AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-digital-projectors-under-3-000-usd-msrp/)
-   -   SONY VPL-HW40ES : New SONY SXRD 1080P home theater projector (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-digital-projectors-under-3-000-usd-msrp/1524377-sony-vpl-hw40es-new-sony-sxrd-1080p-home-theater-projector.html)

kraine 03-26-2014 09:09 AM

18 Attachment(s)
SONy takes everyone by surprise leaving well before the IFA homecinema a new projector. Official specifications will be announced in the coming days.

The VPL-HW40ES will come out in 2 weeks in Europe.


http://www.projection-homecinema.fr/2014/03/26/teaser-un-nouveau-videoprojecteur-arrive-dans-la-gamme-sony/

Display system High Frame Rate SXRD panel
Light Output 1700 lm
Display elements Effective display size 0.61" x 3
Display elements Effective pixels Full HD (1920x1080) x 3 6,220,800 pixels
Projection lens Zoom / Focus Manual (Approx. 1.6 x) / Manual
Projection lens Lens shift Manual, V:+/-71% / H:+/-25%
Light source Ultra High-pressure lamp 200W type
Screen size 40” to 300'‘
Reality Creation YES ( FullHD Reality Creation )
3D capability YES
3D emitter Built-in IR emitter
3D glasses TDG-PJ1 ( IR type : Bundled ) / TDG-BT500A (RF type : Optional)
Manual Caliblation RCP
Picture Position Memory No
Picture modes 9 modes
Gamma modes 7 modes
Panel Alignment Yes (Shift / Zone)

dchris 03-26-2014 09:51 AM

Very exciting!

A little birdy told me it is a model at the bodem end of the range, a new entry level projector, the HW40

Expected specifications against the HW55 are: no Reality Creation, no Frame interpolation, lower contrast and a price of €2199 which is about $3000
The actual specs are not known though.

kraine 03-26-2014 10:48 AM

18 Attachment(s)
I'm guessing this is a ggod information :

http://www.cinemadream.nl/sony-vpl-hw40

But Reality creation will be inside (Brightness expected 1800 lumens)

Cine4Home 03-30-2014 12:11 PM

Hello together,

here all the infos about the new Sony VPL-HW40 in comparison to the HW55:

http://www.cine4home.de/tests/projektoren/Sony_VPL_HW40/Sony_VPL-HW40_ES_Test.htm


Best regards,
Ekki

zombie10k 03-30-2014 12:52 PM

Ekki, thanks for the details. I'm not sure how people will react to removing the adaptive iris but it's good that they kept the lumen output the same.

Brian Hampton 03-30-2014 03:04 PM

I guess whatever feature combo you want there is a sony projector that fits.

kraine 03-31-2014 06:16 AM

18 Attachment(s)
The price is really excellent here in France : 2190€ and the SONY VPL-HW55ES Price will be decrease to 2990€

http://www.projection-homecinema.fr/2014/03/31/prix-public-du-nouvau-sony-vpl-hw40es-et-baisse-du-prix-public-pour-le-sony-vpl-hw55es/

trans_lux 03-31-2014 12:37 PM

Until we get a hands on review it look identical to the 55es less an iris, 3D glasses and some missing calibration capabilities.
All for under an estimated under $2,500!
Throw a Lumagen Mini on this and you'd have a killer setup for roughly the same cost as the 55es

Brian Hampton 03-31-2014 01:17 PM

Bless Sony for giving us so much SXRD goodness.

I feel like writing up the history of SXRD from Quilia and Ruby through to the 4K stuff and beyond.... I think it would be nifty.

Edit - Or I guess I could google it and see it's been done...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silicon_X-tal_Reflective_Display

Still in complete...

-Brian

Stereodude 03-31-2014 04:46 PM

No dynamic iris... Who's going to buy this?

Deja Vu 03-31-2014 05:50 PM


Brian Hampton 03-31-2014 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post

No dynamic iris... Who's going to buy this?

People who don't like dynamic iris perhaps.

Stereodude 03-31-2014 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hampton View Post

People who don't like dynamic iris perhaps.
Wouldn't those people gravitate to the Epson LCD projectors which have better contrast ratios (with the dynamic iris off) at a similar price?

kraine 04-01-2014 04:09 AM

18 Attachment(s)
You better order it in Europe according to the following prices for the HW40-ES in different countries :


NL €2199,-
FR €2199,-
LUX €2199,-
UK 1850GBP
USA $2500,-

TL5 04-01-2014 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraine View Post

You better order it in Europe according to the following prices for the HW40-ES in different countries :


NL €2199,-
FR €2199,-
LUX €2199,-
UK 1850GBP
USA $3000,-

According to the Sony USA press release, it's $2500 in the states.

kraine 04-01-2014 04:21 AM

18 Attachment(s)
It will be in accordance to European Price if it's really the case. smile.gif

Edit : I just checked it, you're right. So this topic is in the wrong section of this forum.

Thebes 04-01-2014 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraine View Post

It will be in accordance to European Price if it's really the case. smile.gif

Edit : I just checked it, you're right. So this topic is in the wrong section of this forum.

