Epson 5020UB Owners Thread... - Page 55 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 115Likes

post #1621 of 1634 Old 09-27-2019, 10:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashyt16 View Post
Grinding noise could be imminent failure of the cinema filter.
It will grind on occasion for a while and then just fail.
Common issue on all these models in the range.

I'll keep that in mind then.

The reason I ~think~ that it was the lens shutter that failed on that first start-up is because I was looking at the front of the projector when it happened and saw the cover start to move and then suddenly stop moving just as the "motor noise" began.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1622 of 1634 Old 09-28-2019, 08:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, my 5020UB with a whopping 700 hours on it has finally stopped really working. When it first starting acting up, I had a Harman Kardon receiver connected to it. First it would not sync, so I tried an HDMI splitter I had lying around, and as mentioned elsewhere in this thread, that fixed it, for a while. Next, the HDMI 1 port stopped working, so I switched to HDMI 2. Finally, even with the splitter, I could not get video. I realized that the HDMI out on my Harman Kardon receiver was dead, so I figured it was just that, so I chalked it up to that and got a new receiver (Onkyo). Even with the new receiver, HDMI 1 on the 5020UB did not work, but HDMI 2 worked fine, and I didn't even need the splitter, for a while. The problems started like they did the the HK, where I could not get a signal without adding a splitter. Like has been mentioned in other posts, if I directly connected the source to the 5020UB it would work fine, but would not handshake with the receiver. Furthermore, I could only get 1 source (Media Center PC) to display a picture. With other sources I would get a black screen. My 5020UB was also acting up like others have noted where it would turn on and the fan would run at high speed for several minutes before finally displaying a picture.

I have no official proof, but it seems that somehow the 5020UB is killing HDMI outs on receivers: it seems like it did on my HK, and is currently trying to on my Onkyo.

I just got a new projector (Not Epson) and it works fine, so hopefully my receiver survived! I just needed to vent as I am very frustrated by my 5020UB. Off to the landfill for it?
post #1623 of 1634 Old 09-29-2019, 07:00 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmp14 View Post
Well, my 5020UB with a whopping 700 hours on it has finally stopped really working. When it first starting acting up, I had a Harman Kardon receiver connected to it. First it would not sync, so I tried an HDMI splitter I had lying around, and as mentioned elsewhere in this thread, that fixed it, for a while. Next, the HDMI 1 port stopped working, so I switched to HDMI 2. Finally, even with the splitter, I could not get video. I realized that the HDMI out on my Harman Kardon receiver was dead, so I figured it was just that, so I chalked it up to that and got a new receiver (Onkyo). Even with the new receiver, HDMI 1 on the 5020UB did not work, but HDMI 2 worked fine, and I didn't even need the splitter, for a while. The problems started like they did the the HK, where I could not get a signal without adding a splitter. Like has been mentioned in other posts, if I directly connected the source to the 5020UB it would work fine, but would not handshake with the receiver. Furthermore, I could only get 1 source (Media Center PC) to display a picture. With other sources I would get a black screen. My 5020UB was also acting up like others have noted where it would turn on and the fan would run at high speed for several minutes before finally displaying a picture.

I have no official proof, but it seems that somehow the 5020UB is killing HDMI outs on receivers: it seems like it did on my HK, and is currently trying to on my Onkyo.

I just got a new projector (Not Epson) and it works fine, so hopefully my receiver survived! I just needed to vent as I am very frustrated by my 5020UB. Off to the landfill for it?
Yea my 5020ub left a bad taste in my mouth as well. Mine crapped out with less than a thousand hours in it and roughly a month out of warranty. Epson wouldn't fix it and instead gave me a number to a repair center and I called and they said roughly 1200 hundred to fix it. I said forget it and went with JVC and haven't looked back. I wouldn't trash it though, put it up for sale as is and somebody will pick it up for repair or parts. Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1624 of 1634 Old 09-29-2019, 10:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmp14 View Post

I was going to suggest that you try an HDMI to component adapter and run the feed into the projector that way to see if that would bypass the handshaking issues.

...But you got a new projector so "problem solved" I suppose.

post #1625 of 1634 Old 10-01-2019, 04:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Odd thing.

I just changed the bulb out on my 6020UB and I didn't see any real improvement in overall brightness or "pop" over the old bulb (which had over 4000 hours on it).

