Sanyo Z4 Solid Warning And Power LEDs - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 02-19-2013, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Let me start by saying that this ISN'T the thermal switch issue (flashing lights).
I had that, multiple times.
This started, just a couple weeks ago.
The lens cover opens, the lamp doesn't strike, and the warning/power LEDs turn on and stay solid (red and amber, respectively).

My first thought was the lamp blew (it is pretty old), but I put a friend's lamp in and it continued the same thing.
It's well out of warranty and I can purchase a Sanyo Z60 or Panasonic PT-AX100u (from the same friend), so I don't want to spend money fixing it.
I was planning on purchasing a new lamp (glad I didn't).

So, any ideas of what the problem could be?
JJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-19-2013, 09:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Stupid question, but I gotta ask. The lamp you borrowed from a friend, It IS for your projector? Or because it fits, you think it will work? Lamps are not universal. And if you already know all this, we couldn't tell from your post.
post #3 of 8 Old 02-20-2013, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

It was from a z60.
He thought z4/5/60 used the same lamp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 02-20-2013, 12:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 16
Okay, well checking each projector model yields 2 different part numbers for lamps. And the wattage ratings are different. It's bit confusing because some sellers list one as compatible with other models, others don't. If the images are anything to go by, they're not the same lamp/housing physically. So at this point, I would have to say that you can't rely on a supposed compatibility for your testing.
post #5 of 8 Old 02-20-2013, 04:46 PM

Here is the manual. http://www.projectorcentral.com/pdf/projector_manual_3025.pdf

I don't think the owner's manual has all the blink codes. BUT if what you are calling amber=orange, then a non-blinking orange and red light means the always helpful diagnosis of "abnormal condition." The manual suggests unplugging it and plugging it back in - maybe try a different outlet.

Found the service manual here - http://elektrotanya.com/sanyo_plv-z4_sm.pdf/download.html Take a look at page 80 for more lamp codes.

Which light codes are on: Power/Lamp/Warning. It looks like the power can be orange/red/green.

I do have an old Z4 bulb if you want to try that. Dim but working. I am on my second of these and are thrilled with their performance. http://www.amazon.com/Electrified-POA-LMP94-610-323-5998-Replacement-Projectors/dp/B003RKS9FI/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1361405660&sr=8-8&keywords=sanyo+z4+bulb This also indicates that Z4/Z60 are interchangeable.

Good luck and don't let the old girl die.
post #6 of 8 Old 02-20-2013, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQBILL View Post

Here is the manual. http://www.projectorcentral.com/pdf/projector_manual_3025.pdf

I don't think the owner's manual has all the blink codes. BUT if what you are calling amber=orange, then a non-blinking orange and red light means the always helpful diagnosis of "abnormal condition." The manual suggests unplugging it and plugging it back in - maybe try a different outlet.

Found the service manual here - http://elektrotanya.com/sanyo_plv-z4_sm.pdf/download.html Take a look at page 80 for more lamp codes.

Which light codes are on: Power/Lamp/Warning. It looks like the power can be orange/red/green.

I do have an old Z4 bulb if you want to try that. Dim but working. I am on my second of these and are thrilled with their performance. http://www.amazon.com/Electrified-POA-LMP94-610-323-5998-Replacement-Projectors/dp/B003RKS9FI/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1361405660&sr=8-8&keywords=sanyo+z4+bulb This also indicates that Z4/Z60 are interchangeable.

Good luck and don't let the old girl die.

Hmmm...
Well, neither manual seems to have the correct LED code.
Power is solid orange and Warning is solid red.

Interestingly enough...
I borrowed a friend's Panasonic PT-AX100E and Hitachi PJ-TX100 and neither of them have the lens shift that my z4 did.
My projector is pretty far to the right and I had empty screen on the left and right of my image (z4).
Both the Panasonic and Hitachi bled off the right of the right of the screen, from the same position.
I didn't have them mounted, but I just held the projectors up to the same place.
I was really surprised.

If you've had good experience with two lamps, then I would be more apt to consider it.
The only replacement that I've purchased was a "compatible" lamp and it was rubbish quality.

If you wanted to send it, for testing purposes, that would be very kind.
I really question whether it's the lamp, though.
The wires look good (not broken), I didn't hear a pop, and this other one didn't work.

I used the projector just a couple days prior.
Then I turned it on and nothing.
JJ
post #7 of 8 Old 02-21-2013, 10:16 AM

Sorry, If you want the bulb PM me your address.

The only other easy thing I saw was an indicator that it the door wasn't fully opened the lamp won't light.

Good luck.
post #8 of 8 Old 02-22-2013, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQBILL View Post

The only other easy thing I saw was an indicator that it the door wasn't fully opened the lamp won't light.
Interesting...
I wonder if a sensor could be malfunctioning.
The cover seems to slide as far as normal.
I'll hold off on the lamp.
I think I'm going to get a z60, from a friend (really good deal, clean, and extra lamp).
I could continue trying to get the z4 working.
Then I'd have two projectors.
Hehehe...
JJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Sanyo Plv Z4

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page