BenQ W1070+ new version of the W1070 with WHDMI and MHL - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 16Likes

post #61 of 78 Old 03-07-2016, 10:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
I don't see anything unsafe about either that grille treatment or lens mask to reduce light leakage.
Hm I thought that blocking the heat from the vent could lead to overheating. It looks like the heat could go back in projector.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 78 Old 03-07-2016, 11:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 3787 Post(s)
Liked: 3001
If you look closely at the vent add-on, it's not blocking the vent but just redirecting the hot air flow. If it were me I would have redirected the airflow either up or to the other side instead of toward the lens. But I don't think it makes a huge difference. It's a pretty quick and dirty modification with what looks to be something like black colored cardboard. It wouldn't be that hard to make something a little more effective and finished looking.
post #63 of 78 Old 03-07-2016, 12:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothamite View Post
... One thing that actually could be alarming is how much the RBE enhanced when I played around the walls. I noticed it's much more enhanced when I projected it on white ceiling. ...
Do not project on the ceiling!

Sorry this didn't dawn on me earlier. But there's a specific warning in the W1075+ user manual that says:

Quote:
2. Always place the projector on a level, horizontal surface during operation.

- Do not use if tilted at an angle of more than 10 degrees left to right, nor at angle of more than 15 degrees front to back.
To project on the ceiling would require tilting the projector way more than a 15 degree angle front to back. The BenQ warning not to do this may be related to possibly causing damage to the projector. It's not worth the risk.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 78 Old 03-07-2016, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Do not project on the ceiling!

Sorry this didn't dawn on me earlier. But there's a specific warning in the W1075+ user manual that says:

To project on the ceiling would require tilting the projector way more than a 15 degree angle front to back. The BenQ warning not to do this may be related to possibly causing damage to the projector. It's not worth the risk.
Thanks for the heads up, I must have missed that in user manual.
Luckily I didn't have time to play around with it but will tonight, so I'll avoid projecting on the ceiling.

I did try increasing the brightness on dark cherry wall but the blacks suffer tremendously.
post #65 of 78 Old 03-11-2016, 01:59 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
input lagg

Like sodvepas, I'm about to buy my first projector and I'm wondering if it's worth getting the w1070 instead of the + version, as I'll be doing a lot of gaming on it. Would 49ms be noticeable compared to the w1070's 33ms?

Thanks guys
post #66 of 78 Old 03-11-2016, 10:12 PM

Guys can anyone share the calibration settings for w1070+?

I was messing around colors by myself and I got pretty close to the colors of the current PC monitor but not sure if it's safe to do it myself?

and why do people pay a lot of money to get it calibrated, what do they do differently that you can't do it yourself?
post #67 of 78 Old 05-14-2016, 05:30 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothamite View Post
Guys can anyone share the calibration settings for w1070+?

I was messing around colors by myself and I got pretty close to the colors of the current PC monitor but not sure if it's safe to do it myself?

and why do people pay a lot of money to get it calibrated, what do they do differently that you can't do it yourself?
If you don't want to spend on it, just grab a real life product and search for the its color correct image with google. If you have good eyes, you can quite nicely set it up, if you don't, then it doesn't matter anyway.
post #68 of 78 Old 05-14-2016, 05:45 PM

Vertical offset vs mounting distance from ceiling

Hi,

I am about to finally mount a Benq W1070+ projector with ceiling mount to watch it on a 100" EliteScreens Saker screen.
Though, I am not sure if I understand the vertical offset data in the manual (attached picture).
It says, for a 100" screen, the min distance should be at least 2532mm, the average should be 2911mm, the max should be at 3291mm, while the vertical offset is 62mm.
What does the 62mm vertical offset mean? I understand I need to take the 1245mm height of the screen and add this 62mm to its top to get it, but what information does it give for mounting?

1. If the top of the screen is 80mm away from the ceiling, then should the projector be installed with the lens exactly at 18mm, or more than 18mm from the ceiling?
2. As the 62mm is exact distance, not percentage as in instructions of other brands, is it given for the average (2911mm) screen distance?
3. Using a popular calculator on the net (http://www.projectorcentral.com/BenQ...calculator.htm), I created some screenshots for the above mentioned distances (min, avg, max). Why are the scales in the red zone? What does it mean?

