LG PF80G First world mini-projector full led 1080p - Page 21 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #601 of 695 Old 05-04-2014, 01:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2688 Post(s)
Liked: 877
The W1070's Dynamic mode measured 1554 lumens on our test sample, though the image is greenish.
The W1070's Cinema mode measures 1220 lumens with the lamp at full power and 880 lumens in Eco mode.
-I'd say it's fair to assume you can probably get a pretty nice(not green) image from the Benq around 1300-1400lm on a fresh lamp, or about 700-800lm after 1500-2000hours?

The PF85U maxes out at 706 lumens in Vivid mode with all brightness-boosting features turned on. The image is noticeably bluish, and both gamma and color saturation are exaggerated.
-Since changing the gamma and color-saturation won't affect peak-white, and dropping WB blue can only lose 5-8% of white's luminosity, I'd say it's fair to assume you could get a nice image from the LG around 600-650lm?

The W1070's image is subtle in the best sense of the word. The picture is bright, but shadow detail is preserved well. Black level is not the W1070's strongest suit. White balance in Cinema mode is acceptable for casual viewing, but further calibration gives the W1070 near-perfect color.

The PF85U lacks the W1070's intense brightness, but it has a lot of features that make the picture more compelling in ambient light. It's black level is much deeper and shadow detail is superb, with the deepest details still visible even in difficult scenes. Default color is not bad, but the PF85U does not benefit much from calibration. Color saturation is high.

The PF85U has frame interpolation and includes Smart TV functionality to watch streaming video from a number of popular services right on the projector. It has a greater number of connection options, including a coaxial port you can use to attach a broadcast antenna and both wired and WiFi networking. It has stereo speakers versus the W1070's mono. It is also smaller and lighter than the W1070.

The W1070 has both a zoom lens and vertical lens shift. It is Full HD 3D compatible, and has more accurate color in it's factory default settings as well as post-calibration.

-The W1070 costs roughly $300 less than the PF85U at present, but the W1070 is also a few years old now while the PF85U has just entered the full online market and its price should be expected to drop slightly in the coming months.
The 1070's very small amount of zoom+lensShift will have to compete with the LG's small size+weight during placement/hanging. And the tiny brightness advantage of the 1070 (after 1500-2000hrs) can only be solved with a $250 new lamp..at which point it is no longer the cheaper projector.

Easy $25 DIY black (or any color) ALR paint +$40-$50sprayer screen mix smooth/clean and very easy to learn spraying with little/no mess.
Simple $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
Quick <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room "A store that sells blinds can help your picture more than a store that sells projectors many times." -bud16415
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #602 of 695 Old 05-04-2014, 06:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3787 Post(s)
Liked: 3001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftoast View Post

... It's black level is much deeper and shadow detail is superb, with the deepest details still visible even in difficult scenes. ...

Isn't this kind of black level performance one of the things we've been hoping for from LED technology?  Even if the PF80G has many areas that need improvement, I find it really promising that the black level is already so good so soon in a reasonably priced LED projector.  This is a really promising hint of what LED projection could produce with further development.  I'd be interested to know the least expensive non-LED projector that matches the PF80G's black level performance.

post #603 of 695 Old 05-06-2014, 09:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1001 Post(s)
Liked: 1048
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post

I would never recommend a high gain retroreflective screen if quality viewing is desired. .

I would! the Da-lite HP (High Power) 2.8 gain screen is a great screen for quality viewing if you set up the projector properly for a retroreflective screen. There are knowledgeable people on this forum who use the HP screen with Sony's $28,000 4K projector for both 2D and 3D. For many with larger screens the HP has allowed them to watch 3D with respectable brightness. I have tried a number of different screens over the years and the HP is my favourite. It does not exhibit hot sotting as many high gain screens do. Its major draw back is its limited viewing cone. It doesn't work for every setup, but if your room will accommodate it this screen is heaven sent, especially if you're into 3D.

