Setup advice needed - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 02-21-2013, 06:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just purchased a refurb Epson 8350 and will be a first time projector owner. It will be going into an empty 12x16 (8' ceilings) room that will be used solely for HDTV and moving watching. I plan to place the PJ at the end of the room, on a shelf, with the fixed screen 16 feet away on the completely empty 12x8 wall. Seating will probably be in the center of the room, 9 feet or so from the screen. There is a sliding glass door on one of the side walls that we're planning on putting some sort of light block on. That is the only source of ambient light. The ceiling and walls are all white (textured) but painting is no problem.

So for the advice:

1. How big of a fixed screen should I use? The whole wall is available but I do need room for some speakers.

2. What type of screen? Brand?

3. What color is best to paint the walls and ceiling? Darker the better?

4. Any suggestions for blacking out the sliding glass doors? Film?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 02-21-2013, 03:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked: 488
110" screen is about 8' wide giving you 2' on each side for speakers. With small satilite speakers you might get upto 120". Bigger than that you will need acoustic screen and put the speakers behind it. Jamestown makes a great screen for the money (cinewhite 1.3) but be prepared for a 3 month wait. Elite EZ frame are a little more money but still reasonable. Painting a white room is the least expensive job for the greatest improvement in proformance. Any dark flat color is good and especialy the ceiling a dark gray or flat black. Any heavy lined drapes will block the sliding glass door. There are roll down blackout window quilts that I have used and work great for insulation in winters.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page