Bare Bulb replacemnet for Benq W1070 - Page 5 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 30Likes

post #121 of 327 Old 09-24-2015, 08:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 505 Post(s)
Liked: 406
Bare Bulb replacemnet for Benq W1070

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayson73 View Post
Why are people buying from China for $70 when they can get from Amazon fullfillment for $72? This is the cheapest I've found so far from U.S. shipper.

http://www.amazon.com/SIMPLLAMP-Manu.../dp/B00M0ETHG2

Because that Amazon listing is quite recent.

Agreed, though.

BenQ HT2050A Projector; Kodi (on Ubuntu, OpenELEC & S802) via Sony STR-DH540 AVR with Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS SE 5.1 Audio + Jamo 210 Sub. Emby for Mobile Streaming.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 327 Old 09-26-2015, 08:26 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Why are people buying from China for $70 when they can get from Amazon fullfillment for $72? This is the cheapest I've found so far from U.S. shipper.

http://www.amazon.com/SIMPLLAMP-Manu.../dp/B00M0ETHG2
Have you used this bulb yourself?
post #123 of 327 Old 09-27-2015, 10:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Here's a short video tutorial for replacing the bulb (or housing).

https ://you tu.be/v5Q8Dq-HRnk

I ordered a bare bulb from

I received it in a week (I live in Australia) and took about an hour to replace it. So far it seems to be working the same as the original bulb.

The whole mercury gas thing is kind of scary though... Am I mistaken or is it true that you can basically go insane if a projector bulb bursts near you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 327 Old 09-28-2015, 06:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo90017 View Post
Have you used this bulb yourself?
I was about to buy it because my projector was showing the "lamp" light in red and didn't turn on. It's working again, so maybe it was a glitch or it will die soon. When it does, I'll buy it since it has good reviews. If others find a better price, let me know.
post #125 of 327 Old 09-30-2015, 08:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I was about to buy it because my projector was showing the "lamp" light in red and didn't turn on. It's working again, so maybe it was a glitch or it will die soon. When it does, I'll buy it since it has good reviews. If others find a better price, let me know.
I just ordered it. Lamp is dying I think, even though I only have 2500 hours on eco.
post #126 of 327 Old 10-03-2015, 11:14 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Unfortunately that Amazon seller won't ship to Australia.

I found these two sellers, which one is real or fake I have no clue.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Origi...2_73_74_75,0_0

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Origi...2_73_74_75,0_0
post #127 of 327 Old 10-09-2015, 12:13 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Is anybody here (from Europe) that can share experience about bare bulbs? Where you bought and how long lasts the bulb?

Reading different forums and many posts, I'm confused where to buy. I would like to find an original bulb (Osram), but how can I be sure... So, is there anybody who bought a lamp on this or that site, and lasts for x hours.

Thanks!
post #128 of 327 Old 10-15-2015, 08:19 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
I just ordered it. Lamp is dying I think, even though I only have 2500 hours on eco.
How'd it work out? Seller has 6 left, thinking of getting one.

Thanks!
post #129 of 327 Old 10-16-2015, 12:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBaran View Post
How'd it work out? Seller has 6 left, thinking of getting one.

Thanks!
I put it on SmartEco and haven't had any lamp issues since. I'll hold the new lamp until the old one blows.
post #130 of 327 Old 10-18-2015, 02:06 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Seems legit: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-...825057615.html

Might order one tomorrow.
post #131 of 327 Old 11-22-2015, 04:52 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I'm getting ready to replace the bare bulb in my W1070.

I watched a YT video and it said all the screws on the bulb housing are "small star screws," about 6 of them.

Are they Torx screws, and does anyone know the size? I'll need to buy a driver online. Or can they can be tightened/loosened with something else?

Thanks!
post #132 of 327 Old 11-22-2015, 05:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasure View Post
I'm getting ready to replace the bare bulb in my W1070.

I watched a YT video and it said all the screws on the bulb housing are "small star screws," about 6 of them.

Are they Torx screws, and does anyone know the size? I'll need to buy a driver online. Or can they can be tightened/loosened with something else?

Thanks!

Standard star screws: much like what is common in other electronics (for example laptops, etc). The procedure is pretty simple; a YouTube guide is a good start.