Here's the definitive review of the HP screen from some years ago. With the advent of lower lumen LED projectors and 3D I believe the HP screen is more relevant than ever.

https://www.avsforum.com/t/773065/high-power-a-review-part-1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #604 of 695 Old 05-10-2014, 08:07 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Since the LG PF85U has been available here in the USA in the last week or two has anyone bought one yet and what are your impression on it ?
On Amazon there is still a 4 to 6 week wait for it.
post #605 of 695 Old 05-10-2014, 09:59 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Newegg has the projector in stock for $1299 but they don't wanna price match amazon's $1199 mad.gif I already ordered it on amazon 2 weeks ago but still no shipping info.
post #606 of 695 Old 05-13-2014, 05:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJPAUL View Post

Guys i handled the focus issue wink.gif

My Focus wheel was only a little bit loose/slack (sry i dont know the english word for [german ("locker")]

I pushed the focus wheel a little bit against the PJ and than set the focus and BOOM everything is brilliant wink.gif

DJPAUL,

Can you check the focus with this pattern please?

http://www.planetb.net/~chrispy/8500ub/test_images/NEC_pattern_1.png

Do you think the focus is uniform in the center and in the corners?
Or text is blurred in the corners?

Thank you!
post #607 of 695 Old 05-13-2014, 07:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:

The W1070's Dynamic mode measured 1554 lumens on our test sample, though the image is greenish.
The W1070's Cinema mode measures 1220 lumens with the lamp at full power and 880 lumens in Eco mode.
-I'd say it's fair to assume you can probably get a pretty nice(not green) image from the Benq around 1300-1400lm on a fresh lamp, or about 700-800lm after 1500-2000hours?

The PF85U maxes out at 706 lumens in Vivid mode with all brightness-boosting features turned on. The image is noticeably bluish, and both gamma and color saturation are exaggerated.
-Since changing the gamma and color-saturation won't affect peak-white, and dropping WB blue can only lose 5-8% of white's luminosity, I'd say it's fair to assume you could get a nice image from the LG around 600-650lm?

The W1070's image is subtle in the best sense of the word. The picture is bright, but shadow detail is preserved well. Black level is not the W1070's strongest suit. White balance in Cinema mode is acceptable for casual viewing, but further calibration gives the W1070 near-perfect color.

The PF85U lacks the W1070's intense brightness, but it has a lot of features that make the picture more compelling in ambient light. It's black level is much deeper and shadow detail is superb, with the deepest details still visible even in difficult scenes. Default color is not bad, but the PF85U does not benefit much from calibration. Color saturation is high.

The PF85U has frame interpolation and includes Smart TV functionality to watch streaming video from a number of popular services right on the projector. It has a greater number of connection options, including a coaxial port you can use to attach a broadcast antenna and both wired and WiFi networking. It has stereo speakers versus the W1070's mono. It is also smaller and lighter than the W1070.

The W1070 has both a zoom lens and vertical lens shift. It is Full HD 3D compatible, and has more accurate color in it's factory default settings as well as post-calibration.

-The W1070 costs roughly $300 less than the PF85U at present, but the W1070 is also a few years old now while the PF85U has just entered the full online market and its price should be expected to drop slightly in the coming months.
The 1070's very small amount of zoom+lensShift will have to compete with the LG's small size+weight during placement/hanging. And the tiny brightness advantage of the 1070 (after 1500-2000hrs) can only be solved with a $250 new lamp..at which point it is no longer the cheaper projector.

You're not going to get a very natural looking picture only a few percent off "torch mode," especially when the cinema mode is roughly 50-55% the brightness of torch mode in the PF85. You describe it as a "small" advantage in brightness that the W1070 has over the PF85, but I'd call it huge. I'd say "watchable" but on the brighter side is probably something around 1000 lumens in ECO for the W1070 and roughly 400-450 lumens for the PF85 in full blast mode (where I'm sure it sounds like a hair dryer like the PA70G did). Most probably won't want to watch anything with it that loud, so I bet it's probably somewhere in the 350-400 lumen mark in the brightest possible lumen mode, or just a hair above the PA70G.

Zoom and lens shift make projector placement stupid easy compared to no zoom or lens shift. The later requires much more work, planning, and precision with placement of everything. It also makes it a non-starter for a surprising number of rooms and screen sizes unless you get really creative (I built a custom extension frame for my PA70G for this very reason).

I'm sure it's a nice picture from the PF85 when ignoring the price, but don't twist reality too much to make some of its big negative for a home theater into positives.
post #608 of 695 Old 05-15-2014, 01:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPS13 View Post

You're not going to get a very natural looking picture only a few percent off "torch mode," especially when the cinema mode is roughly 50-55% the brightness of torch mode in the PF85. You describe it as a "small" advantage in brightness that the W1070 has over the PF85, but I'd call it huge. I'd say "watchable" but on the brighter side is probably something around 1000 lumens in ECO for the W1070 and roughly 400-450 lumens for the PF85 in full blast mode (where I'm sure it sounds like a hair dryer like the PA70G did). Most probably won't want to watch anything with it that loud, so I bet it's probably somewhere in the 350-400 lumen mark in the brightest possible lumen mode, or just a hair above the PA70G.