Hi,

yep :

https://www.avsforum.com/t/1525294/sony-vpl-vw40es-official-thread-sxrd-1080p-3d-without-d-i-msrp-under-2-500-usd

kraine 04-01-2014 08:41 AM

18 Attachment(s)
Its the VPL-HW40ES and not the VW.

wormraper 04-01-2014 03:19 PM

this is interesting news. hopefully it bests the Panny AE8000 and Epson 5030... if it does I very well may have found my next projector

kraine 04-02-2014 08:59 AM

18 Attachment(s)
I Will soon discovered it. wink.gif

Verge2 04-02-2014 05:22 PM

3000 dollar HW model? Meh



Sorry, I was thinking of the HS models.

deffusse 04-03-2014 11:20 AM

can't wait for this projector, sony save me I trust you biggrin.gif (I don't even need a review)

Stereodude 04-03-2014 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deffusse View Post

can't wait for this projector, sony save me I trust you biggrin.gif (I don't even need a review)
The best way to buy a confirmed turd!

Mike Garrett 04-03-2014 04:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)

wormraper 04-03-2014 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post

The best way to buy a confirmed turd!

how is it a confirmed turd?

Stereodude 04-03-2014 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormraper View Post

how is it a confirmed turd?
Did you read the cine4home piece on it?

I did and don't see who Sony is going to sell it to unless they're going for the uninformed Sony shopper.

wormraper 04-03-2014 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post

Did you read the cine4home piece on it?

I did and don't see who Sony is going to sell it to unless they're going for the uninformed Sony shopper.

I hadn't seen any information on it besides here. you mind posting a link to the write up?

Stereodude 04-03-2014 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormraper View Post

I hadn't seen any information on it besides here. you mind posting a link to the write up?
The link is in post #11.

av4fun 04-03-2014 08:02 PM

I have been waiting for Sony to announce a projector in this price range, now I am not too sure...will need to wait for reviews.

Lack of Dynamic iris is a bummer. The brochure avoids to mention the contrast ratio for HW40ES. It's probably between 3000:1 to 5000:1 as mentioned by the German website. It will be interesting to see how it will compete against Epson 5030.

Maybe I should just jump on HW30ES ...decisions ..decisions rolleyes.gif

Verge2 04-04-2014 05:23 AM

Some people don't use the iris, I do.

If you are considering an upgrade, you better call avs for a 40 before they are gone.

Stereodude 04-04-2014 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verge2 View Post

Some people don't use the iris, I do.
But it seems like there are higher native contrast projector that would appeal the no iris crowd like the latest Epson 9200/5030 or a used/refurb JVC.

neo_2009 04-04-2014 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post

... like the latest Epson 9200/5030 or a used/refurb JVC.

Do we now the real native contrast numbers of the Epson 9200/5030?
The soon to be discontinued JVC X35 has around 20:000:1 much more than the expected 7000:1 from the HW40 ...

deffusse 04-04-2014 11:18 AM

20000:1 native?, I doubt....

av4fun 04-04-2014 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deffusse View Post

20000:1 native?, I doubt....

JVC webstie claims X35B to be 50000:1 Native contrast .... "Highest NATIVE Contrast Ratio in class (50,000:1) and no Dynamic Iris"

neo_2009 04-04-2014 01:02 PM

^^^
"JVC claimed a contrast ratio of 50,000:1 for the X35 and we actually measured it at 32,000:1, which is excellent. The blacks produced by the projector were superb, measuring 0.01 cd/m2, and the resulting dynamic range was impressive."
Source : http://www.avforums.com/review/jvc-x35-dila-projector-review.448

Stereodude 04-04-2014 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo_2009 View Post

Do we now the real native contrast numbers of the Epson 9200/5030?
Cine4home measured ~7000:1 to 8500:1 when calibrated
Quote:
The soon to be discontinued JVC X35 has around 20:000:1 much more than the expected 7000:1 from the HW40 ...
Cine4home says the HW40 will measure around 3000:1 to 5000:1.

neo_2009 04-04-2014 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post

Cine4home says the HW40 will measure around 3000:1 to 5000:1.
Uau, even my old Mits HC3100 measure 3000:1 in the cinema4home review frown.gif

Verge2 04-04-2014 07:11 PM

They measured it at 3000, you got a link for that?

The 55 only measures 7000 with no iris.

neo_2009 04-05-2014 06:11 AM

^^
HC-3100 - Measurements "D65 / 6500K ", Iris closed: 3000:1

Source : http://cineforhome.com/reviews/projectors/MitsuHC3100-1100/HC3100-1100Review.htm

Verge2 04-06-2014 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo_2009 View Post

^^
HC-3100 - Measurements "D65 / 6500K ", Iris closed: 3000:1

Source : http://cineforhome.com/reviews/projectors/MitsuHC3100-1100/HC3100-1100Review.htm

Wow, surely it's not 3000:1 native. I had a 3000, and the black levels were simply awful compared to lcos stuff that's 5 years old. They were just estimating, hopefully they estimate wrong.

timescape7 04-07-2014 06:07 AM

Probably better to see it before we judge...if the panel has improved, it still do a reasonable black... 2 cents.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post

No dynamic iris... Who's going to buy this?

