How large of an image can the W1070 Project? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 03-08-2014, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Experts,

I purchased a w1070 a few months ago and am moving into a new house soon. We are converting the basement into a Home Theater. The basement has 9'8" tall celings, and I have a wall that I plan to frame out a painted on wall screen with an area approx 15' wide to use as the screen.

My question is should I make the screen as large as possible?
How far from the floor should the bottom of the screen be for typical movie watching (from a couch, not elevated seating )
How far from the ceiling should the top of the screen be?
Does the W1070 have enough brightness / lens to project am image 8' x 14' wide from 17-22' away? ( These numbers come from the Ben Q calculator
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-08-2014, 07:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 788 Post(s)
Liked: 487
If the room is dark enough, it should work. Might be a little dim for 3-D.

I've seen an Epson 3020 throwing a pic at least that large on a wall at Frys home theater setup. It wasn't real bright, but I've been in local cinema houses that were dimmer than that. And I think the two PJs are comparable in brightness.

As for mounting height, that's a matter of personal preference. I like the screen not too far off the floor (two feet or so), so I don't have to look up at the image. In your case that would mean some kind of mounting pole for the PJ in addition to any vertical lens shift.

The Optoma HD25-LV might be better as it would give you 50% more brightness. You might have to shrink the screen a bit to accommodate its throw, though.
post #3 of 5 Old 03-08-2014, 08:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1558 Post(s)
Liked: 1149
I'm using the W1070 on a screen that is 141" wide - so about 12' wide. It's a 1.3 gain screen and works very well in low-power mode. Plenty of brightness for 2D viewing. I have not played with 3D with it yet.

I believe that in a decent room you could pull off 180" of width. Not sure I would go larger, and you may decide to get some real screen material at some point.

You will need to consider the height to your viewing distance, etc. I would seriously just buy the projector first and see what size works best for you and produces a light level you are happiest with before you start painting a screen or mounting the projector.

I definitely find that the 161" screen I am using is a bit much for my 8' ceiling height, but that's what I've got so I'm not messing with it for now.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 03-09-2014, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the replies guys. My room height is 9'8" so I have some extra real estate.
post #5 of 5 Old 03-10-2014, 04:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I've thrown 20 feet wide with only a 1000 lumen pj, and its not ideal, but it still works pretty good after your eyes adjust to the dimmer picture its very watchable. I wouldn't do that for 3d, but 2d was always ok. If I were you I'd throw it against the wall and see what you think. Just paint it and you can adjust to any size that you want, saves you money from not having to buy a screen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W1070 3d Ready Dlp Projector 1080p Hdtv , Epson V11h501020 Powerlite Home Cinema 3020 2d And 3d Home Theater Projector , Optoma Hd25 Lv 3d Home Theater Projector

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page