Need Newbie Advice - Mitsu HD1000 needs lamp - Buy generic lamp, buy OEM lamp, or upgrade to a new $1k DLP? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-15-2014, 06:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I wonder if I could get the advice of a few people who know more than I do. I've read a bunch of (sometimes conflicting) info here and elsewhere but it seems to be leaving me even more confused than when I began.

I have a Mitsubishi HD1000 that was in my house when I moved in four years ago. I am an avid audiophile but am not particularly a videophile, and I find the Mitsu's picture sufficient for my needs in a dark room. However the room is bright enough by day that even with the shades drawn the picture washes out significantly. (Most of my watching is at night so this is an annoyance but not an absolute deal-breaker.) The projector is now flashing the "replace lamp soon" warning, which has led me to my current dilemma.

My initial thought was to buy a cheap replacement lamp (about $69). But then I read that the Chinese bulbs are less bright than the OEM ones (and, as I noted above, the brightness is my only concern with my Mitsu already.) So this made me lean toward an OEM lamp assembly, which is $200. But that in turn is 25% of the price of replacing the entire unit. So now I have three choices...

1) $69 aftermarket lamp - are they as bad as some people say in terms of brightness? Longevity?
2) $200 OEM lamp - worth the extra money?
3) New low-end ($800-$1000) DLP - will this be significantly brighter than what I have now on a "real world" basis? Also, given that my Mitsu has a centered lens, are there any budget projectors that will work without my having to relocate the mount (very difficult in this particular ceiling)? I read that some Epson projectors can compensate for lens location, but they don't seem to be the budget projector of choice on this forum. (BenQ and Optoma keep being mentioned.)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-15-2014, 06:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Maybe buy a bare Osram lamp and replace that? Not sure which one that HD1000 takes.

Or Newegg has the Mitsu HC4000 for pretty cheap (below $700), or the Mitsu HC7900DW is $799 if you want to try out 3D. Both aren't super light cannons, but I'd think they'd be just a bit brighter than your HD1000.

That said, something like a Benq W1070 is going to offer a little more light in a calibrated setup.
post #3 of 5 Old 01-15-2014, 06:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 489 Post(s)
Liked: 403
If this is the original lamp and things still look fine at night, write down the number of hours on a piece of tape stuck to the projector and reset the counter. The Mitsubishi lamps last many times that of the 3000 lamp counter. If it is not bright enough at night and you are not looking to upgrade for other resons, then buy the OEM lamp. provantage.com should have that one in stock as I think it is the same as my HC3000 lamp which they carry direct from Mitsubishi for just under $300.

Doug
Planar PD8150 with DC4 DMD paired with a Dalite HP 2.8 120"
http://www.airscapesart.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 01-15-2014, 07:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thank you for this information. If there has been any change in brightness in a dark room I have not noticed it. Is there any risk to resetting the counter and continuing to use the lamp? The owners manual claims that there is a risk of "explosion" if I do so - is that just a scare tactic? Also, I don't know for sure if the lamp is genuine or not since the projector was there when I moved in. Should I check this before resetting the counter and leaving the lamp as-is?
post #5 of 5 Old 01-15-2014, 07:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 489 Post(s)
Liked: 403
you can not really tell looking at the lamp. The risk would be if not an OEM. The Mitsubishi lamps are the champ of the long life game. If you are worried, buy the OEM and put the one you have in there on the self for backup. Even if it is OEM, a new lamp will breath new life into the image, it has lost light over time you just can not tell as it is a slow process.

Doug
Planar PD8150 with DC4 DMD paired with a Dalite HP 2.8 120"
http://www.airscapesart.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Mitsubishi Hd1000u , Mitsubishi Hc7900dw Home Theater 3d Projector , Benq W1070 3d Ready Dlp Projector 1080p Hdtv

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page