AVS Forum banner
138K views 694 replies 90 participants last post by  zaphod7501 
#1 ·
 http://www.projection-homecinema.fr/2013/09/05/lg-pf80g-dlp-full-hd-full-led-1299-euros/

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=fr&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=fr&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.projection-homecinema.fr%2F2013%2F09%2F05%2Flg-pf80g-dlp-full-hd-full-led-1299-euros%2F

Finally it's here (in fact in a couple of days in Europe
)

The first mini-projecteur in full hd resolution with LED light sources at a reasonnable price range 1299€

The PF80G will come out mid-september in Europe and I'm dying to review it.

See less See more
#4 ·
Is this PJ being demo'd at the show? Interesting claimed 100k:1 contrast ratio... they've only claimed 15k:1 on previous mini-LED PJs. Does this one have a DI as well as LED dimming? or is it just the marketing game to justify the higher price point? I suspect .65" DMD, as I've not heard of any 1080p .45" chips, but that is pure speculation. Will be interesting to see how it compares to the Optoma. Lack of 3D is odd for a new DLP projector, but who knows what else LG has planned.

#5 ·
Nice surprise as pa70g owner this one can be a good proyector if fixed the blurry of the picture in this projectors the lack of sharpness is for me the big problem.

And are several theorys about the reason

bad optic ,according the picture of kraine (thanks kraine) not so different to the last projectors

other can be the small dmd and (can be new)

other the light concentrator like a part than not present in other light system

I wait impatient for news

http://www.proyector24.es/proyector-lg/lg-pf80g/

don't have the projector yet but here is

looks like the power unit is inside of the projector not like pa70/60

Saludos

#6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougri  /t/1489267/lg-pf80g-first-world-mini-projector-full-led-1080p#post_23703859

Is this PJ being demo'd at the show? Interesting claimed 100k:1 contrast ratio... they've only claimed 15k:1 on previous mini-LED PJs. Does this one have a DI as well as LED dimming? or is it just the marketing game to justify the higher price point? I suspect .65" DMD, as I've not heard of any 1080p .45" chips, but that is pure speculation. Will be interesting to see how it compares to the Optoma. Lack of 3D is odd for a new DLP projector, but who knows what else LG has planned.

No they didn't have it !!! What a shame !!!

#7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haw  /t/1489267/lg-pf80g-first-world-mini-projector-full-led-1080p#post_23703832

Curious, how does this compared with the optoma HD91, kraine?

I haven't seen it, they din't have it on LG Booth.
I just got the informations and the pics.

#8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougri  /t/1489267/lg-pf80g-first-world-mini-projector-full-led-1080p#post_23703859

Contrast won't be that good, it's a budget dlp.

I suspect some of the price is in the optics.

#9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verge2  /t/1489267/lg-pf80g-first-world-mini-projector-full-led-1080p#post_23704511

Contrast won't be that good, it's a budget dlp.

I suspect some of the price is in the optics.

I'm speaking relatively... don't expect it to compare to a JVC, or even my LS-1 (well done DC2 DLP), but if the 100k:1 specification is indicative of a substantial improvement over their prior 720p LED DLPs, then that is news. especially if they've done a good job with a DI in combination with LED dimming. I highly doubt this though and suspect it is NOS .65" DC2 DMD (i.e. not the 144Hz ones currently being used in newer 3d PJs), and that the contrast spec is purely marketing. A 1000 lumen LED 1080p PJ (even without 3D) will be big news at a likely street around $1k (based on past LG PJ price trends). Good news, and can't wait for a 3D version to compare to the Optoma. As it stands, I have two 1080p DLPs (neither 3D) and will likely buy a budget 1080p 3d machine that I can just leave on the coffee table for the kids to use whenever they want... while I'd love a sufficiently bright 4K/UHD 3D PJ, I'm just not willing to spend that much.

#10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraine  /t/1489267/lg-pf80g-first-world-mini-projector-full-led-1080p#post_23704184

I haven't seen it, they din't have it on LG Booth.
I just got the informations and the pics.

Maybe you can extract something useful out of them next time by their booth...

why the increased contrast spec on this vs their other led DLPs?

what DMD?

is their going to be a 3D version?

is this essentially the same as the PF85K/U that has started showing up on the interwebs? ( http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/965486-REG/lg_electronics_pf85u_1000_ansi_led.html )

#11 ·
How could you say this wouldn't be as good as a DC2??

Has anyone owned home theater projectors and tried one of these led dlps? Are they that bad??

I would think that on a conservative screen they would outperform a lot of home theater projectors...more light/lumens is not necessarily a good thing. Any time that I had a digital, I found myself using a ND filter on it to tame the light output. More light usually means more noise...and a harsher picture.

I am very interested in one of these....and I just saw an ebay video of an edge blend dual asus b1m....looked amazing.

#13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougri  /t/1489267/lg-pf80g-first-world-mini-projector-full-led-1080p#post_23704685

Maybe you can extract something useful out of them next time by their booth...

why the increased contrast spec on this vs their other led DLPs?

what DMD?

is their going to be a 3D version?

is this essentially the same as the PF85K/U that has started showing up on the interwebs? ( http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/965486-REG/lg_electronics_pf85u_1000_ansi_led.html )

Soon I will get my hands on it, to write a full review it's better

#15 ·
It's about damn time!

