LG PF85U/K - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 09-05-2013, 10:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 64
US & Korean versions of the PF80G, or spec bumped models? Noticed the PF85U showing up various places (e.g. bhphoto) today and a google search seems to indicate similar pricing to the IFA-announced PF80G... 1080P LED, 1000 lumens, 100K:1, but also with WiDi and an ATSC tuner. No idea if the spec's are legit... if so, seems like a decent option if you have no desire for 3D, but want an LED PJ.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-06-2013, 10:55 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Well I should have waited and in a dilemma whether I should just keep the one I have which is the LGPA75U with 3D and use it as a back up projector and 3D ?

Or sell it and get this one.

I know on a projector with higher lumens and higher resolution the 3D would be much better but if only, if only I have waited frown.gif

If anything if I keep both and use them for certain uses both would last a very long time.

I guess I better look at this way the Optoma HD91 most likely would cost well over the $ 2000 range maybe.

The Acer K750 is well, crapola.

The next half way decent LED 1080P projector is the Viewsonic Pro9000 in the $ 1800 - $ 2500 range.

So ? I got $ 650 tied up in the LGPA75U and if I buy this one for let's say $ 1200 I'll have about $ 1,800 tied up in both projectors and I'll have 2 of them.
post #3 of 8 Old 10-31-2013, 04:35 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLPProjectorfan View Post

Well I should have waited and in a dilemma whether I should just keep the one I have which is the LGPA75U with 3D and use it as a back up projector and 3D ?

Or sell it and get this one.

I know on a projector with higher lumens and higher resolution the 3D would be much better but if only, if only I have waited frown.gif

If anything if I keep both and use them for certain uses both would last a very long time.

I guess I better look at this way the Optoma HD91 most likely would cost well over the $ 2000 range maybe.

The Acer K750 is well, crapola.

The next half way decent LED 1080P projector is the Viewsonic Pro9000 in the $ 1800 - $ 2500 range.

So ? I got $ 650 tied up in the LGPA75U and if I buy this one for let's say $ 1200 I'll have about $ 1,800 tied up in both projectors and I'll have 2 of them.

hey man, I just sold my PA75U to a local guy, I was thinking about getting the PF85U but there's no info on it online, what do you know? but I was reading something about the PF80G I believe and the focusing issues haven't been corrected, arghh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 03-11-2014, 11:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2696 Post(s)
Liked: 890
Focusing issues are still reported for the pf80/85 (but might be hit/miss..my pa75u has decently even focus). The brightness remains the same 400lumens, but contrast is increased from 900:1 up to 1350:1 which will look much better on dark scenes. Color balance is also improved where blue is on the money, and green/red are equally slightly above, unlike the pa70/75 where green had both a large boost and a slight blue tint. Reports are that colors and skintones come out very natural, though default whitebalance is still a bit cold (easy to change though).

Anyone lucky enough to find one with acceptable focus should have a nice device on their hands.

Easy $25 DIY black (or any color) ALR paint +$40-$50sprayer screen mix smooth/clean and very easy to learn spraying with little/no mess.
Simple $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
Quick <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room "A store that sells blinds can help your picture more than a store that sells projectors many times." -bud16415
post #5 of 8 Old 03-14-2014, 04:37 PM
Advanced Member

Unless the projector companies come out with a decent priced LED 1080P projector this year I am thinking of going into the VR head mounted display.
Sony with their VR headset to be announced next week at GDC , The Oculus Rift, the Game Face, the Avegant Glyph.
The Avegant Glyph is DLP.
If I need a display to watch movies I use the Avegant Glyph, if I want immersion VR I use either the Oculus Rift or the GameFace and still come in cheaper than buying the LGPF80G at $ 1200.
The commercial version of the Oculus Rift is suppose to be around $ 300 street prices, and the Avegant Glyph is suppose ( the kick starter set is around $ 499 , so with both I would have $ 800 and save $ 400 and won't need a theater room.... saving another $ 4,000 to $ 30,000.
post #6 of 8 Old 03-14-2014, 06:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2696 Post(s)
Liked: 890
I thought the rift (and any of the wearable gear) was low resolution. Either way, unless you want a big screen for multiple viewers, any $400-or-less wearable with good inputs is holding most of the advantages. I'm sure the LG will come down some in price, but it won't be anywhere near $400 besides a used model in 2016. That said, the similarly bright pa75u with its software advantages can put a very enjoyable 110" picture on a livingroom wall with the curtains closed. And 720p with good fill-ratio can look less pixelated than 1080p with poorer fill-ratio.

If you can darken the room some with curtains AND put up with a high quality 720p image, there's a couple LED options in the $400-550 range. Might be more fun to have a cheap LED for night-gaming and Netflix, and a cheap wearable when you don't want to make it dark.

Easy $25 DIY black (or any color) ALR paint +$40-$50sprayer screen mix smooth/clean and very easy to learn spraying with little/no mess.
Simple $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
Quick <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room "A store that sells blinds can help your picture more than a store that sells projectors many times." -bud16415
post #7 of 8 Old 03-15-2014, 08:33 PM
Advanced Member

Oculus Rift's first development kit was low resolution how ever their prototype that was revealed at CES 2014 was 1080P and their next development kit before the consumer version with be supposed higher resolution.
I already have the LGPA75U so I don't need another projector and it's at 720P and good enough for right now, so was a hold over until the affordable 1080P LED projectors came out.
However ? the VR head set caught my interests.
The advancement of resolution in the head mounted VR displays will advance faster that projectors.
post #8 of 8 Old 10-11-2014, 09:01 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Received my LG PF85U a few days ago. Really impressed with it so far.
Pros:
Uniform focus. Yay!
No diamond pixels
Lots of settings to tweak the image
Con(s):
Rainbows. The biggest problem with the projector. A bit less than the LG PA70G @ 60Hz, but still very noticeable.

Overall I am happy, but I hope LG will make another version with a zoom and 120Hz or more refresh rate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Lg Pa75u Dlp Home Theater Projector , Optoma Hd91 Full Led 1080p Projector , Acer K750 Dlp Projector

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page