Official Epson Problem Thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 64 Old 03-09-2013, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 17
From what has been posted the exchange units are just repaired and not super cleaned nor tuned.

You would expect that the repaired units to undergo a very extensive check over and fine tuning, it does not sound like this is done at all.

Sad that is.

Rich

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 64 Old 03-09-2013, 11:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by racprops View Post

From what has been posted the exchange units are just repaired and not super cleaned nor tuned.

You would expect that the repaired units to undergo a very extensive check over and fine tuning, it does not sound like this is done at all.

Sad that is.

Rich

You'd THINK that they would do that.

I bought a Refurbished 8700UB last year despite all the horror stories. Fully prepared to swap it until I'd get a "good" one.
When it arrived and I tested it, I was actually amazed that I got an as close to perfect for LCD unit as you could ask for. Did NOT expect that!

So far it's been running fine without a glitch. With any luck it'll last long enough for me to upgrade to a good LED projector once that technology matures a bit. So far I'm very happy with the Epson, but posted this here just to say that not ALL the refurbs are crap. It really is a luck of the draw. Don't give up, not many vendors give a 2 year warranty like Epson. That's the sole reason I even went with them.

Welcome to the darkside.....
post #33 of 64 Old 03-09-2013, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman View Post

I bought a Refurbished 8700UB last year despite all the horror stories. Fully prepared to swap it until I'd get a "good" one.
When it arrived and I tested it, I was actually amazed that I got an as close to perfect for LCD unit as you could ask for. Did NOT expect that!

So far it's been running fine without a glitch. With any luck it'll last long enough for me to upgrade to a good LED projector once that technology matures a bit. So far I'm very happy with the Epson, but posted this here just to say that not ALL the refurbs are crap. It really is a luck of the draw. Don't give up, not many vendors give a 2 year warranty like Epson. That's the sole reason I even went with them.

Rich

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 64 Old 03-10-2013, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter

I am beginning to see a red blotch dead center in blank scenes...

Is this the beginning of a problem with Epson like the green spots??

Rich

post #35 of 64 Old 03-10-2013, 12:58 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman View Post

Epsons warranty is only mirrored by their awful qc. Other manufacturers probably don't need to offer an extended warranty. Make of that what you will.
post #36 of 64 Old 03-10-2013, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter

That is one way to look at it.

Rich

post #37 of 64 Old 03-12-2013, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter

Well tech support said I should replace this unit due to the red spot.

Rich

post #38 of 64 Old 03-12-2013, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone wanting a sale on a 3020 the Best Buy in north phoenix has a open box unit for $1395.00

Rich

post #39 of 64 Old 03-22-2013, 09:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwv651 View Post

I turn on my 6010 last week and got a error message called Cinema Filter Error. Please Contact Epson Support. I had to unplug the unit to get it working again. I just reached 400 hrs and I dread sending my projector to Epson being everything else works perfect and convergence is very good .

Well I received my replacement 6010 and there is several dust blobs and the convergence is horrible. I ended up with a second level tech and he was rude. Anyways they are sending out a third unit and I pray it is better than the last replacement.
3rd replacement and convergence is way off...don't know what to do anymore...guess I will live with it and move on. Sad that they keep sending us somebody elses lemons.

Joe V.
post #40 of 64 Old 03-22-2013, 02:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:

3rd replacement and convergence is way off...don't know what to do anymore...guess I will live with it and move on. Sad that they keep sending us somebody elses lemons.

I'd explain the problem, your on your third pj now, and tell them you want the next one inspected before it's returned. I understand some people have gotten written confirmation of the inspection and subsequently received good units. Be the squeaky wheel. If it's still off by more than 1/2 pixel, I'd push 'em to make it right. Maybe at some point they will address the QC issues.
post #41 of 64 Old 03-22-2013, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter

I second that: IN FACT:

CALL this number:562-981-3840 that should be customer relations and they are the level ABOVE third level.

Talk to them nice and they should help you.

Rich

post #42 of 64 Old 03-22-2013, 06:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

6010 owners have a direct line....1-800 xxx xxxx it might be the same people as the number quoted above. I'm going to demand a new one, not another refurb...maybe try for the new 6020 if possible even if it cost a few hundred extra bucks, what do I have to lose. I will get back here as soon as I can with a update on how things go, I won"t be back here for a few weeks since I have family coming in from Chicago and they want to use the theater during their stay. Wish me luck!