Zoom and lens shift make projector placement stupid easy compared to no zoom or lens shift. The later requires much more work, planning, and precision with placement of everything. It also makes it a non-starter for a surprising number of rooms and screen sizes unless you get really creative (I built a custom extension frame for my PA70G for this very reason).

I'm sure it's a nice picture from the PF85 when ignoring the price, but don't twist reality too much to make some of its big negative for a home theater into positives.

I based the brightness estimates from what the article claimed and the tweaks that I know are able to fix the "torchmode" problems with the LG that the article mentioned which don't hardly affect brightness. Improving gamma, lowering color saturation, and lowering blue-levels will fix the mentioned problems of torch-mode AND lowers lumen output by less than 10%. However, I'm personally betting true color-lumen output from torch-mode is around 400 and not exaggerated at 706 as the article states, though I'd be very happy to be wrong.

I also have to agree with you somewhat on noise levels as I find myself using the similar pa75u on medium output mode whenever I'm watching in a quiet environment (which is quieter than the w1070 is on eco)..though sports and daytime viewing is rarely if ever quiet, so it sort of works out either way. The w1070 is also one of the loudest projectors I've tried, and its eco-mode makes very little difference.

The zoom and shift options do make errors easy to correct, especially if a stand isn't very adjustable. The weight and simplicity of the LG make it easier to avoid errors by physically holding the projector at the desired distance and planning the drop-pole distance, though both are fairly light and small. The small range of zoom/shift on the w1070 makes it a non-starter for most rooms that the LG would fail in as well. The LG tripod options make floor-level mounting a somewhat unique option also.

I only restated what the article said and added some closing arguments with explanations for them, no twisting required. I do think the article should've mentioned more about noise levels and actual measurements for color-balance. A couple minutes of simple settings adjustment trying to squeeze out watchable yet bright images would've been good in the article too.

You certainly bring up some good points and I couldn't agree more about the price/lack of placement adjustments of the LG being a big detriment to an otherwise tempting projector. It's calibrated brightness matches or beats most/all non RGB DLPs while its measured contrast matches or beats anything under $2000-2500. If it had the placement options to match, it would be near unbeatable at its price. As is, it will need to be cheaper.

Easy $25 DIY black (or any color) ALR paint +$40-$50sprayer screen mix smooth/clean and very easy to learn spraying with little/no mess.
Simple $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
Quick <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room "A store that sells blinds can help your picture more than a store that sells projectors many times." -bud16415
post #609 of 695 Old 05-15-2014, 09:00 AM

Liked: 10
Also available - and seemingly in stock - at Best Buy: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-hd-dlp-smart-projector/5972001.p

of course they have it at the un-discounted $1,299. frown.gif
post #610 of 695 Old 05-15-2014, 02:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 101 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1614 Post(s)
Liked: 1184
Quote:
Originally Posted by choosymoms View Post

Also available - and seemingly in stock - at Best Buy: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-hd-dlp-smart-projector/5972001.p

of course they have it at the un-discounted $1,299. frown.gif
How is Best Buy's return policy on projectors?

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #611 of 695 Old 05-15-2014, 04:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post

How is Best Buy's return policy on projectors?

15Days full cash refund, no questions. Short-ish but painless.

post #612 of 695 Old 05-16-2014, 10:45 PM

IP-Man
Quote:

Can you check the focus with this pattern please?

http://www.planetb.net/~chrispy/8500ub/test_images/NEC_pattern_1.png

Do you think the focus is uniform in the center and in the corners?
Or text is blurred in the corners

I made some videos of the LG PF85U that I got from Amazon. I am very happy with this projector biggrin.gif

what i like so far
1)Full brightness mode is not loud at all (medium bright is perfect)
2)1080P HD videos so detailed on this projector (i haven't even calibrated)
3)Smart TV is very usefull it's like a built-in roku/apple tv
4)built in wireless in this projector is as good as my laptop
5)square pixels yay
6)focus issue - using your pattern i see slight blurring in upper right, i did browse first and read some documents before i used your pattern if i can find it that way. Only with that pattern you provided made it stand out. Watch the video, sorry I only have iphone5 to record this.

I hope LG upgrades the optics,lumens & add zoom etc. for the next model. It's time to retire my HS201 with 14,000 hours usage.

