LG PA75U -Anybody else own one of LG's Abandoned Children? - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 11Likes

post #31 of 480 Old 04-25-2013, 02:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgronseth View Post

I'll see what I can do and try to test it out tonight.

So I have never done any 3D files before or know how they work so forgive my ignorance...when I play one of these 3D SBS files off a USB drive and hit the 3D button on the projector, if it works it should look like one single image vs the 2 side by side images? If it works and is one single image, how will it look since I don't have 3D glasses? I'm just trying to know what to expect so I can give the proper feedback on if it worked properly.

If the projector joins the two images is very possible that works.Pity you don't have 3D glasses to ensure if it works correctly.Even so, test and tell us the result smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 480 Old 04-25-2013, 03:14 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by espetodesardina View Post

If the projector joins the two images is very possible that works.Pity you don't have 3D glasses to ensure if it works correctly.Even so, test and tell us the result smile.gif

I will try to test it out tonight and I will also try to hook my PS3 directly up to the PA75U and do the auto display setup and see if it recognizes the projector and tries to set up 3D output. If it appears like it might work maybe I will invest in 3D glasses. I don't use a laptop or PC for any video related items since they are old so I have no need for the 3D glasses if that is the only way to get 3D.
post #33 of 480 Old 04-25-2013, 03:35 PM

Quote:

I will try to test it out tonight and I will also try to hook my PS3 directly up to the PA75U and do the auto display setup and see if it recognizes the projector and tries to set up 3D output. If it appears like it might work maybe I will invest in 3D glasses. I don't use a laptop or PC for any video related items since they are old so I have no need for the 3D glasses if that is the only way to get 3D.

Cross your fingers,according to the manual should work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 480 Old 04-25-2013, 04:50 PM

Liked: 11
I'm really curious if the ps3 recognize it as 3d

Update:
The ps3 does recognize it as a 3d projector but I don't have the glasses to test it out yet.
post #35 of 480 Old 04-25-2013, 07:16 PM

Well, I think we have success! (Sorry for the poor image quality - iPhone pictures and 40 watt bulb on in back of room)

Part 1 - Downloaded 2 3D SBS videos from You Tube and put them on a flash drive. Played no problem and when I switched 3D on and went to the side by side option, the 2 images merged and were one image and it was somewhat blurry like I think 3D would look like without glasses. (since I don't have 3D glasses). This was the same for both videos.

When I hit the 3D button on the remote:

When I chose the side by side option:

Part 2 - Connect PS3 directly to projector (bypassing my receiver). Went to display settings and chose auto detect....3D automatically came up as an option! And then it asked for my screen size. (which is 100 inches) It kept the settings and I put Uncharted 3 in and it started up blurry like 3D would. The 3D mode was set to 2D-> 3D for Uncharted.

PS3 detecting 3D support (really bad quality on this one):

Final PS3 settings:

Am I missing anything? It seems like this all works, correct?

So I think I will buy a pair of 3D DLP link glasses from Amazon to see how it all looks with glasses. Would the "SainSonic SSZ-200DLW 3D Active Rechargeable Shutter Glasses for DLP-Link Projector-White" work? With Amazon prime I could get them Saturday. Not sure if I am allowed to post direct links to Amazon or not.
post #36 of 480 Old 04-26-2013, 01:39 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
If this does work with hooking the PS3 dirrectly to the LGPA75U or any blueray player then this would justify the $ 200 or more cost over the PA70G.
Other than using the LGPA70G directly from a PC the LGPA70G would need a exteral device to play 3D.
Sorry LGPA70G, there's a new projector in town that just took your place.
Other than FRYS selling the PG70G cheap at $ 399 or 499 I have seen the adverage price for the PA70G for around $ 600 or so.
post #37 of 480 Old 04-26-2013, 04:02 AM

Quote:

Well, I think we have success! (Sorry for the poor image quality - iPhone pictures and 40 watt bulb on in back of room)

Part 1 - Downloaded 2 3D SBS videos from You Tube and put them on a flash drive. Played no problem and when I switched 3D on and went to the side by side option, the 2 images merged and were one image and it was somewhat blurry like I think 3D would look like without glasses. (since I don't have 3D glasses). This was the same for both videos.

When I hit the 3D button on the remote:

When I chose the side by side option:

Part 2 - Connect PS3 directly to projector (bypassing my receiver). Went to display settings and chose auto detect....3D automatically came up as an option! And then it asked for my screen size. (which is 100 inches) It kept the settings and I put Uncharted 3 in and it started up blurry like 3D would. The 3D mode was set to 2D-> 3D for Uncharted.