Joe V.
post #43 of 64 Old 03-23-2013, 12:13 AM - Thread Starter

So do 3020 owners...

But I have bypassed them once in a while...with this number...

Rich

post #44 of 64 Old 03-26-2013, 07:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

So did you get them to replace your old unit with a good one??

Rich

post #45 of 64 Old 03-26-2013, 09:49 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Adding my experience:

Projector #1: All was good until I tried my first 3D movie at 31 hours. Discovered the built-in infrared emitter that syncs with the glasses wasn't working. Called support and they shipped a refurb replacement.

Projector #2: Infrared emitter problem was gone but ten minutes into testing the projector made a squealing noise and then threw an error that there is a problem with the Epson Cinema Filter and to contact the service center. I could clear the message and any time I changed the source the same sound and error would pop back up. Called support and they are sending another refurb replacement.

Projector #3: En route. Fingers crossed for a good one.
post #46 of 64 Old 04-02-2013, 12:36 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Second refurb update.

So I received my second refurb to replace my original unit with the broken 3D emitters. Knock on wood but this one is looking good. 3D works fine and after about six hours of viewing nothing unusual has cropped up.

One thing that is notable is that the out-of-box convergence seems very good. Going into the panel alignment screen I couldn't see any variance in the different colors until I got right up on the screen. With the first and second units it was very clear there was an alignment problem from five or six feet away. I only had to dial in eight steps of correction to bring the lines into alignment and that was only so I could stick to the multiples of eight to avoid pixel splitting. It actually would have taken less.

This unit also came with the latest firmware (1.08) so that is good. I didn't spend enough time with the original refurb replacement to check the version on it since it popped the cinema filter error so fast. My original unit with the 3D emitter problem was only on 1.04.

Does anyone have any insight into the Epson serialization scheme for serial numbers? My original two units were QL6F1ZxxxxL whereas the latest unit is QL6F22xxxxL (xxxx being digits that I assume increment sequentially). The first two were only different by about 300 so I assume were manufactured fairly close together.
post #47 of 64 Old 05-18-2013, 10:44 AM

Quote:

I am beginning to see a red blotch dead center in blank scenes...

Is this the beginning of a problem with Epson like the green spots??

Rich

test the unit as a standalone - try the pattern test - if it has the same issue - it means that there is a problem with one of the 3LCD of the projector - thats the time you call Epson support eek.gif
post #48 of 64 Old 05-19-2013, 12:28 PM

Liked: 12
Well I bought a brand new 8700 2 years and 2 weeks ago. After 6 hours of use, my first bulb exploded. Since then, I've had 6 replacement ts. Each time I was told that it was a problem with the bulb and not the projector. I was also told that they extended the warranty on the bulb to a year. I oreferred to keep replacing the bulbs rather than get a refurbished projector after hearing how horrible the refurbished models were on this forum, so I just dealt with the inconvenience of not having a pj each time my bulb ran out. My latest bulb crapped out 2 weeks after my warranty expired. This time there was no talk of the problem being the bulb. They basically told me I was S.O.L.!!! I had to beg and plead just to get them to send me a one time replacement with a 30 day warranty. My experiencewith Epson has been horrible so I won't be switching to a 5020 like I was planning. I will give Panasonic a try. I previously had a Sanyo Z4. They weren't known for there CS but not having to deal with CS is the best thing you could hope for. I had that PJ for 6 years and never had a problem. I hope I can have that experience again. As for my Epson 8700 (piece of junk), I'll keep swapping it out until I get one that is at least usable. Then I'll use it as a backup.
post #49 of 64 Old 05-19-2013, 12:52 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked: 1271
Panasonic isn't known for the best CS either.

You probably already did this, but did you make sure the electricity to the projector is clean. I might also add a voltage regulated pure-sine UPS like a CyberPower, couldn't hurt.
My guess with that many failed bulbs, is that there was bad or inconsistent voltage being sent to the lamp, either from bad electrical or bad internal part in the projector.

Could also be a problem with one of the internal cooling fans or similar.

