Epson 5020UB Owners Thread... - Page 54 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 114Likes

post #1591 of 1612 Old 08-24-2017, 08:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrjmc99 View Post
Try an hdmi splitter, I had to do that with mine, it appears that the hdcp handshake was failing, the splitter eliminates that issue, I bought mine off amazon for around $25.

Sent from my STV100-2 using Tapatalk
Thank you. Also how does it work in terms of concept of having HDCP issue suddenly out of nowhere and only on one port.

Also I tried different and smaller length HDMI cable with different sources like Laptop. So why suddenly HDCP issues out of nowhere.

Last edited by aasandsas; 08-24-2017 at 08:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1592 of 1612 Old 08-25-2017, 04:37 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by aasandsas View Post
Thank you. Also how does it work in terms of concept of having HDCP issue suddenly out of nowhere and only on one port.

Also I tried different and smaller length HDMI cable with different sources like Laptop. So why suddenly HDCP issues out of nowhere.
No idea, I think it might have been a power surge or something weird that went through my denon avr. Same thing happened to my old Optoma, about a month or two after switching from a direct connection from pc to projector to using an avr my hdmi ports began to fail, both ports on my Optoma, then I picked up a 5020 from a friend, then the same thing happened there after a month or so, at that point I picked up an hdmi splitter, boom, both my Optoma and 5020 work using the splitter. It has to be something with the handshake that is failing.

post #1593 of 1612 Old 08-27-2017, 07:52 PM

Quote:
No idea, I think it might have been a power surge or something weird that went through my denon avr. Same thing happened to my old Optoma, about a month or two after switching from a direct connection from pc to projector to using an avr my hdmi ports began to fail, both ports on my Optoma, then I picked up a 5020 from a friend, then the same thing happened there after a month or so, at that point I picked up an hdmi splitter, boom, both my Optoma and 5020 work using the splitter. It has to be something with the handshake that is failing.

Thanks I suppose I can try but doesn't make sense since HDMI Input 2 works but HDMI Input 1 doesn't work with anything. Cable is fine. I have 30ft cable running through drywall. Not sure how splitter will help in this case.

Something is fishy in terms of how Epson projectors handle long HDMI cables.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1594 of 1612 Old 08-27-2017, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Thanks I suppose I can try but doesn't make sense since HDMI Input 2 works but HDMI Input 1 doesn't work with anything. Cable is fine. I have 30ft cable running through drywall. Not sure how splitter will help in this case.

Something is fishy in terms of how Epson projectors handle long HDMI cables.
The splitter removes the hdcp handshake and boosts the signal, some avr are more sensitive than others. Mine started the same way, one hdmi died then the other did. Splitter fixes both.

post #1595 of 1612 Old 08-31-2017, 06:57 PM

Quote:
The splitter removes the hdcp handshake and boosts the signal, some avr are more sensitive than others. Mine started the same way, one hdmi died then the other did. Splitter fixes both.

So got OREI HDS-102 HDMI splitter and didn't work for me. I put splitter between projector and receiver. So HDMI Port 1 is fried. I have until Mar 2018 for warranty exchange. So will use the projector until then and see if HDMI 2 fails. Sucks how HDMI port among all things fail. I hope Epson stocks 5020UB. I guess they must have a lot for these kind of replacement issues.
post #1596 of 1612 Old 08-31-2017, 07:29 PM

Quote:
So got OREI HDS-102 HDMI splitter and didn't work for me. I put splitter between projector and receiver. So HDMI Port 1 is fried. I have until Mar 2018 for warranty exchange. So will use the projector until then and see if HDMI 2 fails. Sucks how HDMI port among all things fail. I hope Epson stocks 5020UB. I guess they must have a lot for these kind of replacement issues.
Maybe you will get lucky and get a 5030 or 5040.

post #1597 of 1612 Old 09-01-2017, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Maybe you will get lucky and get a 5030 or 5040.

Maybe and just maybe. Epson has lot of these bad boys.
post #1598 of 1612 Old 10-26-2017, 03:44 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Need Suggestions..
Last Night, I placed an order for a Epson 5020UB Refurb at Epson for $1K + Tax.

I was busy today and did not get a chance to talk to Epson & I see that it is shipped already.
Weird thing is the webpage does not have any details as to what comes with this Refurb Unit.

1. Do the Refurb Items come with an Extra Lamp?
2. Also searching in this thread, noticed that 5020UB Refurb is being sold for $1K since late 2015. Not sure if this deal is “still” relevant in late 2017 (Other option I was looking at is Epson 2150 for $699).

