New to the world of projectors - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 02-22-2014, 11:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hey guys

I'm really behind the times when it comes to Home theaters and would appreciate any help you can give.

Here are my questions for the Epson 3020:

1. Can I hook up a HTiB, WII and Direct TV and have both play through the surround sound?  Does the HTiB do it justices?

2. I will have it mounted to the ceiling and around 14 feet from the screen. Will a 120" screen be too big?

3. I have an enclosed basement room ( 28x14 ), Plan to paint the walls dark but not black and can lights will be on a dimmer switch.

Anything else that will help make the experience better?

4. Any other thoughts would be great.

Really looking forward to ge this set up in the next 2 weeks and want to get the most I can from the Epson 3020. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-23-2014, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Thanks for all the feedback. I guess I'll trial and error my way. What a joke.

post #3 of 6 Old 02-23-2014, 06:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Yes, You can have surround sound from both sources. Just connect each of them to the system's inputs. HDMI for the DTV box and composite (yellow/red/white) for the Wii or possibly component (red/green/blue & red/white) if you have one. In a room your size a HTiB should be fine. I have a 3010, which is virtually the same pj and we have a 120" screen that we usually view from 18'. Sometimes we watch from 14' (3D) and for ME it's not too big at all. The pj is ceiling mounted at about 13 1/2' from the screen. Sounds like you'll have lighting controlled with dark paint.
Hope this is helpful. Strange that you haven't got a reply before this--NOT normal. I think everyone's busy watching movies in their home theaters!smile.gif

Ed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 02-23-2014, 08:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1558 Post(s)
Liked: 1149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libmaemel View Post

Wow... Don't be a ....

This isn't a paid support line, these are forums and today is Sunday. People are doing stuff with their families.

Don't trial and error it. You are describing what an A/V receiver is supposed to do. You put multiple sources into it, it decodes the audio, and passes the video on to the TV.

Depending on your budget, different setups will provide different functionality and some home theater in a box kits are alright. Really though, you should look to buy a A/V receiver then separate speakers.

Do NOT buy a CHEAP home theater in a box kit!

Buy one which uses a traditional A/V receiver at the very least. No Bose, no bottom of the line Samsung or Sony. Get a real A/V receiver with the kit.

Accessories4Less.com has some great values available:

For example:
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/category/HTIB/Home-Audio/Packaged-Systems/1.html

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKHTS5600/ONKYO-HT-S5600-7.1-Channel-Home-Theater-Package-w/USB-for-iPod/iPhone/1.html

Understand, that the cheaper A/V receivers do not convert the Wii input signal to HDMI, so you will need composite or component video run to the projector from the A/V receiver, or you will need a different A/V receiver which does that conversion for you.

Screen size should be based on viewing distance. The center seats in a theater are about 1.5x the screen width away. So with a 120" diagonal, 'center of theater' will be about 13' from eyes to screen if that's your goal.

No issues with the projector being 14' away from a 120" diagonal screen.

Recessed lighting on a dimmer. You may want to break the lighting into zones and multiple dimmers. Some over seating, some towards the back, some near the screen. This way you can have lights on while the game is being played and still see the snacks.

Check this out for some thoughts on lighting: http://www.avintegrated.com/lighting.html

Dark paint must include ceilings, and dark carpet and furniture is recommended.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #5 of 6 Old 02-24-2014, 05:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libmaemel View Post

Wow it must be nice to exist in an "Its ALL about ME entitlement state of mind. If I were you I would study up on humility. Some of us have been here for YEARS. Many forums have post number rules before they allow a member to actually start a topic thread. If we had these rules we would have never seen your post in the first place. Kinda makes me wish we had these rules.- Bohanna
post #6 of 6 Old 02-24-2014, 05:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post

Do NOT buy a CHEAP home theater in a box kit!

I disagree AV maybe we can steer this guy in the direction of the white van salesman!- Bohanna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Epson V11h502020 Powerlite Home Cinema 3020e 2d And 3d 1080p Wireless Home Theater Projector

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page