BenQ-W1070 - Comparable Projector - Futuristic - up to $2000 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 12-26-2013, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hello Guys ....

I went through some reviews and ratings online and zeroed W1070 as my media room projector. Now reading more..i realized that i can get more for a little bigger projector budget than W1070. Please help me make decision between following projectors

Our needs and media room condition- 

1080P videos - Mostly online steaming videos from netflix, hulu, amazon, youtube etc and also bluray & DVD movies (So AR is 16:9)

Easy to stream videos from laptop, bluray player, tablets, phones etc . (I can use a HDMI switch)

Media Room is - 19' x 14' with 9' ceiling (Big window and stairs - so some ambient light is there) 

It would be good to reduce the wire clutter and get help from wireless features. (Wifi or wireless HDMI)

Good to project using MHL - Mobile connectivity to steam something from mobile devices like phones/tablets.

Replacement lamp cost should be lower. 

No Gaming at all

Little bit of 3D should be good to have - not critical

DIY screen to match needs and ambiance ???? working on this project as well to find out screen specs. can not do it until pj is finalized.

1. Epson Home Cinema 2030: 1080p resolution, 2000 ANSI lumens and 15,000:1 contrast ratio, - MHL connectivity ($999)

clear.gif 2. Epson Home Cinema 3020: 1080p resolution, 2300 ANSI lumens and 40,000:1 contrast ratioclear.gif ($1599)

3. Epson Home Cinema 3020e: 1080p resolution, 2300 ANSI lumens and 40,000:1 contrast ratioclear.gif ($1899, Wireless HDMI)

4. BenQ W1500: 1080p resolution, 2200 ANSI lumens and 10000:1 contrast ratioclear.gif (Wireless Setup)

5. BenQ W1070: 1080p resolution, 2000 ANSI lumens and 10000:1 contrast ratio, Vertical shift and top rated ($799)clear.gif 

6. Optoma HD25-LV: 1080p resolution, 3200 ANSI lumens and 20000:1 contrast ratioclear.gif ($1070)

I know all of them have their own pros and cons. It would be easy for an expert to choose one which is good for above needs and also has some futuristic features to be able to last for few yrs. I can buy W1070 and be happy with picture quality but dont know if it would still be a good choice after year or so. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 12-26-2013, 01:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1550 Post(s)
Liked: 1145
The W1070 is a good choice.

Unless your room is properly painted - dark walls, ceiling, carpet, then a projector with better contrast won't do much.

You DO need a good audio system with any projector, so simply having MHL built into the projector (stupid IMO) isn't the way to go. Run a wire. I mean, if you can run a wire for $500 (including installation/drywall repair/paint) or you can spend $800 more and go wireless, then RUN A WIRE ALWAYS! In fact, run enough wires, and run them properly, so you never have to worry about putting a wire in again.

The lens shift on the W1070 sucks, the zoom range sucks, but if you plan carefully, then it works fine.

The 6x color wheel is a nice feature of the W1070 which others don't have. Obviously, the LCD models don't have a color wheel since they are LCD models. But, the 2030 is notably soft by most accounts. Not as good as the W1070. The 3020 is a solid model, but seems pricey when it is very similar in performance to what the W1070 delivers. The W1500 has a bit more brightness and offers wireless HDMI which you should NOT USE!!! So, why bother?

I'm really not knocking any of the other models, but I think I would stick with the W1070 as one of the best entry level projectors we have seen ever.

In a dedicated theater, I would spend more for a better projector. The Epson 5030, the JVC RS46. But, in a entry-level, non-dedicated space? The W1070 is a great go-to model. If Optoma has worked out the kinks with the HD131, that is also a great model to use.

I expect the W1070 to be a good projector for 5-7 years for most people who use it with a less critical eye.

For 'future' compatibility, forget it. The next generation of projectors in 3-5 years will be 4K/UHD projectors with higher resolution. Nothing you listed supports that. You can get wireless HDMI products for $200 from Amazon which will work fine if you must go down that road. But, for MHL, Airplay, etc. just buy an external box, connect it to your A/V receiver, then connect your A/V receiver to the projector.

A good projector should be treated like a decent computer monitor. It is only there to provide video to your screen. No audio, no special features, nothing else. Just the best package for video delivery. For audio you use good speakers and an A/V receiver, for streaming, use a PC or a Roku, or AppleTV. For wireless, use Airplay or a MHL product (I'm sure they are out there). For BEST quality, use a Blu-ray Disc player.

Oh yeah, that's a serious note: Streaming HD from Netflix/Amazon, etc. is a joke. It runs around 3mbs. Broadcast HDTV runs at about 18mbs. Blu-ray Disc averages around 29mbs. That's close to 3 times as much information in a Blu-ray Disc 1080p encode compared to a streaming encode, and they are BOTH using the same compression scheme (MP4 versions). If you have complaints about the quality of the video you are getting, always be sure to consider that you may be feeding the projector garbage in. You will want to consider getting a cheap Sony or Panasonic Blu-ray Disc player to really get the most out of whatever setup you end up using.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #3 of 18 Old 12-26-2013, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you AV_Integrated. Kudos !!

