10
i read through all the discussion about the nd filter.
can i just buy only a 67mm filter? instead of buying a stepupring + 72mm filter.
and is it possible to screw that on the lens?
i mean,when i look at the lens on the w1080st,it sticks out of the attachtment part alot.
does the screw of the filter then even reach the screw part on the projector?
post #11019 of 12131 Old 03-15-2015, 02:29 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hi all,

Last week I bought this BENQ w1070 projector.

It works great when plugged in to a PC/laptop - bluray movies look absolutely amazing

However, I am having issues when connecting it to my Xbox 360 elite (year:2009) with HDMI cable cos the projector does not see the source. (Note: the same HDMI cables were tested to connect the projector to a laptop and they worked OK)

So far I've tried:
- different HDMI cables
- changing resolution on both (I've tried changing the display settings even on a connected projector, with no vision)
- enabling/disabling display discovery on the xbox
- powering on/off the machines - in many different combinations/sequences
- downloading and installing the latest software/updates on my xbox
- restoring system settings on both
- I am also in-touch with both, BENQ and Microsoft support (I've spoken to 5 different poeple) - no news there

I have even gone as far as page 10 on Google search to find the resolution but no luck!

Has any of you ever heard of such problems? I don't want to use a component cable as it will downgrade the picture's quality (I intent to play on an 80 inch screen).

Thanks a lot for your help!
Anna
post #11020 of 12131 Old 03-15-2015, 04:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by anna julia View Post
Hi all,

Last week I bought this BENQ w1070 projector.

It works great when plugged in to a PC/laptop - bluray movies look absolutely amazing

However, I am having issues when connecting it to my Xbox 360 elite (year:2009) with HDMI cable cos the projector does not see the source. (Note: the same HDMI cables were tested to connect the projector to a laptop and they worked OK)

So far I've tried:
- different HDMI cables
- changing resolution on both (I've tried changing the display settings even on a connected projector, with no vision)
- enabling/disabling display discovery on the xbox
- powering on/off the machines - in many different combinations/sequences
- downloading and installing the latest software/updates on my xbox
- restoring system settings on both
- I am also in-touch with both, BENQ and Microsoft support (I've spoken to 5 different poeple) - no news there

I have even gone as far as page 10 on Google search to find the resolution but no luck!

Has any of you ever heard of such problems? I don't want to use a component cable as it will downgrade the picture's quality (I intent to play on an 80 inch screen).

Thanks a lot for your help!
Anna
I don't see where you connected the Xbox to any other display using hdmi to verify whether the Xbox's hdmi port is working.
post #11021 of 12131 Old 03-15-2015, 05:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 1495 Post(s)
Liked: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyattroa View Post
New benq vs used JVC rs1? Throw would be 11ft and image around the 110 range. I have had my eye on the benq for a while now, but I could get the mvc for cheaper, not sure if its worth it or if it would even work.
Robert
I watched my RS1 for 7 years on my 122" screen and thought it was fine. I had become accustomed to watching everything in the dark, even though I was watching in Dynamic mode to get enough brightness. That meant not as accurate in the colors. I also went through 8 lamps in 7 years, most of them 'generics' that cost $120 - $250 each as I put 15,000 hours on the projector (averaging less than 2000 per lamp). Quality of the generics varied widely, but genuine lamps were $400 so I lived with the gamble. Finally I started buying bare bulbs that were genuine OSRAM for $120 and those are good but a hassle to install. So whatever price you pay for a used RS1, figure on a new lamp immediately.

My W1070, in contrast, has very accurate color while being bright enough to watch with lights on. It does not offer the shadow detail that my JVC did, but I don't really miss it. I think the extra brightness and color accuracy was worth it. The lamp should last 6000 hrs, but will cost $300 to replace, so the per-hour cost to operate is the same as the JVC. Of course, I only have 800hrs on the Benq, so whether I actually get 6000 from a lamp is unknown.

In short, I would not go with a used RS1 even if it was in the $500 range unless you are rainbow sensitive, have no interest in 3D, will keep to a screen under 110" and be in a dedicated windowless room.

