SONY VPL-HW40ES : New SONY SXRD 1080P home theater projector - Page 38 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 595Likes

post #1111 of 5106 Old 10-16-2014, 03:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr bass View Post
Uh...the "lag" is 25ms in a few modes. That's only 1.5 frames at 60 fps. Less than a frame at 30. It's fantastic for games, not to mention the image quality is outrageously good for the price.

It's a very fast display. I don't think you know what you are talking about. "Real gamer"? Does that mean basement dweller FPS addict?

No need to spoil this thread with that kind of nonsense. Perhaps mods could clean it up a little.
Yea awesome projector for gaming, Ill take a 100" image over a few ms of lag any day. Gamers these days man...
Question for other gamers then, what mode is the input lag the highest in? Is the lowest input lag in the mode "GAME" with ~26ms?
Some times I like the visual settings of picture mode 1, but usually dont select it because the lag might be higher.

Last edited by cruisx; 10-16-2014 at 03:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1112 of 5106 Old 10-16-2014, 03:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDUB619 View Post
For those deciding between this Sony or the Epson 5030, I would ask why you are interested in the 5030? What features do you prefer in it that the Sony cannot match?[/url]
The Epson is said to deliver better 3D with less crosstalk and ghosting. The Epson also has an RF sync transmitter built in, where going RF is an extra cost on the Sony. If 3D is a person's #1 issue, the Epson seems to be better.

I have different priorities so I am getting the Sony. I expect to call Mike tomorrow.
post #1113 of 5106 Old 10-16-2014, 03:28 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by tellcity99 View Post
No lag' are you joking. The Sony is better than Epson for sure But all Projectors suck at lag any real gamer would never use a projector for gaming, Don't make false claims. People come here for honest info not fan boy hype.
This is the last time I'm acknowledging your trolling posts and giving them a response.

Sony HW40 input lag is 24ms in Game Mode, as per Projector Central. This is faster lag time than my Sony TV. I would also bet this is one of the fastest projectors available. All other modes on this Sony are ~26ms.

Your refurbished Epson 5020 input lag is ~84ms as per Projector Central. So I can see why you would think no "real gamer" should play on a projector, especially your projector.

And being that you just purchased a refurbished 5020 (but still feel the need to read and make posts in a Sony thread) maybe it is YOU who is questioning your choice in projector? GL

Sony 75" X900e 4K HDR TV
Samsung 65" KS8000 4K HDR TV
Samsung HT-E5400 5.1 Smart HTS
X1X GT: JonnyRingo619
PS4 Pro GT: Ringo619
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1114 of 5106 Old 10-16-2014, 03:38 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Will the IR 3D glasses that are normally used for watching 3D on the 40ES sync to viewers 16 feet back from the screen if I mounted the projector 10.5 ft from the screen? Manual says 5 meters max so I'm looking for answers from experienced users here. Room is 10.5 ft wide by 17 ft long and seating will be at 10 and 16 ft from the 92" screen.
post #1115 of 5106 Old 10-16-2014, 03:52 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Where's the best price for the 40 right now and what's the best 3D glasses to get and where to get them? If I mount the 40ES 10.5 ft from a 92" 1.1 gain screen in a light-sealed room, which lamp brightness setting could be used? The lower one?
post #1116 of 5106 Old 10-16-2014, 03:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfwald View Post
Where's the best price for the 40 right now and what's the best 3D glasses to get and where to get them? If I mount the 40ES 10.5 ft from a 92" 1.1 gain screen in a light-sealed room, which lamp brightness setting could be used? The lower one?
Sale starting this Sunday

Most popular 3D glasses seem to be the Sony PS3 glasses. You can get them pretty cheap on Amazon too. I have a pair and they work great, sync right up.

As for lamp brightness, if your room is light controlled, you should be able to use the lower mode.

Sony 75" X900e 4K HDR TV
Samsung 65" KS8000 4K HDR TV
Samsung HT-E5400 5.1 Smart HTS
X1X GT: JonnyRingo619
PS4 Pro GT: Ringo619
post #1117 of 5106 Old 10-16-2014, 04:40 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post
Trapezoidal shape, means the face of the projector lens is not parallel with the screen. In your case the projector is tilted down, so that the distance from the lens to the top of the screen is shorter than the distance from the lens to the bottom of the screen. With the shorter distance, the image can't spread out as much, creating the trapezoidal shape. Tilt the projector up, until the lines are straight on the sides and then lens shift back down. It can get a little more complicated, if the projector is aimed to the right or left too much, but the rule of thumb is to always swing the projector toward the small side, then lens shift back.
Thanks! I shifted the whole unit higher, lens shifted down and no more trapezoid. Makes sense why it was doing it earlier.

