PowerLite 485W by Epson - Ultra Short Throw for bright T.V. anywhere. - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #31 of 74 Old 05-21-2014, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Contrast ratio. The blacks will look blacker, and you should get more detail in darker scenes (shadow detail). Though mine looks great now, and much better than the "1000:1" LCD pj's I used to own. Let's just say for most viewers the differences between this pj and the TIP TOP bragged on machines will be subtle i.e. you really won't miss the difference. The brightness of the picture actually makes observable contrast very realistic, regardless of the numbers.

Joe -----

The harder it is to tell the difference, the less difference it makes.

"I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude." -- Thomas Jefferson, translated from Latin

Also translated as "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery" 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 74 Old 05-21-2014, 11:43 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the explanation. I could also just use my stereo for sound and get an HDMI switch correct instead of a soundbar?
post #33 of 74 Old 05-21-2014, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Yes. And the 585 has two HDMI inputs, so you might be able to feed the sound separately to your stereo from two sources and skip the switch. I remember HDMI switches being kind of expensive. Perhaps an upgrade to an HDMI switching Receiver.

Joe -----

"I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude." -- Thomas Jefferson, translated from Latin

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 74 Old 05-21-2014, 11:53 AM

post #35 of 74 Old 05-23-2014, 08:01 PM

Just ordered the 485W now i need to order a screen. Im excited about this smile.gif
post #36 of 74 Old 05-23-2014, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Congratulations. My first convert. I can't wait to hear what you think of the resolution and contrast ratio. I'm watching right now. House of Cards. That switch looks like a bargain, and with great reviews.

Joe -----

post #37 of 74 Old 05-24-2014, 02:53 PM

I noticed this is 16:10 format. Should i be looking for a 16:10 screen or is 16:9 ok? 100" maximum correct?
post #38 of 74 Old 05-24-2014, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I bought a 16 x 9 screen. The 2 inch velvet border covers the difference.

Joe -----

post #39 of 74 Old 05-24-2014, 03:17 PM

An 109" 16:10 would be to big correct?
post #40 of 74 Old 05-24-2014, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I doubt it. It would probably be great. But you just need to be sure you can sit far enough to avoid seeing the pixels.

Joe -----

post #41 of 74 Old 05-24-2014, 03:26 PM

Im about 15ft away. Would you do the 100" 16:9 or 109" 16:10? This projector is only rated to 100" though right?
post #42 of 74 Old 05-24-2014, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I just actually looked up where the focus adjustment was, as it was good enough for me (perfect) at the factory setting. I just experimented with it. I pulled the pj back from the screen to get the picture up to 109" easily, and actually probably a fair amount more (maybe 6 or 7 inches wider on each side). It stayed focused without adjustment. And adjustment didn't/couldn't improve it.

I can say that some of you eagle eyes would probably bitch about the visible pixels from 15 feet on a 109" screen. I would be fine with it, but many golden eyes probably wouldn't. Though I do have good distance vision.

The frick'n focus lever is actually behind the air filter door where you can't find it. And it sure doesn't do a lot. In the table mount configuration, all the way down is sharpest, on the 100 or the 109 size. Lifting the lever up just fuzzes it out to a surprisingly slight degree. Some might even us it to defocus slightly to merge the pixels, which is a trick from the old days. But the grid lines are pretty darned subtle/skinny on these new chips, so I prefer the sharp focus.

if you are at 15 feet, I think 100" will be enough, but I also love a huge screen, and the pj is BRIGHT, so it won't be colossal fail to go with the bigger screen, but it depends on your vision/tolerance etc. If you are trapped and can't move back, it would be safer to stay with the 100". Also, they swell up when you get them in the house so any screen will probably be bigger than you expect subjectively. biggrin.gif

There are 4 test patterns in the settings in the menu that let you get the pj squared up nicely.

Joe -----

post #43 of 74 Old 05-24-2014, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I edited the last post about 4 times, so make sure you see it in it's final form.