Kinda like the left-most set of screw drivers here:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B008TM1910/

Interestingly, I have a few light fittings in my home that use the same screws.

Avoid touching the bulb itself with your bare hands where possible.

How any hours are on your lamp? (Using what lamp mode).

BenQ HT2050A Projector; Kodi (on Ubuntu, OpenELEC & S802) via Sony STR-DH540 AVR with Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS SE 5.1 Audio + Jamo 210 Sub. Emby for Mobile Streaming.
post #133 of 327 Old 11-22-2015, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeturez View Post
Standard star screws: much like what is common in other electronics (for example laptops, etc). The procedure is pretty simple; a YouTube guide is a good start.

Kinda like the left-most set of screw drivers here:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B008TM1910/

Interestingly, I have a few light fittings in my home that use the same screws.

Avoid touching the bulb itself with your bare hands where possible.

How any hours are on your lamp? (Using what lamp mode).
Thanks. I'm in Japan so I'm hoping I can figure out the exact thing/size and order it.

I'm at almost 8000 hours on my first bulb! I waited too long to replace it. It just started flickering and dimming yesterday. I did the first 4000 hours or so on smart eco then the last 4000 on economic.
post #134 of 327 Old 11-22-2015, 05:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks. I'm in Japan so I'm hoping I can figure out the exact thing/size and order it.

I'm at almost 8000 hours on my first bulb! I waited too long to replace it. It just started flickering and dimming yesterday. I did the first 4000 hours or so on smart eco then the last 4000 on economic.

Woah!! Nice.... If I hit that kind of lamp life the lamp might actually outlast the use of my projector itself!

A standard electronics star screwdriver set will sort you out.

Up until now: have you noticed major dimming?

Replace ASAP, though: sudden dimming is a sign of imminent failure.

post #135 of 327 Old 11-22-2015, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Woah!! Nice.... If I hit that kind of lamp life the lamp might actually outlast the use of my projector itself!

A standard electronics star screwdriver set will sort you out.

Up until now: have you noticed major dimming?

Replace ASAP, though: sudden dimming is a sign of imminent failure.
The screws are very small and it's a 6-pointed star, right? Maybe I'll just go for a cheap multi-size Torx screwdriver set.

I'm viewing from 7-ft distance, so it's really bright XD which made the gradual dimming a good thing. Just yesterday it flickered about 6 seconds then went quite a bit dimmer. It's probably still good for movies but the PC screen looks dull.

I should've shopped for what I needed beforehand. Busy day ahead and now I'm worried about the bulb exploding haha...
post #136 of 327 Old 11-22-2015, 05:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The screws are very small and it's a 6-pointed star, right? Maybe I'll just go for a cheap multi-size Torx screwdriver set.

I'm viewing from 7-ft distance, so it's really bright XD which made the gradual dimming a good thing. Just yesterday it flickered about 6 seconds then went quite a bit dimmer. It's probably still good for movies but the PC screen looks dull.

Well you certainly got your money's worth out of it! Very cool.

So you're looking more for Phillips Star rather than Torx.
Basically there's a point in the middle, rather than a flat section.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phillips_drive

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1448239794.201733.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	1073570

But yeah, very cheap; very common.
wasure likes this.

Last edited by kreeturez; 11-22-2015 at 05:51 PM.
post #137 of 327 Old 11-25-2015, 04:09 PM

Thanks guys, the bulb replacement went without a hitch.

I was used to thinking of phillips as a "plus" rather than a star so I didn't realize I had what was needed.

It was easier than I thought, so I'll be doing it again in the next 9,000 hours
dreamer likes this.
post #138 of 327 Old 11-28-2015, 09:56 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Can you post a link to the exact bulb you ordered?
post #139 of 327 Old 11-30-2015, 11:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo90017 View Post
Can you post a link to the exact bulb you ordered?
Yeah that would be great. Is the bulb different on the 1075?
post #140 of 327 Old 12-02-2015, 06:05 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingram View Post
Seems legit: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-...825057615.html

