How do YOU know your projector is aligned perfectly? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 12-03-2013, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 28
A few months back I set up my Optoma Projector and Elitech 110" screen. One thing I have noticed is my picture always seems to be just a tad out of focus, or soft. The only thing I can conclude is that I don't have the projector perfectly aligned with the screen.

Here is what I did to align the screen:
Ceiling mounted the projector
used a bubble level to make sure the projector was even
Measured from the ceiling to the center of the lens
Measured from the right wall (closest) to the center of the lens

For the screen I mounted it so the top of the screen is exactly at the height of the middle of the lens and the middle of the screen is exactly the same distance from the right wall (or left, but same measured wall).

I thought this was a good way to mount it but I just cant seem to get a "perfect" picture. I have messed with all the setting I could in the projector (Optoma HD25-E) and the only thing I can conclude is that maybe I dont have it perfectly even with the screen. How much can the screen deviate from center before noticeably affecting the image? What do you do to make sure its mounted perfectly even?

Kris S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 12-03-2013, 02:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 496 Post(s)
Liked: 415
if you projector is not square to the screen your image will not be square.
Put up the projector slash screen and focus it. Many projectors will not hold focus after several heat/cool cycles.
Many projectors have cheap plastic lenses that won't allow you to focus the entire image.. one areas is sharp and others are not.
Look close at the pixels you should see nice sharp tiny wire like squares that are in focus everywhere on the screen.
Good luck!

Doug
Planar PD8150 with DC4 DMD paired with a Dalite HP 2.8 120"
http://www.airscapesart.com

post #3 of 10 Old 12-03-2013, 03:10 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 39
The Optoma HD25e (and by extension, the HD131Xe, and HD25-LV) suffer from soft focus issues. (If you've got the center in focus, perfect, one or more of the edges is out of focus. If you've got an edge in focus, another edge or part of the picture will be out of focus.)

You can get this fixed, for cost of shipping, while still under warranty by RMAing your projector through Optoma. (I got mine fixed for the same reason. All good now.)

Sony XBR-65X900E, Denon AVR-X2300W, Polk CS20 Center, Polk Monitor 75T Fronts, Polk TSI300 Rears, Power Sound Audio S1500 Subwoofer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 12-03-2013, 08:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by djkms View Post

A few months back I set up my Optoma Projector and Elitech 110" screen. One thing I have noticed is my picture always seems to be just a tad out of focus, or soft. The only thing I can conclude is that I don't have the projector perfectly aligned with the screen.

Here is what I did to align the screen:
Ceiling mounted the projector
used a bubble level to make sure the projector was even
Measured from the ceiling to the center of the lens
Measured from the right wall (closest) to the center of the lens

For the screen I mounted it so the top of the screen is exactly at the height of the middle of the lens and the middle of the screen is exactly the same distance from the right wall (or left, but same measured wall).

I thought this was a good way to mount it but I just cant seem to get a "perfect" picture. I have messed with all the setting I could in the projector (Optoma HD25-E) and the only thing I can conclude is that maybe I dont have it perfectly even with the screen. How much can the screen deviate from center before noticeably affecting the image? What do you do to make sure its mounted perfectly even?

Here are some test patterns I created and gathered over the years to calibrate Projectors and RPTV's from Sony. Display 3x3.gif or 4x4.gif as a tiled desktop background from Windows or OS X, then take a crack at focusing your display. Be warned: Any issues with clarity in portions of the image will instantly become apparent. cool.gif

mappingTestPatterns.zip 53k .zip file
post #5 of 10 Old 12-05-2013, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the patterns! There is obvious out of focus around the edges and the center is crisp. Not a huge problem and I only noticed it with the test patterns...

Kris S
post #6 of 10 Old 12-05-2013, 07:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Measure from the center of the lens out to the edge of the screen and the center. This should form very obvious right triangles knowing the width of your screen. You can also gamble that the room is square enough to measure and base measurements from the walls and then once you know the lens is centered on the screen, then you can center the image and it's perfect. Most rooms are out of square a bit, so verify with the triangular measurement method as well.
post #7 of 10 Old 12-05-2013, 07:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 31
BTW - most of the soft focus problems on our price point projectors is due to cheaper optics if you have any sense at all on setting it up. Things don't get noticeably out of focus with only a slight distance shift at the average projection distance (as in, 1/8" over 12-15' is not enough to significantly blur an image).
post #8 of 10 Old 12-06-2013, 05:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 496 Post(s)
Liked: 415
Quote:

Thanks for the patterns! There is obvious out of focus around the edges and the center is crisp. Not a huge problem and I only noticed it with the test patterns...
You will always see it now you know it.. send it in for repair and be happy!

Doug
Planar PD8150 with DC4 DMD paired with a Dalite HP 2.8 120"
http://www.airscapesart.com

post #9 of 10 Old 12-06-2013, 06:29 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:

I

The top of the screen should be about 8" below the center of the lens. The Optoma screen calculator will show the exact offset distance for your setup.
td
post #10 of 10 Old 12-06-2013, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsondave View Post

The top of the screen should be about 8" below the center of the lens. The Optoma screen calculator will show the exact offset distance for your setup.
td
You're right and I did measure the screen down further. I was just typing from memory since I was at work when I wrote the thread. I did use the calculator for the base of my measurements smile.gif

Kris S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Optoma Hd25e 2800 Ansi Lumens 3d Home Theater Projector , Optoma Hd131xe Dlp Projector 3d , Optoma Hd25 Lv 3d Home Theater Projector

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page