PS3 detecting 3D support (really bad quality on this one):

Final PS3 settings:

Am I missing anything? It seems like this all works, correct?

So I think I will buy a pair of 3D DLP link glasses from Amazon to see how it all looks with glasses. Would the "SainSonic SSZ-200DLW 3D Active Rechargeable Shutter Glasses for DLP-Link Projector-White" work? With Amazon prime I could get them Saturday. Not sure if I am allowed to post direct links to Amazon or not.

Many thanks kgronseth,good news.I think it is the first projector with 3D through the USB port. I cannot understand how being a projector with 3D Native,LG has not specified and the shops that sell either. To see if they launch this or another new model with 3D native in Europe.

Any glasses DLP-LINK 120Hz should operate. When you purchase says the result,thanks again!
post #38 of 480 Old 04-26-2013, 08:00 AM

Quote:

Many thanks kgronseth,good news.I think it is the first projector with 3D through the USB port. I cannot understand how being a projector with 3D Native,LG has not specified and the shops that sell either. To see if they launch this or another new model with 3D native in Europe.

Any glasses DLP-LINK 120Hz should operate. When you purchase says the result,thanks again!

Does anyone know if there are brick and mortar stores that might sell dlp link glasses? If not, I will go ahead and order some glasses online and let you know how it works.

It seems like my tests were all good signs, is there any reason to think that even though it appears like it should work once I get my glasses that it might not? For example, it recognizes the 3D content but doesn't process it properly? Are there any projectors that recognize 3D content but it doesn't actually work? Just trying to gauge the odds of this being successful once I get the glasses.
post #39 of 480 Old 04-26-2013, 09:02 AM

Quote:

Does anyone know if there are brick and mortar stores that might sell dlp link glasses? If not, I will go ahead and order some glasses online and let you know how it works.

It seems like my tests were all good signs, is there any reason to think that even though it appears like it should work once I get my glasses that it might not? For example, it recognizes the 3D content but doesn't process it properly? Are there any projectors that recognize 3D content but it doesn't actually work? Just trying to gauge the odds of this being successful once I get the glasses.

Both what is written in the manual as your tests suggest that there should be no problem.
You can buy the 3D glasses without fear that we would not work, but make sure that glasses are DLP-LINK 120Hz.
post #40 of 480 Old 04-26-2013, 09:19 AM

Quote:

Both what is written in the manual as your tests suggest that there should be no problem.
You can buy the 3D glasses without fear that we would not work, but make sure that glasses are DLP-LINK 120Hz.

I went ahead and ordered the glasses from Amazon that I referenced in an earlier post. I will give an update on how things are once I get them. I did Saturday prime delivery for $8.99 extra so I will get them tomorrow and have the weekend to check them out.

If this works this will be a pleasant surprise that I wasn't expecting when I bought it. I was thinking the PA75U was just the PA70G with a few additional features, but wasn't expecting some HDMI 1.4 functions to be one of them.
post #41 of 480 Old 04-26-2013, 09:33 AM

Quote:

I went ahead and ordered the glasses from Amazon that I referenced in an earlier post. I will give an update on how things are once I get them. I did Saturday prime delivery for $8.99 extra so I will get them tomorrow and have the weekend to check them out.

If this works this will be a pleasant surprise that I wasn't expecting when I bought it. I was thinking the PA75U was just the PA70G with a few additional features, but wasn't expecting some HDMI 1.4 functions to be one of them.

I cannot understand how is not being advertised by LG for this feature of the 3D Native ... in the stores appears as 3D Ready,why?
post #42 of 480 Old 04-26-2013, 09:46 AM

Quote:

I cannot understand how is not being advertised by LG for this feature of the 3D Native ... in the stores appears as 3D Ready,why?

And they don't even list it on their website under current projectors. Except for the manual which can be found under the support section of their website there is no reference to it. Strange.
post #43 of 480 Old 04-26-2013, 10:03 AM

Quote:

And they don't even list it on their website under current projectors. Except for the manual which can be found under the support section of their website there is no reference to it. Strange.

Is a joke to find out in a forum that is 3D Native and the manufacturer does not specify it on the web even,LG awake! mad.gif
post #44 of 480 Old 04-26-2013, 12:35 PM

Quote:

Which pair of glasses did you ordered? Truedepth sounds pretty decent.
post #45 of 480 Old 04-26-2013, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeaninc View Post

Which pair of glasses did you ordered? Truedepth sounds pretty decent.

