Another projector question - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 02-20-2014, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14

HI Guys, First off I have absolutely no idea how to pick a projector and would appreciate your knowledge. I have a room in the basement that I would like to finish into a dedicated theater room.

The room is 13'x almost 20' ceiling is low after 2x4 for strapping and doubled 5/8' sheetrock it ends up at 7'3'. I also have a beam running parallel almost dead center of the room10'4' from the wall I want to put the screen. Beam is hanging down 7.5 to 8' off the ceiling. Also I would like to use as much of the 13' wall for the screen as possible but leaving enough room for my tower speakers to the side of the screen. I may just start with the projector and play with it for a bit before I settle on a screen size. I would like to mount the projector on the ceiling away from my boys, I just don't know how far back I have to go, does the beam even come into play at only 7.5 inches down. Lighting is fully controllable and no windows in the room.

Any help would be appreciated as I would like to order it next week.  Andre

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 02-21-2014, 08:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1563 Post(s)
Liked: 1156
Budget?

The beam is a huge issue. Projectors (when ceiling mounted) project downward, and usually the image is several inches below the center of the projection lens. So, if the lens is even with the beam, then your image will be very low on the wall.

A few exceptions out there. The BenQ W1070 ($800-$1,000) is only about an inch below the lens, so the image on the wall would be about 9" from the ceiling.

The Epson 2030 projects UPWARDS slightly, so it could be higher on the wall. Not by much, but perhaps ideal for your setup.

The BenQ W1080ST is a short throw projector which can go in front of the beam and still produce a large image. It only has about 2" of offset.

Going with a 138" diagonal image, you end up with an image that is 68" tall (5'8") which doesn't leave much room top/bottom in your room for a center channel speaker.

You will want to check out Projector Central's calculator and play with the numbers and learn how to use it:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/BenQ-W1080ST-projection-calculator-pro.htm

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #3 of 18 Old 02-21-2014, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the reply, I had a feeling the beam would kind of screw things up a bit. I was thinking maybe mounting on a down rod to get below the beam but that may be foolishly low. I could make a shelf or put a down pole in the very back of the room at almost 20' or go with a short throw projector. The screen wall is 13' and I would like a screen of around 120" diagonal so there is room to the sides for towers and overall look of the room. How far from the ceiling should the image be? Also I do need room below for center but the ceiling is low @ 7'3". How is the image quality on the short throw projectors? I could go as high as the Epson 5030 ub or Panasonic AE8000 but I would love to hear that in a light controlled basement an entry level would do fine as well.

Thanks again

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 02-21-2014, 10:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

In a PROPER light controlled room, the cheaper projectors show that they are cheap. Dark paint, dark carpet, dark ceiling... Then you need/want a better projector which really shows what an awesome image it can produce.

If you are accepting of the loss in quality (not a huge loss, but still, a loss) that the cheaper projectors deliver, then they are a great entry level option and do perform very well.

You can't really get under the beam easily with most projectors that don't have lens shift. Read the FAQs at Projector Central's forums about what lens shift is, but you will likely need it if you start ducking under beams and getting the projector to low. The 5030 and AE8000 have this. The JVC RS46 can be had for about $2,600 and is a much better option than the 8000 or 5030 in my opinion.

Still, the W1080ST is a good looking projector. There is a dedicated thread about it, and the image quality from the lens has been strong. I've installed one and was happy with what I saw. But, the RS46 is my favorite sub $3,000 on the market. The W1070 is my favorite around $1,000, but only because I own it. smile.gif

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #5 of 18 Old 02-21-2014, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter

Would the W1070 work in my situation? Meaning placing it in front of the beam at the proper distance to end up with about 120" diagonal screen" Or would I need the W1080ST. In other words would you go with a short throw rather than a projector shooting almost 20" and needing to be lower than the beam to get a clear shot.. thanks again

post #6 of 18 Old 02-21-2014, 12:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'd go with the W1080ST....

In fact, when I just recently did an installation similar to yours, that's exactly what I did.

post #7 of 18 Old 02-21-2014, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter

I just checked out the calculator on projector central and the W1080ST seams to be the only one that makes sense with everything going against me. It shows mounted at 6'7" back I could get a 120" screen perfectly. Also shows the seating distance I was looking for at 12' for the front row. I am going to try and get a second row on a riser if I can fit it. One more question as you seam to know this projector well. With this projector mounted on the ceiling which is low at 7'3"  how far down from the ceiling would the image be and what mount do you recommend? Sorry that was 2 questions. lol thanks

post #8 of 18 Old 02-21-2014, 02:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The center of the projector lens must be about 2" above the top of the screen. So, you determine projector mounting height based on the exactly distance from the top of the ceiling to the top of the screen. If you, for example, put the projector so the center of the lens is 8" from the ceiling, then the top of the screen will be about 10" from the ceiling.

