Optima HD25LV, HD25e to bright? What are my options to lower picture brightness FL? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 01-06-2014, 09:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hi everyone,

This is my first post here on AVS, and my first projector. I've been researching and narrowed down the projectors that I want to the Optima HD25LV, Optima HD25e or  my last choice the BenQ W1070. Input Lag, picture quality for gaming and movies were my main sellers for these.

I'm writing in this thread because it's boiled down to these three projectors(or two), but what is making me hesitant on the Optima, is whether or not it will be too Bright??

[A little background on were the projector will be going]

Using the projection calculator pro app(on optima's web page and other places), I am getting a brightness in the 40FL range, more than double the suggested THX level. That is, my man cave were I would like to mount the projector has a screen to back wall depth of 13 feet, and 8' tall. So going with a 100-110 diagnol screen, I am in this higher brightness. I would need a minium 17' throw to get into the suggested brightness range and wanted screen size.  As far as ambient light in the room, the room is in the man basement, with two covered window, Dark brown carpoet and flat mustard colored walls. Light is for the most part controllable. I will be using the projector for Mainly hardcore Gaming on my super computer and consoles, with the occasional blue ray movie of course.

With this in mind what do you or who have the HD25e or LV think? With a brightness in the 40fL range, will this be to bright or give me a unpleasant washed picture? What are my options to help lower brightness to optimally get me in the 30 if not 20FL range?

a) can I lower brightness settings?

b) I plan to DIY and frame a screen on cloth, or paint on plywood, should I go with perhaps a grey instead of white?

c) Its been suggested that perhaps ND Glass filter would help. Which would act like sunglasses in darkening while not effecting image quality ? DOES anyone have knowledge on these or may no a size or what I should look into getting? LENS SIZE:?

d) Does it Sound like I should Go with the Optima HD25e? (the calculator still says my screen at this throw will be to bright though)

e) DOES anyone use the Optima 25e or LV at a 12' throw?? How does the picture look?

I believe the BenQ W1070 would be a better choice with its faster color wheel(no rainbow effect) and fit for my smaller room. BUT the images/comparisons I have seen between the Optima's and the BenQ, have me leaning towards the Optima and If I ever moved the optima projector to a bigger room with more ambient light in the future, I know it would still perform great.

So I suppose I am really asking is there a way to get a 100" screen with a 12' throw that isn't Super bright with the Optima HD25e or LV. IF NOT, Can SOMEONE just slap me in the face and tell me I'm screwed and should get the BENQ W1070.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-07-2014, 03:34 PM

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Read this link: http://www.projectorcentral.com/optoma_hd25_home_theater_projector_review.htm

My old projector was putting out about 550 lumens in Eco mode in a theater dark room. My new projector is outputting about 800 lumens with a new bulb. It's down to about 600 now. With the HD25/HD25e I'll probably have to use a ND filter until the bulb ages.
post #3 of 3 Old 01-07-2014, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looks like I'm shopping for an ND2 glass filter . Would you or anyone know what I where I should get one? Or even the size lens on the optima so I can get a filter larger or close to the projector lens size.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Optoma Hd25e 2800 Ansi Lumens 3d Home Theater Projector , Optoma Hd25 Lv 3d Home Theater Projector , Benq W1070 3d Ready Dlp Projector 1080p Hdtv

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page