Thanks for any help!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	offset.png
Views:	79
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	1439138   Click image for larger version

Name:	projektor_tav_idealis.png
Views:	88
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	1439146   Click image for larger version

Name:	projektor_tav_legkozelebb.png
Views:	87
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	1439154   Click image for larger version

Name:	projektor_tav_legtavolabb.png
Views:	83
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	1439162  

Last edited by falconium; 05-15-2016 at 12:04 PM. Reason: adding new question
post #69 of 78 Old 05-15-2016, 12:01 PM

Is there a general forum where this information is explained?
post #70 of 78 Old 05-15-2016, 02:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconium View Post
... Why are the scales in the red zone? What does it mean? ...
The scales in the red zone match up with the wording in red -- Recommended image brightness for rooms with ambient light. If, for example, you increase screen size the image will become dimmer, the scale will move into the green zone and the wording in green will read Recommended image brightness for low ambient light. However, the calculaters are not entirely accurate for this reading because each projector has different settings with different brightness levels.

Quote:
Is there a general forum where this information is explained?
Exactly what information are you asking about? If you're asking about vertical offset it's described in detail in the BenQ user manual for each projector model.
post #71 of 78 Old 05-15-2016, 02:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Only took four years

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraine View Post
BenQ will bring out this fall a newer version of his successfull projector the W1070. This new model will offer more brightness 2200 lumens, MHL capacity and also a new wireless connexion type. Two versions will be offered, the W1070+ without the wireless box (price TBE around 900€) and the W1070+W that will includes the WFHD transmitter and receiver. (Price TBE around 1200€).

http://www.projection-homecinema.fr/...ison-sans-fil/

As a w1070 owner, I sense your excitement. Let's face it, this was and perhaps still is a break-through PJ from 2012. I still enjoy mine. At the time, a whole lot of PJ for the money.

But, as everyone here knows, tech marches on.

For me, it's not what BenQ does with yesterday's tech, it's what they do with today's tech, 4k and HDR.
I'm betting they are up to the task.
post #72 of 78 Old 05-17-2016, 12:17 PM

Quote:
The scales in the red zone match up with the wording in red -- Recommended image brightness for rooms with ambient light. If, for example, you increase screen size the image will become dimmer, the scale will move into the green zone and the wording in green will read Recommended image brightness for low ambient light. However, the calculaters are not entirely accurate for this reading because each projector has different settings with different brightness levels.

Exactly what information are you asking about? If you're asking about vertical offset it's described in detail in the BenQ user manual for each projector model.
Thanks, Gave, I think this explains my question about the color range!
Why is the scale coloring changes in each setting? More distance is allowed with less zoom?
My question about the general topic was about how it was advisable to mount a projector taking the vertical offset into consideration.
Anyhow, I am about to mount it, but not sure about the ideal position. The top of the white part of the screen is 42cm (16.5 inches) from the ceiling. Not sure about the throw distance either. I can go as far as 3.8m (150 inches).
Most probably the lesser use of keystone and maybe zoom in the middle position is optimal, but not sure.
I just noticed that the projector creates some shaded frame (the blackest it can produce) around the frame of useful picture if not using the full zoom. Is this normal?

Sorry, many questions...

Last edited by falconium; 05-17-2016 at 12:20 PM.
post #73 of 78 Old 05-17-2016, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Why is the scale coloring changes in each setting? More distance is allowed with less zoom?
My question about the general topic was about how it was advisable to mount a projector taking the vertical offset into consideration.
Anyhow, I am about to mount it, but not sure about the ideal position. The top of the white part of the screen is 42cm (16.5 inches) from the ceiling. Not sure about the throw distance either. I can go as far as 3.8m (150 inches).
Most probably the lesser use of keystone and maybe zoom in the middle position is optimal, but not sure.
I just noticed that the projector creates some shaded frame (the blackest it can produce) around the frame of useful picture if not using the full zoom. Is this normal?

Sorry, many questions...
I made some calculations with my room and screen parameters on Benq's website.
Should I mount the projector (lens) 2.94m away from the screen and 0.36m down from the ceiling (lens center-ceiling distance) for ideal mounting?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	benq projector position w1070+.png
Views:	104
Size:	195.1 KB
ID:	1443594  
post #74 of 78 Old 05-17-2016, 01:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 101 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1611 Post(s)
Liked: 1184
Quote:

Sorry, many questions...
You are really over thinking this.

You have a 100" screen.

The lens to screen distance may be ANYWHERE between 8'4" to 10'11" (or 255cm to 333cm).