For a mount, I exclusively use the Chief RPM Elite Universal mounts.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313&_nkw=chief+elite+projector+mount&_sacat=0&_from=R40

I tend to find them for under $100 on eBay. I have been known to buy something like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CHIEF-RPMA277-RPA-Elite-Series-Ceiling-Projector-Mount-NEW-/251455065126?pt=US_Projector_Mounts_Stands&hash=item3a8be3cc26

and cut their 'custom made' projector piece so it fits whatever projector I happen to be using. It adds an hour or so to my work, but works fine.

Good price on this one though:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chief-RPMAU-Projector-mount-with-lock-and-key-/121276571718?pt=US_Projector_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c3ca5a046

You can also use their mini-Elite mount which is fine for that projector...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chief-RSMAU-/131112255515?pt=US_Projector_Mounts_Stands&hash=item1e86e6401b

You buy a 1.5" threaded pipe from Home Depot at the length you need, and a 1.5" flange as well, and you are good to go (spray paint them black).

post #9 of 18 Old 02-21-2014, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you again, I will search for whichever mount will keep the projector as close to the ceiling as possible and still leave enough room from the floor to projector. You said you would be happy with this projector? Are there any other options in my situation that you could recommend as far as better picture or more options. The room will be painted darker as with the carpet color will also be darker. I assume I am stuck with a short throw so my options are limited. Only reason for all the questions is I tend to procrastinate and end up not doing anything and I saw you are in the business. So its a good brain to pick.

post #10 of 18 Old 02-21-2014, 03:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I don't believe there is a higher quality 1080p short throw projector on the market.

The JVC RS46 at about $2,600 is my favorite sub-$3,000 projector out there, so yeah, there are 'better' projectors, but for your specific situation, I would stick with the W1080ST.

post #11 of 18 Old 02-21-2014, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter

Perfectly said, Thanks for all of your time and advice

post #12 of 18 Old 02-22-2014, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter

What type of screen (color and gain) would you recommend with this projector in a completely light controlled room with darker walls and ceiling? I am just worried about hot spots somebody mentioned in another thread. Image size I am shooting for is around 120 diagonal and seating will around 11-12 feet or whatever feels right. Still not sure if I am going 16x9 or 2.35:1 any suggestions

post #13 of 18 Old 02-22-2014, 06:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

In a proper room, always use a 1.0 to 1.4 gain white screen. There is almost never any reason to use a grey screen or especially a black screen or ultra high gain screen.

Since you have a 16:9 projector, get a 16:9 screen. Don't buy into the hype of 2.35.

post #14 of 18 Old 02-23-2014, 06:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Liked: 244
2.35 is awesome....... With a lense and vp they cost 4x his projector frown.gif
post #15 of 18 Old 02-24-2014, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter

I do like the look of the 2.35:1 aspect ratio better. I plan to mostly watch Blu-Ray movies with this projector. I just ordered it to try out. I didn't have an issue with spending the money on a better projector, I just had a beam in the way and low ceilings so I took the advice and went with a short throw. Could the 1080st be adjusted to shoot a 2.35:1 image with zoom

post #16 of 18 Old 02-24-2014, 07:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCOSTE View Post

I do like the look of the 2.35:1 aspect ratio better. I plan to mostly watch Blu-Ray movies with this projector. I just ordered it to try out. I didn't have an issue with spending the money on a better projector, I just had a beam in the way and low ceilings so I took the advice and went with a short throw. Could the 1080st be adjusted to shoot a 2.35:1 image with zoom

Yea but without a lens what is the point. Just build a bigger 16:9 screen.
post #17 of 18 Old 02-24-2014, 08:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

No, the W1080ST does not have the zoom range to switch between a 2.35 screen and a 1.78 screen. Unless your wall is really wide, 2.35 makes little sense. It makes less sense in this situation with this projector. Stick with a 1.78 screen.

post #18 of 18 Old 02-25-2014, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter

That's what I am going to do, A 120" 16x9 should be fine. Thanks guys

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W1070 3d Ready Dlp Projector 1080p Hdtv , Benq W1080st 1080p 3d Short Throw Dlp Home Theater Projector , Epson 5030ub 2d 3d 1080p 3lcd Projector

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page