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk 2

timescape7 04-07-2014 06:46 AM

No Iris, does this produce the same results as hw55es Iris Off?

av4fun 04-07-2014 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timescape7 View Post

No Iris, does this produce the same results as hw55es Iris Off?

I am hoping it will be but we will need to wait and find out. I went to Magnolia yesterday to check out HW55ES with DI off and the black did look fine for me. It was better than the Epson 6030 they had on display. I was trying to pickup a HW30 but now I will wait for HW40. I just got my Fedral refund wink.gif

enricoclaudio 04-07-2014 10:59 AM

I have been waiting 2 years to upgrade my Sony VPL-VW40 to a newer Sony model. I was saving for the HW55ES but if the HW40 looks pretty close to the HW55ES then I will go for HW40. Either way I have DI off in my current projector because it's too distracting for me. I just can't justify $4000 on a projector only to watch two or three movies a month but $2500 is OK.

timescape7 04-07-2014 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by av4fun View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by timescape7 View Post

No Iris, does this produce the same results as hw55es Iris Off?

I am hoping it will be but we will need to wait and find out. I went to Magnolia yesterday to check out HW55ES with DI off and the black did look fine for me. It was better than the Epson 6030 they had on display. I was trying to pickup a HW30 but now I will wait for HW40. I just got my Fedral refund wink.gif


If so, it's a good buy for sure since I don't own a cave room. Reality Creation is a plus for this model.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk 2

Stusok 04-24-2014 03:44 PM

Was talking to dealer and said they went for training For Sony's 2014 product s and one of them was a comparison between the 55 and the 40 projectors side by side and was no difference.

blueskies758 04-24-2014 07:38 PM

Some initial impressions are now coming out - dont think anyone posted this yet :


http://www.chromapure.co.uk/details.asp?id=109&type=news


Wife and I will be starting a dedicated theater room late summer and I will be watching this model closely.
In the end I may go with the 55ES or maybe snag a closeout 30ES as the manual iris is probably important to me.

Most ES 50 and 55 users seem to say that the reality creation is best left at a very low level. I may be ok without the feature.

Sonyad 04-25-2014 09:44 PM

Saw a video here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1iqSaWWWb8 however it's all German to me.

EL Duke 04-26-2014 12:26 AM

Wish I knew German! Anyone give a breakdown???

Maarten110 04-27-2014 02:52 AM

Hey guys.....

 

 

i have for you a google translate of a Dutch review.

 

http://translate.google.nl/translate?hl=nl&sl=nl&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.htforum.nl%2Fyabbse%2Findex.php%3Ftopic%3D142394.0

 

 

 

verdict:

 

[img]http://www.htforum.nl/status/goud.jpg[/img]

 

edit: why the **** doesnt my jpg code works, i type my code correctly but the site adds some "%5b" in the link, thats weird


curtishd 04-30-2014 03:45 PM

Anything new? When is it out in USA?

Stusok 04-30-2014 08:08 PM

It available in Canada now. Dealer said ready to ship. Must be out in the states

Stusok 04-30-2014 08:09 PM

It available in Canada now. Dealer said ready to ship. Must be out in the states

curtishd 05-01-2014 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stusok View Post

It available in Canada now. Dealer said ready to ship. Must be out in the states

So who has them and how much?
Any USA reviews?

Stusok 05-01-2014 08:45 PM

www.updatetvandstereo.com and www.eastporters.com are the two in Ontario that I got quotes from. Eastporters has an amazing showroom with 7 different projectors to show the difference. They did not have the VPL HW40ES set up so all I saw was the 55 but he had just returned from a Sony show and he was hard pressed to tell the difference from the two projectors. As for reviews there is nothing in English that I can find.

bigsmoooth1414 05-02-2014 05:11 PM

Just saw the VPL-HW40ES at Stereo East in Frisco, TX. It's fantastic. Looks like a HW55ES almost exactly. The black level isn't quite as good due to the lack of the auto iris but I thought they were more than acceptable.

Stereodude 05-02-2014 05:37 PM

I don't really see how that's possible. Either the HW55ES has a poor iris implementation (very unlikely), the content being shown isn't helped by an iris, or the viewing environment wasn't dark enough to appreciate the difference.

bigsmoooth1414 05-02-2014 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post

I don't really see how that's possible. Either the HW55ES has a poor iris implementation (very unlikely), the content being shown isn't helped by an iris, or the viewing environment wasn't dark enough to appreciate the difference.

I'm honestly not that picky about black level when looking a $2500 projector. It's spectacular at that price. I'll try to add some pictures I took on my phone:



blueskies758 05-02-2014 08:10 PM

Big smooth that home theater store is 20 min from me. Now you have my curiosity !! I was on the fence due to the lack of auto iris but those pics look pretty dag blame good.
Ack! decisions!

enricoclaudio 05-05-2014 01:16 PM

It's up at Sony USA:

http://store.sony.com/economical-full-hd-home-theater-es-projector-with-reality-creation-3d-zid27-VPLHW40ES/cat-27-catid-All-Home-Theater-Projectors?_t=pfm%3Dcategory

A little bit confusing the contrast specifications, 100000:1 or 120000:1?

