what projector next? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-29-2014, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hi guys my 1st post here. 

I need your advice if you would be so kind to help me. I currently have a Sony VPL-AW15 which has been an excellent projector with all its features and high contrast 1080p. Sadly it dropped of my ceiling last night and is dead. I need to purchase a replacement but you cannot get these any more. I have had a look around but cannot find a Sony unit comparative to this for under £2k. The unit will be 7 ft away at around 140inch so needs to be short throw wide angle. Can you please make some suggestions as to what are decent units for under £2k. I would like to stick with Sony but iam open to other vendors also. 

Thanks in advance

must be

1080p

short throw

lcd

quiet fan

i only need 1 x hdmi

wi fi not req

3d not req

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-29-2014, 09:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 101 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1611 Post(s)
Liked: 1184
Unfortunately, 1080p short throw projectors are in short supply and LCD manufacturers really haven't stepped up to the plate at all.

So, you aren't going to get it.

In fact, here is the complete list of projectors which can do 140" from 7' away for under $4,000...
http://www.projectorcentral.com/projectors.cfm?g=1&hide=0&st=1&mfg=&p=100&p=4000&w=&r=13&br=&ll=&ltg=&t=&db=&dt=&c=&ar=&dvi=&wr=&pjl=&pjw=&pjh=&td=7&i=d&is=140&sort=pop&sz=15

Yeah... none.

If we jump up to 7.5' then we get some DLP models:
http://www.projectorcentral.com/projectors.cfm?g=1&hide=0&st=1&mfg=&p=100&p=4000&w=&r=13&br=&ll=&ltg=&t=&db=&dt=&c=&ar=&dvi=&wr=&pjl=&pjw=&pjh=&td=7.5&i=d&is=140&sort=pop

The BenQ W1080ST is the one to get at this time. It is short throw, and really can hit 140" diagonal from just about 7' lens to screen. But, it is DLP which is really the only request you made which can't be achieved.

Since your old projector had to be between 13 and 22 feet for a 140" diagonal, what's up with the requirement of 7' on the new projector and the requirement for LCD?

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #3 of 5 Old 01-30-2014, 01:48 AM - Thread Starter

Hi there and thanks for you reply

My current pj is around 10ft away from screen but i was thinking of moving it, hence the 7ft request. I was under the impression that my aw15 was short throw as i was told this when i purchased it?. As long as I can get a good bright image from 10ft @ 140inch that will be ok. I have LCD because I was also told that DLP can show the grid lines or something like that. You're the experts here so i will take on board your advice. If DLP is ok then that is also an option

Many Thanks

Dave

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 01-30-2014, 08:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 101 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1611 Post(s)
Liked: 1184
Quote:
Originally Posted by v32det View Post

Hi there and thanks for you reply

My current pj is around 10ft away from screen but i was thinking of moving it, hence the 7ft request. I was under the impression that my aw15 was short throw as i was told this when i purchased it?. As long as I can get a good bright image from 10ft @ 140inch that will be ok. I have LCD because I was also told that DLP can show the grid lines or something like that. You're the experts here so i will take on board your advice. If DLP is ok then that is also an option

Many Thanks
Dave
Okay, you've gotten bad information and should just dump any and all information you have ever received in the trash. Start fresh and go with it.

The Sony AW-15 has a calculator you can play with here:
http://www.projectorcentral.com/Sony-BRAVIA_VPL-AW15-projection-calculator-pro.htm

PLAY WITH IT!

You really want to learn how to use the tools at Projector Central to see how projectors can work in your space.

It matters because right now you can't have your projector 10' from the screen and have a 140" diagonal unless something has been added to the projector to allow this. (unlikely)

For a 140" diagonal (set the Image Diagonal to 140"), the Sony must have the lens between 13'7" and 22'2".

As for the 'grid lines' which you mentioned, that is called the screen door effect. More accurately it is the inter-pixel gap. The space between the picture elements which make up the image. But, it is not DLP which is known for this issue, but LCD! The Sony would typically have greater screen door effect than the typical DLP projector of the same resolution. So, this really isn't an issue.

I'm going to ask you to bust out a tape measure and with the help of a friend measure your actual screen diagonal. Measure the actual distance from the screen wall to the lens (keep the tape measure level).

If your throw distance is truly about 10', then I'm thinking your current screen size diagonal is about 100" to 106".

At that screen size, from a 10.5' throw distance (lens to screen) these are the projectors which can hit that size:
http://www.projectorcentral.com/projectors.cfm?g=1&hide=0&st=1&mfg=&p=300&p=2000&w=&r=13&br=&ll=&ltg=&t=&db=&dt=&c=&ar=&dvi=&wr=&pjl=&pjw=&pjh=&td=10.5&i=d&is=106&sort=pop&sz=15

The BenQ W1070 is still the entry level projector of choice right now and is a great value for under $900.

If you do want to get closer, than the W1080ST is a great way to go as well. But, take some measurements and consider carefully your screen size if you are considering an increase in size. Note that power must move and cabling must move if you move the projector location.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #5 of 5 Old 02-03-2014, 01:16 AM - Thread Starter

Hey there, thanks ever so much for your informative reply. I will carry out the exercises you mentioned and will have a look at the site tools. I really appreciate your time.

Regards

Dave

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W1080st 1080p 3d Short Throw Dlp Home Theater Projector

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page