Might order one tomorrow.
How did this work out for you? Seriously considering buying the same one.
post #141 of 327 Old 12-07-2015, 05:28 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
A few days ago, my benq w1070 lamp exploded as well (running hours just under 3000 in smarteco).
Today, after leaving the housing outside for days, i dismantled the lamp from the house, cleaned it etc.
The explosion of the lamp left some markings on the glass, in front of the housing, as seen in the picture.There was also a large area of a white substance cause by the explosion there, but i got it cleaned up very easily.
If i replace a bare lamp, will these marking/scratches show up in the final image?
Is this just a plain glass, or a special one like borosilicate? It was loosely fit and held down by a metallic shield so i guess it doesn't contain any sort of optic lens. Maybe it's there only for protecting the rest of the projector, like the color wheel etc to get damaged by a possible explosion.
Budget is very very very very low, so i guess i'll go for the bare lamp. Maybe i can go to my local glass shop and have him make a replica of this glass if that is possible.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	_DSC6176.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	560.7 KB
ID:	1103802  
post #142 of 327 Old 12-28-2015, 05:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capzor View Post
Hi kreeturez,
The bulb is going strong, no sign og dimming, flicker or anything untoward
I use the projector heavily, at least 4 hours a day.
Quote:
Nice; thanks for the feedback!!

I guess I'm keeping it!

Thanks again!
Capzor: how's your fake-as-heck bulb going!?

Just to follow up: at around 4200 hours, last week I decided to give this bulb a try since the original recently started getting a bit dim (I use it almost exclusively in brightest mode - SmartEco).

So I tried my cheap-as-chips non-original bulb (similar to yours ;-). I had low expectations (because it looks pretty fake!); so in my haste I didn't screw the housing into the projector because I wanted to quickly test it out: I simply plugged it in, secured it in place, closed the lamp compartment, and fired it up. And it was dim as can be. So I figured it was the cheap-and-dirty bulb. Immediately arranged an original BenQ one. It arrived today; and I did the same thing: quickly slipped it into the projector, didn't bother with the (silver) screw on the housing: and lo and behold: same abysmal brightness. Was only then that I realized that the screw is actually necessary to align the housing properly to the internal lens. (I promise I'm not normally this stupid...)

Fastened the screw, fired it up again, and voila: full brightness.

So I went back to this non-original bulb; put it back into the housing; placed it back into the projector - and tightened the cursed screw this time - and just like that, it's as bright as the brand new original BenQ one.

Go figure.

Here's a picture of the non-original and BenQ-branded lamp projecting the test pattern onto the same wall (both in full brightness modes):

Equally bright.

I'll still be keeping the original one (and I'll use it first); but I guess it's nice to know that the non-originals deliver the goods at dirt-cheap prices. Whether I'd get the same solid number of hours from a non-original bulb is debatable, of course.
So for that reason, I'd always recommend at least sourcing the original Osram bulb (ie: don't do what I did if you can avoid it) - the original model number of the bulb is:
Osram P-VIP 240/0.8 E20.9n
Since these Osram's can still be found really cheap (as per earlier posts in this thread), it makes sense to go this route.

Old bulbs had this model number printed; the new ones have it embossed/etched instead.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_7221.JPG
Views:	1032
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	1148074  

post #143 of 327 Old 12-30-2015, 04:56 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
A few days ago, my benq w1070 lamp exploded as well (running hours just under 3000 in smarteco).
Today, after leaving the housing outside for days, i dismantled the lamp from the house, cleaned it etc.
The explosion of the lamp left some markings on the glass, in front of the housing, as seen in the picture.There was also a large area of a white substance cause by the explosion there, but i got it cleaned up very easily.
If i replace a bare lamp, will these marking/scratches show up in the final image?
Is this just a plain glass, or a special one like borosilicate? It was loosely fit and held down by a metallic shield so i guess it doesn't contain any sort of optic lens. Maybe it's there only for protecting the rest of the projector, like the color wheel etc to get damaged by a possible explosion.
Budget is very very very very low, so i guess i'll go for the bare lamp. Maybe i can go to my local glass shop and have him make a replica of this glass if that is possible.

Hello,

Iam new but i have same problem. Bulb exploded and now i dont know have to buy whole package or can i only buy bare bulb. Are these little markings on the glass doing anything with picture.

I have a W1070+! Is it as same bulb as W1070?

Please help someone!!
post #144 of 327 Old 12-30-2015, 06:31 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Yes, as far as i know the bulb is the same.
I haven't made up my decision yet. I'm waiting for more people to comment what they think about.
When i look at the glass at various angles, i see the surfaces somewhat colored. Maybe it's not just a plain glass.
post #145 of 327 Old 12-30-2015, 06:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post

When i look at the glass at various angles, i see the surfaces somewhat colored. Maybe it's not just a plain glass.