Extra lamp coupon included but no 3D glasses.

Stereodude 05-05-2014 05:10 PM

It can't possibly hit those contrast numbers unless it has a dynamic iris. Does it? All the information at the start of the thread says no.

timescape7 05-06-2014 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post

It's up at Sony USA:

http://store.sony.com/economical-full-hd-home-theater-es-projector-with-reality-creation-3d-zid27-VPLHW40ES/cat-27-catid-All-Home-Theater-Projectors?_t=pfm%3Dcategory

A little bit confusing the contrast specifications, 100000:1 or 120000:1?

Extra lamp coupon included but no 3D glasses.

It's probably error entry. In other parts of the world, no mentioned of CR numbers.

Stereodude 05-06-2014 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timescape7 View Post

It's probably error entry. In other parts of the world, no mentioned of CR numbers.
The listing seems to just be a copy and paste of the HW55ES, so that probably explains the dynamic contrast numbers.

Craig Peer 05-06-2014 11:30 AM

AV Science has a new Sony HW40ES in stock, just FYI. smile.gif

enricoclaudio 05-06-2014 11:38 AM

I'm waiting for reviews to take a decision but the HW40 looks killer. Iris is not a deal breaker for me because I always turn it off.

Niagara 05-07-2014 01:55 PM

This machine looks sweet. I was ready to pull the trigger on the Epson 5030 but I'm really intrigued by this.

I'm in construction stage now of a totally dark man-cave. I think a low-gain screen would compensate for the lack of dynamic iris.

I like the 21 db quietness too, my seating will be directly below the PJ.

Niagara 05-10-2014 08:02 PM

I don't live very far from Hamilton On, so I had the opportunity to stop by Eastporters today. I'd like to say firstly I was very impressed with the place. Dave was friendly and quite knowledgeable. I'll be buying from them soon.

I was able to see a demo of 3 PJs:

-the Sony HW55ES (they don't have a 40 yet)
-the Epson 5030
-the JVC X35

The room was totally dark using a 1.0 gain screen, I forget which make. Demo disk was Avatar, the opening sequence where the ship is drifting through space with the black space background.

I could not see any noticeable difference between the Epson and the Sony. Therefore I have dropped the Sony HW40 from my list. If the 55 isn't any better than the Epson, the 40 which lacks the DI must be a step down.
Picture quality and blacks seemed equal on both machines.

Now, here's where it gets interesting. Dave then demoed the JVC X35. I was blown away. The blacks were extremely deep and the colours were stunning. The backdrop of stars against deep space was nothing short of amazing. The colour scenes, like the blue interior of the spacecraft "popped" right out of the screen.

(Am I allowed to talk price??? I apologize if not) The JVC is about $600 more than the Epson but includes a spare lamp. But the Epson includes 2 sets of glasses.

So I am strongly considering the JVC even though it's a bit outside my budget. The LCOS technology seemed to me more vivid than the Epson LCD plus I like the idea of a sealed light engine so no dust blobs. And better build quality. Dave said they get a lot of returns and service headaches on the Epson.

So much to think about...

Stusok 05-11-2014 06:11 AM



Its here!!

Stusok 05-11-2014 06:22 AM

Great store!! The first time I was able to see all projectors together and see all the comparison other than trusting reviews. I highly recommend any one in area to stop in!

lordmetroid 05-11-2014 03:05 PM

I want a quiet as possible projector, is this the best option? Or is their an even quieter projector?

Pecker 05-12-2014 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niagara View Post

I don't live very far from Hamilton On, so I had the opportunity to stop by Eastporters today. I'd like to say firstly I was very impressed with the place. Dave was friendly and quite knowledgeable. I'll be buying from them soon.

I was able to see a demo of 3 PJs:

-the Sony HW55ES (they don't have a 40 yet)
-the Epson 5030
-the JVC X35

The room was totally dark using a 1.0 gain screen, I forget which make. Demo disk was Avatar, the opening sequence where the ship is drifting through space with the black space background.

I could not see any noticeable difference between the Epson and the Sony. Therefore I have dropped the Sony HW40 from my list. If the 55 isn't any better than the Epson, the 40 which lacks the DI must be a step down.
Picture quality and blacks seemed equal on both machines.

Now, here's where it gets interesting. Dave then demoed the JVC X35. I was blown away. The blacks were extremely deep and the colours were stunning. The backdrop of stars against deep space was nothing short of amazing. The colour scenes, like the blue interior of the spacecraft "popped" right out of the screen.

(Am I allowed to talk price??? I apologize if not) The JVC is about $600 more than the Epson but includes a spare lamp. But the Epson includes 2 sets of glasses.

So I am strongly considering the JVC even though it's a bit outside my budget. The LCOS technology seemed to me more vivid than the Epson LCD plus I like the idea of a sealed light engine so no dust blobs. And better build quality. Dave said they get a lot of returns and service headaches on the Epson.

So much to think about...

What size screen was the demo?

Were they using the manual iris at all on the 55?