I ordered 1 of these for now from Amazon for $30 to try and see if the 3D works properly from the PS3 and USB flash drive:
"SainSonic SSZ-200DLW 3D Active Rechargeable Shutter Glasses for DLP-Link Projector-White"

Seems like decent enough reviews. If everything works out I will evaluate if some different glasses are worth getting.
post #46 of 480 Old 04-27-2013, 03:01 PM

Quote:

I ordered 1 of these for now from Amazon for $30 to try and see if the 3D works properly from the PS3 and USB flash drive:
"SainSonic SSZ-200DLW 3D Active Rechargeable Shutter Glasses for DLP-Link Projector-White"

Seems like decent enough reviews. If everything works out I will evaluate if some different glasses are worth getting.

Those glasses works but seem to have a little bit of ghosting while I was watching Jurassic park
post #47 of 480 Old 04-27-2013, 07:19 PM

Quote:

Those glasses works but seem to have a little bit of ghosting while I was watching Jurassic park

Yes, the glasses do work and the 3D works both with the flash drive and the PS3. I didn't notice any ghosting though with mine and the image wasn't too dark at all to watch. I was watching in total darkness. I watched the 2 YouTube videos on the flash drive and also played a little Super Stardust HD in 3D and Uncharted 3 in 3D on the PS3. Both looked good and easily playable. With the flash drive videos it allowed me to pick which type of 3D conversion and with the PS3 the PA75U automatically detected a 3D video source and switched on 3D. This is my only experience with 3D so I very well may be missing some details on quality, etc., but it seems to work great.

Let me know if there are any questions and I will try to answer the best I can.

Within a couple of minutes of watching one YouTube video my wife said that we need to buy another pair of the glasses. She thought it was fantastic. She also thought Super Stardust in 3D was great

I might now have to buy a receiver the allows 3D pass through.
post #48 of 480 Old 04-28-2013, 12:11 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:

Yes, the glasses do work and the 3D works both with the flash drive and the PS3. I didn't notice any ghosting though with mine and the image wasn't too dark at all to watch. I was watching in total darkness. I watched the 2 YouTube videos on the flash drive and also played a little Super Stardust HD in 3D and Uncharted 3 in 3D on the PS3. Both looked good and easily playable. With the flash drive videos it allowed me to pick which type of 3D conversion and with the PS3 the PA75U automatically detected a 3D video source and switched on 3D. This is my only experience with 3D so I very well may be missing some details on quality, etc., but it seems to work great.

Within a couple of minutes of watching one YouTube video my wife said that we need to buy another pair of the glasses. She thought it was fantastic. She also thought Super Stardust in 3D was great

wow, that's good news that it works with a PS3, Im sure lots of people will this projector a second look, including me...I do have a couple of questions, first..did you notice any issues with the focus uniformity? how big image are you projecting?
post #49 of 480 Old 04-28-2013, 02:24 AM

Quote:

I am glad that you work well the 3D glasses kgronseth smile.gif By now we know nothing about this projector in Europe mad.gif
post #50 of 480 Old 04-28-2013, 03:57 AM

I figured out the problem with my ghosting, it was just low on battery on the glasses. Looks way better when it was fully charged.
post #51 of 480 Old 04-28-2013, 07:28 AM

Quote:

I figured out the problem with my ghosting, it was just low on battery on the glasses. Looks way better when it was fully charged.

Glad to hear you got it working better. I'll have to keep that in mind if I experience the ghosting.
post #52 of 480 Old 04-28-2013, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garibay_2004 View Post

wow, that's good news that it works with a PS3, Im sure lots of people will this projector a second look, including me...I do have a couple of questions, first..did you notice any issues with the focus uniformity? how big image are you projecting?

I experienced the same corner focus issues that the PA70G suffered from. I did two exchanges at Best Buy and the third unit I got is great and had good focus uniformity throughout. Both of the first two units had the same issue and thanks to the PA70G thread here I knew what to look for. This third unit doesn't have any focus issues that I have found yet. I am using Favi 100 inch fixed frame screen.
post #53 of 480 Old 04-28-2013, 08:34 AM

Quote:

I experienced the same corner focus issues that the PA70G suffered from. I did two exchanges at Best Buy and the third unit I got is great and had good focus uniformity throughout. Both of the first two units had the same issue and thanks to the PA70G thread here I knew what to look for. This third unit doesn't have any focus issues that I have found yet. I am using Favi 100 inch fixed frame screen.