Ftoast likes this.
post #613 of 695 Old 05-17-2014, 12:56 PM

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 46
14,000 hours, wow! My 201 is collecting dust somewhere along with my K330!

Glad you like your new toy, I want to get this for my kid's room but waiting for the price to go down. Would have loved a glass lens at that price. Still suffering horribly from LG's mucked up handling of the PA70G's focus issue fiasco.
post #614 of 695 Old 05-17-2014, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennl66 View Post

5)square pixels yay
6)focus issue - using your pattern i see slight blurring in upper right, i did browse first and read some documents before i used your pattern if i can find it that way. Only with that pattern you provided made it stand out. Watch the video, sorry I only have iphone5 to record this.

Thank you!

A few more questions: wink.gif

- Can you notice any change in focus due to the temperature of the device (focus drift)?
- Can you see clearly the pixel structure? What do you use: screen or wall?
- Can you take a hi-res picture of blurred corner?

Sorry biggrin.gif

My device definitely has focus drift and respectively focus is quite a difficult task. I may have inoperative fan (guess).
post #615 of 695 Old 05-18-2014, 02:50 AM

ip-man

-no focus change due to temperature, i've been testing alot using your pattern, thanks
-i only see the pixels when up close 2feet & no screen just a white wall
-i only have iphone5 to take pics & vid

i can't seem to find the blur anymore, i think the upper right is getting light reflection from the door close to it(you see in video)

here's some close up pics of the corners starting w/ upper right

post #616 of 695 Old 05-18-2014, 05:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Can you confirm that they dropped 3D for the 85? I've seen some confusing information from LG and also was wondering if it retained the coaxial (cable tuner) and PC/vga of its older sibling.

post #617 of 695 Old 05-18-2014, 05:39 AM

Quote:

ip-man

-no focus change due to temperature, i've been testing alot using your pattern, thanks
-i only see the pixels when up close 2feet & no screen just a white wall
-i only have iphone5 to take pics & vid

i can't seem to find the blur anymore, i think the upper right is getting light reflection from the door close to it(you see in video)

Kennl66,

I do not want to disappoint you, but I'll say it - this pattern should have 16 columns. On your photos have only eight. On my device it also looks great, but 16 columns is another story.

Thank you for the pictures!

Ed. Pattern is 1920x1080 (16 columns text) png image (lossless) 1:1 pixel mapping with lg pf80/85 dmd chip
post #618 of 695 Old 05-18-2014, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IP-Man View Post

Kennl66,

I do not want to disappoint you, but I'll say it - this pattern should have 16 columns. On your photos have only eight. On my device it also looks great, but 16 columns is another story.

Thank you for the pictures!

Ed. Pattern is 1920x1080 (16 columns text) png image (lossless) 1:1 pixel mapping with lg pf80/85 dmd chip

Yeah i was viewing the pattern in a browser thats why its showing 8 colums. I downloaded the file and viewed it the right way.

Here's another pic of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jKKt9MEJuc

not as sharp as the center screen but i can still clearly see small text in 1080p desktop res from 9 feet away. The camera phone is hard to keep focus makes other clear text blurry.
post #619 of 695 Old 05-18-2014, 01:20 PM

Quote:

Yeah i was viewing the pattern in a browser thats why its showing 8 colums. I downloaded the file and viewed it the right way.

Here's another pic of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jKKt9MEJuc

not as sharp as the center screen but i can still clearly see small text in 1080p desktop res from 9 feet away. The camera phone is hard to keep focus makes other clear text blurry.

Exactly the same as my device. Obviously optics is designed in this way. Excellent focus in the center and bad in the corners. If you use color filters in the expert menu you will see that with the primary colors (red, green,blue) focus is significantly better in the corners. This is due to the chromatic aberration.
Anyway... movies look great.
post #620 of 695 Old 05-18-2014, 06:37 PM

Quote:

Can you confirm that they dropped 3D for the 85? I've seen some confusing information from LG and also was wondering if it retained the coaxial (cable tuner) and PC/vga of its older sibling.

No 3D on the PF85U also VGA port is gone. I have my laptop hooked up via hdmi. The projector is connected to my home wireless network and it can access files from my other computer.