The height above the top of the screen should be between about 1 to 4 inches as the W1070 has a bit of lens shift. A bit more or less is more than recommended, and shooting for 3" is best. So, if your screen is 16.5" from the ceiling, mount the projector so the center of the lens is 13.5" from the ceiling. Maybe a bit less (12" for example), but not more than 15" from the ceiling.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #75 of 78 Old 05-17-2016, 02:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
... Most probably the lesser use of keystone and maybe zoom in the middle position is optimal, but not sure. ...
Digital keystone should always be avoided if at all possible to achieve the best image as it degrades the image. As AV_Integrated said, mounting the projector anywhere within its throw range is fine. Most people mount their projector anywhere within its throw range where it's most convenient and out of the way. Just follow AV_Integrated's advice and you won't have to use keystone and everything will be fine.
post #76 of 78 Old 05-18-2016, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post
You are really over thinking this.

You have a 100" screen.

The lens to screen distance may be ANYWHERE between 8'4" to 10'11" (or 255cm to 333cm).

The height above the top of the screen should be between about 1 to 4 inches as the W1070 has a bit of lens shift. A bit more or less is more than recommended, and shooting for 3" is best. So, if your screen is 16.5" from the ceiling, mount the projector so the center of the lens is 13.5" from the ceiling. Maybe a bit less (12" for example), but not more than 15" from the ceiling.
Thanks a lot for the confirmation!
Just one more thing to learn. How did you get the recommended distances, from the 110-130% vertical offset? And if yes, how? Thanks.
post #77 of 78 Old 05-18-2016, 07:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 101 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1611 Post(s)
Liked: 1184
Quote:
Thanks a lot for the confirmation!
Just one more thing to learn. How did you get the recommended distances, from the 110-130% vertical offset? And if yes, how? Thanks.
110% to 130% is not correct. The wording is wrong and the actual figures are wrong. 5% +/- 5% is more accurate.

50" tall screen.

5" = 10%
15" = 30%

But, that's not correct. The available range seems to be closer to 10% of screen height, starting about 3% of screen height above the top of the screen.

So, a screen height of 50" means you have about 5" of usable lens shift.

3% of 50" is 1.5". So, the lowest the lens could be is about 1.5" above the top of the screen. Then it could be as high as about 6.5" above the top of the screen.

This is why about 3" is such a good number to work with on the W1070/1075/2050 models. It works with almost all screen sizes from 80" to 160" in size and gives you some leeway if you are off by an inch or so. Also, the amount of offset is reported differently from different reviews, so I have seen 0% (flush) of initial offset, to 10% (the number you just provided). I know that neither of those is correct, and that it is closer to 0% than it is 10% at the low end. The range is certainly about 10% of image height.

Now you have an explanation, but it doesn't change that 3 inches is the vertical offset you are shooting for. Give or take an inch and you should still be perfectly fine.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #78 of 78 Old 05-30-2016, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post
110% to 130% is not correct. The wording is wrong and the actual figures are wrong. 5% +/- 5% is more accurate.

50" tall screen.

5" = 10%
15" = 30%

But, that's not correct. The available range seems to be closer to 10% of screen height, starting about 3% of screen height above the top of the screen.

So, a screen height of 50" means you have about 5" of usable lens shift.

3% of 50" is 1.5". So, the lowest the lens could be is about 1.5" above the top of the screen. Then it could be as high as about 6.5" above the top of the screen.

This is why about 3" is such a good number to work with on the W1070/1075/2050 models. It works with almost all screen sizes from 80" to 160" in size and gives you some leeway if you are off by an inch or so. Also, the amount of offset is reported differently from different reviews, so I have seen 0% (flush) of initial offset, to 10% (the number you just provided). I know that neither of those is correct, and that it is closer to 0% than it is 10% at the low end. The range is certainly about 10% of image height.

Now you have an explanation, but it doesn't change that 3 inches is the vertical offset you are shooting for. Give or take an inch and you should still be perfectly fine.
Thanks for taking the time to answer.
I am now looking for mounts to match the distance, which is 36cm away from the ceiling (lens center), but there is no matching one.
Usually the height of the mount stops at maximum 20cm and then can be extended with a rod longer that raises the minimum distance to at least 45cm.
Can I buy one with 20cm height and adjust the lossless vertical shift of the lens to match the gap? Based on my hypothesis, it should compensate 10% of the distance, which would give about maximum 30cm (300cm screen-projector distance).
Is this correct?
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page