Opinions on Projector Lamps - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 03-05-2014, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I've had my Epson 6500UB for 26 months (my first projector - factory refurbished) and after about 1900 hours, my lamp is starting to go. It actually looked really great just a couple of days ago, but almost all at once it got considerably darker.

After looking around a lot over the last few days, my head is spinning about what to do.

I can get an el cheapo Chinese knockoff for about $50, but I've read a lot of horror stories about those arriving broken, damaging the ballast from improper voltage, or exploding and damaging the projector.

I can get the actual certified manufacturer Epson lamp from Visual Apex (where I bought my pj) for $259, but that's an awful lot of money for me right now.

Also, after doing some research I found a site called Pureland Supply. While not technically OEM, they have a genuine Osram replacement lamp mounted inside an Apog lamp module for $185 which is $74 less than the real deal.

I would rather pay full price if I knew I would be getting something much better and more reliable, but if I can get something that's absolutely just as good for $74 less, then that would seem like the way to go.

Have any of you guys had success with any of the el cheapo knockoffs, and if so from what seller, or have any of you had any experience with Pureland Supply or any other non-OEM manufacturer that offers top quality lamps at significant savings?

Right now I'm leaning towards either biting the bullet and getting the OEM or possibly going with the Pureland Supply Osram lamp. This will be my first lamp replacement and I want to make sure that I make the best choice while also getting the best deal.

Any knowledge about and/or prior experience with buying pj lamps would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-06-2014, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter

I just got some absolutely amazing news. My lamp warranty was just 90 days and my pj warranty was 2 years, and I've had my pj for just over 26 months, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to call them just to see what they said.

My pj came with a PrivateLine technical support card that looks like a credit card and has a PIN number on the back. I called them and told them that I've had my pj for 26 months and have just over 1900 hours on my lamp and that in the last few days it has gotten very dark. They asked me for the serial number and then asked if I clean the unit and the filter regularly (I do this at least once a month) and then asked if it has adequate air flow around the unit (it does). Then he asked me to send them a copy of my receipt. I hung up and called Visual Apex where I bought my pj and they emailed me a copy which I then forwarded to Epson, then I immediately called them back and gave them my reference number.

I was put on hold for about 5 minutes, then the guy apologized for the wait and informed me that although I am over two months out of my pj warranty and almost 25 months out of my lamp warranty, that because I am a valued Epson customer, they are shipping me a new lamp for free. eek.gif No shipping fee, no lamp fee, just absolutely free!!! I couldn't believe it. I even said "I'm sorry, I'm not sure I heard you correctly" and he laughed and repeated it to me.

I just started a new job and am completely broke right now, so my pj going down was a real bummer at the worst possible time. I can't believe how good their customer service is. I'm getting a $300 lamp direct from the factory for nothing. I am so happy. I should have it in 2 to 7 business days. biggrin.gif
old corps likes this.
post #3 of 7 Old 03-06-2014, 05:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Wow, that's amazing! smile.gif Gee, maybe I should call 'em and see if I can get a free one for my 28 month old 3010......wink.gif

Ed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 03-06-2014, 07:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1560 Post(s)
Liked: 1151
Buy a manufacturer branded original lamp always, always, always! Pureland sells the same junk that everyone else does and there are almost as many horror stories as success stories. Sure, you get an $80 lamp. Often without a proper filter on it if it is a full lamp assembly. Also, the filter burns out over time and is why you want a full lamp assembly, not just a bare bulb. What happens when the filter fails? You burn up your polarizers or your lens, or both, and destroy your projector.

Even if the lamp doesn't hurt anything, quite often they burn out at 200-300 hours, which means you don't really get any cost savings at all.

