AVS Forum banner

Not my first rodeo but I do need help

749 views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  kevinlg 
#1 ·
Hey guys, havent been here in a while but I was never too active to begin with

I need as much help as I can get choosing my next projector. I had an Acer H6510BD but sold it due to many things(wasn't happy with the blacks especially coming from a panny VT plasma, no lens shift, etc) so now I come with a stronger budget and I'm hoping to find the right projector for me!

My must haves are:

1080p-4k(If 4k I can go over my $2500 budget but that's not needed unless it's a smoking deal!)

Shifting lens (I don't know the exact name for it but you know what I mean, the one where you can adjust the lens and it's not fixed so I could place it on the side or corner or so forth

50,000:1 contrast ratio minimum ( the acer was 10k:1 and it wasn't bad but I want more if I'm paying 4 times more than what I paid for the acer)

Black levels have to be good! ( I need help on choosing a proper screen too, guys! 120-150 inch preferably)

I know I'm asking for alot for my budget but I'm sure everything is possible! I don't care for 3D at all but if it comes with it that's just icing on top. I really hope I don't max out my budget either as I do want to stay under $2,000

I will mainly use this for blu rays and some xbox one gaming

Hopefully I get some answers and help!

I won't be lazy and sit around and get answers fed to me either, I'll be doing my own research and posting here with updates

See less See more
#2 ·
There's a BIG difference between good brightness at 120" and 150". So you really need to pick your screen size, then pick a projector.

At the upper end of your screen size selection, the only projector with higher contrast that'd be able to fill it up would be an Epson 5030 IMO.

#3 ·
The measurements on the Sony 40ES will allow for it as well with a minimal gain (1.3-1.4) screen.

I would take a close look at the Sony 40ES and the Epson 5030. Both are bright enough for the screen size you mention and have solid blacks and overall performance.

Do NOT read stupid manufacturer claims on contrast ratios or brightness or anything else! Read the reviews. Seriously! Don't get suckered in. The reviews, not the advertising, will tell you what's up.

The JVC RS46 while only rated at 50,000:1 contrast ratio, has the best blacks under $3,000 for any projector out there, by far. Including the 600,000:1 rating of the Epson 5030.

#4 ·
Thanks for the info guys! Yeah now looking at more info it looks like this will not be a living room set-up anymore so I will actually wait it out a bit and actually build a proprietary home theater room! Light won't be an issue and neither will paint as I will prep it properly with both velvet and matte colors.

What do you mean by "gains" on the screen? How do I know what proper one to use? I will actually be happy with a 120 inch screen, I was more than content with my old 100 inch but now that it will be an actually room just for this then I'm excited to go all out with it.

I'll get started and start researching both of those projectors right away and narrow it down

The projector will be give or take 12-17 feet away from the screen so I will look into throw ratios as well.

Yeah the best blacks will net the winner in my opinion, I dont care for much else really as I will always choose a plasma over a brighter LCD/LED tv

#5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinlg  /t/1534025/not-my-first-rodeo-but-i-do-need-help#post_24783332

What do you mean by "gains" on the screen?
Here's what you need:
Screen Gain Information

If you intend to build a space dedicated as a theater environment with no windows and properly blacked out, AND your primary viewing intent is movies, then the JVC RS46 is the best model under $3,000 for this type of viewing.

#6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated  /t/1534025/not-my-first-rodeo-but-i-do-need-help#post_24784404

Here's what you need:
Screen Gain Information

If you intend to build a space dedicated as a theater environment with no windows and properly blacked out, AND your primary viewing intent is movies, then the JVC RS46 is the best model under $3,000 for this type of viewing.

I would also like to play xbox one on there, and that's it. TV and other things will be viewed on my 55 inch panny ST50 in the living room

How do you feel about the epson though, it feels like that's a worthy competitor. I looked at the Sony and no one seems impressed with its black levels so that's out of the question.

#7 ·
If you want blacks, you want the JVC. I don't see any disadvantage unless you're really stepping up to a big screen size, as the Epson probably has a little more horsepower to light up the big screen.

The JVC will do 120", maybe a hair more. I wouldn't get too cheeky with more than that. Gain refers to how much light is reflected back. A screen with a gain higher than 1 reflects more than a neutral surface would, so more gain = brighter image. Think of it as "focusing" light back to your eyes. More gain can also narrow the viewing cone before large brightness drop off due to this focusing effect. A matte white screen is best, they usually have gains in the 1.1-1.3 range.