Jason

#17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp  /t/1489267/lg-pf80g-first-world-mini-projector-full-led-1080p#post_23706433

It's about damn time!

Jason

Exactly !!!

#19 ·
You got that right.

I should have waited when I bought the LG PA75 U .

Everyone ? is 1,000 Lumens good enough ?

The LG PA75 U is , well ok, for somethings like watching football and some games.

The 3D on the game I played worked sometimes but gave me a headache and cause my eyes to get out of focus a lot.

The 2D to 3D conversion is mediocre and I still have not tried it out on a true 3D source.

I suspect that LG with in a few months perhaps would introduce a 3D model of the PF80G like they did with the LG PA70G when they introduced the PA75U model about 6 or 7 months after the 70 model ? with a TV tuner.

I am loving this PF80F already with the ability to hard wire the internet with the LAN port because I rather use wired than wireless much safer and faster.

Not only is the PF80F 1080 P with 1,000 Lumens but with 2 HDMI ports and a optical audio out if this projector does not have the return audio through the HDMI.

Does the price for this seem right ? B&H Photo from New York has it about $ 1,200

The PF80G looks like it's about the same size as the Vivitek Qumi 7.

It looks like no one here will be buying those projectors now since this one has come out.

It also has 2 USB ports.

I wonder what else this projector has that temps us to buy it ?

If anything I can try to sell my PA75U or just keep it as a back up.

I still have the old HX300 sitting around in it's carry bag still in like new condition with about 250 hours on it.

Same thing with my old Infocus X2 still in like new condition with about 300 hours on it still in the original box it came with after almost 10 years.

#20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by benareeno  /t/1489267/lg-pf80g-first-world-mini-projector-full-led-1080p#post_23707818

Jason,

how did that 720p LG stack up against other projectors?

Obviously, the limitation being screen size...but, how was the pic quality?

Ben

Image quality was pretty decent over-all as long as you obtained a unit with solid focus, we used it like a tv for everyday use and it was great. I'll be looking into the 1080p LED models when they hit the USA.

Now obviously it did not compete with true HT projectors but it was very respectable considering the cost (we paid $399 for the 70 and $630 for the 75).

Jason

#21 ·
I am in the same dilemma I got the PA75U and paid $ 650.

Would you still keep your PA70G when these new PF80Gs come out ? or sell it ? keep it as a back up and gaming projector ?

I am trying to make it painless at possible for I should have waited but then again these won't be coming to the US for while yet.

If anything the PA75U has a built in TV tuner and 3D so I can use that for that and use the PF80G for the good stuff.

Would have 2 LED projectors that would give you a long life of use if you use both.

Now let see ? average LED life for these are 20,000 hours ? so ? if I keep this one and buy the PF80G that gives me a projector with a TV tuner, play games, and 3D though ? the 3D so far is so so, and I'll have a 1080P also with all together tied up $ 1800 with 40,000 hours to boot in both projectors.

The next available projector that's even worth writing home about is the Viewsonic Pro9000 the Acer K750 is crapola.

The Optoma HD91 will be well over $ 2,000 unless someone corrects me on that.

#22 ·
I sold my 70 a long time ago to another AVS'er.

I returned the 75 after a week or so, nice little unit but we decided to go a different route for our game room.

Jason

#23 ·
I know if it was a week ago I could have returned it.

To keep it or not to keep it.

It would seem other than the built in TV tuner and 3D that it would be a waste to have the LGPA75U hanging around collecting dust unless I use it as a back up projector.

Yes, I can live with spending another $ 1,200 for this new projector but having all these projectors around now seems a waste.

I have 2 other projector here also, except that they are old tech.

Does everyone here seem to get the sense that LG may have been lurking and noting our comments here on AVS ?

Many said that the other LED models didn't have audio return through HDMI but yet they said they would be happy with optical out audio SPDIF and yet ? LG put's SPDIF at least I hope in this new projector.

Now if they have HDMI audio return that would be great.

Many cried out that we want a LED 1,000 lumens and more with 1080P with a decent audio out and here it is by LG.

When was the last time we have seen a manufacture put optical out SPDIF on their products ? 5 years ago ? yes I know some products still have optical out SPDIF as the standard, but LG has the return of SPDIF on a projector ?

You know what else I see that they done ? they got rid of , well, sort of got rid of composite RCA.

They have A/V in and on top of that Component in.

How does that work ? Component in ?

I always thought you had 2 leads on red green blue with component.

I keep looking at the picture of the PF80G and wondering where is the focus adjuster unless the focus ring is the lens it's self ?

Does it look like the lens is larger than the PA75U and PA70G lenses ?

#25 ·
PF80G vs PF85U ? PF85U have 3D ? need more info about this two.

looks like PF85U cost 1199USD at B&H , will see it soon on Amazon etc... maybe for 999USD shipped
we need a promotion !

I have LG PA75U now , very good model for good price , but need FullHD

will be nice to get it just before mine PS4 and XBOX ONE arrives

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.