Epson LPE Filter. Over 1600 Color Correct Lumens Out Of the 5010/5020 6010/6020? A Detailed Review. - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 218 Old 12-27-2012, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 218 Old 12-27-2012, 09:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked: 564
Nice...you are getting a Mini 3D also?

Lind Family HT
HT - RS2000/VW695ES - ST130 - Emotiva RMF-1 - XPA-7 - XPA-5 - GE Triton 2 - GE Supercenter XXL - GE Invisa 650 x 8 - Xbox One X - PS4 Pro - Oppo BDP-203 - Kalediscape Strato - HTPC 1008ti- Dual SVS PB16-Ultra's - Lumagen Radiance Pro
post #63 of 218 Old 12-27-2012, 10:00 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by postcorner View Post

And any idea where to get one?? A link perhaps?

Has had already been stated the filters normally come as a package bundled as the Light power edition 50x0/60x0 projectors but these models are only sold in the European market.

Occasionally with very careful searching you may come across AV equipment dealers who have some of the filters for sale separately, more often than not these dealers are located in Germany, coincidentally that's where the filters are made. The difficulty when searching for the filters on their own is that there doesn't appear to be a separate part number for the filters so when you do a search for "LPE filter Epson 9000" for example more often than not the results either come back with the 'LPE projector' or 'LPE Air filters' both related but not what your searching for and it takes quite some time to go through these links to only be at a dead end after a couple of hours searching. Believe me I've tried many combinations.

One suggestion would be to use both the Google Search and ebay search engines to do some of the work for you. Both of these search engines allow you to save the search parameters of what your looking for and will give you a daily email alert if you get a hit. Your still going to get lots of hits for the LPE bundle but some day soon you may find a single filter.

BTW if you try this using ebay make sure your logged into one of the European ebay servers when you do/save the search, its unlikely your going to get any hits on ebay.com.

Having said that - watch this space Very Carefully, I should be posting a link in a few days to where you can get some of the remaining filters I will soon have in my possession.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 218 Old 12-27-2012, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaotikr1 View Post

Nice...you are getting a Mini 3D also?

Yep! biggrin.gif I also have a used iScan Duo on the way. I'll be testing with both and selling one, probably anyway. The Duo should be able to nail down a perfect grayscale, where as the Mini should do wonders with grayscale and gamut. Then I have to wonder if it's really worth it. So far, I am really very happy with how the picture looks after using the 5020's built in CMS. Watching movies looks great. I'm 100% sure that the Mini 3D will make for a perfect graph, but how will the actual viewing be? Will the increase in PQ be worth the asking price? Zombie over in the shoot out thread says it takes the 5020 to a whole new level, and that's without the LPE filter. So, I can't wait to see.

All that said, I watched Hubble and Amazon Imax movies last night, and the picture was gorgeous.
post #65 of 218 Old 12-27-2012, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by postcorner View Post

Hello Kirnak, can you expand on your answer for the layman? Can you explain in greater detail what you can expect using the LPE filter? When us say "far greater output" I assume you are referring to brightness? And when you mention a "semi-accurate mode", do you mean an uncalibrated unit; out of the box per say??

I go into detail about all this in the first post. The LPE filter is used to correct the color output of the 5010/5020-6010/6020 Dynamic mode to a reasonably color accurate condition. It is not reference level by any means, but if you look at the calibration graphs posted you can see that it's pretty darn good. Better than a lot of PJs are out of the box. Good enough that a lot of people won't care about the difference between it and reference quality. Movies look good, color looks natural, skin tones look natural. Native contrast is supposed to be significantly better than THX mode. (It looks like it is to my eye, but I have no way of measuring and confirming the claims from Epson.)

What all this gives you is a projector with good color output and 1700 lumens or so output. (As compared to around 750 calibrated lumens in THX mode.)

I am in contact with Epson, and am trying to convince them to bring this filter to the US for distribution. The more views and replies this thread gets, the more likely that is to happen.
post #66 of 218 Old 12-27-2012, 01:12 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
The filters cleared customs now? :-)
post #67 of 218 Old 12-27-2012, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrc4u View Post

The filters cleared customs now? :-)

I believe they cleared customs on the 26th, but still don't have an ETA quite yet.
post #68 of 218 Old 12-27-2012, 06:35 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Epson (or anyone else) if you are listening, I'd like this filter. Thanks

And big thanks to lesliew for bringing this to our attention!

Here is my build thread:

---->Like a Boss Theater Build<----
post #69 of 218 Old 12-27-2012, 07:30 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Here's another one that would buy one of these if available in the US... c'mon Epson...

