Ex HD65 owner, looking for 1080P alternative for HD25e projector. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 02-25-2014, 06:17 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Background:
I was happy Hd65 owner for 5 years or so, now I’ve used HD25e for 3 months or so.
I’m picky guy and I couldn’t stand soft corner issue tired 2 units, now after getting focus issues the offset characteristics got out of whack and I cannot ceiling mount it anymore.
The offset was about 5” prior RMA and now is 0”, which would make it way too low for my basement. As a result I will have no choice but to return it.
My budget is around $1000 but can be stretched to $1500 if I can justify it to my dear wife (WAF in full affect LOL)

Setup:
I have a static DIY 110” screen on a drywall. 4” MDF frame painted black and wrapped in black velvet.
I’m projecting from ceiling from about 13’. I have about 15” between the ceiling and the top of the screen.
I use HTPC win 7 (wmc7/xbmc) with nvidia GPU and internal bluray player. The worst case scenario, I can dismantle 110” frame and redo it to something bigger 

Needs:
I use it in my mancave basement almost everyday, either to watch movies or sports. On the weekends when the time allows we watch a flick or two as a family.
1080P movies
720P Tv shows
720P HD Sports
Browsing internet / reading. Must have decent uniform focus across the screen.
Light Gaming with my steam account.
Quiet fan would be a definite bonus.
3D is not a must, but a bonus. I might be stuck with 2 extra DLP 3D glasses from Optoma, would be a bonus if I could reuse them. If not I will have to sell them off.
I live in Canada, so buying from retailer I can easily return/exchange it (in case of issues) would be a bonus.

I never experience rainbow problems with my old HD65 nor with the new HD25e. If I have a choice I would like to stick with DLP.
However if there are any decent LCD projectors I’m willing to switch.

Too be honest I’m a little confused with the projector calculator, some of the projectors do not offer ceiling/table mounts?

Any help would be much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-25-2014, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

how is Mitsubishi HC7900DW comparing to HD25e? i.e. black levels?

Thanks...
post #3 of 4 Old 02-25-2014, 02:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 948 Post(s)
Liked: 488
The Mits has an iris, much better quality optics, less over all light output so the blacks should be much better, although I have not seen the HD25e it is definitely much better then the HD33 I had previously. With 15" of clearance from top of screen for 110" screen than the off set of the mits should not be a problem. The only kind of glasses you can't use are DLP link. I don't know if they ship to Canada but at $799 it is a sweet deal.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 02-25-2014, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

perfect :-) Thanks four feedback. I have very well light control man cave :-) Is focus uniform across the screen? I will be using with my HTPC and I'm very picky about it. Are the noise levels fine?

if some can please confirm HC7900DW will work for my setup I would really appreciate?

13' throw for 110" screen. I have about 15" clearance between ceiling and top of the screen. I want to go as close to the ceiling as I can.

Also Does anyone know if Mits Canada will honor warranty for Mits bought in US?

Thanks so much....

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekbones View Post

The Mits has an iris, much better quality optics, less over all light output so the blacks should be much better, although I have not seen the HD25e it is definitely much better then the HD33 I had previously. With 15" of clearance from top of screen for 110" screen than the off set of the mits should not be a problem. The only kind of glasses you can't use are DLP link. I don't know if they ship to Canada but at $799 it is a sweet deal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Optoma Hd25e 2800 Ansi Lumens 3d Home Theater Projector

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page