Thread to Build:Theater Build
Theater: Monitor Audio Platinum PL200/PL350C, Seaton Submerssive, 150" 3D Elite Screens +more
Living Room: Aperion Grand Verus, Outlaw LFM-1 EX, 75" Sony XBR75X940E +more
Stage 1 - Enthusiasm, Stage 2 - Realism
Stage 3 - Obsession, Stage 4 - Acceptance
...Which stage are you on?
post #1118 of 5106 Old 10-17-2014, 03:45 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by TD1040 View Post
I will say that I've decided to go with the HW40 over the Epson. I had decided upon on an Epson for over a year now, but Sony won out by releasing this projector and discounting it at the moment that I'm ready to buy.

<snip>

I'm sure that I'd be happy with either one and in fact was certain for over a year that I would be buying an Epson as it was the clear leader in 'the best for an acceptable price' category to me at the time.
Same boat. Had to delay purchase last fall due to some other house needs (new water heater and new AC system). Started out a couple of weeks ago thinking I'd go for a refurb 5020, but now think the Sony is the better option to replace my 7 year old Mitsubishi HD1000U.
post #1119 of 5106 Old 10-17-2014, 06:07 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Sale? Where?! :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDUB619 View Post
Sale starting this Sunday
OK so I NEED to know where this sale is haha.

How do you know there's going to be a sale this sunday?

Been looking at projectors for a couple months now researching into the diff types of projectors etc etc and I've had my eyes set on the Sony for a while now, just been holding out hoping for a sale... My original budget was £500 - £1000, then I saw this sony one and I just didn't care... It was this one or no one!!

FYI, I just created this account just this second with seeing that beautiful word "sale"
BDUB619 likes this.
post #1120 of 5106 Old 10-17-2014, 08:22 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 248 Post(s)
Quoted: 12673 Post(s)
Liked: 10303
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by willieconway View Post
For me it's lens shift. I want as much flexibility as I can get in terms of placement, and the Epson wins on that. I have zero interest in gaming and it seems like it's close enough to a tie on all other specs and features.
Keep in mind, you always want to place the projector near the top of the image or lower to minimize the amount of lens shift used. So even if a projector has a ton of lens shift, you don't want to use it. This applies to 90% of the projectors on the market. (there used to be a few DLP's that had the zero lens shift point above the image) This is because as you use more lens shift the image is getting closer to the edge of the lens. The sweet spot on the lens is the center and as you get closer to the edge, you do not get as good of an image out of the projector. Having an excessive amount of lens shift is really more for bragging rights, just like using dynamic lumens for projector brightness ratings.
post #1121 of 5106 Old 10-17-2014, 09:33 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 325
Quote:
Keep in mind, you always want to place the projector near the top of the image or lower to minimize the amount of lens shift used. So even if a projector has a ton of lens shift, you don't want to use it. This applies to 90% of the projectors on the market. (there used to be a few DLP's that had the zero lens shift point above the image) This is because as you use more lens shift the image is getting closer to the edge of the lens. The sweet spot on the lens is the center and as you get closer to the edge, you do not get as good of an image out of the projector. Having an excessive amount of lens shift is really more for bragging rights, just like using dynamic lumens for projector brightness ratings.
Thanks Mike, this is very good - and very timely - info. I was going to place an order for a 5030 today but now I guess I need to reconsider. I have only one placement option, right below the ceiling which is 8'. No flexibility. I was going to use lens shift to place a 92" screen low enough to make viewing comfortable. However, if it comes with a large reduction in picture quality, I think I'll stick with the 64" plasma that I'm currently using.

Equipment and collection:
Spoiler!

Last edited by willieconway; 10-17-2014 at 09:39 AM.
post #1122 of 5106 Old 10-17-2014, 11:17 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
I was curious about how the lens shift worked. Unfortunately, I have a ceiling fan where the projector would go. I cannot put it in front of the ceiling fan because there is only 11ft to the screen. According to projectorcentral, I would need to place the projector back 11'10" to cast the 120" diagonal. So my intention was to place it next to the ceiling fan which would offset the projector by about 22" from top/center of screen.

My question regarding the Horizontal lens shift is how it is calculated. The datasheet says that it can shift by 25%, so does that mean if my screen would be 105" wide, that the image could be shifted either left or right by 26.25" (105"*25%).