The iridescent glass on the front of a projector lamp housing is especially coated such that it functions as a UV/IR filter. You can't safely run the lamp without it, unfortunately; it'll damage the projector over time...

The scratches on it will likely appear as dim areas (and/or colored fringing) on the image.

As an aside, Philips has an interesting paper on the importance of replacing a bulb with an exact replacement model (and this gets mentioned there as well):

http://www.lighting.philips.com/pwc_...y-11032013.pdf

post #146 of 327 Old 12-31-2015, 02:57 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I am photographer and i think we cant see any defects in picture when there are minor markings on glass.
I have markings in my Nikkor lenses also but it will not be seen in pictures.

Better question is where to order replacment bare bulb!?

Can someone say where he orderd and it was original bulb and good quality?

I want to order something today. Please help me!

Thanks!
post #147 of 327 Old 01-08-2016, 06:56 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I purchased this bulb:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-...825057615.html

I got it installed almost 2 weeks ago and so far so good. I don't know if it means anything but my original bulb had the Osram logo etched into it but the bulb I received had the logo just like stamped on. I can say that the new bulb was noticeably brighter than the one it replaced. The old bulb was still working fine and perfectly watchable but had dimmed some and since I had surpassed 5,500 hours on it I didn't want to push my luck and risk it exploding. If this bulb lasts a year I will be satisfied with it for the price.
post #148 of 327 Old 01-08-2016, 08:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmcke01 View Post
I purchased this bulb:

I got it installed almost 2 weeks ago and so far so good. I don't know if it means anything but my original bulb had the Osram logo etched into it but the bulb I received had the logo just like stamped on. I can say that the new bulb was noticeably brighter than the one it replaced. The old bulb was still working fine and perfectly watchable but had dimmed some and since I had surpassed 5,500 hours on it I didn't want to push my luck and risk it exploding. If this bulb lasts a year I will be satisfied with it for the price.

Might be old stock:

Quote:
The original model number of the bulb is:
Osram P-VIP 240/0.8 E20.9n
Since these Osram's can still be found really cheap (as per earlier posts in this thread), it makes sense to go this route.

Older original bulbs had this model number printed (in black); the new ones have it embossed/etched instead.

Nothing wrong with that... They don't 'age' without use! I'm sure you'll get a solid lifespan out of it.

post #149 of 327 Old 01-08-2016, 10:26 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by chmcke01 View Post
I purchased this bulb:

i ordered the same one and received it today. the boxed bulb came inside another box with bubble wrap on all sides, imo the packaging was great. below are pics of what i received(the actual shipping box is not pictured). from what i can tell this lamp is genuine, perhaps old stock but genuine. the last aliexpress bulb i bought looks exactly like this and lasted over 5000hrs(still worked but flickered). i have not tested this yet, i will shortly but i am not worried. aliexpress actually has a very good policy regarding defective products and customer satisfaction.

i would say anyone looking for a replacement bulb for their w1070 should certainly give this a go, $42 is a steal.

EDIT: i decided to try this bulb out tonight after all. it looks as bright as i would expect from a new bulb, i had my original bulb(what came with the projector) running as a stopgap(it has about 1000hrs), this one is equally bright maybe more so. i included another pic, it is the backside of the bulb(in the housing) that came in box new with my w1070, as you can see it looks identical. i guess i got my w1070 before they started etching the osram logo in.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20160108_211107.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	257.1 KB
ID:	1173746   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160108_211151.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	231.1 KB
ID:	1173754   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160108_211207.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	410.0 KB
ID:	1173762   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160108_235800.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	270.2 KB
ID:	1173986  

Last edited by biztyke; 01-09-2016 at 02:05 AM.
post #150 of 327 Old 01-10-2016, 03:47 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ordered the same as biztyke (and chmcke01), got it a couple of days ago and it looks the same, except that mine come in just one box without any bubble wrap. Haven't tried it yet but thought i would share some more pictures for those who're curious.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_6300.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	192.8 KB
ID:	1176546   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6301.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	203.8 KB
ID:	1176554   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6305.jpg
Views:	234