I intend to use this PJ for Living Room Duty. Mostly for movies at night. I would say 80% Night Time & 20% Day Time Duty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #1599 of 1612 Old 10-27-2017, 08:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohmony View Post
Need Suggestions..
Last Night, I placed an order for a Epson 5020UB Refurb at Epson for $1K + Tax.

I was busy today and did not get a chance to talk to Epson & I see that it is shipped already.
Weird thing is the webpage does not have any details as to what comes with this Refurb Unit.

1. Do the Refurb Items come with an Extra Lamp?
2. Also searching in this thread, noticed that 5020UB Refurb is being sold for $1K since late 2015. Not sure if this deal is “still” relevant in late 2017 (Other option I was looking at is Epson 2150 for $699).

I intend to use this PJ for Living Room Duty. Mostly for movies at night. I would say 80% Night Time & 20% Day Time Duty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Do you have that link to the Refurb Unit - It would be BEST
to send me the link via AVS private mail - Click on drhankz
and a drop down menu to send a private message will appear
post #1600 of 1612 Old 10-27-2017, 09:50 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 38
You have to check the epson clearance center as it only show's the 5020ub when it is available, so you have to check everyday, it comes and goes with availability.

The 5030ub is $1119 right now....

https://epson.com/Clearance-Center/H...inment/c/cc301

https://epson.com/Clearance-Center/H...p/V11H585020-N
post #1601 of 1612 Old 11-20-2017, 04:48 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Fix for torn LCD cable Epson 5020UB?

Dear all, since a couple of days I'm the desperate owner of an Epson 5020UB (EH-TW8100) I bought second-hand. After having set up the projector at home, I discovered two conspicuous dust blobs in the middle of the screen. Upon contacting the previous owner, he insisted that these were not present when he used the projector last time, arguing that the dust blobs must have been caused by transportation.

I did some research and found helpful advice in the official 5020UB owners thread on how to remove dust blobs using compressed air. In the process of removing the two blobs a new dust blob emerged which refused to disappear even after several attempts. I therefore decided to disconnect the ribbon cable that connects the green LCD panel to the motherboard so as to gain greater clearance on the panel. I reattached the cable after I had sprayed compressed air into the slot, and closed the projector.
I got scared when I turned on the projector and saw that the screen’s colour had turned to magenta, the colour green being completely absent. I opened the projector up again to reattach the cable. I pulled back the black lever but, to my surprise, I just couldn’t get the cable out. I then saw that the cable was positioned under the black lever instead of through it.

Disaster struck only a few seconds later. I manoeuvred the black lever with one hand trying to find the position in which it had been when I inserted the cable, while pulling lightly on the ribbon cable with the other. All of sudden the top part of the lever broke off and the cable got released – or so it felt. I couldn’t believe what I then saw: a tear in the ribbon cable exactly at the point where the lever was. I ultimately managed to free the cable from the slot by disconnecting the lever as a whole from the connector. I reconnected the cable in the right way after this incident, but the projector only shows magenta.

Long story short: the cable connecting the green LCD panel to the motherboard is partially ripped and as a consequence the projector only shows magenta.

I contacted an Epson repair centre and got terribly bad news back: they said it’s impossible to repair the cable and the only solution would be to have the entire optical unit replaced. Estimated costs: 900 euros. The projector itself already cost me several months of savings; the repair costs are simple too high for me to bear.

Is there anything that could be done? Would it be possible to fix the cable in some way? I’m willing to experiment, given that at this point there is really nothing to lose.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20171117_001_1.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	1.69 MB
ID:	2318534  
post #1602 of 1612 Old 11-21-2017, 10:44 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Exclamation Epson 5020UB - Internal Error (I2C)

Good day to everyone. Few days ago, after an emergency turn off, my projector Epson 5020UB stop working. When I turn on, after a few seconds two red lights start flashing and a fan start working on high speed. I contacted an Epson with this question, and they give me the short answer, that I should to bring it to the repair centre. I'm from small city, and not able to do this.
I find the application that can read the error. However, to do this I need a RS-232 port (which I did't see for a 10 years). I found a dinosor PC, and tried to get any information about the error. So, I found out that every time when I try to turn it on - growing number of erorrs "Internal Error (I2C)" with "PW Status 2". I saved full log, and sent to the tech-suport, to get the infomaton whats is going on with my "one eye friend". After a two days of waiting, I got nothing - the same answer, that only repair centre can help. I told, that I not able to do it ( I'm outside of US, in a small city ).
Finally, I am desperate, maybe some one can help to understand what is wrong with projector?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf epson-error-log.pdf (79.7 KB, 21 views)
post #1603 of 1612 Old 02-04-2018, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozemond View Post
Dear all, since a couple of days I'm the desperate owner of an Epson 5020UB (EH-TW8100) I bought second-hand. After having set up the projector at home, I discovered two conspicuous dust blobs in the middle of the screen. Upon contacting the previous owner, he insisted that these were not present when he used the projector last time, arguing that the dust blobs must have been caused by transportation.