Steve W

enricoclaudio 05-12-2014 10:03 PM

http://www.forbes.com/sites/geoffreymorrison/2014/05/12/sony-vpl-hw40es-review/

Not a professional review but at least something to read until we get serious reviews.

kraine 05-13-2014 05:14 AM

18 Attachment(s)
And soon there will be a french review online wink.gif


Niagara 05-13-2014 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecker View Post

What size screen was the demo?

Were they using the manual iris at all on the 55?

Steve W

Hi Steve. I forget the exact screen size but it was about 115" diag give or take. He didn't touch the iris at all on the Sony.

I agree 100% with the review in Enrico's link (the Forbes article review). The Epson and Sony both looked excellent, roughly equal in contrast/blacks and picture quality. But the JVC was head and shoulders better than both in deep blacks. All 3 are great machines I don't think you can go wrong with either. That article is spot on.

My last PJ was bought 10 years ago, the Sanyo Z2. I'm tired of murky greys. For that reason I'm leaning on the JVC for my cave. A little pricy but includes a spare lamp.

So I guess that puts me in the wrong thread. I'll bow out.

enricoclaudio 05-13-2014 07:20 AM

The HW40ES includes a spare lamp too.

Pecker 05-13-2014 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niagara View Post

Hi Steve. I forget the exact screen size but it was about 115" diag give or take. He didn't touch the iris at all on the Sony.

I agree 100% with the review in Enrico's link (the Forbes article review). The Epson and Sony both looked excellent, roughly equal in contrast/blacks and picture quality. But the JVC was head and shoulders better than both in deep blacks. All 3 are great machines I don't think you can go wrong with either. That article is spot on.

My last PJ was bought 10 years ago, the Sanyo Z2. I'm tired of murky greys. For that reason I'm leaning on the JVC for my cave. A little pricy but includes a spare lamp.

So I guess that puts me in the wrong thread. I'll bow out.

No, that's okay. All views welcome.

What I'm thinking is this - the Sonys are known for being brighter than the JVCs, but the JVCs for having blacker blacks.

With the manual iris closed down c/w low lamp mode, or on a larger screen, the Sony's blacks may look better and there'll be less of a difference. If you have a large screen the JVC might not be bright enough. The JVCs give out virtually zero light for black, so increasing screen size won't improve things for them, whilst they will for the Sony.

What I've heard is that the Sony's blacks aren't as good as the JVC, but that they're not a million miles away. I've also heard good things about the automatic iris, though I know they're not everyone's cup of poison. Finally, they're generally accepted as being better at handling motion than the JVCs.

I'm considering a Sony. I'm coming from DLP, and was hoping for good things from the Optoma HD91, but it looks just a little dim for my screen. As a DLP fan I'm used to blacks not being 'inky', so that's perhaps less of a problem with the Sony for me. I am, however, not a big fan of LCD-based projectors' motion handling, so improvements here in the Sonys (over the Epsons and JVCs) is a big benefit.

Will I be persuaded to 'go over to the (not quite so) dark side', and buy a Sony? Will the 55 be worth the extra over the 40? Dunno, I'm going to demo soon.

Your comments are more than welcome.

Steve W

Niagara 05-13-2014 07:46 AM

Good comments Steve. The salesman seemed to be biased towards selling the JVC. He did seem to downplay the Sony.

Good point about the iris, if it was closed down it might narrow the difference.

I have a totally black cave. It's an addition to our house - a full basement with no windows. My screen will be 115" diag so I think the brightness will be fine no matter which I choose.

enricoclaudio 05-13-2014 08:27 AM

Animate movies are not the best choice when demo projectors, including Avatar. Avatar looks great on almost every projector even in my old Sony VPL-VW40 from 2008. But if I'm a sales man then Avatar would be my first choice if I want to impress a customer looking for a projector. BTW I'm not questioning the fact that JVC has better blacks, that's something that everybody here knows wink.gif If I have a basement the JVC would be my top choice if not the only one.

GeoffreyMorrison 05-13-2014 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post

http://www.forbes.com/sites/geoffreymorrison/2014/05/12/sony-vpl-hw40es-review/

Not a professional review but at least something to read until we get serious reviews.

LOL "Not a professional review"

enricoclaudio 05-13-2014 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffreyMorrison View Post

LOL "Not a professional review"

My apologies for use the incorrect word. I wanted to say incomplete or " Not a full review" instead. But it was pleasant to read, though!!

GeoffreyMorrison 05-13-2014 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post

My apologies for use the incorrect word. I wanted to say incomplete or " Not a full review" instead. But it was pleasant to read, though!!

So contrast ratio, light output, color temp, color space, input lag, and gamma measurements, plus side-by-side testing with the Epson 5030 and JVC X35 using an HDMI splitter is incomplete?

Thanks a lot. Sorry I didn't blabber on for 2,000 words about how the remote feels.

kaotikr1 05-13-2014 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffreyMorrison View Post

So contrast ratio, light output, color temp, color space, input lag, and gamma measurements, plus side-by-side testing with the Epson 5030 and JVC X35 using an HDMI splitter is incomplete?

Thanks a lot. Sorry I didn't blabber on for 2,000 words about how the remote feels.

