mits 7900 or infocus 8606hd ? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 01-27-2014, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I would love to know how these two compare. The infofocus should have a lumen advantage, but I wonder how blacks compare? I believe they are based on the same chip technology's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-27-2014, 09:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 31
The HC7900 has a pretty high amount of vertical lens shift, especially for a DLP in this price range. The offset is still pretty high, so make sure it'll work in your situation.

It also has a dynamic iris and frame interpolation, plus a good 2D to 3D conversion. The Infocus seems to lack these things, and a quick trip to its thread shows some pretty horrendous light leakage.

IMO, the HC7900DW is a solid performer for a light controlled room in its original $2000-2500 price point. It's a steal at current prices. The Infocus looks to offer competent performance for its roughly <$1k price tag, but the Mitsubishi trounces it in a light controlled room with a reasonable (<120" diag) screen.
post #3 of 4 Old 01-27-2014, 11:41 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14

I have the 8606, the light leakage is not an issue for me, reflected light from the screen (given 2000+ lumens) is what lights the room. But if you have a high end bat cave and dark movies to watch could be more an issue, but you'll also be better saving for a 3 chip unit if you're that way inclined. 

Since you're looking at these two the long throw is probably key for you. I had an Infocus X10 previously, must say family is blown away by the new projector, once contrast/brightness/saturation are tweaked to my liking the blacks are the same as the X10 (i.e. fine but not rivalling a plasma !) but the bright scenes, WOW, even on Eco bulb setting it rivals my TV. Also check out that lamp life of 6000 hours on Eco (Eco is a must as pj is too noisey on regular setting, for me anyhow, goes from tornado to whisper when you change the setting, very weird).

With the 8606 you can directly use any DLP link 3D glasses, I just bought a few Sainsonic budget ones, we're making more use than I thought, mainly on PS3 games - Motorstorm Apocalypse really really rocks for one. 

The 8606 is a little new to have any official reviews, if I were you I'd probably wait for that or get a viewing to be honest. I bought mine quickly as the X10 failed at Christmas !

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 01-29-2014, 09:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 31
As for contrast and black levels, the HC7900DW is pretty close to a plasma. I won't say it's right up there, but it's getting pretty close.

More light cannon DLP projectors definitely start straying away from solid blacks and really stout contrast ratings to give a really high brightness level. So that's really the big difference between these projectors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Mitsubishi Hc7900dw Home Theater 3d Projector

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page