Sanyo PLV-Z4 still going, not sure what I would upgrade to? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 12-12-2013, 03:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I've been firing up the Z4 for 8 years now. Something I didn't plan on happening, but it still works really, really good. In its life it has only seen two bulbs; the original bulb and the replacement bulb that came with the unit as a promotion. I'm not even sure which bulb is in it now, since I've switched back and forth a few times or more. I do have to bump up gamma and open up iris to get enough brightness out of the dimming bulbs, but otherwise the projector works like it did 8 years ago. I've always been extremely satisfied with the color accuracy and content with the black level which looks damn good considering it is older technology. I use it for blu-ray and it is connected to my mac mini so I might watch OTA as well as web content. The video processing seems better than my flatscreen. Having said all of this, obviously I can't be completely satisfied with this aging unit and its 720p panels and its slight screen door effect.

Yet, I'm at all sure what to replace it with. It is on a rear shelf so I must have lens shift. It is in a totally dark room, although unfortunately the walls are white and there is not much i'm allowed to do about that. The only new projector I feel I would be happy with overall is the Epson 5030ub. I wish there were less expensive options. Anyone have some ideas you wouldn't mind sharing? And does anyone else still use a Z4?

Thanks!

Ken
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-12-2013, 11:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Or the Panasonic 8000
post #3 of 4 Old 03-29-2014, 11:49 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I still have mine, and am still on the original bulb (2028 hours, 8 years later). It has been a fabulous projector, but does not get a lot of use.

I am going to drop in the replacement bulb and see if that brightens things up a bit.

I will be looking to upgrade in a year or so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 03-29-2014, 03:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbomb_turk View Post

I still have mine, and am still on the original bulb (2028 hours, 8 years later). It has been a fabulous projector, but does not get a lot of use.

I am going to drop in the replacement bulb and see if that brightens things up a bit.

I will be looking to upgrade in a year or so.

When you do put in the new lamp I would run it in economy mode for the first 500 or so hours until it starts to dim a bit otherwise you could cook the blue LCD panel and the Blue polariser and take a couple thousand hours or so off its life span. The quickest way to cook a well used LCD panel is to put in a fresh and powerful UV producing lamp.- Bohanna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Epson 5030ub 2d 3d 1080p 3lcd Projector , Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector , Sanyo Plv Z4

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page