**Updated Projector Calculator Released NOV 2017**
-- www.webprojectorcalculator.com --
post #50 of 64 Old 05-19-2013, 01:07 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked: 1271
@John Memo
I see you posted another thread about lens shift (np). I didn't want to respond in your new fresh thread, since I'll let others weigh in. I'll respond here instead..

I just thought of another projector that fits you, the Mitsubishi hc5, it has the most Vertical Lens Shift of any of the non-LCD projectors, close to the Epson.
A very very nice projector. It isn't as good in 3D as the Sony, but probably close to the Panny (never seen the Mits in 3D). Still, it's what I would pick over the Panny.

The only two other major 3D line HT projectors with large amounts of lens shift are the Panny and Epson. Why?

Well we have the Sony hw50es (limited), JVC series (RS46/48/56/66) which is less limited than the Sony but probably still not enough shift for you.
Besides the Sony and JVC's, most of the others are DLP which have very very little horizontal lens shift.

The Mitsubishi hc5 has a huge amount of lens shift, like the Epson, good luck!

**Updated Projector Calculator Released NOV 2017**
-- www.webprojectorcalculator.com --
post #51 of 64 Old 05-19-2013, 01:17 PM

Thanks Coderguy!

I will definitely check out the Mitsu! I always wondered why the DLP PJs didn't have decent lens shift. I'm def going to give that one a look.
post #52 of 64 Old 05-19-2013, 01:36 PM

HMM. The HC5 looks pretty awesome! I'm wondering why I can find so little material about it? No reviews, or info except from this site and mitsubishi itself.

I have to think this projector is priced extremely low! It has a motorized lens shift and power focus?!?!? That's crazy! Can you tell me how the 3d Performance compares to the Panny and the Epson 5020?
post #53 of 64 Old 05-20-2013, 07:24 AM

Quote:

Oh oh....I questioned the use of refurbished units..

Keep us informed.

Rich

when you call them up, ask them to Check the Refurb unit 1st before sending it. coz sometimes refub units are no good, but when you're lucky, u'll get a good one. btw, whats the name of that higher Level of Tech? gonna give them a call. eek.gif
post #54 of 64 Old 05-22-2013, 02:42 PM

OK. I got my first refurbished replacement. After powering it up, within 10 seconds you can clearly see a green band on the left side of the screen! Are they kidding me? Do they do anything to fix these pjs or do they just pack up the broken ones and just send them out?

I'm calling now. Lets see what games are played.
post #55 of 64 Old 05-25-2013, 05:27 AM

Update, I got the second unit yesterday. I think I found some faults with the second replacement. At first it seemed totally fine. Now I notice when the screen turns black there are a few splotches that look green on the screen. The screen has to be almost completely black to notice it but sure enough, there's some green marks there. It almost looks as if the inner lens has finger prints or is smudged somehow. I'm also noticing that the fan noise sounds slightly different. It is slightly louder than on my older unit. Maybe that's why my bulbs kept burning out after a couple hundred hours. Lol! Anyway, can anyone help with this? Should I return this unit? I can live with the green splotches and the slightly higher fan. I'm just worried that this problem is going to get worse and this PJ is going to turn out to be useless. Thanks!
post #56 of 64 Old 05-25-2013, 09:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Doesn't sound normal and I would be concerned, but it's your pj, and you have to decide how you want to proceed. I'd send some images of 'em to Epson, ask them about the issue. If they recommend a replacement, ask that the replacement be inspected by a tech, prior to shipment.
post #57 of 64 Old 05-25-2013, 10:52 PM

Thanks. I'll call Epson. I know some people are getting 6 or more units shipped to them before getting a good one. IDK why they don't just do a better job of checking these PJs. In both my replacements I could tell within a few min that something was wrong.
post #58 of 64 Old 05-25-2013, 10:52 PM

Thanks. I'll call Epson. I know some people are getting 6 or more units shipped to them before getting a good one. IDK why they don't just do a better job of checking these PJs. In both my replacements I could tell within a few min that something was wrong.
post #59 of 64 Old 07-17-2013, 07:07 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Good grief. Just started getting a big green spot on mine.
post #60 of 64 Old 09-27-2013, 08:16 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Well I got too lazy to call Epson, the green spots went away on their own! WTF? Is it dust inside the projector or something that cleared out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Epson , Epson 5010 E Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector With Wirelesshd , Epson 5010 Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page