InFocus 2116 issues. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 10-23-2013, 04:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've secured a InFocus IN2116 from work. It has no HDMI. I already emailed InFocus and confirmed it is HDCP compliant.

Am I going to be able to use this thing with my Toshiba BluRay player (HDMI only) or my HD Motorola cable box (HDMI or component)?

I already tried using this adapter to no avail:http://www.cablematters.com/pc-434-79-cable-matters-active-hdmi-to-vga-male-to-female-adapter-with-usb-power-cable.aspx

The tested the adapter by plugging it into my toshiba 42 inch LCD TV. The blue ray player showed the menu and then went to a black screen as soon as I hit play, and the cable box gave me an HDCP error.

Questions:
Can I plug the cable box into the projector with a simple component to VGA cable?
Is the issue with the bluray player / HDMI to VGA adapter that the adapter is not hdcp compliant?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-23-2013, 06:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1561 Post(s)
Liked: 1152
The InFocus IN2116...

http://www.projectorcentral.com/InFocus-IN2116.htm

This projector has no digital input, so it can't be used with any Blu-ray player that is currently manufactured with HD output.

Per page 12 of the manual, you can use a component to VGA adapter cable (passive) to send component video out of any HD source to the projector and it will work.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/pdf/projector_manual_5350.pdf

A cable like this for example:

Now, for your BD player, you really are walking down a path which may or may not ever work, but the HDFury products are designed to be HDCP compliant and provide component video output which will work with any component video device. I've heard various stories of their quality and reliability, but when they work, they are about the only product that does what you need.

http://www.hdfury.com

Just a reminder that no projector is worth a pile of beans without a HDCP compliant digital input on it this day and age.

Of course you could get a media player, rip your discs to hard drives and play them back off of the media player using component video output if you wanted to skip the HDFury option.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #3 of 8 Old 10-23-2013, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter

So for playing Blu-ray, does getting a bluray drive for my computer and running a VGA cable to the projector work?  Or will the Bluray only output over digital?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 10-23-2013, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter

Also, just to confirm, the fact that the projector is HDCP compliant essentially means nothing since HDCP signals can't be converted / handshake over analog?

post #5 of 8 Old 10-23-2013, 08:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnobox View Post

So for playing Blu-ray, does getting a bluray drive for my computer and running a VGA cable to the projector work?  Or will the Bluray only output over digital?
I'm not sure, but I believe that the current software for PC playback limits the output to digital only. This is the grand push for all video to be digital only. On the other hand, you can use a BD drive and rip a BD to your computer and have it remove encryption using AnyDVD HD from Slysoft. You could convert it to a MKV, or leave it as a Blu-ray ISO. It takes a ton of hard drive space, but it's a heck of a way to do things and does work.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #6 of 8 Old 10-23-2013, 08:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 496 Post(s)
Liked: 415
another option is to buy a used 720P projector for $200-300, plugin the HDMI cable and enjoy..

Doug
Planar PD8150 with DC4 DMD paired with a Dalite HP 2.8 120"
http://www.airscapesart.com

post #7 of 8 Old 10-23-2013, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter

I think for now I'll take the software route and try ripping to my Computer.  Thanks for all your advice!

post #8 of 8 Old 10-23-2013, 11:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnobox View Post

Also, just to confirm, the fact that the projector is HDCP compliant essentially means nothing since HDCP signals can't be converted / handshake over analog?
A DVI or HDMI input can be HDCP compliant. Since it has neither, it is not possible for it to be HDCP compliant. Not sure where you got that information from. If it was from the manufacturer, it's because you spoke to an idiot. biggrin.gif That happens all the time! biggrin.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Infocus In2116 Dlp Projector

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page