BenQ W1080ST: How To Remove Dust Blobs? - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 17Likes

post #31 of 44 Old 02-22-2016, 10:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Wonder how similar this would be on a Vivitek H1186/88.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 44 Old 02-26-2016, 04:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xplic1T View Post
Wonder how similar this would be on a Vivitek H1186/88.
I am wondering the exact same thing as I have an annoying dust blob on mine.
post #33 of 44 Old 02-27-2016, 05:01 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billbofet View Post
I am wondering the exact same thing as I have an annoying dust blob on mine.
I have it in my living room which on its own is dusty ... I considered getting a filter but many people complained that they had filters and it still happened.

I think this projector is too new and hardly anybody has bothered taking these apart. I can even find suitable bulb information on em.

Have you considered calling Vivitek to file a warranty claim ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 44 Old 03-20-2016, 07:50 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Cool Absolutely worked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Gulliver View Post
Hi,

I'm posting this for anyone who happens on this thread for the same reason I did - dust blob in a Benq w1070. After getting hold of the service manual (can't post a link unfortunately) I worked out that the screw that spencerthomass is referring to is actually the one shown in my attached photo circled in green.

The photo of the projector that I used is from someone Google gallery on a breakdown of the projector. It's obvious now when I look at it as it is holding a small plate in place above where the DMD would be but I was thrown a bit because when I opened my projector the screw and plate were covered in black foam so was less obvious. I had to push the foam out of the way to get to the screw and remove the panel. After taking off the panel I did as suggested and gave a few squirts of compressed air (didn't vacuum but should have I guess) and the blob is now gone. My proj is still under warranty but I didn't want to have to send it away and wait for it to be fixed or a new one sent so was happy to find an easy solution - thanks spencerthomass!

Peter.
Gotta love it when you search the internet for solutions to problems. Thanks all!

I use a BenQ projector primarily for gaming. It's located in a dedicated room that doesn't get too dusty. I had developed dust blobs over the last year (not sure how) that were really starting to annoy me, especially during dark scenes. Came across this thread and was skeptical at first. Ending up doing the above method using an air compressor with a fine air attachment and totally got rid of the dust blobs.

Thanks for saving me time and money for servicing, not to mention being away from my projector for who knows how long.
GrandPixel likes this.
post #35 of 44 Old 07-17-2016, 04:46 PM

Liked: 0
Hi guys, i have a benq1300 with alot of dust blobs and my warranty is out so i have to clean it myself. I have bought that gelcleantool for lenses. But what exactly is is that i have to clean? Not The wheel right? I tried to Open it up but i cant figure it out how to and i cant find any information on how to on the web. Not on this specific model. Can someone point me in The right direction? Tomorrow i can attach some pictures on The projector.
post #36 of 44 Old 08-28-2016, 06:58 PM

Liked: 10
Thanks for all the advice, got mine 99% clean after a bulb change introduced a mass of dust!!
post #37 of 44 Old 12-05-2016, 10:11 PM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 34
the vivetek 1186 that I have had for almost a year has many dust blobs.not sure if I want to take it apart.on dark scenes u can see them really well other wise not so much.
post #38 of 44 Old 03-19-2018, 05:47 AM

I had a blob on my 1070 with 526hrs. Faint but annoying on dark scenes. Found the hatch and screw under some sponge as commented on above. Tried hoovering out the chamber yesterday and succeeded in getting more dust blobs...yikes. Went and got some compressed air this morning and squirted that and had my hoover attachment next to the access, about 5 bursts. Reassembled and hey presto all is good again, saved me circa £150 for a 'repair' too.
post #39 of 44 Old 03-23-2018, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivinityCycle View Post
Yup! The long story short is "you can't".
That's not true you can, I did with compressed air and a vacuum.
post #40 of 44 Old 08-03-2018, 04:15 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Unlucky-man tutorial

So yes... sure... vacuum and blow air... sure... as if!!!
Joking of course :P It's just that I wasn't that lucky and I worked on this for hours instead of minutes, so if anyone has the same problems I had, I figured I'd make my own tutorial for the unlucky ones

