Someone help me decide! - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 11-13-2013, 09:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm stuck between the LG pa75u and the Benq 770st. I know these two projectors are very different but they both fit my budget. What would you guys recommend? The benq is more lumens but I like the portability of the LG.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-14-2013, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter

$10 paypaled to the person with the best answer.

post #3 of 6 Old 11-14-2013, 10:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1645 Post(s)
Liked: 1197
What IS your usage? Why do you need portability? What level of quality are you hoping for?

Micro projectors are, IMO, still a toy. Their image quality doesn't match up to those projectors designed for home theater and reviewers basically never compare the two side-by-side for this reason despite the mass of people on this forum who do use them for that purpose.

Home theater projectors, in contrast are bright enough to deliver a very punchy image on a screen size of about 92" to 133" diagonal rather easily. Their lamps do need to be replaced, but can generally last 1-2 years for most people under normal usage. They have enough light output typically for good 3D viewing if that's something that interests you, but more specifically, they have better shadow detail, better optics, more placement flexibility, better contrast, better motion handling, and greater image uniformity.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/LG-PA75U.htm

http://www.projectorcentral.com/BenQ-W770ST.htm

So, the 770ST has five times the rated brightness of the PA75U. That's not a trivial amount. For that, the list price is less than the LG!

It certainly isn't your only option though...
http://www.projectorcentral.com/projectors.cfm?g=1&hide=0&st=1&mfg=&p=0-700&w=&r=8&br=&ll=&ltg=&t=&db=&dt=&c=&ar=&dvi=&wr=&pjl=&pjw=&pjh=&td=&i=d&is=&sort=pop&sz=15

All of those models are ones which I would strongly consider for home theater use depending on my specific setup.

That said, if I wanted a toy for the kids to play with which I didn't want to see damaged, or I was a person that regularly wanted to carry a projector with me for travelling and I DID travel a lot with need for a projector, or if I wanted to leave the projector on 10+ hours a day, then I might consider the LG or a similar model. But, all of those situations are far and away removed from typical home theater usage. Especially for a good home theater setup with surround sound and the rest.

If your home space is good enough, than it certainly warrants the jump to $800 and the Optoma 131x projector or similar.

So, there is still a lot that you should talk about in regards to what your actual usage and what your specific needs and goals are. There are times where micro projectors make sense, but those needs tend to be very limited IMO.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 11-14-2013, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter

My usage will mainly be for movies and sports. I think the most important aspect for me is picture quality. The projector will be placed in a light controlled room
post #5 of 6 Old 11-15-2013, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter

Can anyone comment on the picture quality of the pa75u vs the benq 770st in a light controlled room?
post #6 of 6 Old 11-16-2013, 08:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1645 Post(s)
Liked: 1197
The 770ST is going to do a significantly better job than the 770st. As will pretty much every other model I've listed in my link above. The bottom line is that the LED Pico projectors don't hold up against the full size DLP models in any area. Contrast, sharpness, optics, build quality, etc. That's ignoring brightness completely.

If your goal is image quality and home theater usage, then skip the toy.
shahhrc likes this.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Lg Pa75u Dlp Home Theater Projector , Benq W770st 3d Ready Dlp Projector 720p Hdtv 16 9 1280x720 Hd 720 13000 1 2500 Lumens Hdmi Usb Vga I

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page