FEEL an awesome 3D Blu-ray movie with ButtKicker seating in the FreyMAX™ 3D Theater
post #70 of 218 Old 12-27-2012, 08:03 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 119
I will pay ANYTHING (within reason, and maybe even a little more than within reason wink.gif ) for one of these!!

Please PM me a BIN price, if willing, to anyone that can get their hands on one of these and consider it SOLD!

I haven't even purchased this projector yet, because the only way I want to purchase it is with the LPE Filter.

I am only able to check this site once per day, but do check every single day.

If you are looking for someone that won't haggle about price and will pay anything within reason, please contact me!

Thanks!!

--Jason
post #71 of 218 Old 12-27-2012, 08:32 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesliew View Post

I believe they cleared customs on the 26th, but still don't have an ETA quite yet.

Oh, that's great. Let's hope you get those soon in your hands.
post #72 of 218 Old 12-27-2012, 09:37 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 14
jevansoh,
If you have not bought the projector yet, it is easier to import an LPE (Light Power Edition) 5020 bundle from Europe.
This will include the LPE filter as well smile.gif
Believe me it is a lot easier to get one of this instead of the filter by itself.
post #73 of 218 Old 12-28-2012, 05:28 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Count me in. Lets go Epson. we need these in the US. I have a 5010 and it is just not bright enough on a 150" screen. I typically use living room mode for movies as dynamic has too much color inaccuracies and just appears washed out. I would love to use dynamic mode with this filter rather then spending two grand plus for a higher gain screen with more of a restricted viewing cone. If any AVS members acquire and would like to sell me a filter please pm me. I would be very greatful.
post #74 of 218 Old 12-28-2012, 07:29 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Like most Epson owners here I would love to get my hands on one of these filters so PM me if you have one available.

This would be a great product to have in the AVS store.

Cheers!
-- Bill --
post #75 of 218 Old 12-28-2012, 08:09 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Count me in for one as well.
post #76 of 218 Old 12-28-2012, 10:33 AM

Quote:

Great news Lesliew! Once again, many thanks for your help in getting those precious & hard to find filters! Much appreciated ! wink.gifsmile.gif
post #77 of 218 Old 12-28-2012, 01:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Madox View Post

Great news Lesliew! Once again, many thanks for your help in getting those precious & hard to find filters! Much appreciated ! wink.gifsmile.gif

Lesliew....you should become the US distributor and sell these mugs and make millions! I would be your first customer.wink.gif

The Thompson Theater

RIP William Alexander
post #78 of 218 Old 12-30-2012, 05:30 AM

Quote:

Has had already been stated the filters normally come as a package bundled as the Light power edition 50x0/60x0 projectors but these models are only sold in the European market.
Occasionally with very careful searching you may come across AV equipment dealers who have some of the filters for sale separately, more often than not these dealers are located in Germany, coincidentally that's where the filters are made. The difficulty when searching for the filters on their own is that there doesn't appear to be a separate part number for the filters so when you do a search for "LPE filter Epson 9000" for example more often than not the results either come back with the 'LPE projector' or 'LPE Air filters' both related but not what your searching for and it takes quite some time to go through these links to only be at a dead end after a couple of hours searching. Believe me I've tried many combinations.
One suggestion would be to use both the Google Search and ebay search engines to do some of the work for you. Both of these search engines allow you to save the search parameters of what your looking for and will give you a daily email alert if you get a hit. Your still going to get lots of hits for the LPE bundle but some day soon you may find a single filter.
BTW if you try this using ebay make sure your logged into one of the European ebay servers when you do/save the search, its unlikely your going to get any hits on ebay.com.
Having said that - watch this space Very Carefully, I should be posting a link in a few days to where you can get some of the remaining filters I will soon have in my possession.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction! I will keep an eye on this space as I definitely want one of these filters!!
post #79 of 218 Old 12-30-2012, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirnak View Post

I go into detail about all this in the first post. The LPE filter is used to correct the color output of the 5010/5020-6010/6020 Dynamic mode to a reasonably color accurate condition. It is not reference level by any means, but if you look at the calibration graphs posted you can see that it's pretty darn good. Better than a lot of PJs are out of the box. Good enough that a lot of people won't care about the difference between it and reference quality. Movies look good, color looks natural, skin tones look natural. Native contrast is supposed to be significantly better than THX mode. (It looks like it is to my eye, but I have no way of measuring and confirming the claims from Epson.)
What all this gives you is a projector with good color output and 1700 lumens or so output. (As compared to around 750 calibrated lumens in THX mode.)
I am in contact with Epson, and am trying to convince them to bring this filter to the US for distribution. The more views and replies this thread gets, the more likely that is to happen.