I read the review and thought it was very good, but I didn't see anything about input lag so I went back through and even searched for "game" "input" "lag" and no hits came up...where am I missing that....?

GeoffreyMorrison 05-13-2014 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaotikr1 View Post

I read the review and thought it was very good, but I didn't see anything about input lag so I went back through and even searched for "game" "input" "lag" and no hits came up...where am I missing that....?

Weird, thanks for the catch. Not sure how that happened. It's up there now.

One of the best I've measured, in terms of input lag.

enricoclaudio 05-13-2014 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffreyMorrison View Post

So contrast ratio, light output, color temp, color space, input lag, and gamma measurements, plus side-by-side testing with the Epson 5030 and JVC X35 using an HDMI splitter is incomplete?

Thanks a lot. Sorry I didn't blabber on for 2,000 words about how the remote feels.

What about screen size, screen gain, throw distance, room lighting conditions (living room, dedicate HT, totally light controlled room??), input lag, iris, reality creation, panel aliment, 3D performance...

enricoclaudio 05-13-2014 02:09 PM

Sorry I can see you add the input lag. WOW that's impressive. Can you tell us if it comes with dynamic iris? Sony does not say anything about this on specifications and the user manual is not available yet. Thanks!!!

GeoffreyMorrison 05-13-2014 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post

What about screen size, screen gain, throw distance, room lighting conditions (living room, dedicate HT, totally light controlled room??), input lag, iris, reality creation, panel aliment, 3D performance...

The screen is mentioned (thanks for reading)

The room was dark because I'm not an idiot and this isn't my first rodeo.

There is no iris.

Input lag is mentioned.

I didn't get into Reality Creation, as it's the same as with other recent Sony PJs. I found on its lowest settings, it does increase the apparent detail a little. It's worth playing with if you get the PJ, but shouldn't be a factor in buying this PJ (there are other aspects that are far more important).

I didn't review the 3D performance because it doesn't seem anyone cares anymore. My mistake if you do. Given how similar the 40 is to the 55, I'd expect 3D performance to be roughly the same. The 40 doesn't come with glasses however, so add $130 per person to your calculation on price.

GeoffreyMorrison 05-13-2014 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post

Sorry I can see you add the input lag. WOW that's impressive. Can you tell us if it comes with dynamic iris? Sony does not say anything about this on specifications and the user manual is not available yet. Thanks!!!

I didn't realize Sony doesn't say it doesn't have an iris. That is weird. I'll add that to the review.

AV_Integrated 05-13-2014 02:30 PM

Geoffrey - It's awesome that you are coming on to follow up with some points. You mention the JVC is a better model for home theater, but how far off is the Sony really? Also, for motion, I've always found that DLP is far ahead of what LCoS and LCD deliver in terms of a non-blurred image. No doubt over the years the LCD models for sure tend to be blurry compared to DLP, but how does the Sony stack up for motion? This is important for those viewing sports and playing video games. Finally, did they send you some 3D glasses to check out? Sony typically is solid with 3D and a step ahead of JVC. While many don't care about 3D, it certainly remains the case that for those who enjoy 3D, front projection is THE place to get it!

Certainly lens shift range and zoom range are nice to know, but are math instead of opinion, and I would certainly appreciate your long-experienced opinion on the above questions if you would care to share.

Thanks!

GeoffreyMorrison 05-13-2014 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post

Geoffrey - It's awesome that you are coming on to follow up with some points. You mention the JVC is a better model for home theater, but how far off is the Sony really? Also, for motion, I've always found that DLP is far ahead of what LCoS and LCD deliver in terms of a non-blurred image. No doubt over the years the LCD models for sure tend to be blurry compared to DLP, but how does the Sony stack up for motion? This is important for those viewing sports and playing video games. Finally, did they send you some 3D glasses to check out? Sony typically is solid with 3D and a step ahead of JVC. While many don't care about 3D, it certainly remains the case that for those who enjoy 3D, front projection is THE place to get it!

Certainly lens shift range and zoom range are nice to know, but are math instead of opinion, and I would certainly appreciate your long-experienced opinion on the above questions if you would care to share.

Thanks!

I measured the JVC X35 as having something like 38,000:1 contrast ratio. One of the highest I've ever measured. The 40ES, using the same methodology and screen, measures 5151:1. So yeah, it's a LOT lower. It doesn't have the depth or richness that the JVC has. That's not to say it doesn't look good. The Sony looks fantastic, but you can't beat contrast ratio (IMO and after years of comparative group testing). The Sony has a lot of other positives though, that it's brighter, has lower input lag, more accurate color, is a little quieter, and, of course, is $1,000 cheaper.

That all said, is the JVC 7x better looking, as the numbers suggest? No. But it does look better, more "film like."

Yeah, DLP is way better for motion blur. WAY better. LCOS and LCD can't compete. The motion interpolation and black frame insertion modes on the Sony help, but no LCOS is going to be as free from motion blur as DLP. If you don't mind SOE, then the Sony is fine. I don't harp on it much in reviews because LCD fanboys always cry fowl that I'm always complaining about motion blur, but it bugs the crap out of me. Doesn't stop me from enjoying an otherwise good image though, which LCOS (usually) delivers.