Joe -----

post #44 of 74 Old 05-24-2014, 06:44 PM

Thanks this is tough decision now. I can go back to 16 -17 ft max with couch the room is 19 x19. 109 " might be sweet though i always go for "Big". Oh and im 20/30 vision.
post #45 of 74 Old 05-24-2014, 07:10 PM

And thanks for your effort with checking details etc i appreciate your help with this...heres another question for you. The bottom of the screen will be about 6" above the projector . The projector will ge about 23 " off the floor..is that going to work? Isnt the sceen supposed to be so many inches up above the projector? I have 92" floor to ceiling. I might have to go the 100" route. There is also a 106" option at 16:9 which is 57" height vs the 63" height on the 109" at 16:10.
post #46 of 74 Old 05-26-2014, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Depends on the size of the screen, because that determines the throw, which determines the height of the image due to the extreme angle. Locating the screen on the wall is the LAST STEP. Get the pj set up and projecting the size image you want, and then put the screen where the image is.

The bottom of my image on my 100" screen is about 11" from the top of the pj. If you went with the larger image, I don't know what the result will be.

Joe -----

post #47 of 74 Old 10-03-2014, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I researched to figure out when they were going to have an ultra-short throw pj like this with full HD resolution. Found out they discontinued this pj (WOW) and essentially the same pj is now about $700 more. They must have sold like hotcakes. There's a lesson in here for both manufacturers and buyers.

Joe -----

post #48 of 74 Old 10-06-2014, 12:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHouse View Post
I researched to figure out when they were going to have an ultra-short throw pj like this with full HD resolution. Found out they discontinued this pj (WOW) and essentially the same pj is now about $700 more. They must have sold like hotcakes. There's a lesson in here for both manufacturers and buyers.
Looks like you can still pickup a refurbished one from Epson directly for $699 with free ground shipping: http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/j...u=V11H454020-N I had been on the fence but at this point I jumped on it! It comes with a 2 year warranty through Epson which seems to be the same as what you get with a new one and with the replacement lamps only being $79 direct from Epson it's really a steal for an ultra short throw projector like this!
post #49 of 74 Old 10-09-2014, 07:01 AM

Liked: 0
Has anyone compared this to a short throw projector in 1080P resolution? I'm considering getting one of these, and I really like the super short throw, but I don't know if I will dislike the resolution. My main use will be gaming, with occasional movies, and sports. I'm comparing it mainly to the optoma GT1080, and maybe the BenQ W1080ST. I'm looking to get about a 110" diagonal picture.

Edit: Also,with the included mount, can the projector be mounted far enough back to get a 110" screen, or does it need modifications, or a replacement? Projectorcentral tool says the lens need to be 1'3" from the wall for that. It seems a little short from the pictures here, but I have nothing else to go on.

Last edited by bigpolar; 10-09-2014 at 07:32 AM.
post #50 of 74 Old 10-09-2014, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I think I compared my 1080 pj to this one earlier in the thread. There is a difference, but not an incredible or even noticeable difference for 98% of people. It still looks very HD, and the pixel structure doesn't show up if you are 12 feet back from the screen. Also, I don't think the detail in gaming is that demanding. The max screen size for the pj design is 100". You may lose focus trying to back it away from the wall. The focus mechanism is completely rudimentary and it comes essentially prefocused for the 100" screen.

You will find the lumen output great for gaming, as in my experience the scenes are often too dark on a dim projector.

Joe -----

post #51 of 74 Old 10-09-2014, 08:20 PM

Quote:
You may lose focus trying to back it away from the wall. The focus mechanism is completely rudimentary and it comes essentially prefocused for the 100" screen.
Thanks for the info. I really don't want to lose too much of my screen width, so I'll probably go another way. It sounded perfect right up to that point though.
post #52 of 74 Old 10-09-2014, 09:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

OK, but if you saw one, you'd buy one. I was looking at it up close tonight. It is amazing how tiny/narrow the grid lines have become on the newish chips. Have to squint to see them at 1'.

