Re-working my AV setup - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 08-09-2013, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
First of all, I couldn't find a perfect forum for this post, so I apologize if it does not belong here, and I will move it if I should.

I am looking to update my AV system, specifically my AVR and/or my projector. I am not looking for incredible, but I would like to improve somewhat.

Current setup:
Xbox 360, Wii U, PC -> HDMI to Monoprice HDX 401ta HDMI switch
HDMI switch -> S/PDIF Optical audio to Harman Kardon AVR 147 receiver
HDMI switch -> HDMI video to Mitsubishi HC1500 projector
Cable TV is not hooked up very often, so it is not really a concern.

Possiblities
Optoma HD131Xe projector

I have had some issues getting 5.1 surround from my xbox, wii u, and pc. I remember researching it and finding out that the HDMI audio signal has to conform to what the endpoint (projector) says that it can handle, which causes my signal to be stereo. If this is true, is there a way to avoid it? Would a newer AVR that has HDMI splitting allow me to remove the switch and still get high quality audio?

I am technically literate, but not very experienced with A/V setup details. My goal is to get as high quality of audio and video as I can without spending a ton of extra money. Any help/suggestions are appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-09-2013, 07:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Yep, just get a new receiver with a bunch of hdmi inputs and audio will be no problem. Just make sure it does 3d.
post #3 of 7 Old 08-10-2013, 09:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1357 Post(s)
Liked: 1887
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDonkey07 View Post

First of all, I couldn't find a perfect forum for this post, so I apologize if it does not belong here, and I will move it if I should.

I am looking to update my AV system, specifically my AVR and/or my projector. I am not looking for incredible, but I would like to improve somewhat.

Current setup:
Xbox 360, Wii U, PC -> HDMI to Monoprice HDX 401ta HDMI switch
HDMI switch -> S/PDIF Optical audio to Harman Kardon AVR 147 receiver
HDMI switch -> HDMI video to Mitsubishi HC1500 projector
Cable TV is not hooked up very often, so it is not really a concern.

I have had some issues getting 5.1 surround from my xbox, wii u, and pc. I remember researching it and finding out that the HDMI audio signal has to conform to what the endpoint (projector) says that it can handle, which causes my signal to be stereo. If this is true, is there a way to avoid it? Would a newer AVR that has HDMI splitting allow me to remove the switch and still get high quality audio?

I am technically literate, but not very experienced with A/V setup details. My goal is to get as high quality of audio and video as I can without spending a ton of extra money. Any help/suggestions are appreciated.

You've got some set-up problems here and I think it's best if you post this same message in the HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World.

They've got some very experienced people who frequent that forum.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten Movies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 08-10-2013, 09:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post

You've got some set-up problems here and I think it's best if you post this same message in the HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World.

Setup problems?

He's got 3 HDMI devices that go to an HDMI switch.
All he needs is a decent HD audio receiver with 3D(optional if you plan on going 3D) capabilities, at least 3 HDMI inputs with an HDMI video out to the projector.
You can usually find one on sale or online for $200-400 depending on your accessory and wattage needs.

Once you have an updated receiver, it will be ready for a new projector.

If the cable box had an HDMI output, you could plug that in to the receiver as well.

The 5.1 issue can be the HDMI switch if its got a chip/active and not a true passtive dry HDMI switch.

Btw, with optical audio, you're not getting HD audio.

post #5 of 7 Old 08-10-2013, 10:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1357 Post(s)
Liked: 1887
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42Plasmaman View Post

Setup problems?

He's got 3 HDMI devices that go to an HDMI switch.
All he needs is a decent HD audio receiver with 3D(optional if you plan on going 3D) capabilities, at least 3 HDMI inputs with an HDMI video out to the projector.
You can usually find one on sale or online for $200-400 depending on your accessory and wattage needs.

Once you have an updated receiver, it will be ready for a new projector.

If the cable box had an HDMI output, you could plug that in to the receiver as well.

The 5.1 issue can be the HDMI switch if its got a chip/active and not a true passtive dry HDMI switch.

Btw, with optical audio, you're not getting HD audio.

I don't disagree, a new AVR would give him HD audio. But he was trying to figure out why he was getting stereo with his set-up when he expected at least regular Dolby Digital 5.1.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten Movies
post #6 of 7 Old 08-10-2013, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll post over there as well and see what I can learn.

For a new receiver, I did some quick searching and the Sony STR-DN840 seems to be a very good receiver for a reasonable price.

My hope is to replace both the receiver and the projector. We'll see what my SO thinks about that.
post #7 of 7 Old 08-10-2013, 07:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:

I don't disagree, a new AVR would give him HD audio. But he was trying to figure out why he was getting stereo with his set-up when he expected at least regular Dolby Digital 5.1.
Most likely issue for this is the HDMI switch, if it's an active switch with a circuit.
I had one of those monoprice active switches and had HDMI audio issues.
I swapped it for their passive switch and no issues.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Optoma Hd131xe Dlp Projector 3d

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page