PT-AE4000U banding? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 11-14-2013, 12:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Panasonic PT-AE4000U, coming up on 3 years, it has 1600 hours on it (we don't use it much).

Today I noticed that there are two perfectly vertical segments about a foot wide each on a 10' screen that are slightly darker than the rest of the screen.

Could this be an indication that my projector is failing? Concerned because I don't want to buy a new bulb just to have the thing fail, I'd rather throw that money at a new projector in that case.

However, if the projector is fine I am perfectly happy with it and a new bulb is great.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

-ben
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-15-2013, 09:39 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 20
It doesn't sound like a bulb issue. Maybe it's a panel issue? Are the bands skewed towards one color? If you have a decent camera, try doing a long exposure photo of an all black image. If the bands are skewed towards one color it may indicate a failure of that corresponding panel.
post #3 of 4 Old 11-22-2013, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Turns out it was the screen, moving the projector physically the bands did not move their position on the screen.

Projector people (awesome support) called da-lite. I don't remember this from day 1, I only noticed it recently and I have had it for 3 years. Da-lite said it could be a defect that appeared over time but out of warranty, so they offered 25% off a new screen.

ALSO, in my frustration I got ballsy and blew the dust blobs out. It was actually pretty easy and I got all of them out except for one which isn't too bad.

Anyways, I am not sure it is bad enough that I will buy a new screen, we'll see. I actually feel a lot better knowing it is not the panels and probably won't get much worse than where it is.

-ben
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 11-23-2013, 04:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1642 Post(s)
Liked: 1195
You have a fixed frame screen or some non-tensioned screen?

Call it a lesson learned if you put good money on a non-tensioned screen. They all get waves in the material. It's not a defect, it's a universal fact.

Tensioned screens should never get waves in the material and tensioned screens certainly should not.

If it's something else, I'd love to see a photo!

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Panasonic Pt Ae4000u 1600 Lumen Lcd Home Theater Projector

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page