Joe -----

post #53 of 74 Old 01-08-2015, 05:48 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
OK, but if you saw one, you'd buy one. I was looking at it up close tonight. It is amazing how tiny/narrow the grid lines have become on the newish chips. Have to squint to see them at 1'.
Did you get a chance to compare the 485w and 585w? What do you think? worth the price difference? For SHTs & Gggles I looked at the refurb 485w and found a New in Box 585w for around $100 more. Worth it in your eyes? (before reading your post was about to buy the BenQ 1075 for about the same price. Already have a 100" screen).
post #54 of 74 Old 01-31-2015, 08:26 AM

Quote:
I pulled the pj back from the screen to get the picture up to 109" easily, and actually probably a fair amount more (maybe 6 or 7 inches wider on each side). It stayed focused without adjustment. And adjustment didn't/couldn't improve it.
Quote:

5. At ~22" from the wall, it seems we should we get a 109" inch screen. However, if we find ourselves in a situation where we can put the projector further away from the wall, would it make sense to get a bigger screen?
Answer: That depends on the amount of ambient light you are intending to try to overcome. Even 3100 lumens (knocked down for adjustments and such) can wash out in a light/white/bright room in the daytime. Do a lumen calculation for your screen size to see what you can get. If you can achieve 50+ lumens on your screen, you should be pretty safe. And there are always drapes and such.
What about larger image size, would it be possible to get 130", 140" or even 150" ?
Or that would be extremely out of focus, or just too dim ?

I'm between Epson 485 and Sony VPL-SW536 (with specs up to 130")

Last edited by s0n1x; 01-31-2015 at 08:32 AM.
post #55 of 74 Old 01-31-2015, 09:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Interesting.. Wonder if a 1080p. version plus black screen is a legit replacement for living room flat screen TV's..

Insert pithy comment here
post #56 of 74 Old 02-01-2015, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverSide View Post
Interesting.. Wonder if a 1080p. version plus black screen is a legit replacement for living room flat screen TV's..
Mine is now. I go up stairs and watch the 133" 1080 picture about once or twice a month now. Sure it's bigger and better, but not so much better that I actually notice I'm missing anything when I watch TV, sports and movies the other 99% of the time. Of course, if you have golden eye syndrome or some other psychiatric affliction, you may never be satisfied with anything. You may even lose sleep. But show anyone other than the afflicted this set-up and they'll swear it's a 100" flat panel.

As for trying to stretch it to a huge size, you'll probably lose focus, saturation and contrast. Which is not what a golden eye typically wants.

Joe -----

post #57 of 74 Old 03-10-2015, 10:00 AM

Hello again! Im still using the 485w and had a concern. Every time the color changes i hear a noise..kind of like a grinding noise..especially when the color goes from black to bright. Is this normal?
post #58 of 74 Old 08-09-2016, 09:41 AM

After stalking this thread, I bought a 485wi off eBay. It's used but the price was cheap enough to take the gamble. I'm really hoping this works the way JHouse advertised. I'm not expecting miracles, just looking for a short throw pj that project's a very bright 100" image. The pj actually just arrived so I'll experiment with it tonight. Jhouse, this thread is a couple years old. How is this set-up working out for you today?
post #59 of 74 Old 08-09-2016, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Still watch it every day. It's our big TV in the family room. Still bright. Trying to decide whether to spend $8K on a 85" 4K LCD to put in its place, but having trouble justifying it.

Joe -----

post #60 of 74 Old 08-09-2016, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Still watch it every day. It's our big TV in the family room. Still bright. Trying to decide whether to spend $8K on a 85" 4K LCD to put in its place, but having trouble justifying it.
Glad to hear it. Once I arrived home from work, I quickly connected it to the Uverse receiver and adjusted the settings according to your recommendations. I must say, I am impressed. The wife hasn't been too excited at the idea. She has maintained that pj's "don't look good". I'm making a screen using a piece of Sintra so for now it's projecting on a painted, textured wall and the wife said "ok, I believe you". Then her wheels started spinning and she uttered "we can watch multiple football games now." I still have my 60" panny plasma which have some of the inkiest black levels known to man. The olympic events tonight have looked wonderful. If the image is only just a little better on an actual screen i'll be thrilled. If it's a lot better, I'm a pj convert for life.

I'm sad to hear that you're pondering abandoning this set-up. This thread is the entire reason I went with this set-up.

Image on painted, textured wall with lots of overhead recessed lighting
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2790.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	1593985  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Panasonic Pt Ae4000u 1600 Lumen Lcd Home Theater Projector