Help finding a basic projector - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 02-12-2014, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I am new to this and hoping for a kickstart. I moved into a new house that has a movie room. It is nice and dark with 9 speaker surround system, several dimmable lights and run by a media computer (HP Pavilion). The room is 17 feet deep and projector mounted at ceiling in back part of room. It projects on a white painted wall, which is 9'9" x 7' or 12' diagonal. Obviously not all of this needs to be used.

The projector is an InFocus X3 with a burnt out bulb. I started looking around when I realized the bulb would be 100$ to replace. In looking this up it looks like this is really a presentation projector. I did see it before it burnt out and the picture was awful, so I never used the room. I don't know if maybe it was just out of focus or something, or if it is just totally unsuited for the job. It looks like a DLP with XGA resolution 1024x768.

I would like to get the room set up for use now. I am not a connoisseur of video at all. My goals are pretty simple, I just want an HD image that would be good enough to watch a game if/when I get some friends over. Good enough for kids to use sometimes. I would like to hang the projector where it is now but that is 17' away, I don't know if that is too far for my screen size.

I guess I need a projector and maybe a screen but not looking for a real movie theater set up here, just something that will get by and I can upgrade later if I am using it a lot. I would probably honestly just use the wall for now, until I get it going.

anyone thing what I have would work if I just get the lamp and tweak it some? If not, any suggestions on a budget projector that may get by in my setup?

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-12-2014, 12:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 488 Post(s)
Liked: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdavis81 View Post

I am new to this and hoping for a kickstart. I moved into a new house that has a movie room. It is nice and dark with 9 speaker surround system, several dimmable lights and run by a media computer (HP Pavilion). The room is 17 feet deep and projector mounted at ceiling in back part of room. It projects on a white painted wall, which is 9'9" x 7' or 12' diagonal. Obviously not all of this needs to be used.

The projector is an InFocus X3 with a burnt out bulb. I started looking around when I realized the bulb would be 100$ to replace. In looking this up it looks like this is really a presentation projector. I did see it before it burnt out and the picture was awful, so I never used the room. I don't know if maybe it was just out of focus or something, or if it is just totally unsuited for the job. It looks like a DLP with XGA resolution 1024x768.

I would like to get the room set up for use now. I am not a connoisseur of video at all. My goals are pretty simple, I just want an HD image that would be good enough to watch a game if/when I get some friends over. Good enough for kids to use sometimes. I would like to hang the projector where it is now but that is 17' away, I don't know if that is too far for my screen size.

I guess I need a projector and maybe a screen but not looking for a real movie theater set up here, just something that will get by and I can upgrade later if I am using it a lot. I would probably honestly just use the wall for now, until I get it going.

anyone thing what I have would work if I just get the lamp and tweak it some? If not, any suggestions on a budget projector that may get by in my setup?

thanks

You will need to provide a number for the budget

Doug
Planar PD8150 with DC4 DMD paired with a Dalite HP 2.8 120"
http://www.airscapesart.com

post #3 of 5 Old 02-13-2014, 05:54 AM - Thread Starter

sure. prob would spend 1500 or so on projector. I would lean toward using the painted wall for now, unless that is just a bad idea. Really just looking for something passable vs something that is going to blow me over. This room won't be a main TV watching area, mostly a special occasion type thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 02-13-2014, 06:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
You could probably get an Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 3020 for under $1500, a lot of people here in the low budget area of the website (under $750) would give anything to get a decent 3lcd HT projector.
post #5 of 5 Old 02-13-2014, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter

my thanks!
I just discovered the Projector Central calculator. That is exactly what I needed. I put in the characteristics of my room and the Epson Powerlite 8350 was the top choice. Several others are also listed to compare. That helps a lot to get started.
I may watch Craigslist and Ebay for a few days, and see if I can get one of these on the cheap from someone wanting to unload one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Infocus X3 Dlp Video Projector , Epson V11h502020 Powerlite Home Cinema 3020e 2d And 3d 1080p Wireless Home Theater Projector

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page