The new lamp is a Epson OEM unit so it isn't a case of a lower power, aftermarket bulb.

I am running the 6020 in THX mode with default settings both before and after the bulb swap.

Any ideas as to why the new lamp seems so dim?
post #1626 of 1634 Old 10-02-2019, 05:19 AM

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by luclin999 View Post
Odd thing.

I just changed the bulb out on my 6020UB and I didn't see any real improvement in overall brightness or "pop" over the old bulb (which had over 4000 hours on it).

The new lamp is a Epson OEM unit so it isn't a case of a lower power, aftermarket bulb.

I am running the 6020 in THX mode with default settings both before and after the bulb swap.

Any ideas as to why the new lamp seems so dim?
You keep saying 6020, do you mean 5020?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
post #1627 of 1634 Old 10-02-2019, 09:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrjmc99 View Post
You keep saying 6020, do you mean 5020?
The 6020UB is the "Pro" model of the 5020.

The two projectors are almost identical internally and since there are a lot more people who have owned a 5020 vs a 6020 it seems more likely that I will get a relevant answer for something common to both machines (like a lamp issue) in this thread rather than in the one dedicated to the 6020UB in the "over $3000 forum" which has far fewer overall posts.
post #1628 of 1634 Old 11-29-2019, 04:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
OK. My 5020UB lamp just popped. Where's the best place to get a replacement?

Actually I've been looking for an excuse to replace the entire thing. It's been so go to us, what's out there that will blow me away in 4K like the 5020 did for 1080p?
post #1629 of 1634 Old 11-29-2019, 10:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 656 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by [)[email protected]()|\| View Post
OK. My 5020UB lamp just popped. Where's the best place to get a replacement?

Actually I've been looking for an excuse to replace the entire thing. It's been so go to us, what's out there that will blow me away in 4K like the 5020 did for 1080p?
How large is the screen and what is the seating distance?
What color are the walls?
Screen fabric?

Any gaming?

Projector to screen distance?

What's the budget?

The jump from 1080p to 4K is not going be as big a jump like from 720p to 1080p.

Improvements could be in resolution, sharpness, contrast, black level, WCG, brightness, etc.
post #1630 of 1634 Old 11-30-2019, 08:34 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by noob00224 View Post

The jump from 1080p to 4K is not going be as big a jump like from 720p to 1080p.

Improvements could be in resolution, sharpness, contrast, black level, WCG, brightness, etc.
lol, u r saying opposite things in two sentences.

As for the suggestion, any JVC will blow away any Epson.

I had 5020 and switching to JVC was night and day.
post #1631 of 1634 Old 11-30-2019, 01:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabre View Post
lol, u r saying opposite things in two sentences.

As for the suggestion, any JVC will blow away any Epson.

I had 5020 and switching to JVC was night and day.

The poster was asking if the jump to 4K will "blow him away".

The first sentence is strictly referring to resolution.

The second one is referring to what kind of improvements can be had with a new projector. It does not imply that they will "blow him away".

JVC's are an upgrade from Epson, but some people might disagree with that assessment.
post #1632 of 1634 Old 12-04-2019, 09:06 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Pretty random question here. Is there a way to manually set the dynamic iris to a certain level? In dynamic mode it's distracting with the lag/noise and even on Eco & THX/Cinema it's still very bright and the 'black' areas are more gray (110" AT screen). So, being able to set the iris to a lower output level would reduce the overall brightness, I'm totally OK with that. Before I start messing with gray screen materials or ND filters I'm just wondering if there's a more accessible solution.
post #1633 of 1634 Old 12-04-2019, 09:50 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Liked: 73
No
post #1634 of 1634 Old 12-04-2019, 08:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentJ20 View Post
Pretty random question here. Is there a way to manually set the dynamic iris to a certain level? In dynamic mode it's distracting with the lag/noise and even on Eco & THX/Cinema it's still very bright and the 'black' areas are more gray (110" AT screen). So, being able to set the iris to a lower output level would reduce the overall brightness, I'm totally OK with that. Before I start messing with gray screen materials or ND filters I'm just wondering if there's a more accessible solution.
Not with this model.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
dust blob , epson 5020ub , Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , lcd panel , Samsung Ssg 4100gb 3d Active Glasses 2012 Model

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page