You answered pretty much all my doubts. I will go for W1070 with some money spent into paint and running good wires to PJ and airplay/MHL and HDMI switches. As far as sound system goes ...i am considering one of the following two options -- . Let me know if you know of anything similar or better option for sound system package.

Onkyo HT-S3500 5.1-Channel Home Theater Speaker/Receiver Package - $$299

Bose® CineMate® GS Series II Digital Home Theater Speaker System - $539

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 12-26-2013, 02:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I will beat you if you buy Bose. biggrin.gif

This is better than the Bose system:
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKHTS3500/Onkyo-HT-S3500-5.1-Channel-Home-Theater-Package/1.html

That's the HT-5300 system.

If you do have $500 to spend on audio, then there are real upgraded systems to consider...
This:
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/DENAVRE300/DENON-AVR-E300-5.1-3D-Networking-Receiver-AirPlay/1.html
or (better) this:
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/YAMHTR5064BL/YAMAHA-HTR-5064-7.1-A/V-Receiver-like-RX-V571/1.html

with this:
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/BOSMCS90BA/BOSTON-ACOUSTICS-Horizon-MCS90-5.1-8in-100w-Sub-Speaker-System-NEW/1.html
or (better) this:
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/BOSSWSHTSBA/BOSTON-ACOUSTICS-SoundWare-S-5.1-Channel-Speaker-System-Black-NEW/1.html

They have other options as well, and keeping your eye out and ASKING for links in audio specific forums is a great thing to do. Sometimes some fantastic deals pop up out there and should be grabbed quickly.

FOR WIRING: Make sure you don't buy premium cables from some place. Figure out the length you need, then get some wiring from Monoprice and put it in place. Do NOT run Redmere cables by themselves behind walls if the run is difficult. Instead, run 22AWG HDMI cable and run multiple pieces of cat-6 cable. The cat cabling is to help protect you against future needs.

Also consider any other cabling or wiring you may want in place or any other features you may want.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #5 of 18 Old 12-26-2013, 10:58 PM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post

FOR WIRING: Make sure you don't buy premium cables from some place. Figure out the length you need, then get some wiring from Monoprice and put it in place.

Thank you so very much for your two postings, this also helped me a lot to take the right decisions !!

I was about to buy a fancy 20 meter hdmi, a white one with some over the top attachments, for the price USD 300. Bcause that one was a part of an special offer of that 1070 and a screen.
Now, I will instead buy that 20 m cable from a trusted, big Norwegian retail store, at twenty bucks. The total I will pay for my BenQ, the screen and the hdmi, about 400 usd less, I still cannot understand why that high tech small company can have such high prices?

They would however give me a basic professional video calibration of my Benq w 1070, but is this really worth the premium price, isnt this something I will find easy here ? I just read the soundandvision.com fine review of Benq, there we can read in detail how they set up w1070 to perfom best.
post #6 of 18 Old 12-26-2013, 11:17 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you once again ,, kudos
post #7 of 18 Old 12-27-2013, 09:14 AM

You will love the W1070, I got one in September and fell in love with it immediately. Great crisp picture, bright and fantastic color for a sub 1,000 unit. I replaced a very aging Pany 900u with convergence issues. No more of that with DLP, I'm sold on this technology. Just a great little projector at a price you won't feel bad replacing in a few years when the 4k's come down in price. I have a dedicated light controlled room with medium colored surfaces, 106" screen and it works great. I smile every time I turn it on. Enjoy it !!!
post #8 of 18 Old 12-27-2013, 10:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guslogie View Post

Thank you once again ,, kudos
No problem at all...

Please, before you buy anything at all, feel free to ask questions on this (or other) forums and get options and opinions.

For example, while I'm a strong proponent of Monoprice HDMI cables (inexpensive), I'm also a strong proponent of the Chief RPMAU universal projector mount (expensive). In my experience (not my opinion), this mount is the best that has ever been made for projectors. It is a clear cut above the rest including the Peerless PRG universal mount which some people swear by, but I can tell you first hand is not even nearly as well built as the Chief.

They also have a 'mini-Elite' mount which is just as well built and will work with the W1070.