Also, does anyone know how shifting the image affects for the horizontal? Is it just a loss of lumens or will the picture quality also be impacted?
post #1123 of 5106 Old 10-17-2014, 12:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Thanks Mike, this is very good - and very timely - info. I was going to place an order for a 5030 today but now I guess I need to reconsider. I have only one placement option, right below the ceiling which is 8'. No flexibility. I was going to use lens shift to place a 92" screen low enough to make viewing comfortable. However, if it comes with a large reduction in picture quality, I think I'll stick with the 64" plasma that I'm currently using.
I think some folks are overly cautious to an extreme. I don't see how a narrow ceiling placement on an 8 foot ceiling and a 92" inch screen is going to reduce your picture quality.
post #1124 of 5106 Old 10-17-2014, 01:00 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonyad View Post
I think some folks are overly cautious to an extreme. I don't see how a narrow ceiling placement on an 8 foot ceiling and a 92" inch screen is going to reduce your picture quality.
My problem is that I don't know because it'll be my first projector. But of course, I could always return it if it doesn't work out. Note that I'm not thinking about whether or not it'll fit on the wall; my concern is whether or not I can push it down enough (top of image maybe 25" from the ceiling) and still have a great picture. Nothing worse than having to look up for the duration of a movie.

Equipment and collection:
Spoiler!
post #1125 of 5106 Old 10-17-2014, 06:53 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I listened to others and just enjoyed a couple Blu-rays instead of playing with calibration discs just yet. It is an awesome projector. My first, and coming from a Panny VT50 plasma I'm spoiled. I won't say its identical to a VT50 but its awesome nonetheless. Everyone is floored by its greatness.

Painting the (family room) so its all white primed walls now; disastrous room for light control but those primed walls make a good lazy man's temporary screen. Just for fun I wanted to go for the thread record for announced image size (even though its just temporary while I wrestle w/my final image preference): throw @ 16.5 ft, zoom opened up to max, projecting a ~168 in diag 16:9 image ootb. Even on low lamp (at night) it's just fine (of course its a fresh lamp;less than 40 hr so far).

Seating is fine @ 15 ft. Move up to 11-12 and it gets a bit too overwhelming. Sit at 10 ft and it's just too much. Of course the 2.35 image is much more digestible even at the closer seating distances (though friends & family are following the bell-shaped curve wrt seating preferences with the avg @ 13-14 ft and me tolerating the closer seating).

Quiet. I was originally was going to buy the 5030. In fact I was CONVINCED my Sony fan was broken - it's that quiet. Had to hold a kleenex up to the exhaust and intake vents to prove to myself the fan was indeed working fine. Its not a strong fan. It moves HOT air out without a lot of force so I'm not sure I'd ever want to back this puppy into the back wall of a closet - the local area gets warm unless there is free, ambient, air flow available.

Sports. No problem. No motion artifacts at all on cable basketball, football, or DirecTV football. A big relief for me. Mind you on some cable/DirecTV broadcasts you need to put up with various compression artifacts. Cable sports sure aint no Blu-ray, at least not yet. So be prepared to lower your expectations a tad for cable stuff. That said sports on a big screen (at night) are awesome.

No regrets, other than history will show me being one of those suckers that bought this awesome projector BETWEEN sales. Argggg.
post #1126 of 5106 Old 10-17-2014, 08:30 PM
Advanced Member

Is this the official owner's thread now too? Because I called Mike today and got on the pre-sale list. I should have my 40ES next week.

Has anyone bought the XPAND RF transmitter yet? According to a review from August, the model number is AD025-RF-X1-R1, but I can't actually find that for sale anywhere.
post #1127 of 5106 Old 10-17-2014, 11:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hey all, great thread!

I just got my 40ES setup and am loving it! Just had a chance to play around with the 3D, I got a few sets of the PS3 glasses and they seem to work very well. This is my first 3D device so I'm a bit new to how it works.

I read that the glasses/projector use active shutter. I have times in movies when the 3D glasses almost seem to lose sync? They will get get brighter and the image is no longer 3D it just looks blurred like if the glasses were off. Often if I lean in closer toward the screen it darkens the glasses back up and the image is 3D again.

Could it be some settings I need to tweak? I have a Screen Innovations screen and the projector hangs from the ceiling, black ceiling tiles. Seats are about 12-15ft back from the screen, projector is almost directly above head on my rear row of seats.

