Please help: Which projector setup would you pick? (pics included) - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 12-20-2013, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1122 Post(s)
Liked: 364
So I pretty much have a few projectors nailed down, but my choice really depends on what setup I picked based upon the room. I have two choices: Option 1 gives me a larger screen (120"), but I'm unable to have the center channel vertical or the tweeter at ear level (There is concrete behind the drywall so I can't cut into and place the center channel into the wall). It also limits the number of available seating due to the width of the space. For this scenario, I would probably go with the Benq 1080ST that could be placed in front of the soffit. This would allow the projector to be away from the seating and not be heard. It might also look more pleasing to the eye as it would almost go unnoticed since it would be in front of the soffit.

Option 2 gives me a smaller screen (Max 98"), but I can have the center channel vertical and tweeter at ear height. I can accomplish this by cutting into the drywall behind the screen and setting the speaker into the drywall. With this option I plan on making an acoustic transparent screen using spandex. I am able to have more seating in place as well. With this option, I would go with the Benq 1070 or Optoma HD131xw, and these projectors would have to be mounted above the seating area.

Here is the picture of Option 1. Click images to enlarge:

Here is Option 2:

In this photo you can get a better view of how the seating could work.

Thoughts from people? I would love to hear people's opinions! Thanks!

Speakers: Fronts- JBL 230, Center- JBL 235C, Surrounds: Fluance XLBP
Sub: PSA 15V
Processing: Onkyo 676
Video: BenQ 1080ST
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-23-2013, 08:14 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I would likely go with the larger screen. My recent setup actually uses the BenQ W1080ST and a similar speaker setup to your first picture.

The only thing that may sway me is the difference in number of seats available.
post #3 of 9 Old 12-23-2013, 08:20 PM

Attached my pictures for reference.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 12-23-2013, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scraejtp View Post

Attached my pictures for reference.

Wow. That's a nice setup. See I don't have stadium seating like that and the back of my room is not nearly as deep as yours. I agree with your previous statement. The only thing holding me back is the number of seating. Ugh.

post #5 of 9 Old 12-24-2013, 11:24 AM

So what are the dimensions of the room? Planned seating arrangements for each configuration?

My first room could only hold 3 recliners. I also had two ottomans that folded into chairs, which really would have only been comfortable for children. The setup was still used by my wife and I all the time and was well worth it, but of course was very limited with any guests. I would prefer to have a minimum of 4 seats, so my wife and I could sit as well as another couple

My previous setup was a similar speaker/screen setup as shown above, with a 115" screen, but in a much smaller room. (11'x13')
post #6 of 9 Old 12-24-2013, 02:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Option 1 with a short-throw projector and better seating placement. What is the distance between front wall (screen location) and ceiling beam?
post #7 of 9 Old 12-25-2013, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VideoNavi View Post

Option 1 with a short-throw projector and better seating placement. What is the distance between front wall (screen location) and ceiling beam?

Thanks for your thoughts. I believe the distance is about 7 feet from the beam to the wall. So you think going with that wall and then a projector, such as the Benq 1080ST is my best bet?

post #8 of 9 Old 01-18-2014, 07:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Maybe you have made your projector selection already. The BenQ W1080ST needs to be 6' to 7'3" from the screen to projector lens for 120" inch image. I'd say that is perfect and you can hide the cables behind the beam if not doing in-wall wiring.
post #9 of 9 Old 01-18-2014, 08:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VideoNavi View Post

Maybe you have made your projector selection already. The BenQ W1080ST needs to be 6' to 7'3" from the screen to projector lens for 120" inch image. I'd say that is perfect and you can hide the cables behind the beam if not doing in-wall wiring.

I have made my selection! I'm going with the Benq 1080ST, but I have to hold out for a while due to the wife and I needing some more important things for the house, i.e. new couch, drapes, rug, etc. Just have to be patient...

But yeah, this projector works wonders for my room as it will sit right in front of the soffit and be well hidden. It's not the biggest room by any means, but it's a nice setup for my first house and theater room.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W1070 3d Ready Dlp Projector 1080p Hdtv , Optoma Hd131xw Full 3d 1080p 2500 Lu Hdmi Wh , Benq W1080st 1080p 3d Short Throw Dlp Home Theater Projector

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page