I did some research and found helpful advice in the official 5020UB owners thread on how to remove dust blobs using compressed air. In the process of removing the two blobs a new dust blob emerged which refused to disappear even after several attempts. I therefore decided to disconnect the ribbon cable that connects the green LCD panel to the motherboard so as to gain greater clearance on the panel. I reattached the cable after I had sprayed compressed air into the slot, and closed the projector.
I got scared when I turned on the projector and saw that the screen’s colour had turned to magenta, the colour green being completely absent. I opened the projector up again to reattach the cable. I pulled back the black lever but, to my surprise, I just couldn’t get the cable out. I then saw that the cable was positioned under the black lever instead of through it.

Disaster struck only a few seconds later. I manoeuvred the black lever with one hand trying to find the position in which it had been when I inserted the cable, while pulling lightly on the ribbon cable with the other. All of sudden the top part of the lever broke off and the cable got released – or so it felt. I couldn’t believe what I then saw: a tear in the ribbon cable exactly at the point where the lever was. I ultimately managed to free the cable from the slot by disconnecting the lever as a whole from the connector. I reconnected the cable in the right way after this incident, but the projector only shows magenta.

Long story short: the cable connecting the green LCD panel to the motherboard is partially ripped and as a consequence the projector only shows magenta.

I contacted an Epson repair centre and got terribly bad news back: they said it’s impossible to repair the cable and the only solution would be to have the entire optical unit replaced. Estimated costs: 900 euros. The projector itself already cost me several months of savings; the repair costs are simple too high for me to bear.

Is there anything that could be done? Would it be possible to fix the cable in some way? I’m willing to experiment, given that at this point there is really nothing to lose.
Hey. Write please the exact marking on the matrix. It is visible on the train itself
post #1604 of 1612 Old 02-06-2018, 02:15 AM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik Ok View Post
Hey. Write please the exact marking on the matrix. It is visible on the train itself
Are you saying that torn ribbon can be replaced?
AFAIK, for torn 3LCD ribbons the whole optical block needs to be replaced
post #1605 of 1612 Old 06-06-2018, 04:01 PM

Liked: 10
Help needed with 5020UB and Pioneer Elite SC-LX501

I'm wondering if anyone can suggest anything I may not have tried yet in trying to get my Epson 5020UB working with a new Pioneer Elite SC-LX501 receiver, which is a recent upgrade.

I previously owned a Pioneer VSX-1021 and was using that for my audio and to switch my HDMI inputs. It was typically connected to a Sony rear-projection set but I also have the Epson installed in the room with a motorized screen and prefer to use that for watching movies. In the past I'd just manually swap the HDMI output from the receiver between the TV and projector as needed. Low-tech, I know. But it worked.

In late April this year, I upgraded the TV to an LG 4K OLED set, and replaced the receiver with the Pioneer Elite due to the 4K processing requirements. As the Elite has dual HDMI outputs , MAIN + SUB and I am only using a single zone, the manual states that SUB can be used to drive a projector in conjunction with the MAIN TV output, so I expected no issues in being able to continue to use my projector. Unfortunately, at the time I replaced these components, I had to travel shortly afterwards and as my primary interest at that time was the new 4K set, I didn't have time to actually test the projector during the initial setup. Now, having just tried to so in the past few days, I am finding that I'm not having any luck whatsoever in getting a successful HDMI signal out from the Pioneer to the Epson. And my return window for the Pioneer has passed so I am stuck with it. It's been updated to the most recent firmware, at least as of the past week or so.

As far as specifics of what I am trying to get working, my input source is a gen 1 Xbox one connected via HDMI port 5 on the Elite. HDMI port 5 is supposed to be a non-HDCP 2.2. port and I would expect to be able to pass this through to the Epson, which is HDMI-1/HDCP 1 based. The Xbox has a TiVo connected to its HDMI input and so my TiVo viewing is normally through the Xbox TV mode. The Xbox One HDMI signal output settings are 1080p 60Hz w/ 24 bit standard color space.

