Need help choosing. TOO MANY CHOICES!! Please help! - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 02-26-2013, 10:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It's never a bad thing to have too many choices but it does sometimes make things difficult. Below are the bullet points for my situation.

Room size: 16'x18' opens to a good amount of ambient light but the blinds are pretty decent at keeping it out (and I don't plan on much daytime viewing). Ceiling mount is not plausible as ceilings are 18' vaulted. Throw will likely be ~17' shelf mounted or ~11' coffee table. Viewing distance will be ~16'-17'.

The primary purpose of the pj will be movie watching (Netflix, streaming from my 'puter and Bluray). 3d would be cool but i'm not willing to spend extra $$ for it. I like to game sometimes--primarily FPS.

I have a big wall and would like to make as much use of it as possible (147" diagonal is about the biggest feasible for the space) but would also like a pj that could accommodate a smaller space if I ever move. I'm pretty sure I'd be happy with ~128".

These are the pjs I've been looking at the most (in no particular order):

Epson 8350
Epson 3010
Acer H6500
Acer H9500BD
ViewSonic PRO8200
BenQ W1070

Clearly I'm not sold on DLP or LCD and I've seen all of these at around the same $$. BTW I am definitely not a videophile but I do like a nice sharp picture w/ good color. This will be my first pj.

Am I on the right path? Given my situation, which would you choose and why?

Thanks in advance for your help!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-27-2013, 12:23 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2403 Post(s)
Liked: 1302
Benq w1070 is the best one out of those for features/price/sharpness/color, and it comes with 3D for no extra money other than a single pair of 3D glasses (which isn't much). It is actually the best deal going right now. It has one of, if not the most accurate out-of-the-box color there is. The other projectors aren't bad on color OOTB, but the Benq is said to be even better. If you are new and not calibrating the projector with equipment, the w1070 would definitely be my choice.

You will have to mount it closer, but you said you can do 11' on a coffee table.
If the lens is 11 feet back from the screen, the minimum screen size (because Benq is shorter throw than most), is going to be about 132" to 135" at that throw distance. So you would have to buy at least a 132"+ screen. However, if it fits, the Benq would be my choice out of those you listed.

**Updated Projector Calculator Released NOV 2017**
-- www.webprojectorcalculator.com --
post #3 of 5 Old 02-27-2013, 11:20 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply coderguy.

If the coffee table set up doesn't work (g/f might veto that plan) what would be the best one to do a rear shelf mount with?

I'm leaning toward the Acer H9500BD b/c it's on Newegg right now for 1k...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 02-28-2013, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

You will have to mount it closer, but you said you can do 11' on a coffee table.
If the lens is 11 feet back from the screen, the minimum screen size (because Benq is shorter throw than most), is going to be about 132" to 135" at that throw distance. So you would have to buy at least a 132"+ screen. However, if it fits, the Benq would be my choice out of those you listed.

What about using the zoom for a smaller screen ? I was planning to mount the w1070 at 12.3' with a zoom factor of 1.22 (120" screen).

Should I mount it closer to the screen to avoid zooming ?
post #5 of 5 Old 08-27-2013, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter

Update:

Ended up going w/ the BenQ W1070 and couldn't be happier. Colors are awesome, it's bright as all get out AND it's got 3d (which would be even cooler if the damned 3d blurays didn't cost $35 a piece--sheesh!). I'm running the hell outta the thing and will probably need a new lamp before I hit the one year mark, but hey... Isn't that a good sign?!

Got it front mounted on a coffee table's hidden shelf about 1' off of the ground. With the vertical shift it sits perfectly and fills my wall nicely (even have a little extra zoom left). Anyway, to all those considering a budget projector... I'm really glad I went in this direction.

A couple of sour notes:

1. The noise gets irritating when it's not getting the air circulation it wants (or if it's a super quiet scene and I'm sitting on that end of the couch). Not a deal breaker by any means as I never threw out my Xbox 360 for such a flaw--and it's MUCH louder.

2. I do see a fair amount of motion blur in shots that are moving fast. From what I understand this is a common drawback to budget projectors--few of whom offer creative frame interpolation (CFI) to smooth out the motion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 8350 , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 3010 2d And 3d Projector V11h421020 , Acer H6500 1080p Widescreen Dlp Projector , Acer H9500bd 3d 1080p Home Theater Projector , Viewsonic Pro8200 Dlp Projector , Benq W1070 3d Ready Dlp Projector 1080p Hdtv

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page