Kirk Ellis
BenQ TK800 VuTec 122" Screen, Harmon Kardon AVR 247
Psycoustic Mark III L&R Towers, Boston Center, Energy Take 5 Surrounds
post #11022 of 12131 Old 03-15-2015, 05:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonyad View Post
I don't see where you connected the Xbox to any other display using hdmi to verify whether the Xbox's hdmi port is working.
Yep, verify that it works elsewhere if so try a shorter hdmi cable from Xbox to benq.
post #11023 of 12131 Old 03-15-2015, 05:50 PM

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamer View Post
I watched my RS1 for 7 years on my 122" screen and thought it was fine. I had become accustomed to watching everything in the dark, even though I was watching in Dynamic mode to get enough brightness. That meant not as accurate in the colors. I also went through 8 lamps in 7 years, most of them 'generics' that cost $120 - $250 each as I put 15,000 hours on the projector (averaging less than 2000 per lamp). Quality of the generics varied widely, but genuine lamps were $400 so I lived with the gamble. Finally I started buying bare bulbs that were genuine OSRAM for $120 and those are good but a hassle to install. So whatever price you pay for a used RS1, figure on a new lamp immediately.

My W1070, in contrast, has very accurate color while being bright enough to watch with lights on. It does not offer the shadow detail that my JVC did, but I don't really miss it. I think the extra brightness and color accuracy was worth it. The lamp should last 6000 hrs, but will cost $300 to replace, so the per-hour cost to operate is the same as the JVC. Of course, I only have 800hrs on the Benq, so whether I actually get 6000 from a lamp is unknown.

In short, I would not go with a used RS1 even if it was in the $500 range unless you are rainbow sensitive, have no interest in 3D, will keep to a screen under 110" and be in a dedicated windowless room.
Thanks for the response..Nice of you. Glad you had first hand info too! I am on the fence right now, it looks as if sony won't be able to fit with the throw. I am down to benq epson and panasonic. Crazy how much you have to consider and think about. You go in thinking you want this one and then read some stuff and change to another one.. Seems like a cycle, just have to decide. Right now I am eyeing the panasonic 8000. But that is almost a $800 difference, hard to swallow for a first timer..Broke guy here with 3 boys 3 and under..lol.. Would also be going in a living room with some ambient light and a white ceiling. Would do most of my viewing at night, but would also like to use it during the day when I want to watch a big game or something.

Sub build https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...et-r-done.html
Center - JBL LC2
Mains - JBL L820
Surrounds - JBL L820
Sub - Dual UXL'18 enclosures,iNuke6000dsp

Last edited by wyattroa; 03-15-2015 at 10:16 PM.
post #11024 of 12131 Old 03-16-2015, 01:04 AM

Yes, I connected the xbox to a TV with HDMI cables (I tested 3) and they all work just fine. So it just seems that Benq and Xbox are having hard time speaking to each other.
post #11025 of 12131 Old 03-16-2015, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonyad View Post
yes, xbox works just fine on my TV with HDMI cable.
post #11026 of 12131 Old 03-16-2015, 09:25 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by anna julia View Post
Yes, I connected the xbox to a TV with HDMI cables (I tested 3) and they all work just fine. So it just seems that Benq and Xbox are having hard time speaking to each other.
The 1070 can be a bit fiddly with the hdmi ports, people have had trouble with the thicker hdmi heads not quite fitting into the ports properly, have you tried a cable with the thinner ends?
post #11027 of 12131 Old 03-16-2015, 09:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Video cut out

I purchased a Sony STR-DN850 receiver to run my projector. The video will cut out every now and then. The video will come back after about 5 seconds. I bought a really heavy HDMI cable thinking that the run was too long but it doesn't help. I also bought an HDMI booster, but that didn't help either. Could it be my receiver?
post #11028 of 12131 Old 03-16-2015, 10:53 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I exchanged my first W1070. The replacement is much better. There's still a bit of chromatic aberration but its tolerable.
post #11029 of 12131 Old 03-17-2015, 03:41 AM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Guys, i just bought a W1070

is a 100 inch screen big enough ?