#8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPS13  /t/1534025/not-my-first-rodeo-but-i-do-need-help#post_24793895

If you want blacks, you want the JVC. I don't see any disadvantage unless you're really stepping up to a big screen size, as the Epson probably has a little more horsepower to light up the big screen.

The JVC will do 120", maybe a hair more. I wouldn't get too cheeky with more than that. Gain refers to how much light is reflected back. A screen with a gain higher than 1 reflects more than a neutral surface would, so more gain = brighter image. Think of it as "focusing" light back to your eyes. More gain can also narrow the viewing cone before large brightness drop off due to this focusing effect. A matte white screen is best, they usually have gains in the 1.1-1.3 range.

How would you feel the JVC would perform for gaming as well as it seems like it's strictly for movies?

Very helpful info on the screen! Yeah 120 inches is actually the most i want now that I have more measurements for the home theater room.

It really is down to the Sony, JVC, and epson in that order.

#9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinlg  /t/1534025/not-my-first-rodeo-but-i-do-need-help#post_24786460

I looked at the Sony and no one seems impressed with its black levels so that's out of the question.
This is still a fairly big question. The Sony uses LCoS technology, so it should have phenomenal blacks, but doesn't deliver on that. Instead - IT LOOKS MORE LIKE THE 5030.

So, yeah, people aren't impressed, but I'm thinking that they wanted a projector with far better blacks than the 5030, which the Sony doesn't deliver. How it actually compares, head to head, to the Epson is very much in question at this point.

For gaming, the JVC is not great. 87.1ms response time according to CNET, 45ms from hdtvtest.uk.

I'm not sure why there is such a gap, but 45ms is about 3 frames, which isn't really bad, but 87 runs at over 5 frames of lag, which is pretty significant. So, if you are a serious gamer, then the X35/RS46 isn't appropriate for you, but I wouldn't discount the 40ES, and certainly the Epson is an option.

#10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated  /t/1534025/not-my-first-rodeo-but-i-do-need-help#post_24794602

This is still a fairly big question. The Sony uses LCoS technology, so it should have phenomenal blacks, but doesn't deliver on that. Instead - IT LOOKS MORE LIKE THE 5030.

So, yeah, people aren't impressed, but I'm thinking that they wanted a projector with far better blacks than the 5030, which the Sony doesn't deliver. How it actually compares, head to head, to the Epson is very much in question at this point.

For gaming, the JVC is not great. 87.1ms response time according to CNET, 45ms from hdtvtest.uk.

I'm not sure why there is such a gap, but 45ms is about 3 frames, which isn't really bad, but 87 runs at over 5 frames of lag, which is pretty significant. So, if you are a serious gamer, then the X35/RS46 isn't appropriate for you, but I wouldn't discount the 40ES, and certainly the Epson is an option.

So the sony's blacks compare to the 5030, but the JVC has the best blacks but has slight input lag, I can pass on some gaming for better black performance honestly and just play in the living room or something like that

I'm still torn between the three, this is going to be very difficult.

#11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinlg  /t/1534025/not-my-first-rodeo-but-i-do-need-help#post_24796142

So the sony's blacks compare to the 5030, but the JVC has the best blacks but has slight input lag, I can pass on some gaming for better black performance honestly and just play in the living room or something like that

I'm still torn between the three, this is going to be very difficult.
Keep a close eye on the Sony 40ES thread. The 5030 vs. 40ES question is not easy to answer right now because so few have the 40ES, and nobody really has a 5030 to compare against. But, it turns out someone does. They just posted in there and you should read their response(s). They prefer the 40ES for black levels and gaming quality over the 5030.

It's just hard not to throw the 5030 out as an option because the Sony is also a bit quieter than the 5030, and I think it's a bit less cash.

#12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated  /t/1534025/not-my-first-rodeo-but-i-do-need-help#post_24798690

Keep a close eye on the Sony 40ES thread. The 5030 vs. 40ES question is not easy to answer right now because so few have the 40ES, and nobody really has a 5030 to compare against. But, it turns out someone does. They just posted in there and you should read their response(s). They prefer the 40ES for black levels and gaming quality over the 5030.

It's just hard not to throw the 5030 out as an option because the Sony is also a bit quieter than the 5030, and I think it's a bit less cash.

I made up my mind and going with the 40es

now since I have it narrowed down, I can research best prices and screens!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.