Ftoast likes this.
post #621 of 695 Old 05-18-2014, 06:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Keep up the good work guys with all the information that us wannabes buyers of the LGPF85U and viewer experiences.
Even though the VGA port is gone but doesn't the component jack in this projector take it's place ?
Isn't there a adapter from VGA to component ?
Perhaps other projector companies or LG might surprise us this summer with even a better projector in the works ?
post #622 of 695 Old 05-18-2014, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLPProjectorfan View Post

Keep up the good work guys with all the information that us wannabes buyers of the LGPF85U and viewer experiences.
Even though the VGA port is gone but doesn't the component jack in this projector take it's place ?
Isn't there a adapter from VGA to component ?
Perhaps other projector companies or LG might surprise us this summer with even a better projector in the works ?

It only comes with 2 adapters for component in and rca(yellow red white)
post #623 of 695 Old 05-19-2014, 05:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Does it run out of focus-wheel really fast like the 75u? The 75 seems to max out around 100-110" and the focus wheel hits the end of its range. I'd love to hear they changed this with the 85.

post #624 of 695 Old 05-19-2014, 05:48 AM

My LG PF80G mini review Part 1:

part 1: brightness, focus, noise
part 2: colors, contrast, motion handling
part 3: pictures

Impressions after three weeks with the projector.

1.Brightness (Matte White Screen, size 80", 1.1 Gain)

- Very bright, much brighter than Acer K330 LED, which is rated at 500 lumens
- At MAXIMUM energy saving equivalent to Acer K330 on ECO, on MINIMUM is much brighter
- Acceptable brightness in daylight, but not recommended on a white screen
- Good brightness uniformity

2.Focus

- Overall focus is soft
- very strange focus drift. Problem is noticeable only on part of the screen (the part that is close to the blue LED).
Acer K330 also has focus drift, but with Acer entire screen is either in focus or out of focus.
- Compared with Acer this is definitely a 1080p projector, but the high resolution still needs better optics
- when watching a movie focus problems disappear and the difference between LG and Acer is dramatic

- Sharpness in different areas of the screen:

3.Noise

- MAXIMUM ECO: deathly quiet
- MEDIUM: perfectly acceptable in a quiet room. It's no louder than a laptop in the summer.
- MINIMUM: comparable to a desktop computer (noisy). can be heard regardless of distance in a quiet room.
AV_Integrated likes this.
post #625 of 695 Old 05-19-2014, 10:41 AM

Few pictures to show you focus drift. The projector is absolutely cold.

The best part with different levels of chromatic abberation:

Soft part:

Worst part (most affected by warming):

Ed. Ceiling mount and screen:

Is there someone with more experience with ceiling mount?
Whether it affects the focus?

Kennl66, do you have a small bulge in the center of the top cover?
Do you have a comment about the photos against your observations?
post #626 of 695 Old 05-20-2014, 02:53 AM

IP-Man

You are right temp affects the focus but not as blurry like the last pattern pic you posted. What brightness setting are you using?

Mine has that bulge on top of the cover too. I've only had the Projector for 4 days so we'll see in a month if the overall focus changes. Btw, nice setup, i like that ceiling mount.

Soft part (cold)

After 4hrs

soft part(cold)

after 4hrs

thanks, i would never notice these things if you didn't point them out. i'm just happy to have a big screen tv in my bedroom smile.gif

Web browsing on this pj is really nice compared to previous models w/ diamond pixels. i had the PA70g for a day and i didn't like how the text look when browsing.

more videos
post #627 of 695 Old 05-20-2014, 03:45 AM

Kennl66,

Thanks for the comparison. I'm happier now. wink.gif

I use MAXIMUM ECO where the focus problems are most pronounced.

Actually the last picture becomes significantly better after 10-20 min.

But focusing adjustments are meaningless after half an hour.
If i do not touch the focus, projector slowly focuses and remains focused.
If I try to focus after the thirtieth minute everything becomes a mess.
post #628 of 695 Old 05-20-2014, 04:22 AM

Hey guys,
Thanks for such a great input, but could you tell us something about rainbow effect. For me it was massive with PA70g, even after calibrating and reducing brightness. I wonder if it's something else with PF85U.
post #629 of 695 Old 05-20-2014, 05:36 AM

No rainbow effect even with activated motion compensation (TruMotion).
Very smooth and natural-looking motion without blur.

I see the rainbow effect with ease and with Acer K330 i notice it often.
With PF80G I can see only small artifacts and they look more like a software problem.
When ТruМotion is off they disappear completely.
post #630 of 695 Old 05-21-2014, 11:30 AM

Sounds great. Didn't expect that, thank you for the info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Lg Electronics Pa70g Micro Portable Led Projector , Lg Pa75u Dlp Home Theater Projector , lg pf80g , Optoma Hd91 Full Led 1080p Projector

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page