There is a lot to consider in 'home theater', and if it is your home then it certainly is worth doing right, even if you have to do the work yourself to get it done right.

post #9 of 18 Old 12-27-2013, 02:47 PM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Sorry to interupt, but this long hdmi, can I avoid it?
That is - my receiver is twelve meter from my projector,
But my Pana 500 with dual hdmi, stands only two meter away. I am not yet capable of thinking straight, maybe I can use a two m hdmi I already own, instead of buying a new one ?
post #10 of 18 Old 12-27-2013, 07:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dryasanne View Post

But my Pana 500 with dual hdmi, stands only two meter away. I am not yet capable of thinking straight, maybe I can use a two m hdmi I already own, instead of buying a new one ?
You should use the shortest HDMI cable that you can to connect your projector to your A/V receiver. If you can relocate your equipment closer to the projector, that is better, but the total distance needed should be minimized if at all possible.

In a home theater setup, the LAST place your A/V gear should go is at the front of the room.

post #11 of 18 Old 12-27-2013, 07:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I don't think it's that horrible to have the AV gear in the front. It just shouldn't be readily visible.

HDMI runs of 12 m isn't that big of an issue, but you'll be using a more expensive Redmere cable to do it reliably. Long HDMI runs were more of a problem a few years ago, but new cables have largely fixed it.
post #12 of 18 Old 12-27-2013, 07:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 84
You won't go wrong with the W1070, especially for < $800.

As for audio, here's a nice Klipsch speaker package for $135 shipped to your doors. Spend the money you've saved on a decent receiver. I just got the Yamaha RXV673 for $300 for the living room and it's a very nice budget receiver.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?sdtid=6588502&EdpNo=4553266&sku=K55-1100&SRCCODE=LINKSHARE&cm_mmc_o=-ddCjC1bELltzywCjC-d2CjCdwwp&utm_source=Linkshare&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=lw9MynSeamY&AffiliateID=lw9MynSeamY-GzamlyZnMwIgDKUZFS9vVw
post #13 of 18 Old 12-27-2013, 07:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPS13 View Post

I don't think it's that horrible to have the AV gear in the front. It just shouldn't be readily visible.

HDMI runs of 12 m isn't that big of an issue, but you'll be using a more expensive Redmere cable to do it reliably. Long HDMI runs were more of a problem a few years ago, but new cables have largely fixed it.
Redmere cables are not CL2 rated at this time for in-wall use. They also use ACTIVE components on the ends which have been known to fail and can't be replaced. They are a very poor recommendation for anyone who needs to run a wire inside a wall which is not accessible.

Inside wall cables should be 22 AWG HDMI cables and multiple cat-5e/6 cables which can have HDBaseT baluns used with them in the future as necessary.

post #14 of 18 Old 12-28-2013, 09:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post

Redmere cables are not CL2 rated at this time for in-wall use. They also use ACTIVE components on the ends which have been known to fail and can't be replaced. They are a very poor recommendation for anyone who needs to run a wire inside a wall which is not accessible.

Inside wall cables should be 22 AWG HDMI cables and multiple cat-5e/6 cables which can have HDBaseT baluns used with them in the future as necessary.

That's why you fish everything through a conduit. I agree on the cat-5e/6 cables since they're cheap to put in there and will probably be of some use in the future.
post #15 of 18 Old 12-29-2013, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter

Is there a device like HDMI switch, in which one can connect multiple hdmi sources to direct video to projector and audio to sound system?
post #16 of 18 Old 12-30-2013, 06:07 PM

^ for that requirement, you would be better off with a dedicated AV receiver, than a switch.. the AV receiver will take around 4 HDMi, VGA, Composites, and all your audio connections including spdif and allow you the versatility and power to switch all those sources and especially audio with just a flick of remote.. although new AV receivers are costly, it would be better to buy a used one, so you can get more higher end features and more power for speakers for the same price as a new less powerful one.

besides almost every AV reciever made in the last 2 years is pretty much full on features as a standard.. the difference is mostly the audio and its certifications.. a 100W per channel system would be great even for a large basement or a living room...

newer AV receivers how ever will have 4K hdmi, which would future proof them for the next 5 years atleast till 4k catches up in mainstream, but that is not a big benefit for the hundreds of dollars of premium when you would also have to spend over 3K $ by then to buy a new projector as well..
post #17 of 18 Old 01-17-2014, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dryasanne View Post

Use a powered HDMI extender, the ones on MonoPrice work great (be sure to use Cat6 STP) I've also run a 25' heavy HDMI with excellent results, can't tell I'm running a long cable. (Bluejeanscables)
post #18 of 18 Old 01-17-2014, 12:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Make sure to test the W1070 for rainbows & you buy it from a place that allows returns.
You don't want to be stuck with seeing rainbows like this guy.
https://www.avsforum.com/t/1512016/benq-w1070-rainbow-effect#post_24213623

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W1070 3d Ready Dlp Projector 1080p Hdtv , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 2030 3lcd Projector , Epson V11h502020 Powerlite Home Cinema 3020e 2d And 3d 1080p Wireless Home Theater Projector , Epson V11h501020 Powerlite Home Cinema 3020 2d And 3d Home Theater Projector , Optoma Hd25 Lv 3d Home Theater Projector

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page