AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-digital-projectors-under-3-000-usd-msrp/)
-   -   ugrade? Benq W1200 to HC7900DW (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-digital-projectors-under-3-000-usd-msrp/1517059-ugrade-benq-w1200-hc7900dw.html)

NYMN 02-10-2014 09:11 AM

Hi all,

Any thoughts on whether this is much of an upgrade? I was looking at getting a new lamp for my Benq W1200, but with the huge price drop on the Mits HC7900DW, I was thinking of getting it and just selling the Benq. I'm sure I could get a couple of hundred bucks for mine so in the end it would be around a $600 upgrade. I'll admit that I'm very happy with the Benq but from what I've read the Mits is a level up. I just have no place to check one out unfortunately.
Yes ? no?
Thanks!

rekbones 02-10-2014 07:03 PM

I just got the HC7900DW to replace my Optoma HD33 and they are comparable but the black level on the Mits is far superior. I wouldn't recommend it for a room that isn't light controlled including dark walls, floor and ceilings.

shiseido 02-11-2014 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekbones View Post

I just got the HC7900DW to replace my Optoma HD33 and they are comparable but the black level on the Mits is far superior. I wouldn't recommend it for a room that isn't light controlled including dark walls, floor and ceilings.
hummmm, im gonna buy this one from amazon and i have white ceiling/wall in the living room (can be light controled, i live in portugal...) but ive had once a mits hc5500 and its lower in lumen than the 7900 and never had any "problem" with it, ok, i needed to have all the lights out and my ex epson tw6000 (3010) work better with lights but for me, even if you dont have a batcave you can use the 7900 wink.gif
2d speaking...

NYMN 02-11-2014 03:17 PM

Thanks, I believe the HD33 and W1200 are pretty comparable. My Benq is 'pinpoint' sharp so I certainly don't want to give that up. Plus, after 800 hours it still gives an extremely bright and punchy image. I just find the Frame Interpolation is pretty jerky at times, especially with Apple TV at 1080p. And I could use better blacks, but to be honest, I don't think I've ever really thought about it when watching a movie. I might just order one - Co$!co has them on sale here in Canada so I could give it a go and if I don't feel it's much of an improvement I can always return it. But, I will need a new lamp sooner than later so that's $250 that would go towards the Mits.