Any input? Thanks!
post #1128 of 5106 Old 10-17-2014, 11:29 PM
Advanced Member

I don't even have a 3d PJ yet, so this ain't gospel... but to me it sounds like your glasses are losing sync.
post #1129 of 5106 Old 10-18-2014, 03:23 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I'm getting ready to buy soon, my basement is ready. It's a totally dark batcave and I'll be using a 100" wide AT screen. Seating about 13' back.

I'm debating between the 40 and the JVC X35.

The sale price seems awfully tempting. In my setup, will the improved blacks of the JVC be worth the extra cost?
post #1130 of 5106 Old 10-18-2014, 05:59 AM
Advanced Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niagara View Post
I'm getting ready to buy soon, my basement is ready. It's a totally dark batcave and I'll be using a 100" wide AT screen. Seating about 13' back.

I'm debating between the 40 and the JVC X35.

The sale price seems awfully tempting. In my setup, will the improved blacks of the JVC be worth the extra cost?
In a totally dark batcave environment the JVC will have noticeably deeper black levels than the Sony. If you only plan on movie watching, the JVC can't be beat except by another JVC.
post #1131 of 5106 Old 10-18-2014, 07:54 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 15
SONY VPL-HW40ES : New SONY SXRD 1080P home theater projector

Would anyone who has watched B&W content on this projector care to comment? Did it have a "clean" B&W image, or did it suffer from the color tinting that is common on LCD projectors? Usually whites will have a pink or bluish cast on portions of the screen (typically on the edges) with an LCD based projector. I understand this is an LCoS display but have read that it can suffer from the same issue. Also, could the pixel alignment tool help remedy this if it were a problem? Thanks.
post #1132 of 5106 Old 10-18-2014, 02:23 PM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Pulled the trigger on the AVS deal. If you're looking into the 40 I would recommend checking it out.
post #1133 of 5106 Old 10-18-2014, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argyle Shepard View Post
Pulled the trigger on the AVS deal. If you're looking into the 40 I would recommend checking it out.
What kind of a deal?!
post #1134 of 5106 Old 10-18-2014, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPWF Vizion View Post

What kind of a deal?!
I'm not sure if I can talk about it! I don't know the TOS. Call Mike at AVS!
post #1135 of 5106 Old 10-18-2014, 05:15 PM

Called. Ordered! Waiting. Thank you for the heads up.
post #1136 of 5106 Old 10-18-2014, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPWF Vizion View Post
Called. Ordered! Waiting. Thank you for the heads up.
Ha! We're proud new owners of an awesome pj!
BDUB619 likes this.

Last edited by Argyle Shepard; 10-18-2014 at 05:17 PM.
post #1137 of 5106 Old 10-18-2014, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by faustiano View Post
I was curious about how the lens shift worked. Unfortunately, I have a ceiling fan where the projector would go. I cannot put it in front of the ceiling fan because there is only 11ft to the screen. According to projectorcentral, I would need to place the projector back 11'10" to cast the 120" diagonal. So my intention was to place it next to the ceiling fan which would offset the projector by about 22" from top/center of screen.

My question regarding the Horizontal lens shift is how it is calculated. The datasheet says that it can shift by 25%, so does that mean if my screen would be 105" wide, that the image could be shifted either left or right by 26.25" (105"*25%).

Also, does anyone know how shifting the image affects for the horizontal? Is it just a loss of lumens or will the picture quality also be impacted?
If you use zero vertical lens shift you have the full 25% horizontal to use. Why not raise the fan and lower the projector?
post #1138 of 5106 Old 10-18-2014, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Not a large reduction, a small reduction. Just a guide line to follow when setting up a projector, if you want to get the most out of it.
post #1139 of 5106 Old 10-18-2014, 07:49 PM

Quote:
My problem is that I don't know because it'll be my first projector. But of course, I could always return it if it doesn't work out. Note that I'm not thinking about whether or not it'll fit on the wall; my concern is whether or not I can push it down enough (top of image maybe 25" from the ceiling) and still have a great picture. Nothing worse than having to look up for the duration of a movie.
With the Sony, you will not be able to lens shift the image down 25". If you are talking about a 130" diagonal 16:9 screen or larger, the Epson 5030 has that much vertical lens shift, as long as you are not using any horizontal lens shift. I would not recommend using all of the vertical lens shift.
post #1140 of 5106 Old 10-18-2014, 08:42 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argyle Shepard View Post
I'm not sure if I can talk about it! I don't know the TOS. Call Mike at AVS!
You can tell us after midnight
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page