Thank you for you help and I thought of another question....when you press the info button of the remote while playing 3D from PS3, what does it say as far as the signal? 120Hz? 1280x800? 1920x1080? or 1024x768? according to the comments on the PA70, it could only do 3D from PC @ 1024x768, thanks again:D
post #54 of 480 Old 04-28-2013, 08:58 AM

Quote:

Thank you for you help and I thought of another question....when you press the info button of the remote while playing 3D from PS3, what does it say as far as the signal? 120Hz? 1280x800? 1920x1080? or 1024x768? according to the comments on the PA70, it could only do 3D from PC @ 1024x768, thanks again:D

We will wait to respond kgronseth, but as said the manual would be depending on you choose in the video source like a bluray player or PS3.

I would bet that the native resolution in 3D is 1280x800
post #55 of 480 Old 04-28-2013, 11:01 AM

Quote:

I don't have any 3D movies yet, just games. All of the games I tried said 720p @ 60Hz when in 3D mode. I tried Super Stardust, MLB 13 The Show and Gran Turismo 5.

Movies may show 1080p...maybe jeaninc can chime in since I think he said he was watching Jurassic Park in 3D via PS3.
post #56 of 480 Old 04-28-2013, 04:20 PM

I was out today and bought Finding Nemo in 3D. It played fine on the PS3, 3D looked great and the display info on the PA75U showed it was being played at 1080p @ 24Hz.
post #57 of 480 Old 04-28-2013, 05:34 PM

kgronseth, do you know what is the use of the bluetooth or even know how to access it?
post #58 of 480 Old 04-28-2013, 05:35 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:

newegg has this projector for $630 shipped this week, sale ends 4/25:D

I got one from them at the sale price. I've spent the last two days getting familiar with it's capabilities, and it sure does pile on the features. I have an Acer K330 that I've owned for a year and a half as well, one of the 500 lumen LED clones, and this new LG is considerably better in picture quality and brightness, and blows the K330 out of the water with added features. I have not encountered any focus issues as another poster has mentioned, and have been suitably impressed with what the pa75u is capable of.

This is a picture I took with my iphone of a 100 inch image projected onto an off white wall in a darkened room. It's from a you tube video accessed totally through the projector, no computer was attached.

Not too shabby...and a blu ray looks even better.

Main system: Thiel 3.6 L/R speakers, Pair of Velodyne F1500r subs, B&W HTM center, Emotiva and Polk RTi 28 surrounds, Integra DHC 9.9 pre/proc, Pair of Emotiva XPA-1's, Emotiva XPA-5, Threshold SA/4e, pair of Threshold S/200's, Oracle Delphi TT w Magnepan Unitrac 1 arm and Shure V15 - Vmr, Logitech Squeezebox Touch, Oppo BDP 83 optical disc player, Threshold T2 preamp, Denon DR-M44HX cassette, Pioneer CLD-97 Laserdisc. LG PF1500 led projector,Elite 100"tab tension-ed motorized screen.
post #59 of 480 Old 04-29-2013, 01:09 AM

Quote:

I was out today and bought Finding Nemo in 3D. It played fine on the PS3, 3D looked great and the display info on the PA75U showed it was being played at 1080p @ 24Hz.

thank you so much, glad you could help us all out and enjoy your new toy
post #60 of 480 Old 04-29-2013, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strindl View Post

I got one from them at the sale price. I've spent the last two days getting familiar with it's capabilities, and it sure does pile on the features. I have an Acer K330 that I've owned for a year and a half as well, one of the 500 lumen LED clones, and this new LG is considerably better in picture quality and brightness, and blows the K330 out of the water with added features. I have not encountered any focus issues as another poster has mentioned, and have been suitably impressed with what the pa75u is capable of.

This is a picture I took with my iphone of a 100 inch image projected onto an off white wall in a darkened room. It's from a you tube video accessed totally through the projector, no computer was attached.

Not too shabby...and a blu ray looks even better.
I'm glad to have helped, Im definitely thinking of getting one after being disappointed by the PA70, currently using my HW350T hooked up to my blu ray player and basic cable, netflix rocks and even SD channels look awesome, so Im not in a big hurry to upgrade but the 3D with bluray is tempting....I hope you can share with us your 3D experience with it, specifically bluray 3D and not computer, thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Lg Pa75u Dlp Home Theater Projector

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page