Is "Color Brightness" BS? Optoma vs. EPSON choice. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 02-12-2014, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

OK, we have some new parameters for our artist's still photo projection project that's mocked-up at http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157640295538116/ . 
The artist cares mostly about the colors showing up, not worried about having the "dark background" you see in the mock-up. Our budget for a projector is now $1,100. At that price, for an image 10'-11' tall projected from 19' away, I have two candidates: Optoma HD25-LV, and EPSON PowerLite HomeCinema 2030. 
I put them through the Projection Central Projector Calculator Pro in DATA setting (since its a still) and I get 35fL at 19ft for the Optoma, and 18fL at 17' for the EPSON (I have to max zoom both and use 4:3 and will mount projector on its side to get the the 10ft tall image I need, and image center will be 15-17degrees below lens center). Thus, Optoma *seems* better...HOWEVER, the EPSON site discusses "Color Brightness' advantages, and their calculator at http://www.colorlightoutput.com/ shows the 2030 having 2000Lumens of Color brightness, and the Optoma HD25-LV having only 600Lumens of Color brightness!!! 

~So, is the EPSON *really* going to give me brighter colors than the Optoma, or is this just BS?~

Note: I can almost afford the BenQ SH910 (It's $1,350), and would love and EPSON Powerlite 510E, but the same question about vs. EPSON colors would apply.
Is there a better projector for this at $1,100 (for still photos/slideshow)?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-12-2014, 10:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Color light output is not BS, it's just a term promoted by Epson to make a point of 'superiority' of LCD projectors. But read this: https://www.avsforum.com/t/1451895/epson-color-light-output-demo-at-ces-2013#post_22845017

What you need to look for in a DLP projector if color is your concern is the color wheel (we're talking about 1-chip DLPs here considering your budget). Basically the color wheel must only consist of 3 colors: red, green and blue. No white, yellow, magenta, cyan and other segments (like in HD25-LV). In this case Optoma HD25 is a better choice since it has RGBRGB color wheel. New BenQ projectors are also a good choice (W1070, W1080st, W1300, W1400, W1500, W7500). There are many other models that have RGBRGB color wheel. But not all of them are the same in terms of color accuracy. I'm afraid you have to do some research here.
post #3 of 5 Old 02-13-2014, 05:25 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10

Thanks, Elix.

It's not so much color separation and realistic accuracy as it is the brightness and saturation of the colors. The artist is going for "an experience of colors", and I'd rather not see them end up washed out by the medium level of ambient light in the gallery. The graphs at the link you provided are interesting re: separation, but I'm not seeing units of brightness.

So, will a square foot of say, red, on an 11' x 8' wall projection be as bright using the EPSON 2030 or 3020 using "going for bright colors", as it would be using the Optoma HD25-LV setting it at the same "going for bright colors" settings and trying to achieve, say 80% similarity of color tone between the two projectors?

Is 3-color wheel like BenQ better than than 6-color Optoma for all things involving color, even still photo projection, or just for color in motion or highly detailed color? I don;t need super detail, but I would like to avoid "color banding" like one might see on a cheaper 720p LCD tv. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 02-13-2014, 06:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 15
If what you are saying is true, and what they really mean by color brightness is better reproduction, then they ought to market it is color accuracy, brightness is a very misleading term. Personally, I would interpret this to say that the image on an epson is brighter after the colors have been calibrated, as opposed to the more washed out look of a DLP's with white segs or other color segments simply there to lend a hand to higher lumens.
post #5 of 5 Old 02-13-2014, 08:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 106
ArtRep, if I understood correctly, the PJ is going to be used in some kind of picture exhibition. Then of course light output is a concern, considering the imaze size you want. For that kind of money I don't believe you have many options. Maybe LCD projector is a better option after all. And you don't need 3D. How about Panasonic PT-AR100U? You can easily find it under $1,000.

And here's a good one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Optoma Hd25 Lv 3d Home Theater Projector , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 2030 3lcd Projector , Benq Sh910 8lbs Dlp Projector , Benq W1080st 1080p 3d Short Throw Dlp Home Theater Projector , Benq W1070 3d Ready Dlp Projector 1080p Hdtv , Panasonic Pt Ar100u Lcd Projector

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page