Sony didn't send any 3D glasses, but I'm sure I have a pair here that will work with it (probably left over from the 50ES). If I can find them I'll have a look.

AV_Integrated 05-13-2014 03:28 PM

That would be great. The general consensus (which I agree with) is that in a 2D world, the X35/RS46 models are the entry level LCoS units to beat and the projector to beat. It is good, but not great with 3D, and is very usable on screens up to around 120"-133" in a light controlled theater. It's the theater projector. Not the 'I wanna projector' projector.

Sony seems to be the one to go to for more general viewing. Brighter with excellent build and image quality with better 3D. A more versatile projector for larger screens or for less than 'theater' situations.

So, I guess the question would be: Why get the Epson? The 5030, at this point, seems a bit overpriced. Epson had the 8350 and the 8700UB models with incredible lens shift and good optics at very different price points, but then the 3020 lost the lens shift of the 8350. The 5030 kept it, along with the higher price tag. But, now, the 5030 seems to be getting bested by the Sony at $2,500 MSRP, which should mean a bit less in the real world. So with the Epson available at $2,600 (Visual Apex) right now, it's not exactly a deal. In fact, considering the free spare lamp, the Sony may be a better deal right now and may be available for less. Though, Sony tends to be tight with street pricing.

Worth mentioning that street pricing for JVC tends to be well under MSRP and the RS46 is easily available from around $2,800 with the X35 not far off.

My personal concern is my 161" screen which I would love a RS46 for, but know the light output just won't cut it, but really thinking of a Sony model when I finish the space. 3D is secondary to my concerns or a non-issue. But, filling a screen that size is a challenge for most projectors. I was floored by how well the W1070 has been doing, but that projector is meant as a holdover until I finish my space.

But, for recommendations to others, it seems silly to go with the Epson 5030 over the Sony. LCoS looks better, it always has from what I've seen. I don't know why I would spend the same on a LCD projector. The big advantage LCD has had for years has been price, but DLP comes out way ahead (W1070) with great models and LCoS is closing in on pricing from the other end. Why buy the Epson 5030?

barleyguy 05-13-2014 07:55 PM

I've been pondering between the Epson 5030 and the Panasonic 8000.  But now I'm planning to get one of these instead.  (I also pondered the new JVC, but it's not bright enough and doesn't have any analog inputs.  Which won't work for me.)

 

The lack of dynamic iris isn't an issue for me, because I'd turn it off anyway.  On my current projector as well as my my TV I have the dynamic contrast turned off, because it ruins the immersion for me.  I notice it visually, and then start thinking about the display instead of the movie.

 

My main concern for this is whether it's bright enough for my living room.  I have a "cave" in my basement where I used to have a screen set up, but found that I wasn't using it much anymore.  I also didn't want my TV as the focus of my living room upstairs.  I want an "invisible when off" vibe.  So I moved the TV down to the cave, and had a wall upstairs painted a super smooth white (ProClassic Extra White as recommended on Projector Central).  My projector is now upstairs.  I find I'm using it more now, and I like the decor better this way.

 

Geoffrey, can you post your calibration settings that you used for this projector?  It seems that you got almost perfect calibration even though you said the CMS is "wonky".

 

Also, can you expand on your feelings of whether this is a good living room projector, as in moderate ambient light before 9 PM?

 

Thanks,

 

Harley.

 

P.S. I swear I used to have an account here, but it seems to have vanished.  This upgrade will be my 6th projector since 1996.


AV_Integrated 05-14-2014 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barleyguy View Post

I've been pondering between the Epson 5030 and the Panasonic 8000.  But now I'm planning to get one of these instead.  (I also pondered the new JVC, but it's not bright enough and doesn't have any analog inputs.  Which won't work for me.)
The JVC really is more of a home theater model for a solid room, so I agree it's probably not the right choice for your room.

But, a correction is that the RS46 has analog inputs. It has a DB15 connection for a PC source as well as an analog component video input on the back of it. I'm expecting that the VGA input can possibly be set to composite, s-video, component video, or VGA as necessary. But, it certainly has analog inputs. You made me double check though! smile.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by barleyguy View Post

My main concern for this is whether it's bright enough for my living room.
What projector are you using now? Considering that the review indicated the Sony to be the same brightness as the 5030, I would expect this to be a solidly bright model for a 100" or so screen in a room with some ambient light in it. It remains the case the controlling light is the best thing you can do for front projection, but if you are currently using a projection setup, then this model certainly seems a no-brainer compared to the Epson or Panny models.

deffusse 05-14-2014 08:41 AM

...what about lens quality? Everyone talk about contrast ratio etc.., but what about lenses used in benq w 7500, hw40es or x35 in comparision?

barleyguy 05-14-2014 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post


The JVC really is more of a home theater model for a solid room, so I agree it's probably not the right choice for your room.

