Older epson 5010 vs newer 5020/5030 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 03-02-2014, 12:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Found a great deal on a leftover 5010 and was wondering how much I'm losing to the newer projectors? Keep in mind I do not care about 3D at all. Probably will never ever use it. I'd be using around 100" screen or so and would occasionally use during day for say sport watching as I don't have a dedicated theater room. Any advice appreciated

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-02-2014, 12:23 PM

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Arts opinion on the 5010 vs the 5020

http://www.projectorreviews.com/epson/epson-home-cinema-5020-competitors-6/#epson-home-cinema-5020-vs-epson-home-cinema-5010
Quote:
Usually when a new projector comes out, such as this Home Cinema 5020, there’s a period of a month or more where it competes against dwindling supplies of “last year’s projector.

So, is it worth paying more? Generally I would say yes. If you can still find HC5010s (there are some around now, mid Nov. 2012), then I offer this advice. I find the improvements to be a number of small things that add up to a much better projector, especially in 3D. That said, if anyone’s into 3D, they probably should be willing to pay hundreds more for the HC5020.

My initial thoughts were that the HC5020UB despite the 320,000:1 contrast (up from 200,000:1 on the 5010UB), did not seem to have blacker blacks. Mind you, at some point I forgot that they had raised the contrast ratio (they didn’t raise the HC3020 compared to the HC3010).

I had both projectors here for a couple of weeks, but never really took a close look, or photographed my favorite “dark scenes”.

But two things now say “Yes” the Epson does better blacks. First, I saw the Panasonic PT-AE8000 vs PT-AE7000 here, when Panasonic brought both a few months ago. The Panasonic PT-AE8000 had slightly improved blacks. But, when I looked at my photos of the PT-AE8000 vs. Epson 5020, it seemed that the black level difference was greater (favoring the Epson) than in the images of the older HC5010 vs the older PT-AE7000.

Further “subjective proof” When I reviewed the HW50ES, my initial comments included that the HW50ES slightly outperformed in most cases, the HC5010 (that was well before the HC5020 shipped). Yet when I ran my comparisions and side by side images, the two were virtually a tie, but the Epson was slightly better at blacks most of the time, the Sony only occasionally.

From that as well, I would have to say, yes, you are getting better blacks with the HC5020UB. However, it’s not going to be much of an improvement. The difference between the blacks of the HC5020 and the PT-AE8000 is probably 5-10 times greater than between the HC5020 and the HC5010. In other words, score a slight improvement in black levels for both Epson and the new Panasonic compared to their last year’s versions.

If, there really turns out to be a price spread of say $500 give or take, I would say that the 5010′s greatest value are to the folks shopping for under $2,000 projectors who simply can’t rationalize spending $2600 for the new version.

If the price spread is more like a couple hundred dollars, and you really don’t care about 3D, then the HC5010 again should be considered, especially if the budget it tight. It comes down to this: There isn’t one thing (other than possible price), that the HC5010 and do better than the HC5020 so it needs to be at a discount that makes sense to you.
- See more at: http://www.projectorreviews.com/epson/epson-home-cinema-5020-competitors-6/#epson-home-cinema-5020-vs-epson-home-cinema-5010

And then the 5030 vs the 5020

http://www.projectorreviews.com/epson/epson-home-cinema-5030ub-competitors-2/#epson-home-cinema-5030-ub-vs-epson-home-cinema-5020ub
Quote:
Each year, when a new projector comes out, such as this Home Cinema 5030 UB, there’s a period of a month or more where it competes against dwindling supplies of “last year’s projector.

So, is it worth paying more? Generally I would say yes. If you can still find HC5020UBs (there are some around now, mid Nov. 2012), then consider. I find the improvements to be a number of small things that add up to a better projector, especially in 3D. I figure that the Home Cinema 5030UB is worth, perhaps $300-$400 more, over the 5020UB for those on a tight budget. Less than that difference, would make the 5020UB not that good a value, as you’ll get less for the older 5020UB when it’s time to sell and upgrade.

My initial thoughts were that the HC5030 UB, despite the jump in contrast, offers only slightly better blacks. Weeks of watching it confirms that. Folks it’s a subtle difference. You also get Super-Resolution working in 3D with the 5030UB. Also of note, the Split screen of the 5020UB is gone – it allowed two same sized (or different sized) windows, side by side. The problem is that only one could be an HDMI source. With the 5030UB, that’s history, instead you get picture in picture, one full window, one small inset window. The good news is that both windows can be powered from your HDMI inputs at the same time.

This is the story: For those on a tight budget, saving a few hundred will still get you a great projector (5020UB), with just a little less performance than the 5030UB. A good trade-off.
- See more at: http://www.projectorreviews.com/epson/epson-home-cinema-5030ub-competitors-2/#epson-home-cinema-5030-ub-vs-epson-home-cinema-5020ub
post #3 of 5 Old 03-02-2014, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thanks for the reply, i ended up picking it up for $1k as an older display item. Has 3000hr hours on the lamp and i used that to negotiate it lower (than what they had) to factor in a lamp replacement at some point. For that price point i just can't justify 2.5x more for a 5030 new and i haven't found any leftover 5020's anywhere.

Now i need to look into getting everything else together as i wasn't really ready to have a projector yet but again couldn't pass up this deal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 03-03-2014, 01:11 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 34
And what 3d improvements is he referring to? Firstly the contrast ratio difference is nothing more than a more aggressive iris which is now available in 3d mode. Both of which are moot as I don't use or need the iris. The LCD panels are the same so I guess with the iris off there is no real difference. The same goes for FI in 3D I don't like it or see the need to use it. So other than that what's the difference?
post #5 of 5 Old 03-03-2014, 11:48 AM

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashyt16 View Post

And what 3d improvements is he referring to? Firstly the contrast ratio difference is nothing more than a more aggressive iris which is now available in 3d mode. Both of which are moot as I don't use or need the iris. The LCD panels are the same so I guess with the iris off there is no real difference. The same goes for FI in 3D I don't like it or see the need to use it. So other than that what's the difference?

I think that's what's being hinted at in the reviews. There isn't one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Epson 5030ub 2d 3d 1080p 3lcd Projector , Epson 5010 Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page