AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-digital-projectors-under-3-000-usd-msrp/)
-   -   SONY VPL-HW40ES : New SONY SXRD 1080P home theater projector (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-digital-projectors-under-3-000-usd-msrp/1524377-sony-vpl-hw40es-new-sony-sxrd-1080p-home-theater-projector.html)

Legairre 03-21-2019 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tab10 (Post 57772594)
Bump. We just moved into a new home with a media room. We asked for the HT setup as a seller's concession and they agreed. So we got a HW40ES projector and a 120 inch screen (can't tell the brand). I cannot get this projector to align image properly for the life of me. It slopes off to the right at the bottom.

I'm at my wit's end. I don't know if it is the screen, PJ, or some combo of both.

Take a level and make sure the screen is level. Check both the top and bottom. Also make sure the screen isn't warped and all four corners are the same distance from the wall behind the screen. That way we'll know if the screen is the problem. If it's not the screen then we need to make sure projector is level and pointed completely straight at the screen.

Can you post some pics of the image? BTW the 40ES has two wheels on the top to move the image up/down and L/R for horizontal and vertical lens shift if you need them.

quentinnw2 03-22-2019 06:06 AM

is there a big difference in the sony 40es and the 45es i see that i can get a good use 40es for a good price please explain thank...

horseflesh 03-22-2019 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quentinnw2 (Post 57785976)
is there a big difference in the sony 40es and the 45es i see that i can get a good use 40es for a good price please explain thank...

The short answer is there is not a big difference. I still love my 40, so if you can get a good price go for it.

Long answer here:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...successor.html

reisb 09-10-2019 04:14 PM

I'm finally due to replace lamp. What are the thoughts on places to purchase as of now? projectorlampexperts.com, projectorpeople, or somewhere else?

73shark 09-10-2019 08:48 PM

I've had good success w/ Projector Lamp Experts. YMMV

Their Platinum lamp has a one year warranty.

Legairre 09-11-2019 08:19 AM

I've bought OEM and the platinum lamps from projectorlampexperts.com. I never had a problem with either and only buy the platinum lamps from them now because they have lasted and performed the same as the OEM but at a lower price.

aoaaron 11-17-2019 05:09 PM

Hey guys, which 3D glasses are best for this PJ? I'll be sitting under the projector, will they work fine via the IR?

horseflesh 11-17-2019 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aoaaron (Post 58835482)
Hey guys, which 3D glasses are best for this PJ? I'll be sitting under the projector, will they work fine via the IR?

Short answer: In my opinion, the old Sony PS3 glasses (CECH-ZEG1U) have the best image quality of the 4 kinds I tried. They aren't very comfortable, but I can make it through a movie. They are also cheap, here they are on eBay for $12.

Long answer: see my post

Since years have passed if anyone has a new, better recommendation I would like to hear about it too.

aoaaron 11-28-2019 10:34 AM

HW40Es lens shift not working

Hi, so I bought a second hand HW40Es. I've tried to shift the image up and down. It goes up vertically fine. I've put it at the highest setting. but when trying to move the lens right and left, it doesn't work.

has a gear gone and its broken or does the screen have to be on a certain setting or level first vertical shift wise before I can adjust the image left and right?

moving the cog just isn't smooth at all when thinking left and right

its on maximum zoom.

descalabro 11-28-2019 11:58 AM

Hi,

Vertical and horizontal lens shift are interdependent, which means that at max vertical shift it won’t shift to the sides at all, and at max horizontal shift it won’t move vertically as well. You have to compromise or move the the projector a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archibald1 11-28-2019 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by descalabro (Post 58886902)
Hi,

Vertical and horizontal lens shift are interdependent, which means that at max vertical shift it won’t shift to the sides at all, and at max horizontal shift it won’t move vertically as well. You have to compromise or move the the projector a bit.

The lens shift window is an octagonal shape.

@aoaaron Please see link below for the manual

https://pro.sony/s3/cms-static-conte...7494321840.pdf

Pages 10, 11 and 12 are the ones to look at for this. HTH.

aoaaron 11-29-2019 04:59 AM

hi, sadly i have no choice but to place this PJ next to a wall (back wise).

It will be ceiling mounted and have as much space as it wants on the sides.

has anyone else had to do this and ran into many issues?

aoaaron 11-29-2019 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by descalabro (Post 58886902)
Hi,

Thank you both of you!

My friend had told me at maximum height adjustment he can still turn the screen left and right so he's likely mis-informed with a very bad memory!

DocCharky 12-04-2019 09:48 AM

My HW40ES is attached to the ceiling. Depending on how much you want to horizontally "offset" your picture, physically rotating the PJ works just fine...

73shark 12-04-2019 12:08 PM

You will have to use a keystone adjustment if you decide to rotate which I have been told affects the resolution somewhat. If the sides are not restricted why not move it over?

DocCharky 12-04-2019 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 73shark (Post 58913518)
You will have to use a keystone adjustment if you decide to rotate

Well that depends. If you need to move your picture 2 meters to the left or right then yes obviously rotating is not an option. If it's only 20cm or even 50cm, if you just rotate your PJ the picture deformation is barely noticeable IMO.

Lens shift can be useful but is not optimal by any mean. Used all the way one side or another and the picture will most certainly lose sharpness uniformity and get blurry on one of the sides...

73shark 12-04-2019 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aoaaron (Post 58889234)

It will be ceiling mounted and have as much space as it wants on the sides.

That being the case, I would just move it sideways to line up with the screen.