Thanks for clarifying for me, much appreciated! And yes, Epson needs to make this filter available in the US. I want one!!
post #80 of 218 Old 12-30-2012, 01:57 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Kirnak do you know any webshop that we can buy it? i am in turkey, its close to germany
post #81 of 218 Old 12-30-2012, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

No, unfortunately not. There's a link somewhere in this thread to filters for older Epson models, but they don't list the current model. You could contact the shop and ask them when they might get them in?
post #82 of 218 Old 12-31-2012, 12:50 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirnak View Post

No, unfortunately not. There's a link somewhere in this thread to filters for older Epson models, but they don't list the current model. You could contact the shop and ask them when they might get them in?

I will contact some shops and when i have info i will share it with you here.
post #83 of 218 Old 12-31-2012, 07:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked: 514
Please do.

Has anybody ever tested this filter with THX or Cinema mode and on eco? I wonder if that has as much affect on the image?

The Thompson Theater

RIP William Alexander
post #84 of 218 Old 12-31-2012, 07:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post

Please do.
Has anybody ever tested this filter with THX or Cinema mode and on eco? I wonder if that has as much affect on the image?

I think that would really limit the lumens output as now your putting two filters in place.....

Lind Family HT
HT - RS2000/VW695ES - ST130 - Emotiva RMF-1 - XPA-7 - XPA-5 - GE Triton 2 - GE Supercenter XXL - GE Invisa 650 x 8 - Xbox One X - PS4 Pro - Oppo BDP-203 - Kalediscape Strato - HTPC 1008ti- Dual SVS PB16-Ultra's - Lumagen Radiance Pro
post #85 of 218 Old 12-31-2012, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaotikr1 View Post

I think that would really limit the lumens output as now your putting two filters in place.....

Absolutely. Also, the color would no longer be accurate. The built in filter corrects the color just fine, it just limits the lumen output. If you put the LPE filter on in THX mode, you'd cut down your output and have inaccurate color.
post #86 of 218 Old 01-02-2013, 07:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I should have my filter Friday, I am hoping to get some time to put it on and do an Autocal with the Lumagen Mini.

Lind Family HT
post #87 of 218 Old 01-02-2013, 06:22 PM

FYI I have just posted the ebay auction for the 4 remaining coveted LPE filters. Ebay has some strange duplicate listing policy which prevents the same listed item appearing in the search results more than once so I have included the individual auction numbers here.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150974192530

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150974171417

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150974182505

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150974189301
post #88 of 218 Old 01-05-2013, 03:06 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
I received my filter yesterday, thanks to Leslie.

It does not fit Epson 3010. The filter is bigger than the lens housing. So, for the time being, I built a cardboard filter holder and put it infront of the projector lens. If this works out, will build a wood filter holder to mount infront of the projector.

I have a question though. The Dynamic setting already has some adjustment in RGB/RGBCMY. I am trying to use the Epson 5010 settings to start, which is R -9, G 0 and B -8. Should I set the rest of the values to 0? Same with RGBCMY to set values to 0?
post #89 of 218 Old 01-06-2013, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adude View Post

I received my filter yesterday, thanks to Leslie.
It does not fit Epson 3010. The filter is bigger than the lens housing. So, for the time being, I built a cardboard filter holder and put it infront of the projector lens. If this works out, will build a wood filter holder to mount infront of the projector.
I have a question though. The Dynamic setting already has some adjustment in RGB/RGBCMY. I am trying to use the Epson 5010 settings to start, which is R -9, G 0 and B -8. Should I set the rest of the values to 0? Same with RGBCMY to set values to 0?

The housing is smaller on the 3010 than the 5010? I had no idea. That makes no sense. Why change the housing, that just drives up manufacturing costs???

As far as what settings you already have, did you have the PJ calibrated before? Factory settings would be all 0s in those fields. Regardless, once the filter is in place all of those settings are out the window; go ahead and reset them all to zero. (If you had a calibration before, save the settings before changing them, so you can revert back.) I have no idea if the 5010 settings will work well with the 3010, you could give them a try. What we need is someone with a 3010 to do a calibration with the filter. Those settings would not be as good as a calibration on your PJ, but they should at least get you in the ballpark.
post #90 of 218 Old 01-06-2013, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Grayscale calibrated with a Duo Video processor added to the end of post #4. Outstanding!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Epson , Epson Usa Inc , Epson Projector , Epson America , Epson Projectors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page