Issues getting Epson 5020 aligned, or lens issue? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 09-27-2013, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Hey everyone,

I was wondering if I could get some feedback on getting my projector properly aligned with my screen. I'm using an Epson 5020ub with a chief ceiling mount firing 16' across the room to a 120" diagonal screen. I've twisted, turned, bumped, scooted, and shifted the image back and fourth as much as I could but I still can't seem to get the image to be perfectly square with my screen. At this point, I think I've got 3 of the corners pretty well aligned but the upper left corner looks like it comes in and up. I'm a bit perplexed as to what's going on here. The screen is custom made and I've checked multiple times to make sure it was cut perfectly square and everything checks out. I haven't adjusted the keystone at all and have instead relied on the mount's adjustments to make sure the projector is level and parallel with the screen.

Here's a composite image of the four corners:

Sorry for the crappy quality, these were taken with my cell phone and with me trying to keep it as even and flat as possible. I left my screen's backlighting on to try to show where the screen's edges are. I also have the image zoomed out a little for adjustment purposes.

Any advice on mount or projector adjustments to fix the issue would be greatly appreciated. Or maybe I just need to call Epson and get a replacement? confused.gif

LG 65EF9500 /Denon AVR-2113ci / Darbee DVP5000/Definitive Tech SM 350 + Mythos 3 Center + 2 Klipsch RW-12D Subs / Custom 20TB Ubuntu Server + Win 10 HTPC/ Xbox 360 / OUYA / iRule Pro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 11-13-2013, 09:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 31
How does it affect your normal viewing? If it doesn't, enjoy. I struggle to see anything I wouldn't live with in your photos, but I'm more Vilfredo Pareto than Sheldon Cooper (even rockin the beard for Mo'vember...).

post #3 of 3 Old 11-14-2013, 09:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1550 Post(s)
Liked: 1145
If the left side is up higher, as it appears, then your entire left edge is longer than the right edge and you need to rotate the projector to the right to make the left edge shorter, and the right edge longer. Then use lens shift to get the image back on screen. If ceiling mounted, then you want the top edge of the image to be perfectly level before you worry about the bottom edge. If the top edge is not level (as it looks like it isn't) then you need to tilt the projector until the top edge is perfectly parallel to the edge of the screen.

Then you worry about the bottom edge and the sides.

Right now, it looks like you need to tilt the left edge of the projector down some and you need to rotate the projector to the right some and then shift the image back to the left.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page