JVC DNA-HD1 vs. BENQ w1070 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 01-16-2014, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hello,

I've been reading a lot, but I'm not ever owning a projector, I'm unsure which of the above models to obtain.

I have a 14x12 room, with 1 window.  This will basically be a living room projector. 

I can get the JVC HD1 for about $500.  This PJ is pretty old, so I'm unsure if the quality will still be worth it over a brand new w1070 for about $800.

Any help would be appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 01-17-2014, 07:14 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I'm very familiar with the HD1, as my in-laws have one.

It will absolutely blow the W1070 out of the water on contrast and black levels, and the JVC panels seem to be stout and last a long long time. No 3D obviously, and it is not the brightest thing in the world. 700 lumens is doable on I believe high lamp and calibrated, but as the lamp ages the 2D on their 120" 1.3 gain setup is pretty dim with even small amounts of ambient light (they like a little, I'm not a fan personally because the projector is all about high contrast and good blacks, not ambient light handling).

The W1070 will do higher brightness and 3D. More difficult placement than the HD1.

The real negative of the HD1 is the $$$$ bulbs and their short life. I think my in-laws are getting about 1200-1800 hrs per lamp in low lamp mode. They probably do more bulb strikes than the more careful enthusiasts in this forum, so that contributes to the low lamp life, but it's not completely out of the norm on the early JVCs which were notorious for really low lamp life. Genuine OEM lamps are approaching what you'd pay for the projector...

It's a 2D beast compared to anything on the low end now though.

I am curious to see how my Mitsubishi HC7900DW (incoming) is going to compare for 2D with the HD1. I'm betting the HC7900 is going to have a slight brightness edge, while the HD1 will have a slight black level edge but I guess I'll find out soon enough.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Mitsubishi Hc7900dw Home Theater 3d Projector , Benq W1070 3d Ready Dlp Projector 1080p Hdtv

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page