how far away does the projector need to be for a 120 inch image ?

thanks
post #11030 of 12131 Old 03-17-2015, 06:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2720 Post(s)
Liked: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyattroa View Post
Thanks for the response..Nice of you. Glad you had first hand info too! I am on the fence right now, it looks as if sony won't be able to fit with the throw. I am down to benq epson and panasonic. Crazy how much you have to consider and think about. You go in thinking you want this one and then read some stuff and change to another one.. Seems like a cycle, just have to decide. Right now I am eyeing the panasonic 8000. But that is almost a $800 difference, hard to swallow for a first timer..Broke guy here with 3 boys 3 and under..lol.. Would also be going in a living room with some ambient light and a white ceiling. Would do most of my viewing at night, but would also like to use it during the day when I want to watch a big game or something.
That Panasonic ae8000 is a good bargain (at its current clear-out price of ~$1600), but its only real advantage is deeper/darker blacks which you'll only really see if the room is both dark and the walls/ceiling are made darker with paint or fabric. In a light-colored room or in the presence of ambient light, the w1070 will both give an equally good picture AND save you $800-1000.

If there's a decent chance of you being able to darken the room's colors (or even hang some curtains along the walls) AND the extra budgeting doesn't hurt, the ae8000 would be a great purchase.
If you're staying light, go for the 1070.

Easy $25 DIY black (or any color) ALR paint +$40-$50sprayer screen mix smooth/clean and very easy to learn spraying with little/no mess.
Simple $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
Quick <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room "A store that sells blinds can help your picture more than a store that sells projectors many times." -bud16415
post #11031 of 12131 Old 03-17-2015, 06:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterpack View Post
Guys, i just bought a W1070

is a 100 inch screen big enough ?

how far away does the projector need to be for a 120 inch image ?

thanks
100" is perfect if you're sitting a little closer (8ft-9.5ft back).
120" might be a little more comfortable if you've got a really wide seating arrangement (like 5-6 chairs) and are a bit farther back (about 9ft-11ft back).

The w1070 can make a 120" image from as close as 10ft back (10ft from lens till screen, so you'd want a 12ft room most likely).

Easy $25 DIY black (or any color) ALR paint +$40-$50sprayer screen mix smooth/clean and very easy to learn spraying with little/no mess.
Simple $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
Quick <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room "A store that sells blinds can help your picture more than a store that sells projectors many times." -bud16415
post #11032 of 12131 Old 03-17-2015, 07:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 977 Post(s)
Liked: 297
What is the best 3D glasses for this projector?

Price is not a factor.
post #11033 of 12131 Old 03-17-2015, 07:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Movie78 View Post

Price is not a factor.
I've heard time and time again that the DLPlink Estar 3D glasses are the best at any price. They just also happen to be fairly gentle on the wallet as well.

post #11034 of 12131 Old 03-17-2015, 08:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftoast View Post
I've heard time and time again that the DLPlink Estar 3D glasses are the best at any price. They just also happen to be fairly gentle on the wallet as well.
You heard doesn't mean anything...

Last edited by Movie78; 03-17-2015 at 12:36 PM.
post #11035 of 12131 Old 03-17-2015, 09:41 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 4
I use the the EStar America ESG601 DLP Link 3D Glasses with out any issues. I have not had any sync or ghosting issues with these glasses.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=AGNVLBADXSP8N
luisev likes this.
post #11036 of 12131 Old 03-17-2015, 09:46 AM

Quote:

Price is not a factor.
Quote:
You heard does't mean anything...
Asks a question, gets a reply and gives a snippy response.. Gotta love those people.
dreamer, garciab, ChadA and 2 others like this.

Center - JBL LC2
Mains - JBL L820
Surrounds - JBL L820
post #11037 of 12131 Old 03-17-2015, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftoast View Post
That Panasonic ae8000 is a good bargain (at its current clear-out price of ~$1600), but its only real advantage is deeper/darker blacks which you'll only really see if the room is both dark and the walls/ceiling are made darker with paint or fabric. In a light-colored room or in the presence of ambient light, the w1070 will both give an equally good picture AND save you $800-1000.