It's awesome that Epson stepped up.to the plate with an out of warranty, and well used lamp. It goes above and beyond IMO. But, I have a rule that everyone should BUDGET for a new lamp at 1,000 hours. If you have that money put away for a lamp, then use it or not, you are prepared.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #5 of 7 Old 03-06-2014, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by old corps View Post

Wow, that's amazing! smile.gif Gee, maybe I should call 'em and see if I can get a free one for my 28 month old 3010......wink.gif

Ed

I just told him the truth about everything that he asked, emailed them my receipt, called back and gave them my reference number, and five minutes later I got the good news. biggrin.gif

He did state that although I was well out of the warranty, that as a one time only offer for me being a valued Epson customer, they would send me a free replacement lamp. I asked if I had to return the old lamp, and he said that if so, the return shipping sticker and any instructions would be included inside the box with the new lamp, and to reship it in the same box for free.

Epson has the absolute best customer service of any company that I have ever dealt with in my entire life.
post #6 of 7 Old 03-06-2014, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post

Buy a manufacturer branded original lamp always, always, always! Pureland sells the same junk that everyone else does and there are almost as many horror stories as success stories. Sure, you get an $80 lamp. Often without a proper filter on it if it is a full lamp assembly. Also, the filter burns out over time and is why you want a full lamp assembly, not just a bare bulb. What happens when the filter fails? You burn up your polarizers or your lens, or both, and destroy your projector.

Even if the lamp doesn't hurt anything, quite often they burn out at 200-300 hours, which means you don't really get any cost savings at all.

It's awesome that Epson stepped up.to the plate with an out of warranty, and well used lamp. It goes above and beyond IMO. But, I have a rule that everyone should BUDGET for a new lamp at 1,000 hours. If you have that money put away for a lamp, then use it or not, you are prepared.

The Pureland Supply Osram lamp in an Apog housing was actually $185. I would guess that it might be considerably better than a $50 completely generic Chinese knock-off, but I do feel much better about getting the real genuine OEM.

I figure that based on my first lamp usage habits and average lifespan expectancy, I should set aside about $10 a month. Not too bad at all.
post #7 of 7 Old 03-13-2014, 01:03 AM - Thread Starter

biggrin.giflamp.pngbiggrin.gif

I spent about an hour cleaning my pj while I had it opened up changing out the lamp. Also, I have my pj sitting on a shelf with one of my rear surrounds, and although I have my rear surrounds sitting on some supports with foam rubber on them to reduce vibration, tonight I also cut out some foam rubber to go under my pj's feet to help reduce vibration to it even more. When I used to play some really bass heavy music and have a menu popped up on screen, I could visibly notice the letters and numbers on the menu moving around a tiny bit. I'm pretty sure that most of the vibration was from my subs and not my surrounds, but with the new foam supports under my pj's feet, it doesn't show any noticeable vibration at all.

It took me quite a while to get everything lined up and perfectly squared with the screen, but after I did, I turned off the lights and did a calibration with my AVS calibration disc. I really couldn't believe how much better it looks overall. It seems to be much sharper and have more depth and better black levels than I ever remember it having before, which I'm sure is due to the increased contrast of the new lamp. The colors also really popped more than I can remember it looking before. I may even need to back the overall color level down a notch or two.

The only negative thing that I've noticed is that when I'm projecting a completely bright white image onto the entire screen, I can see just a bit of a red shade on the far left side of the screen and just a bit of a green shade on the far right side of the screen. I'm pretty sure it's always been this way, but the new super bright lamp seems to make it a little more obvious. Is this a convergence issue or something? It's really not that big of a deal since other than specifically looking for it with a completely white screen it isn't noticeable at all.

I ran it for a couple of hours in high lamp mode while demoing various blu-rays before shutting it down. I may try using it in low mode just to see if it looks good enough, but as I have my pj about twelve and a half feet from the screen with it zoomed to the maximum size and am projecting a 130" diagonal 16x9 image, I'll probably just blast it in high mode. When I first got my pj, I set up a memory for low mode to try to protect the lamp, and with nothing to compare to it looked great, but when I compared it to my high lamp mode memory, it just couldn't compare. I just don't see the point in getting a pj and not using it in the best possible setting.

Anyway, I'm super stoked to have my pj working like a champ again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 6500ub Home Theater Projector

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page