If you see dust blobs on the screen, this is unlikely to be about the lenses, it will more likely be related with the "DMD" module.
The only way to access that is as follows:
1) Unscrew 5 "+" shaped screws from the bottom
2) Unscrew 1 "-" shaped screw from the left side (watching the projector with the lamp facing you)
3) Remove plastic bit that covers about 1/4 of the top: it is now possible after you removed the screw in 2)
4) Unscrew 1 "+" shaped screw from the center of the top surface of the projector
5) Remove the pastic top (help yourself with a flat screwdriver if needed to pull the edges)
6) Remove the dark "+" shaped screw in the picture below next to the lens unit to access a small window to the DMD

https :// ibb.co / dzJCRK - Position where the screw was
https :// ibb.co /bTFFfe - Window opened after removing the screw
(sorry for scrambled urls, but I dan't post images as I am too new to the forum)

There's no point going any further as for what I understand even if you were to completely remove the optics, that window would still be your only way in to access the dmd.

After opening the window, I blew some compressed air (MISTAKE!), but that stained the surface, so I then had to clean, the best medium proved to be a cotton bud, but that leaves tiny hair bits that are hard to remove too, even when blowing air or vacuuming (I used an air pump for both tasks)… the hair bits keep moving around, but you never completely get rid of them. After HOURS… like 4 hours or more of trial and error, I ended up proceeding as follows, which is a bit unortodox, but ir worked:
1) Leaving the window open, put the 1/4 top cover back in place, this will push a rectangular button down and this will allow you to turn on the unit. You will need to put some weight on the cover so that it actually pushes down the button.
2) Turn on the unit, if necessary go into menu and change the background colour to black
3) Make the screen as small as possible, then play with the focus so that your hair is in focus (the writings and edges of the screen will be out of focus now)
4) Stick a cotton bud and a thin air pump (deflate side = vacuum) into the window and clean the surface until no hair is left, or not enough to be visible when the image is in focus
a. The dust in my case was on the little glass-like surface that in the pictures above would sit slightly to the right of the window, towards the top, so you would need to insert the cotton bud towards top-right direction in that picture
b. When you see the cotton bud going in focus, you are hitting the right spot you will notice the cotton bud is nearly the size of the dmd itself, so it will take a bit of precision but not much time at all
c. You will notice that up on the dmd is down on the screen, and left on the dmd is right on the screen (this holds true if you are s projecting an image in a wall in front of you and in upright position, not sure if you choose other settings)
d. Doesn't take a lot of pressure at all, if you put too much pressure in my experience you will leave small marks on the dmd, which can be cleaned but will take more time
e. Change the cottonbud often, after a few seconds of usage they start loosing more hair, making your job harder… remember that your projector is worth 100's of $£€, a cotton buds box only about 1 $£€ :P
f. To play safe, when you extract your cotton bud make sure it's not too hot, in my experience it never was, but remember you have a very hot lamp nearby, so it could and last thing you want is for it to melt/burn inside the window
Hope this helps!!
post #41 of 44 Old 08-03-2018, 04:48 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
also, feel free to bend the cotton bud at an angle near the cotton tip, so that it is easier to push it against the correct surface once inside the window
post #42 of 44 Old 01-03-2020, 06:53 AM

Just did mine again after another blob appeared and was annoying me in dark scenes, just undid the hatch squirt of air and a vacumn cleaner and all is good again, and found that using PC HDMI setting allows a better black/contrast on dark scenes.
post #43 of 44 Old 01-31-2020, 01:58 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabriba18 View Post
If you see dust blobs on the screen, this is unlikely to be about the lenses, it will more likely be related with the "DMD" module.
Not sure if this has been covered, but this means that even a complete lamp replacement (including the lamp housing) won't get rid of any dust - right?

My Home Theater setup:
Picture:
Benq W2000 (HT3050) // 130" DIY AT-screen // Sony UHP-H1 // PS3
Sound: Pioneer VSX-AX2AV (7.1) // Infinity Beta 50/C360/ES250, Mission 737R, Dynavoice Thunder T-12 // Sinus Live BassPump III
post #44 of 44 Old 01-31-2020, 06:42 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by kutzon View Post
Not sure if this has been covered, but this means that even a complete lamp replacement (including the lamp housing) won't get rid of any dust - right?
Correct, dust particles are on the dmd, sometimes if youre lucky when focused you wont see them. The best thing to do to avoid dust on the dmd is cover the intake fans with nylon mesh filters and vacuum them frequently(twice a month). If theyre not vacuumed frequently though theyll clog up and the projector will overheat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W1080st 1080p 3d Short Throw Dlp Home Theater Projector

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page