If there's a decent chance of you being able to darken the room's colors (or even hang some curtains along the walls) AND the extra budgeting doesn't hurt, the ae8000 would be a great purchase.
If you're staying light, go for the 1070.
Yes, the room is going to have flat green walls on the side, flat grey on the screen side, and flat white ceiling. I have always had my eye on the benq, just the deal on the panasonic seems so good. But for my viewing, it looks like the benq will be better. Thinking of a 11ft throw with a 110" screen. Either way, it should be much more immersive then my 7 year old 50'panasonic that is 13ft away.
Robert

Center - JBL LC2
Mains - JBL L820
Surrounds - JBL L820
post #11038 of 12131 Old 03-17-2015, 11:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:

Price is not a factor.
This is a tough one to answer because so far they are all about compromises at least from the ones I have tried.
I can tell you that after getting the TrueDepth XLand now the BenQ DGD5, it is VERY hard for me to wear the Estars. The reflections are just too much. Is like the lower 3rd or more of the glass the contrast is being affected by reflections. I think the small size of the glass is also coming into play here. Maybe with a bigger glass area they will be perfect. but after trying the others, I just cant deal with them any longer. Maybe someone can come up with some mod to help, not sure. On the plus side they have ZERO ghosting nor I notice any changes to the IQ, color, brightness when tilting my head left and right during my tests.

I need to do more tests with the DGD5 but first impressions for me is that it is a step up from the Estar (just wish it had some side plastic covering like the estar) when it comes to reflections but still not as good as the XLs. Not to say the XLs are perfect, indeed in my particular setup I encountered some ghosting (depends on your viewing angle it seems which also affects sharpness a little) but those to me are things that do not affect me 100% of the time like do the reflections with the Estar so for that reason, I find myself using the XL pretty much all the time aside from the occasional change to see how the others look on a particular scene.
Regards
Ftoast likes this.

Projector: JVC DLA-RS520
Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR3010 Speakers: Rockets RS-760, RSC-200 (Bigfoot), RS-250, ELT525 | Subs: dual HSU VTF-15H and one MFW-15
post #11039 of 12131 Old 03-17-2015, 11:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis Gabriel Gerena View Post
This is a tough one to answer because so far they are all about compromises at least from the ones I have tried.
I can tell you that after getting the TrueDepth XLand now the BenQ DGD5, it is VERY hard for me to wear the Estars. The reflections are just too much. Is like the lower 3rd or more of the glass the contrast is being affected by reflections. I think the small size of the glass is also coming into play here. Maybe with a bigger glass area they will be perfect. but after trying the others, I just cant deal with them any longer. Maybe someone can come up with some mod to help, not sure. On the plus side they have ZERO ghosting nor I notice any changes to the IQ, color, brightness when tilting my head left and right during my tests.

I need to do more tests with the DGD5 but first impressions for me is that it is a step up from the Estar (just wish it had some side plastic covering like the estar) when it comes to reflections but still not as good as the XLs. Not to say the XLs are perfect, indeed in my particular setup I encountered some ghosting (depends on your viewing angle it seems which also affects sharpness a little) but those to me are things that do not affect me 100% of the time like do the reflections with the Estar so for that reason, I find myself using the XL pretty much all the time aside from the occasional change to see how the others look on a particular scene.
Regards
Thanks!

Very insightful...

Now i have to pick inbetween TrueDepth or the BenQ DGD5
post #11040 of 12131 Old 03-17-2015, 11:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Thanks!

Very insightful...

Now i have to pick inbetween TrueDepth or the BenQ DGD5
Just to clarify and make it harder for you, my wife does not get bothered by the reflections but of course I am pickier do a lot of calibration etc.

Projector: JVC DLA-RS520
Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR3010 Speakers: Rockets RS-760, RSC-200 (Bigfoot), RS-250, ELT525 | Subs: dual HSU VTF-15H and one MFW-15
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
benq w1070 , Benq W1070 1080p 3d Projector , w1070

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page