On the Elite, for video processing, I have 1080p->4K upscaling disabled, and have disabled CEC and ARC. When connected to the LG OLED TV, if I press the info button on the Pioneer remote, for Video it shows "HDMI5 1080p 59Hz". So it's not being upscaled.

I have tried it with the LG OLED connected to MAIN and the projector on SUB outputs, tried it the opposite way (as per Pioneer tech support suggestion), and tried it with just the projector connected to MAIN. In every instance, the projector just dumbly displays the "No Signal" message. I don't even get the Elite GUI if try to go to the menu, so even the native video the Elite is putting out for its interface doesn't display.

If I disconnect the projector from Pioneer HDMI output and connect it directly to the Xbox, I get a picture, so the cable is ok, cable length is ok (or at least as far as the Xbox goes). I also tested with a gen 2 apple TV and that also gives me a picture on the projector, so generally the projector seems fine.

Suffice to say I've gone back and forth multiple times w/ both Pioneer and Epson and each is pointing the finger at the other. And they have both been insistent that cable length could be the issue, as the run to the projector is about 20 feet. So to finally settle that, I took the projector down from the ceiling and placed it near the receiver where I could plug it in using the same 5-foot cable that works fine with the TV set. And once again, you guessed it: "No signal".

I am about to fall on the sword and buy a new 4K projector but I really was not planning on that right now. However, I seem to have gone through every logical test and these two pieces of gear do not want to cooperate. I thought about trying to put a splitter in between but I've already blown money on active cables etc and I am not gonna throw good money after bad. I know the projector is 5 years old at this point and already a dinosaur in tech terms, buy I still cannot parse out why this won't work when the other HDMI sources I'm using are fine, unless Pioneer is not backwards compatible w/ HDMI 1-based gear, but they claim to be, and I'm being told by tech support that this scenario is "very unusual".

If anyone has any suggestions please let me know. Many thanks...

Last edited by jfr2000; 06-06-2018 at 09:01 PM.
post #1606 of 1612 Old 08-15-2018, 11:40 AM

Does anyone have a firmware for a 5020ub (any version)?
post #1607 of 1612 Old 12-11-2018, 04:14 AM

Liked: 12
I'm having some HDMI handshake issues and I wondered if anyone knew what the latest firmware version is currently?
I'm on 1.06 at the moment. Is there anything newer?
Thanks.
CheapB likes this.
post #1608 of 1612 Old 12-13-2018, 07:24 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have an opportunity to buy a used 5020 with a new bulb installed for 400$cad. Other option for me is a new 2100 with full warranty for 850$+tax, so roughly 960$.

5020 has roughly 1500 hours.

Any recommendations? Am I better going with the older, cheaper used projector, or should I just go new and call it a day?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Jeff
post #1609 of 1612 Old 12-14-2018, 03:58 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffjager View Post
I have an opportunity to buy a used 5020 with a new bulb installed for 400$cad. Other option for me is a new 2100 with full warranty for 850$+tax, so roughly 960$.

5020 has roughly 1500 hours.

Any recommendations? Am I better going with the older, cheaper used projector, or should I just go new and call it a day?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Jeff
I would go with the newer projector because of the warranty. The 5020 throws a great picture but its old and expensive to fix if it ever breaks down and it will. I had one and it lasted just long enough for the warranty to expire, I got a quote to fix it and it was more than what I paid for it.
post #1610 of 1612 Old 12-21-2018, 09:06 AM

Hello everyone. My son turned on my 5020 last night and this is what the picture looks like. Can anyone help out to what it might be. The projector does it even when there is no video signal being sent to it. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	76081_1545411867672.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	2499452  
post #1611 of 1612 Old 12-21-2018, 09:49 AM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers21 View Post
Hello everyone. My son turned on my 5020 last night and this is what the picture looks like. Can anyone help out to what it might be. The projector does it even when there is no video signal being sent to it. Thanks
I had something similar happen to my 5020, albeit years ago, and just had to send it in to epson and get a replacement. Its been a long time but I think the replacement also had the issue after a week and the third time was the charm
post #1612 of 1612 Old 12-24-2018, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezelkow1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers21 View Post
I had something similar happen to my 5020, albeit years ago, and just had to send it in to epson and get a replacement. Its been a long time but I think the replacement also had the issue after a week and the third time was the charm
Thanks. Not really what i wanted to hear since it's out of warranty. Lol. With all these problems i guess they were really a piece of junk with a great picture
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
dust blob , epson 5020ub , Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , lcd panel , Samsung Ssg 4100gb 3d Active Glasses 2012 Model

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page