But, a correction is that the RS46 has analog inputs. It has a DB15 connection for a PC source as well as an analog component video input on the back of it. I'm expecting that the VGA input can possibly be set to composite, s-video, component video, or VGA as necessary. But, it certainly has analog inputs. You made me double check though! smile.gif
What projector are you using now? Considering that the review indicated the Sony to be the same brightness as the 5030, I would expect this to be a solidly bright model for a 100" or so screen in a room with some ambient light in it. It remains the case the controlling light is the best thing you can do for front projection, but if you are currently using a projection setup, then this model certainly seems a no-brainer compared to the Epson or Panny models.

My current projector is a Mitsubishi HC4900 (which I partially chose for low fan noise).  It works OK in the evening, but is completely washed out during the day.  I have fairly dark front curtains in the living room, but the kitchen across the house is open.  So the light is indirect but is definitely brighter during the day.

 

The LCOS, Sony electronics, and low fan noise do make this an appealing choice, as long as it's bright enough.

 

Thanks.


GeoffreyMorrison 05-14-2014 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barleyguy View Post

I've been pondering between the Epson 5030 and the Panasonic 8000.  But now I'm planning to get one of these instead.  (I also pondered the new JVC, but it's not bright enough and doesn't have any analog inputs.  Which won't work for me.)

The lack of dynamic iris isn't an issue for me, because I'd turn it off anyway.  On my current projector as well as my my TV I have the dynamic contrast turned off, because it ruins the immersion for me.  I notice it visually, and then start thinking about the display instead of the movie.

My main concern for this is whether it's bright enough for my living room.  I have a "cave" in my basement where I used to have a screen set up, but found that I wasn't using it much anymore.  I also didn't want my TV as the focus of my living room upstairs.  I want an "invisible when off" vibe.  So I moved the TV down to the cave, and had a wall upstairs painted a super smooth white (ProClassic Extra White as recommended on Projector Central).  My projector is now upstairs.  I find I'm using it more now, and I like the decor better this way.

Geoffrey, can you post your calibration settings that you used for this projector?  It seems that you got almost perfect calibration even though you said the CMS is "wonky".

Also, can you expand on your feelings of whether this is a good living room projector, as in moderate ambient light before 9 PM?

Thanks,

Harley.

P.S. I swear I used to have an account here, but it seems to have vanished.  This upgrade will be my 6th projector since 1996.

I got 39 fL from the VPL-HW40ES on my 102-inch 1.0 gain screen. That's pretty bright, and I've only measured a few that were brighter (last year's Epson 5020 was one). There are some DLP PJs that are brighter as well, but have a much lower contrast ratio. Or to put it better, if you don't have reasonable light control in your room, no projector is going to work.

I don't post calibration settings as I feel they do more harm than good. Your projector and screen are going to be different from mine, and there's enough variation there to make it impossible to say if my settings will be better or worse than the stock settings on your projector.

GeoffreyMorrison 05-14-2014 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barleyguy View Post

My current projector is a Mitsubishi HC4900 (which I partially chose for low fan noise).  It works OK in the evening, but is completely washed out during the day.  I have fairly dark front curtains in the living room, but the kitchen across the house is open.  So the light is indirect but is definitely brighter during the day.

The LCOS, Sony electronics, and low fan noise do make this an appealing choice, as long as it's bright enough.

Thanks.

I haven't measured that Mits, but Al did at S&V. It seems he got 10 fL from the low lamp mode, but didn't mention what the high lamp mode was. I doubt it was over 15. So the Sony is more than twice that.

But again, I didn't measure it, it's on a different screen, and he didn't list high lamp setting.

barleyguy 05-14-2014 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffreyMorrison View Post


I haven't measured that Mits, but Al did at S&V. It seems he got 10 fL from the low lamp mode, but didn't mention what the high lamp mode was. I doubt it was over 15. So the Sony is more than twice that.

But again, I didn't measure it, it's on a different screen, and he didn't list high lamp setting.


That's really good info.  If I'm optimistically getting 15 now and get 39 from the Sony, it should work great for my application.

 

My screen is around 1.1 gain, and less than 100", maybe 95 or so.  It's paint, so it's not exactly on an inch.


GeoffreyMorrison 05-14-2014 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barleyguy View Post


That's really good info.  If I'm optimistically getting 15 now and get 39 from the Sony, it should work great for my application.

My screen is around 1.1 gain, and less than 100", maybe 95 or so.  It's paint, so it's not exactly on an inch.

If your screen is 1.1, and if it's 95-inches, and if the Sony you get has the same light output as mine, that could be 50 fL, which is as bright as many plasmas.

Keep in mind though, any room light is going to wash that out. You're still going to lose the dark parts of the image to ambient light.

lordmetroid 05-14-2014 03:51 PM

The blackness of the JVC X35 is a waste in a bright room, right? I might as well go for the brighter HW40ES, right?

AV_Integrated 05-14-2014 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barleyguy View Post


That's really good info.  If I'm optimistically getting 15 now and get 39 from the Sony, it should work great for my application.

My screen is around 1.1 gain, and less than 100", maybe 95 or so.  It's paint, so it's not exactly on an inch.
Your room sounds ideal for a light rejecting screen.

I'm not in love with the black screens, but if you do get the Sony, and you aren't happy with it, then a black screen may be ideal for you and worth looking into.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:11 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.